JUST GOT ACCEPTED INTO JAMP (Joint Admission Medical Program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Necro-bumping trolls (or legit n00bs) gone wild

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah it is pretty bad...I really think that does not prove you're med school material. That's a joke of a gpa and since when does being disadvantaged correlate with a crappy gpa. I'm a disadvantaged student with 2 jobs and full time student and I'm kicking ***** with a gpa of 3.8. There's no excuse

Since always. You are an outlier, and that is admirable!

What's that? Is that the sound of a URM debate approaching? :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
What's that? Is that the sound of a URM debate approaching? :rolleyes:

I LOL'ed big-time there.

I'll head this off before it starts...

I teach HS at a >95% poverty rate HS. I have never had ONE STUDENT crack 510 on a section of the SAT (of any race, gender, or creed)... including students who scored perfects on their Biology finals. Nearly all of my graduating seniors have dropped out during their stay at a 4-year Uni, and those that make it defy the odds. Sometimes, no matter how brilliant you are, where you grow up and what you have determines too much of your life trajectory.

I am actually a candidate for Jamp and when I get into college I will apply. I meet the financial and academic criteria to obtain a spot....Hurray for me. Just do not get the idea that I am not intelligent. I would rather take the automatic acceptances rather than battling the monster of the admissions....

Hey, didn't want to start a new thread....

I had a few questions regarding admission into JAMP.... Their website says you have to either qualify for a Pell Grant or have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) below $8000. My EFC is below 8k, but not by like, WAY too much. Does the JAMP organization consider that? Or is it just, if you are below 8000, then admission into the program is the same as all other people below 8000?

wow ... guaranteed entrance with a 23? that is absurd.

Hey, didn't want to start a new thread....

I had a few questions regarding admission into JAMP.... Their website says you have to either qualify for a Pell Grant or have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) below $8000. My EFC is below 8k, but not by like, WAY too much. Does the JAMP organization consider that? Or is it just, if you are below 8000, then admission into the program is the same as all other people below 8000?

Go and ask a JAMP administrator at your university. Every university in Texas has one. Make an appointment and ask all the questions to him/her.

It's Texas. Take it and run. Scholarship > chance at Ivy.

Go and ask a JAMP administrator at your university. Every university in Texas has one. Make an appointment and ask all the questions to him/her.

Yeah i actually did ask the school I'm transferring to. He told me a lot of useful info, for example, last year 5 students applied and 4 got into the JAMP program, and the year before 5 applied and 3 got in, this year 10 are applying :eek:

I actually wanted to ask student's perspective on things, for example, was it hard for you to gain admission into the program?
And some things I would feel a little awkward asking the JAMP administrator about, like financial stuff (I don't want him to think I'm another fairly rich kid trying to get an easy short cut).- especially since (if admitted) you would have to meet with the guy once every month.

Yeah i actually did ask the school I'm transferring to. He told me a lot of useful info, for example, last year 5 students applied and 4 got into the JAMP program, and the year before 5 applied and 3 got in, this year 10 are applying :eek:

I actually wanted to ask student's perspective on things, for example, was it hard for you to gain admission into the program?
And some things I would feel a little awkward asking the JAMP administrator about, like financial stuff (I don't want him to think I'm another fairly rich kid trying to get an easy short cut).- especially since (if admitted) you would have to meet with the guy once every month.

Well that i can't tell you since i never applied and i don't know anyone that did. Seriously, your best bet is your Jamp administrator. since 5 people applied last year and 4 got accepted, it gives you an idea that you 60-80% chance of getting in. So if 10 people are applying this year, they may accept 6-8 people. I think if you meet their requirements and interview well, there is no reason for you not to get in. since your EFC meets their requirement, i advice you to go ahead and apply after you get recommendations form your Jamp coordinator. Good luck.

Congrats, that very awesome, and there's nothing wrong with the texas schools so just go for it :)

I am kind of curious about the jamp programs. I hadn't heard that much, but was wondering why standards are so relaxed. If virtually anyone else coming out of undergrad had a 3.2 and 23 they would have to be dreaming to get an acceptance into an allopathic med school, and it seems weird these are their standards.

what are you gonna do

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
jamp frustrates me. I'm sorry i can't help it my parents make 1 million a year EACH

Ballin' Stacks!

more-fail-18769-1251768484-55.jpg

just raging, see the quotes

Last edited:

Last edited:

Last edited:
:rolleyes: I bet you would...

Yeah... And don't blame the JAMP administration for the criteria for getting accepted, blame the government/federal aid criteria for that (cause that's what JAMP uses).

The bad part of the program is the many upper-middle class students who take the spots instead of actually disadvantaged people (there are many ways to fool FAFSA).

