Job interview etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiteralLungs

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm finishing up a job soon, and interviewing next week for my next job. I thinking about asking them if I can delay my start date a few weeks/a month so I can finish and submit all of my secondaries. Is this appropriate? Should I also tell them I plan to start medical school next year? Should I make it known that I will need to take days off for interviews? I don't know all the details yet about how the work schedule. I think there are weekend shifts sometimes, so maybe this means I can request to work a weekend so that I have a weekday off for an interview? I'm assuming I might also get vacation days, so perhaps I can use those too.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Medical assistant
this is just my personal experience:

1)dont ask to delay employment, make it work without delaying
2) dont tell them about applying to medical schools
3) dont tell them ANYTHING till you have at least one acceotance
4) then, depending on the work culture, gauge if you should tell them ahead of time or just give 2-3 week notice. My old job was awesome, and i gave them 3 MONTH notice before starting medical school. But i have friends who were not as lucky in other places, and were practically pushed aside. So, till you know what it is like to work there, i would not tell anything to anyone

Reactions: 1 user
I'm finishing up a job soon, and interviewing next week for my next job. I thinking about asking them if I can delay my start date a few weeks/a month so I can finish and submit all of my secondaries. Is this appropriate? Should I also tell them I plan to start medical school next year? Should I make it known that I will need to take days off for interviews? I don't know all the details yet about how the work schedule. I think there are weekend shifts sometimes, so maybe this means I can request to work a weekend so that I have a weekday off for an interview? I'm assuming I might also get vacation days, so perhaps I can use those too.
You aren’t goong to work 90 hours a week, you can still write essays

Reactions: 5 users
just use "its a family personal matter" excuse. You never know ....

If I had 10 interviews, wouldn't that be strange if I had 10 personal family matters?

If I had 10 interviews, wouldn't that be strange if I had 10 personal family matters?
i am not trying to ask you to be dishonest, - i am telling you to be careful. People are not always nice, - some of them might be jealous of what you are doing, etc. You might lose your job over this.

i am not trying to ask you to be dishonest, - i am telling you to be careful. People are not always nice, - some of them might be jealous of what you are doing, etc. You might lose your job over this.

Thanks for your help. I just feel like that would be suspicious if I don't tell them anything and then I just start taking off days for unknown reasons, especially if it's soon after the job starts

Thanks for your help. I just feel like that would be suspicious if I don't tell them anything and then I just start taking off days for unknown reasons, especially if it's soon after the job starts
Then you get fired and you get another crappy job. Not a big deal, don’t skip interviews and don’t share details you don’t want to.

hey boss, when you make schedule in 3 weeks, I cannot be there on the 18th

why?

can’t be there, sorry. Have a thing going on

why?

it’s personal, can’t be there

you have to.

boss, i like this job. I work hard. I’m not coming the 18.

(you are then fired or not. Rinse. Wash. Repeat)

Reactions: 3 users
Then you get fired and you get another crappy job. Not a big deal, don’t skip interviews and don’t share details you don’t want to.

hey boss, when you make schedule in 3 weeks, I cannot be there on the 18th

why?

can’t be there, sorry. Have a thing going on

why?

it’s personal, can’t be there

you have to.

boss, i like this job. I work hard. I’m not coming the 18.

(you are then fired or not. Rinse. Wash. Repeat)

But then what happens for medical applications and interviews?

I worked as a medical assistant at this place.

Why did you leave so suddenly?

I got fired because I had to attend a medical school interview.

They contact my supervisor from the job, and he/she has nothing good to say about me and tells them how unprofessional I am.

I'm trying to be as risk-averse as I can

They contact my supervisor from the job, and he/she has nothing good to say about me and tells them how unprofessional I am.

How much time do you think these adcoms have

Reactions: 1 users

Not gonna happen

edit: to add, they are not as “on top” of things as you’re imagining.

way too many interviewers would ask me about activities/details that were meant for a different applicant.

Last edited by a moderator: