Johns Hopkins Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bacillus1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So has anyone else applied to this thing besides me? If so, what did you think of the interview and what practice sites did you choose? Just curious as to how many people on this board applied for this internship (I bet I'm not the only one).

Members don't see this ad.

So has anyone else applied to this thing besides me? If so, what did you think of the interview and what practice sites did you choose? Just curious as to how many people on this board applied for this internship (I bet I'm not the only one).

Someone in my school did the internship last summer, and really liked it. She said the applicant pool is normally not that large. I was going to apply for it this year, but I never got around to it. Someone from my class got an interview though. When do you guys find out if you got it or not?

I know someone who did it a year or two ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Someone in my school did the internship last summer, and really liked it. She said the applicant pool is normally not that large. I was going to apply for it this year, but I never got around to it. Someone from my class got an interview though. When do you guys find out if you got it or not?

They said they'll tell us late Jan. or early Feb.

I applied to it during my P2 year, and was interviewed. It was a phone interview. Don't be deceived, the applicant pool is a little large...and increases annually. They prob should be around 150-200 applicants now, and people apply from all over the country. Your academic record doesn't really seem to matter that much, moreso your work experience, RESEARCH and PROJECTS, and your enthusiasm. I was not accepted, but I had a near perfect GPA, had never worked at a hospital and never carried out any projects or whatever, although I also held office at a couple of school organizations ( which didnt seem to help). A friend of mine at my school who was a class ahead had actually failed 2 classes and had fallen back, but she was still given the opportunity to do it, which elutes me to the reasons above because she did some research with one of our professors. Just food for thought.
:(You could prob tell from my tone that I was dissappointed coz I was really looking forward to it. It is a good experience. The interview matters more than anything and be prepared to give answers. They WILL ask you what MAJOR projects you have undertaken and HOW did you go about it and WHAT were the results? They will ask you WHAT RESEARCH have you done. And HOW and WHY do you see yourself fitting into the internship program. I guarantee. I wish someone told me all I just told you at the time.
Good luck to you!!!

I applied to it during my P2 year, and was interviewed. It was a phone interview. Don't be deceived, the applicant pool is a little large...and increases annually. They prob should be around 150-200 applicants now, and people apply from all over the country. Your academic record doesn't really seem to matter that much, moreso your work experience, RESEARCH and PROJECTS, and your enthusiasm. I was not accepted, but I had a near perfect GPA, had never worked at a hospital and never carried out any projects or whatever, although I also held office at a couple of school organizations ( which didnt seem to help). A friend of mine at my school who was a class ahead had actually failed 2 classes and had fallen back, but she was still given the opportunity to do it, which elutes me to the reasons above because she did some research with one of our professors. Just food for thought.
:(You could prob tell from my tone that I was dissappointed coz I was really looking forward to it. It is a good experience. The interview matters more than anything and be prepared to give answers. They WILL ask you what MAJOR projects you have undertaken and HOW did you go about it and WHAT were the results? They will ask you WHAT RESEARCH have you done. And HOW and WHY do you see yourself fitting into the internship program. I guarantee. I wish someone told me all I just told you at the time.
Good luck to you!!!

Hmm, they didn't ask about research, but they did ask about projects. I told them about a letter-writing campaign I coordinated to advocate for a piece of state legislation. Hopefully that was good enough...Also a difficult situation I faced at the pharmacy. I believe all or most of the interviews are done now. The one thing that may be setting me back is that I've never had any hospital experience. I guess I'll see what happens.

I was offered the internship in Pharmacy Outcomes and Affairs today. I'm still unsure on what I am going to do about it. Without a housing stipend it will be really hard to come out ahead at the end of the summer. Also I hear the area around the hospital is really sketchy.... Does any one know where most the interns usually live?

I chose a variety of practice-based sites (since I am interested in clinical practice in the future), and wasn't offered a spot, so you better take it if you got it, since it seems really competitive. With how much you make, you still earn some money at the end, even if you have to rent a place. I thought the interview went well (I even had projects, though they weren't practice-based), but I guess they didn't like me because of my lack of hospital experience?

hey I got an email today as well and I didn't not get the summer position either =( and I thought my interview went really well too! I had experience and answered everything great...so not sure it must just really be hard! Good luck for the students that got it! I wonder what differentiated some students from other if students had hospital experience too?

For the ppl that got it, do you mind sharing your experiences? Thanks guys!!! =)

hi,
The area around JH is really bad.
might want to find housing in a safe place like downtown?
some of my classmates did the internship and had a good experience.
I had a lot of professional activities & project, but did not get the internship. While a friend who never been involved in anything besides school work got it.

hi,
The area around JH is really bad.
might want to find housing in a safe place like downtown?
some of my classmates did the internship and had a good experience.
I had a lot of professional activities & project, but did not get the internship. While a friend who never been involved in anything besides school work got it.

it seems like they have a lot of applicants to me. It also seems by the site that they try to chose ones from different schools. Maybe that is a factor. I can't see what else would be.

it seems like they have a lot of applicants to me. It also seems by the site that they try to chose ones from different schools. Maybe that is a factor. I can't see what else would be.

Yeah but so far no one out of our class that I know got it. I guess I'll check back in the summer to see who's doing it, and if anyone from USP that I don't know got it.

I wonder... sometimes, places will aim to get a variety of students w/ different backgrounds and there's no formula involved.

For example, say you have 2 USP students with rockin' hospital inpatient experience, research, and good interview. Then you get 2 Temple students with complete suck for hospital inpatient experience, same research/good interview as the USP students.

