Job Shadowing Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cheathac

Purdue c/o 2021!!!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just started shadowing at a small animal vet clinic. Today was my second day. The hospital is pretty nice, accredited with boarding, grooming, rehab, etc. The techs and everyone are pretty nice. One tech in particular asks me if I have any questions and invites me along. The doctors don't seem to pay me attention much. I just asked some questions to one today she was very nice when responding, just curt. Maybe it's too early to tell. Should I just continue to ask questions? Offer my assistance? I just feel kind of awkward. Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask questions. As many as you can think of. Even if it's something small and seemingly silly, go ahead and ask. It'll show that you're interested. If people are buys, write down anything you want to ask and talk to your tech or vets when there's a little downtime. Have you personally introduced yourself to the vets yet?

Ok I tried today. It's hard for me to come up with questions, especially because I think they're dumb. I will make sure and get a notepad. And yes I was introduced to all the vets yesterday, there are 3. They just don't seem interested in me as much as I am in them. But I'm going to keep at it. I'm hoping once they see I'm dedicated, they will open up to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok I tried today. It's hard for me to come up with questions, especially because I think they're dumb. I will make sure and get a notepad. And yes I was introduced to all the vets yesterday, there are 3. They just don't seem interested in me as much as I am in them. But I'm going to keep at it. I'm hoping once they see I'm dedicated, they will open up to me.
Why do you think they're dumb? And it took me a while to think of questions to ask my vet, so don't be too worried.

I set up shadowing through the office manager. Idk why I think they're dumb. I'm not one to back down so I'll keep trying. It's only the second day.

I set up shadowing through the office manager. Idk why I think they're dumb. I'm not one to back down so I'll keep trying. It's only the second day.

So you need to be the proactive one. The vets aren't there to hold your hand while you are shadowing. They may not have even known you were coming until the day you showed up. You need to ask questions when you feel comfortable, ask if you can observe them doing something, ask them to explain what they are doing and why. However, don't be annoying, if they look really busy then just observe and ask questions later. However, it isn't their responsibility to stop and talk with you and ask you if you have questions. You need to speak up and ask questions.

Bringing a small notebook is a good idea, you can write down things you see and then maybe towards the end of the day ask one of the techs or vets if you can ask some questions about things that happened that day.

@DVMDream thanks for the great advice! My personality is that I'm a little shy at first, then I'll open up. I'll be sure to get a notebook and ask questions like you stated. If these vets are going to be potential LORs, I want it to go well.

@DVMDream thanks for the great advice! My personality is that I'm a little shy at first, then I'll open up. I'll be sure to get a notebook and ask questions like you stated. If these vets are going to be potential LORs, I want it to go well.

Yeah, it is hard at first when you aren't sure what is going on and you don't know anyone. It can also be hard to know for sure if the vets are really busy or not. I think you will be ok if you politely ask at some point to either a vet or tech, "Hey, I have some questions about things that happened today, are you busy right now or can I ask you some questions?"

If you are polite about it, you should be ok. :)

How long are you going to be shadowing? In my experience, some doctors who are used to having people come and go are sometimes a little more reserved until they get to know you a little bit and get to see that you're serious and interested. If I were you, I'd follow everyone's suggestions about continuing to ask questions, bringing a notebook, being aware of when they may be too busy to talk to you, etc. and I would also just give it a little bit of time and try to be patient. Once they've seen you around a bit and seen you asking the techs questions, too, they might open up a little more. And do continue to chat with the techs. Even though they won't be writing you a LOR, you can really learn a lot from them, and IMO, it's just as important to understand the role they play. I learned so, so much from the techs I've worked with, and a lot of the time, they were able to answer questions for me when the doctors were too busy or too focused for me to interrupt them.

Reactions: 1 user
@missdarjeeling thanks for the response! I'll be doing around 15 hours a week this summer and I want to continue when I'm at school. One tech is extremely nice that often asks me if I have questions. I hope the doctors will open up soon.

Definitely ask questions, because now is the time to be learning some of the basics. It's far better to ask questions now than to get into vet school and then make it to your clinical year with big gaps in your knowledge. Plus, asking questions makes it clear that you're interested and want to learn. When I first started working in a clinic as a pre-vet, some of the techs thought I didn't want to be there because I was really quiet and didn't want to ask "stupid questions." It's okay to risk seeming overly-enthusiastic.

