Just curious. Is going into medicine for the money and status a really bad idea...? Just wondering.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobdole112

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering, I know a lot of people wanting to go into medicine to make money and to have the respect of a medical doctor. Those are certainly reasons people may want to go in.

Just wondering, for any current medical school students, physicians, or anyone with knowledge about this, why is it a bad idea to go into medicine for the money?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a medical student here or a physician, but my mentor is an ortho surgeon, and I asked him this specific question. He said for the amount of hours and mental exhaustion that physicians face, there are other options that make smiliar figures but give less effort. Also, in general doctors do not start making good money until they're like 7-10 years out of med school, but take that with a grain of salt, depending on specialty and location.

Just wondering, I know a lot of people wanting to go into medicine to make money and to have the respect of a medical doctor. Those are certainly reasons people may want to go in.

Just wondering, for any current medical school students, physicians, or anyone with knowledge about this, why is it a bad idea to go into medicine for the money?
They are very likely going to be extremely unhappy sometime down the road.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Someone once told me, "Be passionate about your career, and you will never have to work a day in your life."

Reactions: 4 users
Dermvisor and Mimelim have written eloquently about this...do a search.

Reactions: 1 user
the money isn't worth the time put in... literally if you put the same amount of work into many other careers you'll make more money (especially primary care). Most of these jobs require a lot less education.

Reactions: 1 users
Medicine is an awful experience if you don't like it. It's so much time and stress.

Because medicine-- both practicing it, and learning to practice it-- is really hard. And you should have some sort of internal motivation to do any difficult endeavor outside of the money.

Very few people will admit this, but if on average physician makes 60-70k, average entrance mcat will be 25 on current and gpa will be low 3 level. And silicon valley will be twice of the current size.

There is nothing wrong with making lots of money in as long as it's in an ethical way and you do no harm. Many people equate money to evil, and success to evil. Nope.

If you wanna get rich, go work in a bank or something.

the money isn't worth the time put in... literally if you put the same amount of work into many other careers you'll make more money (especially primary care). Most of these jobs require a lot less education.
for an average college student, what other options besides DO school will offer as strong of a chance at 250k+ income?

Reactions: 2 users