Just bought a new laptop with early sign-on bonus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nnguyenc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
a present to myself for christmas...what you guys think?

xps_1330%5B1%5D.jpg

System: Dell XPS M1330 - 13.3" @ 3.9 lbs
Processor: Intel® Core 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1
LCD and Camera: Slim and Light LED Display with VGA Webcam
Memory: 8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM @ 800MHz (2 Dimms)
Hard Drives: Speed: 320GB SATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) with Free Fall Sensor
Combo or DVD+/-RW Drive: CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW Drive)
Video Card: 128MB NVIDIA® GeForce 8400M GS
Wireless Networking: Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-card
Mobile Broadband: AT&T built-in cellular mobile broadband (HSDPA 3.6)
Bluetooth and Wireless USB: Built-in Bluetooth capability (2.0 EDR)
Primary Battery: 85Whr Lithium Ion Battery (9 cell)
Sound Options: Integrated Sound Blaster Audigy HD Software Edition
Fingerprint Reader: Biometric Fingerprint Reader
Network Card and Modem: Integrated 10/100 Network Card
Labels: Windows Vista Premium
Adobe Software: Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0
Processor Branding: Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed): McAfee Security Center with anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall, 36-months
Top Selling Software: Lo-Jack Standard Edition
Media Center Enhancements: AVerTV Hybrid NanoExpress ATSC TV Tuner w/ Media Center Remote Control

Members don't see this ad.

From a computer tech...VISTA is the devil LOL :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Aside from the fact it's a Dell, it's great enjoy.....

Adobe Software:[/B] Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 9.0

Oooh, Adobe Reader 9.0, for free... how generous of them to include that. Why would they list with the rest of the specs? Is that supposed to dazzle consumers?

Not a big fan of the Dell laptops...I would have opted for Lenovo or heck those new macbooks that are out for sheer sexy factor.

Nice, but hope you won't have overheating issues with that XPS and nvidia chip.

It got many negative feedbacks when I was searching for a new laptop myself. :)

It's a nice little laptop.

But, if I were to spend that kind of cash I'd just buy a netbook for ~$300 and then build an incredible desktop to game with.

Re: Vista
It really isn't that bad. It's a bit resource intensive so slow computers hate it (not as much of a hog as OS X), but once you get a reasonably fast computer its okay IMHO. It's stable, looks nice, and feels nice. What more is there to ask for / need for everyday use? Plus, DirectX 10 is awesome and you need vista for that :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like many of the retailers I know...you will prob regret buying that this time next year when you are considering quitting

The only people that have trouble with Vista are ******s that don't know how to use a damned computer.

I'm far from dumb but I wasn't referring to using Vista, I was referring to Vista's functionality. Microsoft has not worked out all of the bugs, so certain programs cannot run in Vista. Thank you very much!

I have a last-generation macbook. I'm visiting family in rural middle of nowhere MD and just discovered that it lacks a dialup modem. Ughm thank dog I got this snazzy new blackberry a couple weeks ago!

I have a last-generation macbook. I'm visiting family in rural middle of nowhere MD and just discovered that it lacks a dialup modem. Ughm thank dog I got this snazzy new blackberry a couple weeks ago!

You do know blackberry works as a modem right? Setting it up is little tricky but once it's set up, it's almost as fast as so called "broad band" cards.

You caught the disease, "Apple Coolness". The desire to pay more money for an inferior product because it looks so cool. Apple is the most evil companies on the planet. They seduce you with coolness and under sell what you really need. The only thing they having g.going for them is their products are made well. But it is clear that when the design team has to decide between cool and functionality, cool wins and you loose.

First generation I-Pod. User cannot change battery
First generation I-phone. User cannot change battery.
Mac Book air no wifi........

You caught the disease, "Apple Coolness". The desire to pay more money for an inferior product because it looks so cool. Apple is the most evil companies on the planet. They seduce you with coolness and under sell what you really need. The only thing they having g.going for them is their products are made well. But it is clear that when the design team has to decide between cool and functionality, cool wins and you loose.

Old man aint suppose to know this kinda stuff..heck, I didn't know...

My last laptop was a powerbook and had a dialup modem. I don't even have a landline at home so this usually is not an issue.

I should look into the blackberry thing. It wasn't worth the $$ to me to buy the laptop card thing

Oh, and I'm in northeastern MD just minutes from PA

My last laptop was a powerbook and had a dialup modem. I don't even have a landline at home so this usually is not an issue.

I should look into the blackberry thing. It wasn't worth the $$ to me to buy the laptop card thing

Call BB tech support...it takes about 10 minutes. It's a thing of beauty to just plug your BB into your laptop and get internet....

It's called 'rush to the market'.
Car companies do that garbage too.

Who wants a Crackberry anyway? Plain ol' crack is so much better... :rolleyes:

Every time I have tried to set up my BB as the modem I get the blue screen of death. I dunno whats up with that.

Though we have DSL, we occasionally use our dial-up modem for faxes.
I want to buy a new computer, but I don't know if I should buy now or wait a year for the new Windows OS.

Haven't used traditional dial-up in about a decade. I did use bluetooth to pair my cell phone and laptop while riding on a train once, my university provided backup dial-up at the time. I called the modem pool via cell and tethered that to my laptop...unreliable/slow as hell but I was able to download e-mail and send off messages.

I'd recommend looking into that as a tech exercise if you don't have mobile internet or are in rural areas that lack coverage, it might come in handy.

I hope your copy of Vista is 64-bit. Otherwise, you won't be able to use more than 4 GB of that RAM. Nice laptop anyhow. It would be perfect for my choice of OS, Fedora Linux :).

wow .. 2.6 ghz on a 3.5lb laptop is pretty damn sweet. but whats up with the video card, 128mb? you cannot play games with that thing. =/

Nice, but hope you won't have overheating issues with that XPS and nvidia chip.

It got many negative feedbacks when I was searching for a new laptop myself. :)

i agree. there are 2 students in my pharmacy class, in the same row, that uses dell XPS. the girl who uses it has an older version and the guy sitting right to her keeps have issues problems here and there. he sits right next to me during lecture; he goes crazy sometimes when he paid so much for it. i'm not for it or against it but, i wouldn't get one myself seeing what i know now.

Brother sent this to me...thought it was pretty funny and I thought of you OldTimer!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA[/youtube]