JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO JAMP (Joint Admission Medical Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UTAPlaya10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've just been accepted into the JAMP program but I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have any experiences they could share with me?

I'm really grateful for getting into the program but I still have an urge to go to an ivy league medical school. Unfortunately, if I go out of state (Texas) after accepting the scholarship money and stipends towards the internships during the summer, I may have to pay it all back out of pocket... Any advice at all?

Oh for those that are not informed, JAMP is a Texas pre-medical program that awards certain college sophomores guaranteed acceptance into a Texas medical school as long as they keep a 3.2 GPA and a 23 MCAT. In order to qualify for the program you must show financial need with proof of recieving the Pell Grant. More information can be found here. http://www.utsystem.edu/jamp

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Ohh man thats so cool. I just found out that I was accepted into JAMP also. I'm really excited to be in such a great program. Come on, guaranteed acceptance is like winning the lottery for a sophmore pre-med.

As for your ivy league aspirations, I am not sure if you have to pay the scholarship money back. You should probably ask the Jamp Faculty Director at your school.

Have they informed you of where you will be doing your summer internship?

Congrats. Having a guaranteed spot in sophomore year is a blessing. Go with it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't discount the Texas medical schools. Baylor and UT Southwestern are highly regarded and you'll have much less debt than if you were to go Ivy.

Just something to think about.

I wouldn't discount the Texas medical schools. Baylor and UT Southwestern are highly regarded and you'll have much less debt than if you were to go Ivy.

Just something to think about.

I'm gonna have to second this. JAMP gives $1000/semester scholarship for you as an undergraduate, $2000 stipend for summer internships, AND a scholarship to attend medical school. I don't know the specifics for the medical school scholarship, but considering the low cost of TX medical schools on top of the scholarship, you would graduate with a lot less debt than many can ask for.

I'm gonna have to second this. JAMP gives $1000/semester scholarship for you as an undergraduate, $2000 stipend for summer internships, AND a scholarship to attend medical school. I don't know the specifics for the medical school scholarship, but considering the low cost of TX medical schools on top of the scholarship, you would graduate with a lot less debt than many can ask for.

Yep, and there's no guarantee that the OP will get into an Ivy. You're in a pretty good place right now.

seriously, Texas has good enough medical schools. you shouldn't consider Baylor or UTSW in any way inferior to an Ivy.

seriously, Texas has good enough medical schools. you shouldn't consider Baylor or UTSW in any way inferior to an Ivy.

Don't put much stock in arbitrary rankings from random sources like US News. Baylor, as far as quality of education and clinical environment are concerned, is by far one of the best schools in the country. UTSW is the in the same elite class - though I would say it is just a shade below Baylor.

And overall, Texas has a strong crop of schools. Probably stronger than anywhere else in the country outside of California.

I just got accepted also. :D

Take the acceptance and the money and run. If you are fixated on the Ivy League, then do well at your Texas med school and apply to Ivy League residency programs.

Congrats, that very awesome, and there's nothing wrong with the texas schools so just go for it :)

I am kind of curious about the jamp programs. I hadn't heard that much, but was wondering why standards are so relaxed. If virtually anyone else coming out of undergrad had a 3.2 and 23 they would have to be dreaming to get an acceptance into an allopathic med school, and it seems weird these are their standards.

Congrats, that very awesome, and there's nothing wrong with the texas schools so just go for it :)

I am kind of curious about the jamp programs. I hadn't heard that much, but was wondering why standards are so relaxed. If virtually anyone else coming out of undergrad had a 3.2 and 23 they would have to be dreaming to get an acceptance into an allopathic med school, and it seems weird these are their standards.

The 3.2 and 23 are the bare minimum that you will need. Many that are in the program have stats way above that. We had to go through an application and interview process that is similar to medical school application.
The reason the gpa and mcat are that low is becuase its a program for economically disadvantaged students. The reasoning is that doctors from this program will go back to work in their communites.

i really wish i knew about the jamp program or the debakey/baylor program... the numbers required to get accepted to those programs are a complete joke.

someone please inform me of the purpose of those programs.... mainly why the numbers are so ridiculously low.