Asking good questions is one of the best things you can do for yourself. That's how my shadowing gig turned into a paid position. Pay attention/Ask questions/impress people. Put yourself out there and you never know what will happen, you don't get places in life by chilling in the corner!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been standing in a corner..... I've been asking questions, I helped restrained a few dogs and cats, and I drew up some vaccines with a little coaching. I just feel awkward.

Remember that the doctors have a lot going on. They are extremely busy working up cases and writing medical notes. They are more than likely not trying to be short with you, but are just caught up in what they are doing. Definitely ask questions though. I always found a good time to ask questions was during surgery about anatomy and about why they are doing what they are doing. They will probably start explaining things without asking once you show how interested you are. If things get really busy and hectic I would probably refrain from questions, but for the most part it should be fine.

That's true.. at times I just feel like they look right through me or don't even look at me.. but I'm determined to give it my best effort and come up with the courage to ask more questions and help as much as I can

Shadowing in general can be awkward at first. Just keep showing up and smiling a lot also helps ;)

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that asking questions is good.... But remember that they are there first to work and keep the clinic operational. Your education/experience is a distant "last" priority for them. So that means be sensitive to when it's a good time to ask questions and when it's better for everyone to watch and wait. I've had days where I wouldn't have had time to say more than "hi" to a shadower. It's not because I don't welcome them; just because I have to do my job first and foremost.

As long as they continue to let you spend time there and they're friendly, I wouldn't worry about it. It's ok to offer to help, or ask if you can, but don't just do something without asking.

Ok thank you! I'll continue. I just don't want to overstep my bounds

In my experience, smiling, saying good morning/hello/etc, how are you today, and a genuine thank you can go a long way. As you get more comfortable with asking questions, I would also suggest you steer away from questions that you can google the answer to (ex: "what is dermatitis?") and try to ask questions that are more more than that (ex: "are there any differences in how you would treat dermatitis in different dog breeds?"). But, as others have said, asking questions at all is a great place to start. :)

Keep at it! Shadowing does feel awkward until you get a feel for the groove of the clinic, how things work there, get to know the vets, etc, and can still be a little awkward occasionally even after that. Try your best, be respectful, be kind, and hang in there-- it is worth it. :)

Pro tip: I would also recommend bringing in cookies or something like that every once in a while. :)

Yes. Bring treats.
I think you're doing a good job not taking it personally. Remember that the vet may have 100 things on their mind and they're not trying to be rude. At my first job, my bosses would schedule shadow people randomly and not warn me. As a new grad I was trying to just get through the day and not kill anything, so to be honest the last thing I wanted was someone else to keep track of. My advice:
--Help with the little things: folding towels and blankets, cleaning up pee/poop, taking out trash, disinfecting exam tables.
--Keep showing up. People will open up if they get used to having you around.
--Observe different parts of the clinic. See if you can spend some time with the receptionists, the techs, the vets.
--If it's not busy/crazy, ask if you can observe a couple appointments with the vet (go into exam room etc)... and when you're in there... don't talk unless the clients talk to you.

P.S. And there is such a thing as a stupid question, but if you're self aware enough to wonder, it's probably not that stupid. I was once preparing to do a decapitation for rabies testing and a shadow asked me if I was going to cut off the head while the animal was alive, or wait until after I euthanized it. :whoa:

Also, remember that vets were in your position once. Everyone goes through some sort of shadowing or volunteering at some point. They were all new once. Questions are good, don't be intimidated to ask!

Thanks everyone! I can't wait to use some of these tonight when I shadow after work. @bunnity I have helped with sanitizing the tables and make to sure to ask if anything else needs done before leaving for the day. I shadowed in Oncology yesterday and really built some self confidence by asking questions that the doctor/tech said were great! Looking forward to tonight.

My questions haven't gotten any smarter now that I'm a vet......... Just sayin..... :)

Don't focus overly on the "medical" stuff; pay at least - or more - attention to how the docs talk/interact with clients, how management of the practice works, etc. You'll be ahead of the game if you do and talking with clients will be a lot more natural more quickly down the road.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes people will fall in love with you if you bring breakfast!

