Just curious... how is podiatry school different from medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

license43

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey all. Just wondering, how is podiatry school and podiatry for that matter different from medical school and medicine respectively?
I figured they take similar classes in the preclinical years, but in the 3rd and 4th years, there are slight differences..? As in more podiatric related rotations...?

Any difference in clinical practice?

Attachments

• 6B5496E1-37EF-4512-A41B-5514327B3940.jpeg
    6B5496E1-37EF-4512-A41B-5514327B3940.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 1 users
Hey all. Just wondering, how is podiatry school and podiatry for that matter different from medical school and medicine respectively?
I figured they take similar classes in the preclinical years, but in the 3rd and 4th years, there are slight differences..? As in more podiatric related rotations...?

Go to MD school websites and check their curriculum then go to Pod school websites and compare their curriculum.

I have done that and seen the difference myself and for the last 2 years as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
We don't have the ob/gyn, psych, or behavioral science courses you do.
We have an entirely separate lower extremity anatomy on top of regular anatomy. Podiatric Med/Podiatric Surg as well in place of whatever you guys take.

Everything else is on par pending institution/professors. Look at the Surgeon and Physician Taskforce in California and their findings.
Also compare required courses for APME boards versus USMLE/NBME.

Anecdotally-- have a sibling in a USMD program. Everything he talks about I understand because we had to learn the same thing. Material and content is the same (pending the embryo/obgyn/psych courses we don't have, the lower extremity anatomy his program doesn't have).
How we learn it is different. They go systems based/block whichever it was, we don't.

Some pod schools are fully integrated with DO curriculum so they sit and take everything the DO students do. Same professors same grading scale same lab and cadavers.

Not sure about rotations.

One big difference is the boards. Pod boards are 4 hour tests with 1 hour break, USMLE for Md school (don’t know if DOs will have to take) is I think an 8 hour test with an hour break.

Pass fail Pod boards, but USMLE is too from a certain perspective just to match anywhere primary care related. Looking at Pod boards vs USMLE, the latter is much longer and tougher.

Other than that, what everyone else said. First two years are the same as MD/DO, 3 schools take classes and are held to the same standards as their DO counterparts.

Reactions: 1 user

One-Stop Shop for Podiatry Information

Seriously is it too much of a pain to post something decent? See Weirdy, GypsyHummus, musclesmiyagi All posted good answers. Your answer is horrible. Don't ever post in another forum again.
You forgot to mention poditrained post you received.

Should have used the coupon.

If you want specific info about your question, you should research yourself.
You will see a better picture of what specifically is different and how different it is.

Seriously is it too much of a pain to post something decent? See Weirdy, GypsyHummus, musclesmiyagi All posted good answers. Your answer is horrible. Don't ever post in another forum again.
Who died and made you king of this forum?

Reactions: 7 users
Eh, Idk. If you look through some of the salary threads, you see a lot of newly minted pods who are working in a hospital setting making 200-250K/year. Pods getting the short end of the stick are usually in private practice working as an associate, which admittedly right now are 80% of the jobs.

You go through the same hell for a lower salary.

Eh, Idk. If you look through some of the salary threads, you see a lot of newly minted pods who are working in a hospital setting making 200-250K/year. Pods getting the short end of the stick are usually in private practice working as an associate, which admittedly right now are 80% of the jobs.

Employment with the figures you have listed are very few. Even most hospital positions don't break the 200k mark despite taking call. Most newly graduated residents will be taking figures in the 120k range (depending on location). While trying to dodge lowball offers from older pods for less than 6-figures. Often times the podiatrists will use you as an associate for 2 years and replace you with the next new batch of graduating residents.

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think this is the case unless you as a DPM are vastly underperforming as an associate, how likely is this to happen? By the two year mark, you have built up a patient base, why would the leader pod save a quick buck to make said patient base mad/retrain a new associate? Realistically as a DPM associate, starting off at 120 and topping off at 150-170K is likely, so the 30K difference to hire a new associate and drop the current seems like a bad move on the part of the leading DPM. If you are a partner in the practice, its even more unlikely to happen, though I've heard that Private Practice Podiatry buy ins are kind of expensive.

Ive see this case more with Hospital Positions, even with MD/DOs. I personally know of a MD who was let go after his contract was up. He ended up getting a position at another place pretty easily, but this "letting go" is not unique to DPMs.

Often times the podiatrists will use you as an associate for 2 years and replace you with the next new batch of graduating residents.

I see this subject come up over and over again and I can't say I have any greater insight to offer but I can share my experience. When I decided to apply, I just asked pretty honest questions of the DPMs that I shadowed (and currently work with) and of the hospital I am hoping to return to for work after residency. This was in regards to work expectations and salary. I am comfortable with the responses I was given so I try not to let the gloom and doom here get to me. I was told salary ranges, expectations with declining reimbursement, what it was like for the current practicing DPMs looking for work after graduation (new grads) and spoke with local orthopaedic groups about possibilities of practicing with them in the future. If you know of the area you want to work in, just network and ask questions. They might tell you to kick rocks or you might find some answers. You might need to get to know them or if talking to a hospital, you might need to have some sort of relationship but it never hurts to try. I'm an older, non-traditional student working in a rural healthcare setting so it was easy enough for me make appointments and speak with people that I thought could help answer my questions before beginning school this summer. They were understanding that I wanted to gain some insight about future practice and figuring out whether I was wasting time/money. I learned more by asking people in the field/new grads/ hospital/ ortho groups than what I've learned here in terms of future practice or salary expectations. I also won't say it was all sugar coated, puppies and kittens info but painted a realistic picture.

Reactions: 1 users

250 is a nice number for top notch/lucky pods.
That would be somewhere like Kaiser Santa Clara (top notch podiatry program)

As someone below mentioned as an average guy you will probably get 130-180k. In private practice the sky is the limit but dont forget that's the upper limit and the floor is 0.