Just got a job at the pharmacy..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dchyno

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
just got a job at the pharmacy and i'm getting too anxious. i have never worked in a pharmacy, i want to be a pharmacist, and i have no experience in anything pharmacy related and tomorrow is my first day. i'm very very nervous and i dont wanna mess this up. i know i can just work anywhere else, but i want hands on experience so that when i take my pharm tech exam it will be easier. anyway, if you have any pointers or tips for me i would appreciate them very much. also, i almost forgot to say, the pharmacist who hired me said that it will be very difficult being a pharmacy clerk there and if i'm up to the challenge then so be it. not much help for someone who's a newb just trying to fit in. man...im so nervous. just dont wanna mess up...i can't mess up...ok ill shut up now. anyway, thanks for your time and if you have any feedback i'd really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

i just got hired at a pharmacy as well (CVS). i have to go for some training before i work at the actual pharmacy.

congradulations and good luck with it! you aren't the only one that has been hired at a pharmacy w/o prior training so don't feel isolated...you'll do fine :). just pay attention :thumbup:

The first time I walked into the pharmacy I was feeling the same way. First of all, as the previous poster just said, pay attension and stay calm. I made a couple of mistakes on the first day but try to be a quick learner and everything will be fine. Just make sure you pull up the right medicine and enter the correct information. Good Luck! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah the first time I felt weird and nervous when I walked behind that counter. It seemed so intimidating, but now it's cake. Just give it time. Stay focused and actually it's pretty hard to mess up, just double-triple check everything.

im a pharm tech certified but havent worked yet(no pharm experience). Im curious about the dress code. Does anyone know if you have to buy your own white coat? What is the measurement procedure? Does it have to go all the way down to your knees?

im a pharm tech certified but havent worked yet(no pharm experience). Im curious about the dress code. Does anyone know if you have to buy your own white coat? What is the measurement procedure? Does it have to go all the way down to your knees?

A pharmacy tech doesn't wear a white coat. It's actually against the law in california (and probably other states too) to wear a white coat unless you are a doctor of some sort. White coats are different from lab coats, but in general they supply those for you if you need to wear one as a tech.

And dress code of course is what you would expect in any professional atmosphere. How would you prefer to see your pharmacy? jeans and tshirt? or shirt and tie?

Don't be too nervous. Just don't be afraid to ask lots of questions. Most people would rather take a few seconds to explain something than spend even more time fixing a mistake.

i just got hired at a pharmacy as well (CVS). i have to go for some training before i work at the actual pharmacy.

congradulations and good luck with it! you aren't the only one that has been hired at a pharmacy w/o prior training so don't feel isolated...you'll do fine :). just pay attention :thumbup:

gratz:thumbup:, do you know how old do you have to be, to work at a pharmacy? What's the probability of a freshman entering the pre-pharmacy phase to get a job at a pharmacy? Thanks in advance.

In terms of appropriate attire for the pharmacy, a shirt and tie is appropriate for guys and nice slacks and top for the ladies. I know for Walgreens interns and pharmacists are the only ones allowed to wear "white coats" whereas the techs wear a white vest. I'm sure that if you need a coat or vest the company you work for will provide it for you or let you know where you can get one.

Best of success!

i worked at albertson's pharmacy for over 2 years as a pharmacy technician though i was not nationally certified. i took a qualification test given by the albertsons company where i had to learn the short hand stuff and interpreting it, dealing with customers and insurance companies, hippa (hipaa? meh, i forgot), etc... but anywho, yeah, i had to wear a white button down shirt and black pants, and i got 2 white coats with the store logo on it, just as the pharmacist did. there was no difference. it makes you look professional. and it felt great too. :D i loved working there because i was the only one out of my friends that i knew who had a job with REAL responsibility... it was a thrill. you will love it, its great :).

oh, and BIG kudos to you for getting experience... sometimes it perplexes me as to why people apply to pharmacy college with no experience whatsoever...

I was scared out of my mind on my first day on the job as a tech. I was a newb with no experience whatsoever. Luckily I had some co-workers around to comfort me when I made mistakes.

The first time you do something you are always anxious!!But you must say to yourself that you can do it!!!:thumbup:Good Luck!!!

If you're starting in retail, just be glad you're not starting at a busy pharmacy during flu season! It's not the best experience. I cried sometimes at night after work. I felt like such a *****. But you learn. In fact, I think it's because of that experience that I can deal quite well when it gets hectic and/or we're short on help. Just stick with it. It'll be difficult for the first few months, but trust me, it will get better. If you have to deal with insurances, it may seem like you will never remember the trillions of little different details you have to know, but you will. I remember getting my first insurance card to go through on my own. I was so thrilled! I jumped up and down, and the patient thought I was crazy.