Members don't see this ad :)
I found out yesterday that I got in also :) My faculty director was telling me that if you do choose to opt out of the program to go to a medical school outside texas then you will have to pay back whatever money the program has given you. A few people have done that. We have some time before we have to sign an agreement so hopefully that will give you time to decide what you want. Good luck with whatever you choose.

A friend of mine was in JAMP and just got accepted to TCOM with 3.3 and 26. Now she doesn't want to be a DO :rolleyes:

A friend of mine was in JAMP and just got accepted to TCOM with 3.3 and 26. Now she doesn't want to be a DO :rolleyes:

That's kind of the problem too. Sophomores still have a good deal of college left, and I don't know how it is at other schools but a number of underclassmen "premeds" at my school begin to change their minds about that time. They're still romanced about the idea of what they think medicine is and haven't really experienced the nitty gritty, so to speak. I mean I'm sure the people who get accepted into the program are qualified, but it seems like their standards are lowered because of monetary constraints, and I'm not sure why you can have a lower standards as a future physician because your family doesn't have very much money. I am in a similar issue, regarding money, and can sympathize whole heartedly with situations where money is lacking and you have to work through college. Only I had to work my rear end off in undergrad just like everyone else.

If you want to practice medicine, once you have an MD, no one cares where it came from. If you want to go into academia, then an ivy will give you an edge, but Texas schools are cheap. You will easily save $150,000 staying in state without the scholarship. I say graduate debt free.

That's kind of the problem too. Sophomores still have a good deal of college left, and I don't know how it is at other schools but a number of underclassmen "premeds" at my school begin to change their minds about that time. They're still romanced about the idea of what they think medicine is and haven't really experienced the nitty gritty, so to speak. I mean I'm sure the people who get accepted into the program are qualified, but it seems like their standards are lowered because of monetary constraints, and I'm not sure why you can have a lower standards as a future physician because your family doesn't have very much money. I am in a similar issue, regarding money, and can sympathize whole heartedly with situations where money is lacking and you have to work through college. Only I had to work my rear end off in undergrad just like everyone else.

I never really understood how having less money works with JAMP. I worked my butt off like you during undergrad to support myself and my husband ( he was in a professional school then), while trying to maintain good grades and keeping up with all the ECs. I had several academic scholarships, but I didn't qualify for any grants. Then I saw kids with no jobs, driving brand new SUVs as a courtesy of their parents, getting accepted in JAMP and ending up in med school with minimal effort. But then I also know some very deserving people in JAMP who ended up with a great MCAT and GPA. I guess they have lower standards assuming JAMP students might be struggling with work and school etc, not knowing some people somehow qualify for grants even with rich parents paying for everything? I don't know...

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate them. As an African American that is against affirmative action I find these requirements to be far too low for future doctors. I assure you all that my grades are far above the requirements and will stay that way until I graduate. I have also start studying for the MCAT, which I will be taking next year, in order to get the highest score possible. (35+ is preferred).

I did find out that I do have to pay the money back if I were to attend but you are all right in saying that UTSW and Baylor and great schools and that I shouldn't pass this opportunity up.

To everyone that has been accepted into JAMP also: Have you all found out what medical school you will be attending this summer? How did you react when you found out? (I freaked out) What universities do you all attend and how many people that you know have been accepted in to the program along with you?

Thanks again for all of the responses.

Thank you all for your responses, I really appreciate them. As an African American that is against affirmative action I find these requirements to be far too low for future doctors. I assure you all that my grades are far above the requirements and will stay that way until I graduate. I have also start studying for the MCAT, which I will be taking next year, in order to get the highest score possible. (35+ is preferred).

I did find out that I do have to pay the money back if I were to attend but you are all right in saying that UTSW and Baylor and great schools and that I shouldn't pass this opportunity up.

