Ivy League doesn't have pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lest we not have the proper perspective, "Ivy League" originally described a now largely irrelevant athletic conference and the term was eventually taken to a be a kind of antonomasia (or whatever the appropriate term is). I never heard anyone affiliated with Harvard boasting about the Ivy League through Cornell in college basketball like SEC never-rans reppin' that conference via LSU and UF in college football.

You're right, but Ivy League schools have similar histories and cultures of academics- much more homogeneous than the relationship between other athletic conferences and their academic histories. And unfortunately, similar histories of exclusivity. The SEC (and many other conferences are much more regionally based). But look at the "Big East" and you even have new additions like Cincinnati and Louisville, which hardly even have common regions. Admittedly, I'm a Big East fan so I still would boast if any team other than UCONN wins it all.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you saying Louisville and Cinci don't have common regions to EACH OTHER or to the rest of the Big East?

Both. Neither are really thought of as eastern schools in the traditional sense, and these schools share very little in common with regards to their regional histories. Not that I have anything against these schools, but no clue how they ended up in the "Big East". That conference just seemed to balloon. It should be called "Conference Whatever" at this point. These are examples of random conference selections.

Both. Neither are really thought of as eastern schools in the traditional sense, and these schools share very little in common with regards to their regional histories. Not that I have anything against these schools, but no clue how they ended up in the "Big East". That conference just seemed to balloon. It should be called "Conference Whatever" at this point.

Well, the ACC has Boston...which isn't remotely close to any other school.

The Big East has several Midwest/rustbelt teams. Notre Dame, Marquette, DePaul, Louisville, Cincinnati, and the Yinzers. (Oh we forgot about the non-basketball schools...mmmhmmm)

Actually, WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse could be regionally seen as Eastern or Midwestern. Hell, WVU fits the geography of the ACC, SEC, Big East, AND ACC.

Well, the ACC has Boston...which isn't remotely close to any other school.

The Big East has several Midwest/rustbelt teams. Notre Dame, Marquette, DePaul, Louisville, Cincinnati, and the Yinzers. (Oh we forgot about the non-basketball schools...mmmhmmm)

Actually, WVU, Pitt, and Syracuse could be regionally seen as Eastern or Midwestern. Hell, WVU fits the geography of the ACC, SEC, Big East, AND ACC.

hehe and to further complicate things, mostly all of WVU's basketball team this past season were from NY and NJ. Being in the Big East made it as east as can be in composition. Another reason I was rooting for for them. :thumbup:

On a totally tangential note- what's the status on that WVU player's injury? He seemed like a good example of what is right with student athletes.. Definitely deserves to finally earn some money in the NBA.

Both. Neither are really thought of as eastern schools in the traditional sense, and these schools share very little in common with regards to their regional histories. Not that I have anything against these schools, but no clue how they ended up in the "Big East". That conference just seemed to balloon. It should be called "Conference Whatever" at this point. These are examples of random conference selections.

Louisville and Cincinnati are VERY close together, about an hour and a half. Not far from WVU either.

Louisville was a member of Conference USA for years, which wasn't really a geographically based conference either.

Do we really need an ivy league education to push pills? :soexcited:

Reactions: 1 users
why...did this old ass thread get revived?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys. Let me know your thoughts as to why ivy league schools don't have pharmacy programs. Thanks.

The same reason they don't have training programs for auto mechanics or cosmotology.

I think the bigger question is...why does the pharmacy profession still exist?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the bigger question is...why does the pharmacy profession still exist?

Supposedly, there is a law out there that requires someone overseeing the dispensing and yadayada of meds. This just means 10 techs, and 1 pharmacist in one store. Not sure why 4 years of tuition is needed to do this task...

What kind of weird windows would provider status for pharmacists open up? That's a question the brightest will have trouble answering.

The same reason they don't have training programs for auto mechanics or cosmotology.

The real question is, who provides more of a valued service.....auto mechanics and cosmologists or liberal arts and comparative literature majors?

The real question is, who provides more of a valued service.....auto mechanics and cosmologists or liberal arts and comparative literature majors?

We always need barbers and even car mechanics... Not so much for lit majors.... Thats prob the reason we can find lit majors working at McD or groceries but not babers or car mechanics... LoL :)

We always need barbers and even car mechanics... Not so much for lit majors.... Thats prob the reason we can find lit majors working at McD or groceries but not babers or car mechanics... LoL :)

Yup, and the reason many people think Ivy schools are overrated...they aren't training people for jobs that actually exist.

"And Ivy schools are for douchebags that didn't have a childhood and just overachieved in high school, anyway."

That's not true at all. They are well rounded and don't all have silly straight A's. They come from all walks of life and a variety of backgrounds. And theses schools, like Princeton, don't have inflated tuitions. Furthermore, they also offer, and many students like my sister receive/ed scholarships.

