Joining Military to pay for psy d

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i was told by the recruiter via phone that i was ineligible because i have a calf tattoo...kind of a bummer BUT definitely a cut and dry thing in terms of figuring out my next steps lol

Members don't see this ad.

i was told by the recruiter via phone that i was ineligible because i have a calf tattoo...kind of a bummer BUT definitely a cut and dry thing in terms of figuring out my next steps lol

For which branch? because tattoos are easily waived in the army especially if they are not visible in uniform which the calf wouldn't be. (for uniform think the ACU's or Dress uniform, pt's don't count). At least they were when I joined.

Mark,
I hope you're still around to answer questions.

I have a BS in Psych. I'm married (to a Marine Corps reservist who is deploying next spring) and we have 2 children. I'm over the weight limit by quite a bit, but I've been steadily losing since January.

I was interested in the scholarship program but now that I have learned about UHUHS, I'm in aw that such a program exists-- a school that I don't have to pay for? that is family friendly? that pays me to learn and become qualified? All so I can serve my country with my skill set. I'm enamored with this idea.

My questions -
Do I have to meet the physical standards before I even begin applying? And how long is the application process?
What's the schedule like while in school? Would it be plausible for me to go up there alone with my 2 kids and rely on daycare (say if my husband was deployed when it was time for school?)
How competitive are admissions? I graduated with honors, Cum Laude for my B.S. but I have no work experience. Do I have a chance?
Being that I have a husband who has military commitments and kids to worry about, would the HPSP be a better fit?

I just started emailing with the amedd recruiter (who is 3 hours away) and I'm asking her all these same questions, but you seem so knowledgeable that I had to ask!

I'm 25, female, and the only thing really holding me back is my weight (which is dwindling) and my concern as a mom.

Thanks to anyone who can answer!

Members don't see this ad :)
hit me with an email on SDN and I can give you some straight up info = did HPSP and currently am an Army Resident/ psychology/ captain on Active Duty at MAMC. I also served in the Navy as an Officer (SWO) via NROTC college = so I have allot of experience with military (and getting the military to pay for school), I can give you both the positives of HPSP/ the negatives, and serving on active duty as a psychologists, I also have pretty good insight into the "differences" of the branches (still don't think Navy or Air Force has HPSP scholarship though). Hit me up on SDN email.

Mark,
I hope you're still around to answer questions.

Do I have to meet the physical standards before I even begin applying?

no, but expect to be in shape by the time you show up to get interviewed. (January)

And how long is the application process?
Apps are accepted anytime but really most are submitted between September and the January 15th deadline. I would suggest that getting it in early is a good thing and you want to make sure you package is complete well before the dead line.

What's the schedule like while in school? Would it be plausible for me to go up there alone with my 2 kids and rely on daycare (say if my husband was deployed when it was time for school?)
It's possible, but the first 2 years are BRUTAL. You need to work pretty hard.. that said, I have seen multiple students who have juggled family responsibilities and still managed to successfully complete the program. I wouldn't recommend it, but it's possible. You will be VERY busy for 2-3 years. Year 4 is a little less stressful if all is going to plan... however some of the mom's said it was challenging because they were catching up on some missed classes.

How competitive are admissions? I graduated with honors, Cum Laude for my B.S. but I have no work experience. Do I have a chance?

Very competitive, but I have found that they are looking at more than just academics. I had a 4.0 and a 1300 GRE and didn't make the cut initially, I happened to be the second runner up... and I got in. So yes, it's competitive. Last year I believe 150 applicants applied for the 2 slots.

So don't let the academics slow you down, it's more about fit and getting the right people in. If you have solid academics and GRE scores, I would encourage you to apply. Your personal statement needs to be compelling... Why does the Navy want you to be their next USUHS graduate? What I have loved about the people that have been selected is that clearly there is no mold, diversity is encouraged and one of the reasons an older student like myself was competitive for the program. I can't tell you how lucky I really was in hindsight.

Being that I have a husband who has military commitments and kids to worry about, would the HPSP be a better fit?

I just started emailing with the amedd recruiter (who is 3 hours away) and I'm asking her all these same questions, but you seem so knowledgeable that I had to ask!

I'm 25, female, and the only thing really holding me back is my weight (which is dwindling) and my concern as a mom.

Thanks to anyone who can answer!
Good luck... I am still a student headed off to do my internship in Portsmouth. I clearly don't have all the answers, but I would encourage you to reach out and talk to the recruiters and training directors. They were quite helpful when I applied and I am sure that they will be equally helpful to you.

Mark

Welcome back from retirement, Mark. I got selected this round for Navy HPSP and the info you and others provided here was a great resource. I'll likely be down in Portsmouth in a couple years.

To OP, I'd echo what was said about the personal statement. I'm generally a chill person but I spent an inordinate amount of time writing and editing it given that it was less than a page long. For HPSP the board will never see you so this is the best and probably only way for them to get a picture of who you are.