Just failed my first ever medical school exam. Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lostbutneverfound16

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

As title says, I failed my very first med school exam and obviously, I'm feeling pretty downtrodden because well, that's not how anyone else to start med school. I got a 64% and passing is 70%. Not super stoked about it and I have more two more exams in this block.

I feel like I studied decently well, but if I'm honest I don't know if my time management was the absolute best that it could have been and I definitely could have been more productive without distractions when i was studying. I think a lot of it was just overwhelming how much info it was and from there, I just don't know if I kept up as well as I could.

Any and all similar stories and your bounce back story would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

you got this.

Attachments

• services-mcat-validity-data-report-11102020.pdf
    3.4 MB · Views: 532
Reactions: 2 users
Join the club dude. It's wayyyyyyyyyyyy more common than you think.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I went from being a 4.0 student to being extremely happy with a 70. Don't beat yourself up - just modify your expectations. Things are much more difficult now, but you will make it through! Spend some time this weekend reflecting how you can do better. Also talk to classmates who did well and learn from them.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey guys.

As title says, I failed my very first med school exam and obviously, I'm feeling pretty downtrodden because well, that's not how anyone else to start med school. I got a 64% and passing is 70%. Not super stoked about it and I have more two more exams in this block.

I feel like I studied decently well, but if I'm honest I don't know if my time management was the absolute best that it could have been and I definitely could have been more productive without distractions when i was studying. I think a lot of it was just overwhelming how much info it was and from there, I just don't know if I kept up as well as I could.

This is a rite of passage.

Check in with your faculty and school's learning or education center to improve your learning skills.

Check out my post on success in medical school too

Reactions: 5 users
Hey guys.

I literally got the same score on my first exam and only passed the class because of the curve. That was 2 years ago, after that I started doing anki and ended up getting mostly B+ and A’s, I also just took boards and did really well. Don’t worry about this. Keep working hard and you’ll make it. You got this!

Reactions: 3 users
A big chunk of my class failed the first exam. It sucks but they got through it.

Best resource is the class ahead of you. What works in undergrad just won't work for med school. Do you do in-house exams, or do you know how close they are to step material? Premade anki decks used to be a pretty good way to start and keep up, but if they are doing their own thing maybe not.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
youll be fine just dont make a habit of it ya know

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, this is normal and part of the experience. As mentioned, don't make it a habit. Anything below passing means whatever you did to study for it was insufficient or was not the best way to learn.

My three worst classes/blocks were histology and renal and micro. Histology I passed because of the curve. Renal there was a midterm and final, I got exactly passing on both and passed the block. I failed my Micro block and passed the remediation test exactly at the passing mark, otherwise I would've had to pay another 70k in tuition and living costs to repeat the year. There are some classes that are passable with adequate effort, there are some where you have to study until you are delirious and hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, this is normal and part of the experience. As mentioned, don't make it a habit. Anything below passing means whatever you did to study for it was insufficient or was not the best way to learn.

My three worst classes/blocks were histology and renal and micro. Histology I passed because of the curve. Renal there was a midterm and final, I got exactly passing on both and passed the block. I failed my Micro block and passed the remediation test exactly at the passing mark, otherwise I would've had to pay another 70k in tuition and living costs to repeat the year. There are some classes that are passable with adequate effort, there are some where you have to study until you are delirious and hope for the best.
I see a therapist because of my experience in histology.

Hey guys.

You are fine. You will live.

This type of thing is why Med students often say they had to re-learn how to learn or flat out change their study habits. My study habits are WAY different now than they were in undergrad. I have no idea how many tests I failed in the first year of Med school… maybe 4? Luckily none of our tests count. We only count the final which means we better know it ALL by the final or we’re screwed but we are given a chance to adapt our habits before the big day. Don’t take it personally. Make adjustments. Find out what works and what is a waste of time. Practice questions help a TON!!! Good luck. Onward and upward.

Literally will have zero impact on your future. Focus on the big picture, concepts, and you'll be better off on the other end.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys.

I failed my first exam in dental school, I thought I was doomed. It was more of a wakeup call to just buckle down and study hard! I just graduated this year and I am now practicing. Hang in there, you got this!

Hey guys.

I’m a second year and the same thing happened to me. First few quizzes I aced and thought everything was fine - first test I scored a 64. One common problem with many medical students who struggle is an inability to change. What worked in undergrad doesn’t always work in medical school - in fact I would guess all medical students adapt some aspects of approach to learning material. I sought help through the student academic success center on how to approach the curriculum specific to my school as well as some key time management techniques. It took some time, trial and error, and results weren’t immediate, but I was never in danger of failing any aspect of first year and consistently got better every step of the way. By second semester I was scoring 80’s and 90’s consistently and my boards practice question banks have been good as well. I’ve also become become much less stressed in general. Don’t be afraid to reach out to your school and tutors and adjust some things and you should be fine!!!

Totally normal. You just jumped into a new weight class. It’s normal to struggle.

Seek help from your peers! That's how I ended up with a near 4.0 in my master after a ****ty undergrad. Since then, I also form a group.

Do maybe 80% of your studying by yourself but keep in touch with your classmates in case some new comes up that you missed like some items tat wont be on the exam, or emphasis on certain sections. Then do a big review the day before to cover any loose ends. Groups that share study guides are also big time savers.