Yup, and the reason many people think Ivy schools are overrated...they aren't training people for jobs that actually exist.
I don't think they are overrated for that reason. After all the same degrees offered at these schools are also offered at Jubipbop. It's one thing to go to school to become educated, and it's another to just choose something which will make good money. There is value in having an educated society. I understand many schools crank out students with useless degrees, I myself have fallen for that having gotten a Masters in Health Sciences from Johns Hopkins. And, many of the schools mislead students into certain degrees.

Ivy schools are overrated in that people think that if they go to these schools it's an automatic ticket to a good job, and this isn't true. It used to be that way, but then again, it used to be that way if you had a college education. Welcome to 2014 where everyone has a degree, or two or three or four :/ or an MBA or a JD or a PharmD, or where half the population has the title "doctor".

I don't think they are overrated for that reason. After all the same degrees offered at these schools are also offered at Jubipbop. It's one thing to go to school to become educated, and it's another to just choose something which will make good money. There is value in having an educated society. I understand many schools crank out students with useless degrees, I myself have fallen for that having gotten a Masters in Health Sciences from Johns Hopkins. And, many of the schools mislead students into certain degrees.

Ivy schools are overrated in that people think that if they go to these schools it's an automatic ticket to a good job, and this isn't true. It used to be that way, but then again, it used to be that way if you had a college education. Welcome to 2014 where everyone has a degree, or two or three or four :/ or an MBA or a JD or a PharmD, or where half the population has the title "doctor".

Huh ??

Maybe there is a good value in having a lot of lit major after all ;) lol

Last edited:
I don't think they are overrated for that reason. After all the same degrees offered at these schools are also offered at Jubipbop. It's one thing to go to school to become educated, and it's another to just choose something which will make good money. There is value in having an educated society. "

True, which makes me question why don't Ivy League schools offer trade programs alone with their education? I would venture that people spend much more time talking to their hair dresser, then they do talking lit majors. So, following your point that its good for society to be educated, wouldn't it be better to educate the front line careers who spend the most time interacting (and spreading their education!) with the public?

I have known Ivy League grads who chose blue collar jobs after school. Kind of an F-U to society I guess? Some people are super smart but not really into money. The car talk guys graduated from MIT and earned advanced degrees but worked as mechanics. I also knew an anesthesiologist who was a theater major as an undergrad.

True, which makes me question why don't Ivy League schools offer trade programs alone with their education? I would venture that people spend much more time talking to their hair dresser, then they do talking lit majors. So, following your point that its good for society to be educated, wouldn't it be better to educate the front line careers who spend the most time interacting (and spreading their education!) with the public?

definition of "University" from Wikipedia,

"A university (Latin: universitas, "a whole") is an institution of higher education and research which grants academic degrees in a variety of subjects and provides both undergraduate education and postgraduate education. The word "university" is derived from the Latin universitas magistrorum et scholarium, which roughly means "community of teachers and scholars."[1]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/University

So, by that definition, universities are not supposed to offer trade or vocational programs like cosmetologist or auto mechanic or house plumbing, etc as they are generally considered not higher education.

As why we do not see Ivy League (or even top 20 US universities ??) offering pharmacy programs, my guess is that, as top universities, they are trying to produce academic/intellectual/society leaders, and thus they are focusing their efforts on the schools that are the most likely to produce leaders such as medicine, law, government, etc. The fact that no Ivy League has a pharmacy program (or had then cancelled it) is telling me that they probably think that pharmacy is NOT likely to produce leaders.

I also think it is because rich people don't go to pharmacy school. It is hard work and you can make a decent living at it but not going to appeal to the old money crowd.

I also think it is because rich people don't go to pharmacy school. It is hard work and you can make a decent living at it but not going to appeal to the old money crowd.

nah.... medicine is way more harder and dirtier work (manual and labor involved) but rich kids still go there to become doctors... ;)

Could be because pharmacy was never really as "prestigious" as law or medicine when it comes to professional degrees. It's all about image.

Could be because pharmacy was never really as "prestigious" as law or medicine when it comes to professional degrees. It's all about image.

very possible !!

So, by that definition, universities are not supposed to offer trade or vocational programs like cosmetologist or auto mechanic or house plumbing, etc as they are generally considered not higher education.

Well yes, by definition they wouldn't offer such programs, but I'm talking theoretically. If the mission of an Ivy League is truly to promote knowledge (as their supports would say), then I question if the current Ivy League university set-up is the best way to meet the goals of that mission. Or, one could cynically ask, perhaps the real reason why Ivy League universities exist, is not the same as why their mission statements say they exist.

Well their associated medical centers have residency programs (at least Penn does), which is probably more important.

This whole discussion is irrelevant outside of the northeast, anyway. So you all can sort it out amongst yourselves...us Californians aren't impressed with ivy league schools, trust fund babies, or MBA's.

Well their associated medical centers have residency programs (at least Penn does), which is probably more important.

This whole discussion is irrelevant outside of the northeast, anyway. So you all can sort it out amongst yourselves...us Californians aren't impressed with ivy league schools, trust fund babies, or MBA's.

Btw, guess no medicine for this $#*+.... prob its terminal.... LoL