ITE importance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermie1985

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any current dermatologists who would know the answer to this....Does the score on your ITE exams matter for anything outside of your home program (i.e. making chief resident, internal progress evaluation, etc.)? In other words, do you disclose your ITE exam scores when applying for academic jobs, applying for fellowships, or applying for jobs after residency?

I'm just wondering this. My residency program that I matched to doesn't place a huge emphasis on ITEs (I think they just want you to score above 30 or 40% or something ridiculously low like that). Given that all the residents I've talked have complained about how hopelessly irrelevant a lot of the ITE is (insane minutiae)...I'm just wondering how much I should ultimately end up worrying about things like ITE scores when I enter residency.

Ultimately want a clinical instructor/assistant clinical professor track job at a good program after residency.

Members don't see this ad.

You should not worry about your ITE score as it relates to future job prospects, because they are mutually exclusive. This piece of advice will likely not assuage your concern. Afterall, you're a budding derm, and therefore hopelessly neurotic.

My advice is drink more beer.

Reactions: 1 user
In-training exam doesn't matter much outside of residency. It's true role is to identify areas of weakness and identify residents who are in danger of not passing boards. Unfortunately, the board certification exam contains an excess of "insane minutiae."

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that the ITE has no bearing on how good of a dermatologist you will be and will most likely not affect your job prospects. With that said, I did very well the last two years and was able to put in on my CV. Surprisingly, some of the partners and recruiters I have come into contact with while interviewing for jobs have commented on my ITE scores saying they were very impressed by it. Also, your program director and sometimes the entire department faculty will know your score. Fair or not, this will shape their impressions about you and I can honestly say that I have often been given favorable treatment probably because of my ITE scores.

For any current dermatologists who would know the answer to this....Does the score on your ITE exams matter for anything outside of your home program (i.e. making chief resident, internal progress evaluation, etc.)? In other words, do you disclose your ITE exam scores when applying for academic jobs, applying for fellowships, or applying for jobs after residency?

I'm just wondering this. My residency program that I matched to doesn't place a huge emphasis on ITEs (I think they just want you to score above 30 or 40% or something ridiculously low like that). Given that all the residents I've talked have complained about how hopelessly irrelevant a lot of the ITE is (insane minutiae)...I'm just wondering how much I should ultimately end up worrying about things like ITE scores when I enter residency.

Ultimately want a clinical instructor/assistant clinical professor track job at a good program after residency.

I've known fellowship programs to ask for your ITE exam scores

My question for the OP is this: what do you have to lose from studying hard and doing well on your ITE? Just because derm has relatively easier hours than other residencies doesn't mean we're not expected to "work" outside of clinic. I actually view at home studying as part of my training. Yes, the ITE does test some minutiae but I do think the vast majority of questions are pretty fair and you would do well if you just kept up with your reading. I understand that some programs do work their residents much harder and they have less time for studying so if it's a matter of choosing time to spend with family vs reading genodermatoses, then it's not as straightforward. But if you're at a program that gives you plenty of time to study, I don't think you have an excuse not to do decent on the ITE. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited:

It is utterly irrelevant when it comes to anything new outside your home program and how it shapes their view of you. I've applied broadly in multiple fellowships without ever being asked once about my ITE scores. Also interviewed for many jobs (academic, Derm only practices and MSGs) without once being asked about it. Publications, strength of training programs (med school and residency), letters of Rec and perceived competence are all that matters.

It is utterly irrelevant when it comes to anything new outside your home program and how it shapes their view of you. I've applied broadly in multiple fellowships without ever being asked once about my ITE scores. Also interviewed for many jobs (academic, Derm only practices and MSGs) without once being asked about it. Publications, strength of training programs (med school and residency), letters of Rec and perceived competence are all that matters.

How much do publications matter when applying for private practice/non-academic positions?

I agree that the ITE has no bearing on how good of a dermatologist you will be and will most likely not affect your job prospects. With that said, I did very well the last two years and was able to put in on my CV. Surprisingly, some of the partners and recruiters I have come into contact with while interviewing for jobs have commented on my ITE scores saying they were very impressed by it. Also, your program director and sometimes the entire department faculty will know your score. Fair or not, this will shape their impressions about you and I can honestly say that I have often been given favorable treatment probably because of my ITE scores.

I think there is a difference between "studying hard" and "studying hard to do well on the ITE". At the end of medical school and after having gone through so many Step and shelf exams, I'm not convinced that doing well on standardized tests makes you a better physician and want to concentrate on "studying to be a good physician" for residency. This might mean sacrificing memorizing all the different types of snake/spider bites and anti-venom at some point, or something else relatively pointless in my mind that I've seen residents studying for the ITE.

At the end of the day, you want to make sure you're a good clinician and part of that requires that you are well read. I would imagine that if you are studying hard to be a good physician, you'll do just fine on the ITE. I do not think one is mutually exclusive of the other as you suggest.

How much do publications matter when applying for private practice/non-academic positions?
Publications are also not terribly helpful for private practice jobs. Training "pedigree" is, as is personality and who you know.