Also I agree with @LetItSnow . I've been a receptionist at a vet clinic for over a year now, as much as I want to learn all the technical/medical stuff, I do feel it's incredibly beneficial to interact with clients, handle client complaints and try to manage the day's flow. Never limit yourself by saying you're just a xxxxx, every position is important to the team. A good clinic should be like a well-oiled machine, so it's good to observe the dynamic and know maybe what kind of veterinarian you don't want to become. Just my 2 cents =)

Thanks for the great replies everyone! Watching the interaction between the clients is actually my favorite part. I was kind of worried that I'd be more interested in a tech's job.. but turn out I like the doctor's job better!

I have a question about veterinary experience hours. In terms of the application, will the vets need to sign off on the hours? I just shadowed a vet today that I didn't really like and I don't anticipate shadowing again but since I'm two years out from applying, do I need to ask them to sign a form logging my hours? Also, would being a receptionist at a vet clinic count as veterinary experience? Thanks!

Last edited:
Just kind of reiterating what everyone else has been saying, ask a lot of questions! I know that sometimes when I'm alone with the vet and she is doing something, even when I know what she is doing, I ask questions that I already know the answer to! Or I ask them to explain in detail about what they are doing at the moment. Obviously, gauge whether it is an appropriate time to ask questions, but even when you don't have any questions at the moment, just ask away! It will show that you are paying attention and that you are interested in what he/she is doing. Also, sometimes, I will get different answers from different vets about the same topic (can't think of something specific right now), but it allows you to gain a new perspective about a situation/method/etc., so you will be learning nonetheless! :)

I've been working at a diagnostic lab this summer.. I will have hundreds of hours there.. I'm leaning towards counting it as vet experience bc I'm working for pathologists.

Don't focus overly on the "medical" stuff; pay at least - or more - attention to how the docs talk/interact with clients, how management of the practice works, etc.

I agree. It's a little different because I'm older, and I think the vet can sense that, but a lot of my questions have been tailored to "big picture" rather than simply medical. It's always a good feeling when you can actively engage in a medical topic with the vet, to show your knowledge, but I think a lot of doctors appreciate questions regarding running a business, dealing with employees, dealing with finances, etc, etc. I think that shows you're forward thinking and not just approaching the career from a "Gonna save every animal in the world!" perspective.

^ This.

Lately, I've been making sure to more closely paying attention to vets and vet techs when they go into rooms and discuss issues and take history with the clients. I make mental notes of how they present the information and what they do to make the experience enjoyable/comforting/relaxing/understandable for the client and also how they deal with conflicts/difficult clients/stressful situations too. It's definitely given me a whole new respect for veterinarians and made me see the massive importance of good people and business skills in this profession (something I used to underestimate before).

I have a question about veterinary experience hours. In terms of the application, will the vets need to sign off on the hours? I just shadowed a vet today that I didn't really like and I don't anticipate shadowing again but since I'm two years out form applying, do I need to ask them to sign a form logging my hours? Also, would being a receptionist at a vet clinic count as veterinary experience? Thanks!
No, you don't need to get any kind of form signed. It's on you to keep track of your experience hours, and most of the time the schools you apply to won't contact your experiences to verify the hours unless something looks fishy.

There's been some debate on here previously about whether being a receptionist is veterinary experience, or just work experience. Personally I would argue that it is veterinary experience, but for the purposes of the VMCAS application, I wouldn't stress too much about the category as long as it makes sense to you and follows the app instructions. I would contact the schools you plan on applying to to find out how they value veterinary receptionist experience.

No, you don't need to get any kind of form signed. It's on you to keep track of your experience hours, and most of the time the schools you apply to won't contact your experiences to verify the hours unless something looks fishy.

There's been some debate on here previously about whether being a receptionist is veterinary experience, or just work experience. Personally I would argue that it is veterinary experience, but for the purposes of the VMCAS application, I wouldn't stress too much about the category as long as it makes sense to you and follows the app instructions. I would contact the schools you plan on applying to to find out how they value veterinary receptionist experience.

Thanks so much, that's really helpful!