Must be nice. I busted my ass in undergrad with no parental support working the whole way to get a 4.0/38+ (keepin score anony). First day of class I sit next to a JAMP student who scored in the 20s on the MCAT. I know this because they proudly announced it. Why did I bother? Enjoy your free handouts leech... (UTSW indeed accepted a JAMP student with MCAT in the 20s, stats on their website confirm it)

EDIT: Oh yes, they also get to take classes ahead of schedule and GET PAID to do so over the summer. Let me say that again: they GET PAID to GET TUTORED and take classes early. Sound backwards? I was working a real job during that time to help minimize my debt...

EDIT2: JAMP Program is absurd. Yes my parents make a lot of money. I do not. And just because my parents make a lot of money doesn't mean I ever see any of it...

Somebody is angry at the world.

It has nothing to do with being mad at the world. The program is not fair. Multiple times it has been stated that the program shouldn't exist and that students should be forced to perform just as well as their peers. Additionally, they are too young IMO to have decided on definitely medicine as a future career.

In undergrad or in medical school? If someone graduates medical school who was a part of JAMP, then doesn't that show they were capable of performing at a level similar to or above their peers? Getting into medical school is one thing, staying in is obviously another. Being a part of JAMP doesn't exclude one from taking the same tests, taking the same clinical rotations, and passing the same boards as their peers in medical school. If they're underprepared, well then I imagine it probably shows in the form of probation or dismissal from the medical school (it's not like JAMP would put those statistics on their website though). Sure, they're being held to slightly lower standards at the undergraduate level, but everyone is expected to perform at a completely higher level in medical school. If they manage to graduate and land a residency, who's to say that they didn't deserve that accomplishment just because they were a part of JAMP? :confused:

yes i was begging sarcastic. I'm mocking those who dislike this program. i applied to JAMP this spring haha

Last edited:
my parents pay FULL tuition for me to go to undergrad, and i own all my classes being #1 in each (theres a ranking). got 98 percentile on SAT. Meanwhile, JAMPers (who are on SCHOLARSHIP or FINANCIAL AID) have the opportunity to apply for some bullish*t program that i can't apply to because my parents bring in too much money. they are already at the college with help from the school or gov., why do they need more? I'm sorry to sound so annoyed but this just doesn't seem right to me.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. I would assume so but you can never tell on these boards

It has nothing to do with being mad at the world. The program is not fair. Multiple times it has been stated that the program shouldn't exist and that students should be forced to perform just as well as their peers. Additionally, they are too young IMO to have decided on definitely medicine as a future career.

Program criteria for admission are stupid, I do think the general idea behind the program is pretty good though. And you apply in sophomore year (not straight out of HS, although you can but not as many people do). By 2nd year mostly everyone knows they're doing medicine.

Sadly I too know of many individuals who abused this program and are now in Medical School.

Seeing as how our state is facing a budget shortfall--let's see what they do.

How easy is it to be kicked out of JAMP? I know one person who was kicked out before he applied and so now he has been struggling to get in on his own for the past few years, and another that lost his automatic acceptance after he interviewed at all the schools so he had to rely on the match. I always though that JAMP=100% acceptance, but it doesn't always seem that way.

And I also knew a person who was definitely not in any financial hardships and was in JAMP. It seems like it's easy to circumvent the requirements.

How easy is it to be kicked out of JAMP? I know one person who was kicked out before he applied and so now he has been struggling to get in on his own for the past few years, and another that lost his automatic acceptance after he interviewed at all the schools so he had to rely on the match. I always though that JAMP=100% acceptance, but it doesn't always seem that way.

And I also knew a person who was definitely not in any financial hardships and was in JAMP. It seems like it's easy to circumvent the requirements.

The stats are over 55% of the students in the program either get kicked out or drop out. Usually it's the student's fault, but give JAMP some blame for having SO many criteria.

I think JAMP is necessary for the future of our healthcare. Stats say they are more likely to serve in underserved areas so there is really no need to bash on JAMP. This 2013 cycle, the JAMPers will need 25 on their MCAT, not 23. This raising of the bar for guaranteed acceptance is certainly a concern.

I think JAMP is necessary for the future of our healthcare. Stats say they are more likely to serve in underserved areas so there is really no need to bash on JAMP. This 2013 cycle, the JAMPers will need 25 on their MCAT, not 23. This raising of the bar for guaranteed acceptance is certainly a concern.

Oh my god they need a 25 now? shoot that's got to be a hard score to get!

Last edited:
Oh my god they need a 25 now? shoot that's got to be a hard score to get!

I guess the positive aspect of raising the MCAT score requirement for our fellow JAMPers is that the quality of physician will increase further. They stil have to score more than 7 on each section so at least they are still well-balanced. Not just 10 PS 5 VR 10 BS

Not everything is a stat. We have applicants who are unable to speak intelligible English (thick accents). We have applicants who are unable to articulate why they wish to be physicians other than they don't wish to be engineers or because it is a long family tradition going back many generations.

I think achieving diversity is important and I would appreciate if many of my future classmates will be JAMPers who combatted adversity and achieved a 25 on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I think achieving diversity is important and I would appreciate if many of my future classmates will be JAMPers who combatted adversity and achieved a 25 on the MCAT.

this has got to be the best passive aggressive trolling i have seen on SDN in a while

"The Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP) is a special program created by the Texas Legislature to support and encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged Texas resident students pursuing a medical education."