So, by the way, how was your first day?? I'm anxious to find out how you like it so far! Let us know!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I just passed my PTCE and havent gotten my score in the mail yet, do you really need it? Also, I saw on the PTCB.org website a number that businesses can use to track your scores and tests. Will that be included with the score also?

gratz:thumbup:, do you know how old do you have to be, to work at a pharmacy? What's the probability of a freshman entering the pre-pharmacy phase to get a job at a pharmacy? Thanks in advance.

definitely over 18...but even then they might be a little skeptical. i'm 21 so i think i was hired w/o any 2nd thoughts of age.

i think if you talk to them the right way and show them taht you're persuing pharmacy and want the experience rather than the money you could definitely get the job.
also...if you know a pharmacist or someone that knows a pharmacist...try and get a hook up it definitely helps

I had a coworker who was still in high school (and still is) when she first started working at Walgreens. She's been there a year already and shes only 17. She turns 18 in the fall. Granted, Walgreens will probably hire anyone they can get;)

I started working as a clerk about 4 months ago but since I worked only weekends , it was so hard to be friends with anyone because I was working with different pple every week.It still is, it takes time to get comfortable and confident with what you are doing.Make sure you familiarize with HIPPA laws and ask questions if you are not sure.You ll make mistakes but sometimes thats how you learn.

How much math do RETAIL CPhT use?
How often do they count pills, mix medications?
Who do you conversate more? Insurance companies or Customers?
Who's more annoying? Customers or Insurance?

not too much...mainly calculating qs or quantity sufficient that dr's don't calculate or days supply etc

counting pills every day, all the time. mixing medications depends on the pharmacy policy/pharmacist working with.... if you work at a retail COMPOUNDING pharmacy you will be mixing alot more than say working at CVS

customers if you are a clerk or working drop-off, insurance companies to trouble shoot problems. the goal is to learn how to work thru a problem WITHOUT calling ins....

depends on your personailty. the only time i really get annoyed by customers is when they come in on their cell phone and demand it be ready in 5 mins or argue with me about why IIIIII am charging such a high copay....insurance co's aren't annoying usually bc they are often record to "assure quality assistance" plus you love them when they get your claim to go thru!

ps.... CVS doesn't look at your GPA. 18 is okay and you have to fill out a loooong questionnaire to see how you match up with the personality type they are looking for.

some simple algebra every day. better not f*** it up though. dont want to give mr jones there an overdose on his insulin

mixing, never. count pills... well, theres a machine for that

both, but customers more. and when you have the grand opportunity of conversing with insurance companies... well, the quality of time you spend with them seems to outweigh that of customers.

for me, customers, hands down. the insurance is frustrating, but the people, esp the old ones, are annoying as hell

pcproduct, do you know if i'll be able to apply?...17 will graduate from high school in like a week :D thanks

Basic math, all the time when processing prescriptions.

At the pharmacy I work at, (and I would think most pharmacies are similar in set up) there are 3 stations, and I spend about 1/3 of the time at the filling station. There is no strick adherence to where you have to be at any given time; you just go where you're needed. I don't do any compounding. If as in mixing, you mean reconstituting, then I'd say I come across oh, maybe an average of one out of 20 or so prescriptions that need to be reconstituted; there's not too much of that at our pharmacy.

Customers about 200 times more. The only time I ever talk with insurance companies is when there's a problem getting them to accept a claim. I maybe call them once perhaps twice daily. Some days I don't call them at all.

Customers, customers, customers thrice over. In fact, I don't find insurance companies annoying at all. I come across an insurance card that's a little annoying to enter sometimes because it's so obscure; but that doesn't happen too much anymore because I've seen so many of them. What's really annoying is the customers who don't understand their insurance plans. Or the ones that really get me is the ones that don't understand that the pharmacy and their insurance company are two separate entities. I don't know why that's such a difficult concept to get through their thick skulls. Since we're on the topic of annoying customers, the ones that top it all for me are the ones who think its "my" fault because the doctor did not respond to our refill authorization request. For some reason, they think it's the pharmacy's job to get their refills authorized for them. I even had one give it to me in that exact terminology--"Well, isn't that your job?" "No, its actually not" was my response. She wasn't too happy about that.

How does the conversation go with the insurance company? Is it like "Yes" & "No" conversation. Im a young guy, certified tech, but no experience. I kinda feel intimidated to talk with the insurance people since I really don't know much about the insurance process. When you first got the job, did you feel nervous answering the phone? Id rather speak to the customers in person.

Did anyone ever apply online and got the job? I applied today :)

the convo with the ins co goes like this

INS: What is your name? Are you the tech or the pharmacist? What is your NABP or NCPDP #? What rx # are you trying to process? What's the patients name & DOB? Do you need prior auth or vacation override?

That's about it. Simple, they usually fix it or if it is prior auth you have the dr's office call for it.

Also, not all retail pharmacies have a machine to count pills. Usually that is only in high volume stores. But counting on a try with a spatula is easy peasy...

I started when I was 16 but now you have to be 18 for most places (I am 24 now) I taught techs for a year and have worked in retail, home health, hospital/IV's & call center so feel free to ask ?'s =)

Hey I too took the CphT test only less than 1 mo after being hired @ CVS well then it was Savon. The main thing is that you are good at the math quetions. The drug names and so forth are not v. impt. I passed with a high score

definitely over 18...but even then they might be a little skeptical. i'm 21 so i think i was hired w/o any 2nd thoughts of age.

i think if you talk to them the right way and show them taht you're persuing pharmacy and want the experience rather than the money you could definitely get the job.
also...if you know a pharmacist or someone that knows a pharmacist...try and get a hook up it definitely helps

I had a coworker who was still in high school (and still is) when she first started working at Walgreens. She's been there a year already and shes only 17. She turns 18 in the fall. Granted, Walgreens will probably hire anyone they can get;)

thanks 4 the info:thumbup:

i just called my local walgreens and they said that they don't do any interns or shadowing because it's too small so now i have to call the director