To everyone that has been accepted into JAMP also: Have you all found out what medical school you will be attending this summer? How did you react when you found out? (I freaked out) What universities do you all attend and how many people that you know have been accepted in to the program along with you?

How does it work when you finish undergrad? Do they choose the school? Do you interview for a spot like everyone else?

I don't really know much about the program.

Believe it or not but I do know some students that actually applied to this program that really did not deserve it. My mother is a single parent so it was very hard for me during high school to make good grades but I exhibited a HUGE turn around when I started college. HOWEVER, I do know of some students (*******s) that live in REALLY nice houses, don't work, don't do anything that would exhibit any type of hardship, that just so happened found out about this program and applied. I had to compete with these kids and I think the interview process weeded a lot of them out but the fact that they might have gotten an interview over a student that deserved it is EXTREMELY DISGUSTING to me.

Regarding your grades and MCAT score, you will match to one of the medical schools in Texas in December (almost a month before the actual Texas Match Day). If you don't make great grades you may have to go to TCOM but if you do make good or mediocre grades you may be admitted to any of the other 7 MD schools in the state.

I want to go to Baylor so I really need to find out what I need to do to be admitted there. Does anyone have any advice for getting in.

Although I am in JAMP, I don't want it's requirements to affect my work ethic so I want to continue to work hard in school as if I was never accepted to JAMP. These requirements do not affect my motivation at all or cause me to slack off due to how easy it is to maintain a 3.2 GPA and a 23 MCAT score. I still want to make at least a 35 on the MCAT and graduate Magna Cum Laude from my university. Please do not pick me as the type of student that is happy to have a free ride, I am still going to work my *** off.

Believe it or not but I do know some students that actually applied to this program that really did not deserve it. My mother is a single parent so it was very hard for me during high school to make good grades but I exhibited a HUGE turn around when I started college. HOWEVER, I do know of some students (*******s) that live in REALLY nice houses, don't work, don't do anything that would exhibit any type of hardship, that just so happened found out about this program and applied. I had to compete with these kids and I think the interview process weeded a lot of them out but the fact that they might have gotten an interview over a student that deserved it is EXTREMELY DISGUSTING to me.

I know! but then I don't see how these undeserving people, who abused the system, and didn't have to work as hard as the rest of us will survive a medical school. Hopefully they just won't be able to handle it and drop out or something, and not play with human lives as doctors.

I was really nervous when I opened my email this morning and saw an email from JAMP (actually I got 3 copies of the same email for some reason). When I read the word acceptance in the email I was ecstatic. I called my parents right away and they were so happy even though they were a little confused at first when I was yelling into the phone.

Anyways, I go to the University of Texas (I think everyone interviewed in our Business School, my dorm is across the street from that building.) They haven't told us where we will be doing our intership yet but they did say that there were 12 new members and 18 alternates.

And it seems that some on this board seem a little frustrated that the gpa and mcat requirements are rather low and its understandble since you guys work so hard towards your application. From what I see of the other members in the JAMP program, I'm rather certain that most of them would have been accepted to med school anyway because their stats are excellent.

I know people who were in JAMP who seem to have zero financial need, but Texas doesn't determine the need, FAFSA does. You have to be eligible for a Pell Grant to be in JAMP, and so if FAFSA says it, you're there.

And as for scores, I know someone with just marginal scores (according to JAMP) but wasn't in JAMP and got in med school and is doing fine, and I know JAMP people with good grades and good MCAT who are not doing well.

Scores are just screening and probably don't have as much a reflection on how you'll do in medical school as everyone thinks.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrads! I have 2 friends who were accepted also.

I can't emphasize this enough:

TAKE IT!!

...and then thank us later.

Agreed :thumbup: It's basically a golden ticket to get through all the B.S. that virtually everyone on here goes through at least once...

