Junoir in highschool

dubose87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to become a pulmonologist and I'm having a hard time finding where to start. I was wondering what majors i should be looking into when I'm going off to college and what colleges would be best. I live in the state of GA, so i was also wondering should I go in-state and then out of state for med school. Also, my GPA is low because i messed up freshman and sophomore year. But now I'm making all B's and trying to make A's, but I know I could do better. My GPA is a 2.4 or 2.5. So if you had any suggestions on what to do again that would help so much! Please and Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Go to the college that fits you, will let you thrive, and hopefully allow you to keep your GPA up. Worry about in/out of state med school when you apply.

Reactions: 1 user
Your high school grades will not hold you back; medical schools don't look at your high school performance. But once you start college, you want to shoot for a GPA around 3.7. Performing well in high school will help you get off to a good start in college.

Something you want to do very early is meet with a pre-med adviser at the college you're thinking of going to. I was able to meet with my pre-med adviser several months before I started attending college; it was very helpful.

Med schools generally don't prefer one major over the other. Choose a major that will enable you to get a good GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, meet with the pre-med adviser but realize it is rare to find one that actually knows what they're talking about. Spend time searching med schools' websites to see what they look for in applicants (and get a feel for which ones you might want to attend). HS gpa doesn't matter, but hit the ground running once you're in college. The classes don't get any easier after freshman and sophomore years.

I want to become a pulmonologist and I'm having a hard time finding where to start. I was wondering what majors i should be looking into when I'm going off to college and what colleges would be best. I live in the state of GA, so i was also wondering should I go in-state and then out of state for med school. Also, my GPA is low because i messed up freshman and sophomore year. But now I'm making all B's and trying to make A's, but I know I could do better. My GPA is a 2.4 or 2.5. So if you had any suggestions on what to do again that would help so much! Please and Thanks!

Just my bias talking here so feel free to throw it all away...

If you have a 2.5 GPA, it does not seem likely that you will gain acceptance at the top tier undergrad places...so I would consider an in-state place like university of Georgia. You will pay less in tuition and it will be readily conceivable that you went there because of location rather than grades.

Bust your butt there and major in whatever you find exciting regardless of applicability to medical school. However, make sure you take your premed requirements and knock them out of the park. Then you'll be a well rounded med school applicant.

It's very possible I'm wrong, but at face value a 2.5 GPA suggests that you need help learning how to be an effective student. Really work on learning how you learn best (not what feels the best, but what produces the best outcome). Also it suggests there may be many holes in your foundational knowledge that colleges will build off of...work to fix gaps in your math, science, and English knowledge. These things, in my opinion, will give you the best chance for success.

Good luck,
venk