For the sake of having diff. sets of people (with/without hospital experience, etc...) they just might take 1 USP and 1 Temple student leaving that other USP student to wonder wtf is wrong with them.

Just a thought...it's a bad example, but it gets my point across i hope.

^ I had to respond to the above comment. I just got offered a position in Outpatient/Ambulatory within the Hopkins program, and I attend Temple. I am not sure about your theory. I know that I interviewed well (it seems everyone THINKS they did, but the perception might not be the reality), and I attended med school for a few years (thus taking care of my hospital experiences). I don't really have many pharmacy experiences (haven't started working in retail, etc.), but I have tried to do alot in my one semester here at Temple. I spearheaded a volunteership program, and ran a couple of free clinics while in med school, so they might have liked that. I also seemed really eager while applying (talking to Irish via the phone BEFORE I turned in my app, showing enthusiasm, etc.) I am not sure the numbers of the applicant pool, but I know that they were only offering about 15 -16 spots (according to the interview). I am excited, though I wanted the Administration position. I figured someone local has it, or a recurrent intern has it on reserve. Anyways, I am glad im in.

^ I had to respond to the above comment. I just got offered a position in Outpatient/Ambulatory within the Hopkins program, and I attend Temple. I am not sure about your theory. I know that I interviewed well (it seems everyone THINKS they did, but the perception might not be the reality), and I attended med school for a few years (thus taking care of my hospital experiences). I don't really have many pharmacy experiences (haven't started working in retail, etc.), but I have tried to do alot in my one semester here at Temple. I spearheaded a volunteership program, and ran a couple of free clinics while in med school, so they might have liked that. I also seemed really eager while applying (talking to Irish via the phone BEFORE I turned in my app, showing enthusiasm, etc.) I am not sure the numbers of the applicant pool, but I know that they were only offering about 15 -16 spots (according to the interview). I am excited, though I wanted the Administration position. I figured someone local has it, or a recurrent intern has it on reserve. Anyways, I am glad im in.

yeah, good job there. sorry i picked on temple, i was just pulling random schools out of my ass and bacillus goes to USP. i have too many friends at temple to make fun of it, haha

Apply for internships where you would like to work after graduating... so that you can get a job!

Experience with a company is more valuable than a summer internship, imo. Sure, it's not glamorous, but at least you'll have a solid shot at getting a job after you graduate.

Apply for internships where you would like to work after graduating... so that you can get a job!

Experience with a company is more valuable than a summer internship, imo. Sure, it's not glamorous, but at least you'll have a solid shot at getting a job after you graduate.

Good point. I would personally like to work at Johns Hopkins...preferably do my residency there. I think my "shot" would be a lot greater if I do an internship there during the summer, IMO.

hey I got an email today as well and I didn't not get the summer position either =( and I thought my interview went really well too! I had experience and answered everything great...so not sure it must just really be hard! Good luck for the students that got it! I wonder what differentiated some students from other if students had hospital experience too?

For the ppl that got it, do you mind sharing your experiences? Thanks guys!!! =)
I didn't apply for this internship, but pretty much the same scenario happened with a hospital near me that has an intern program. I had inpatient experience and the interview seemed to go well (introduced me to other pharmacists, showed me around the hospital).

For those of you who didn't get your internship (seems like there are a few of you in this thread), what are your plans now?

For those of you who didn't get your internship (seems like there are a few of you in this thread), what are your plans now?

Well my #1 choice would be the VALOR program, but the application period for that is really late and who knows if I'd get in. So far I applied to 2 local hospitals for a more permanent job, a public health summer internship and the CIGNA summer internship (mail order)...so a lot of different things. My mind set right now is basically "get me out of chain pharmacy for the summer". I guess I'll apply to VALOR when their application is posted and hope that I won't have to piss other people off by declining their internships.

Good point. I would personally like to work at Johns Hopkins...preferably do my residency there. I think my "shot" would be a lot greater if I do an internship there during the summer, IMO.
If you're deadset on doing a residency there, then do the internship. But you seem flaky, since you dropped out of med school, so it's probably pointless for you, too.

The easiest way to get on with a company is to work for them doing school. Since some students chose not to work during school, then they have to make their summers really count. If anyone plans on working at Johns Hopkins after they graduate, then the internship makes sense.

If you're deadset on doing a residency there, then do the internship. But you seem flaky, since you dropped out of med school, so it's probably pointless for you, too.

The easiest way to get on with a company is to work for them doing school. Since some students chose not to work during school, then they have to make their summers really count. If anyone plans on working at Johns Hopkins after they graduate, then the internship makes sense.

I disagree. My reason for applying for this internship was to gain exposure in hospital pharmacy practice, and I thought that JHU hospital was a great place to gain this exposure. FYI not all hospitals across the country are hiring. It was also good for me to obtain this exposure during the summer, since hospital work during the year can be quite unflexible, and I often need time off for various conferences and other things. I think this internship is good for anyone planning to pursue ANY pharmacy practice residency.

I am not sure why you state that I am "flaky". My goal is to do an Administration/MBA PGY-2 residency, and Johns Hopkins probably has the top residency in the country. Though I didn't get the internship/shadowing position with Dr. Ashby, I am still planning to build a relationship and make an impression.

I see my med school time as an advantage, simply because I know how a hospital is run inside and out. I don't think, however, that my stint there would be looked upon by a JHU residency director as a disadvantage, but quite the opposite. Even if I don't get the residency spot (there is only one per year I believe), having the internship on my CV, and Dr. Ashby as a possible reference should do well to improve my chances in acquiring another spot somewhere else.