Agreed :thumbup: It's basically a golden ticket to get through all the B.S. that virtually everyone on here goes through at least once...

goldenticketintroxp8.jpg

I am not in JAMP but I did go to a summer program at Texas Tech that had alot to do with JAMP students. It was alot of fun and you can learn alot very quickly.

However, you are not guaranteed a spot. The schools can still not take you. Each school has only a few spots a year for JAMP students and if they all fill up then your are out of luck. Thats how the Texas Tech people explained it...not the students, the admissions people. So def keep your grades and MCAT up.

But the summer thing is alot of fun...

I worked at Baylor. It's an impressive place, and cheaper than a box of pop-tarts. Anyone able to handle living in a place like Houston should go there.

So has anyone found out where they will be heading this summer for the internship? I haven't heard a thing yet. I think my options are TCOM, Texas Tech, A&M, and Baylor. I don't really mind where I go but Lubbock just doesn't sound appealing...hah.

:)

So has anyone found out where they will be heading this summer for the internship? I haven't heard a thing yet. I think my options are TCOM, Texas Tech, A&M, and Baylor. I don't really mind where I go but Lubbock just doesn't sound appealing...hah.

:)

Of course Baylor.... is there any other option in comparison?

So I found out I got into Baylor for the internship which is exciting since my family lives in Katy (suburb outside the city). Anyone else heading to Baylor?

Lucky you, I got matched to TCOM due to the fact that I'm done with my MCAT pre-reqs and the MCAT prep course there is the farthest ahead. What science courses have you not taken?

I got A&M for summer internship. I'm from UT austin so I a lilttle scared of wearing stuff with the UT logo while at A&M. What is there to do in college station anways, anyone go to A&M?

JAMP is a Texas pre-medical program that awards certain college sophomores guaranteed acceptance into a Texas medical school as long as they keep a 3.2 GPA and a 23 MCAT. In order to qualify for the program you must show financial need with proof of recieving the Pell Grant. More information can be found here. http://www.utsystem.edu/jamp
Just for Texas students, I suppose.
There are some schools in MA that do so, of course only for MA students

Lucky you, I got matched to TCOM due to the fact that I'm done with my MCAT pre-reqs and the MCAT prep course there is the farthest ahead. What science courses have you not taken?

I haven't taken Physics 1 or 2.

howdy! =) yeah, I'm an aggie, and I can tell you that it's okay to wear your school shirt around when you are here! I have even seen a couple of people on the A&M campus wearing burnt orange! so yeah, go ahead and show off your school spirit!

heyy! I'm going to TCOM too! I guess I'll see you there this summer! :)

hi I'm a prospective JAMP student and I am just wondering if you guys have any tips on getting accepted into the program? also do you know how long the summer internships last? do they look at only your high school record such as extracurricular activities/leadership positions held or do they look at extracurricular done in college as well?

hi I'm a prospective JAMP student and I am just wondering if you guys have any tips on getting accepted into the program? also do you know how long the summer internships last? do they look at only your high school record such as extracurricular activities/leadership positions held or do they look at extracurricular done in college as well?

I was wondering the same thing! What was your GPA to get accepted into JAMP?

I was wondering the same thing! What was your GPA to get accepted into JAMP?

GPA of 3.2 and must have 30 hrs accumulated before you apply and there is a certain limit on the number of AP credits you have. I believe only 3 hrs AP credit and you must be a sophomore when you apply.. I think application is due october of your sophomore yr. in college.

GPA of 3.2 and must have 30 hrs accumulated before you apply and there is a certain limit on the number of AP credits you have. I believe only 3 hrs AP credit and you must be a sophomore when you apply.. I think application is due october of your sophomore yr. in college.

3.2?! How pathetic:thumbdown:

3.2?! How pathetic:thumbdown:

Yeah it is pretty bad...I really think that does not prove you're med school material. That's a joke of a gpa and since when does being disadvantaged correlate with a crappy gpa. I'm a disadvantaged student with 2 jobs and full time student and I'm kicking ***** with a gpa of 3.8. There's no excuse

Reactions: 1 user