Obviously, the Texas Legistlature believes it has a responsibility to encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged Texas resident students to pursue a medical education. If you disagree, write to your legistators and tell them why the program should be de-funded. If they don't listen, vote the bas+ards out of office. But think good and hard why you would oppose a pipeline that would help smart but poor kids in Texas to get the education they need to be medical providers for their fellow Texans.

"The Joint Admission Medical Program (JAMP) is a special program created by the Texas Legislature to support and encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged Texas resident students pursuing a medical education."

Obviously, the Texas Legistlature believes it has a responsibility to encourage highly qualified, economically disadvantaged Texas resident students to pursue a medical education. If you disagree, write to your legistators and tell them why the program should be de-funded. If they don't listen, vote the bas+ards out of office. But think good and hard why you would oppose a pipeline that would help smart but poor kids in Texas to get the education they need to be medical providers for their fellow Texans.

Exactly. The program itself is great, I think the only problem is their selection of applicants. Their only criteria to show economic disadvantage (EFC below 8k), and there are plenty of ways to bring that EFC down; I've met kids who aren't disadvantaged (more like very advantaged) at all, and get into this program while they're parents make over 250K.

I'd love to have a status update of those on this thread who said they applied for JAMP. What year are you? Did you get in the JAMP pragram? How was the internships or MCAT prep courses? Come on, don't leave me hanging...

I am very interested in applying to JAMP myself. I have a few questions. Is it a difficult program to get accepted into? How competitive is it? If i meet all the requirements do I have a guaranteed spot in the program, or is there a limited amount of spots? What's the process of getting in?

Lol funny story. After freaking out for months I ended up getting into the program last month :) yaay!
The competitiveness and difficulty depends on what school you go to and how many people they pick from your school. They only pick a select amount from each school so if you know the amount picked from your school then you can analyze your chances.

I've just been accepted into the JAMP program but I have no idea what to expect. Does anyone have any experiences they could share with me?

I'm really grateful for getting into the program but I still have an urge to go to an ivy league medical school. Unfortunately, if I go out of state (Texas) after accepting the scholarship money and stipends towards the internships during the summer, I may have to pay it all back out of pocket... Any advice at all?

Oh for those that are not informed, JAMP is a Texas pre-medical program that awards certain college sophomores guaranteed acceptance into a Texas medical school as long as they keep a 3.2 GPA and a 23 MCAT. In order to qualify for the program you must show financial need with proof of recieving the Pell Grant. More information can be found here. http://www.utsystem.edu/jamp

what....!!!

I am very interested in applying to JAMP myself. I have a few questions. Is it a difficult program to get accepted into? How competitive is it? If i meet all the requirements do I have a guaranteed spot in the program, or is there a limited amount of spots? What's the process of getting in?

Lol funny story. After freaking out for months I ended up getting into the program last month :) yaay!
The competitiveness and difficulty depends on what school you go to and how many people they pick from your school. They only pick a select amount from each school so if you know the amount picked from your school then you can analyze your chances. What university do you attend?

Much congratulations and felicitations!! I actually contacted the JAMP office today and the representative told me that there was an interview process as well, could you tell me about that? I am actually a meticulous junior in high school. However, my prospective schools include: Baylor, Texas A&M, and if by any tiny miracle, Rice.

Much congratulations and felicitations!! I actually contacted the JAMP office today and the representative told me that there was an interview process as well, could you tell me about that? I am actually a meticulous junior in high school. However, my prospective schools include: Baylor, Texas A&M, and if by any tiny miracle, Rice.
Well look at you! You're a junior in high school and already on top of your game :claps:Kudos. To get into JAMP there is an application as well as an interview process. In may, the application opens for college freshman and it is due by october. Once submited, the application is processed by JAMP and they select a few students and pick them for an interview in january. The students selected are interviewed by two people (they might be doctors, or even medical school students). You then wait again and some time in march they notify the students if they did or did not get in the program. The interview process isn't too bad becasue alot of people say as if you get an intervew and dont screw it up, you're prety much in the program.

Congrats me16. One of the JAMP student at my college is the brightest kid I know.

Hey y'all! first year JAMP student here. I'm headed to TCOM for my Summer I internship, any other 2014 JAMPers here?

Hey y'all! first year JAMP student here. I'm headed to TCOM for my Summer I internship, any other 2014 JAMPers here?
Heeyyyyy thedeerhunter welcome to the club!! I'm also a 2014 first year JAMPER but I'm headed to A&M this summer.

Does anyone know why people who were kicked out of the program were kicked out?

You can be kicked out if you don't make the standard G.P.A and grade requrements

You can be kicked out if you don't make the standard G.P.A and grade requrements
I was accepted this year as well, but I think that my science GPA might go a little below the requirement after this semester so now I am scared of losing my spot :'(