June 18 or July 9th MCAT (applying this cycle)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeshigiu11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a junior and originally signed up for the June 2nd MCAT, thinking that I would have enough time to study while in school. I was wrong, and now the exam is 3 weeks away. I still haven't finished half of my content review, haven't done practice tests, and am in the middle of midterms doing poorly in Biochemistry. I don't get out of school until June 8th. Currently I have a 3.80 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA (may drop after this quarter) at a top 15 undergrad, but with kind of mediocre cookie cutter ec's (hospital volunteering, 1 club exec board, some research, tutoring, shadowing, part-time job).

I'm deciding between pushing my MCAT back to June 18 or July 9. I haven't started my personal statement or the rest of my application.

Option 1: June 18 MCAT
10 full days to study. I probably will not be able to write my personal statement until after the test is done and will give myself roughly 1 week after June 18 to submit my primary.

Option 2: July 9 MCAT
3 extra weeks, but will also be doing research during this time. I can probably start writing my personal statement now and submit my primary by June 15-20th. But the scores won't come out until August 9th.

Which would you all advise? When I spoke with representatives at various med schools when they came to our school, almost all of them emphasized the importance of early applications, but with a July MCAT, the earliest I will be complete will mid-August, possibly early September.

Can someone please help me out? Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I'm a junior and originally signed up for the June 2nd MCAT, thinking that I would have enough time to study while in school. I was wrong, and now the exam is 3 weeks away. I still haven't finished half of my content review, haven't done practice tests, and am in the middle of midterms doing poorly in Biochemistry. I don't get out of school until June 8th. Currently I have a 3.80 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA (may drop after this quarter) at a top 15 undergrad, but with kind of mediocre cookie cutter ec's (hospital volunteering, 1 club exec board, some research, tutoring, shadowing, part-time job).

I'm deciding between pushing my MCAT back to June 18 or July 9. I haven't started my personal statement or the rest of my application.

Option 1: June 18 MCAT
10 full days to study. I probably will not be able to write my personal statement until after the test is done and will give myself roughly 1 week after June 18 to submit my primary.

Option 2: July 9 MCAT
3 extra weeks, but will also be doing research during this time. I can probably start writing my personal statement now and submit my primary by June 15-20th. But the scores won't come out until August 9th.

Which would you all advise? When I spoke with representatives at various med schools when they came to our school, almost all of them emphasized the importance of early applications, but with a July MCAT, the earliest I will be complete will mid-August, possibly early September.

Can someone please help me out? Thank you in advance!
What are your practice scores looking like?

@walloobi Thank you for replying! I haven't gotten around to doing any practice tests yet because I'm still doing Kaplan book review -- I've finished reading through physics and psych/soc, and am currently working on gen chem. I still have to read the biology book and the biochemistry book. Probably won't review orgo. I've taken like 4 of the EK 101 Verbal Passages practice tests, and I score between 9-11.

@walloobi Thank you for replying! I haven't gotten around to doing any practice tests yet because I'm still doing Kaplan book review -- I've finished reading through physics and psych/soc, and am currently working on gen chem. I still have to read the biology book and the biochemistry book. Probably won't review orgo. I've taken like 4 of the EK 101 Verbal Passages practice tests, and I score between 9-11.
You need to start taking practice tests now! That's the only way to really judge which test date is most appropriate for you.

You need to start taking practice tests now! That's the only way to really judge which test date is most appropriate for you.
I haven't had the time to take the tests. Somehow this quarter has been one of the busiest quarters yet. I think I'm going to just go for July and get an extra 4 weeks of solid practice instead of trying to rush everything June 18th. Thank you for the help though!