Just got my COMLEX Lvl 2 score back....What are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panther97

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never been a great standardized test taker. I just got my Lvl 2 score back and I did a lot worse than I had thought based off how I felt walking out of the exam. I'm feeling devastated. I did the worst possible on Lvl 1 too. I didnt even take step 1 or 2. What are my chances at matching if I dual apply to peds and IM? Has anyone ever heard of someone triple applying? Wondering if I should add on FM too. At this point, I just want to match and dont rly have any limitations as far as where I apply. I'm definitely open to community programs and whatever other options there are. Can anyone offer their advice here? Triple applying? If I dual apply, I'd definitely be more content applying to peds and IM but I'm worried I'm taking a bit of a risk not applying FM. Stats and more info are below. If there's any other info you need just ask and I'll answer! Thanks in advance!

Lvl 1: 407 (shoot me) first attempt
Lvl 2: 466 first attempt

Never failed a class in my pre-clinical years. I'm in good standing with my school. For my clinical years, I pretty much received honors designation according to my preceptor evals. However, the chokepoint for me was doing well on the COMATs (again, I suck with standardized exams). So the way my school works is that if my preceptor gives me honors designation on their eval but I score below average on a comsae (but still pass), then I just get a pass for that rotation. Anyways below are my core rotations:

EM - pass
FM - pass
Psych - pass
Surgery - pass
IM - high pass
Peds - high pass
OBGYN - high pass

As far as LORs go:
Cardiology attending (sub-i) - strong
Psych attending - strong
Peds attending - strong
IM - dont have a letter (my attending said he would give me one but it's been more than 5 months now and no response after following up multiple times)
FM - decent - strong (FM attending was late getting it into to me but I know we clicked very well)
IM dept chair letter: strong

Members don't see this ad.

Not bad. You’ll be fine. Agree with the above, apply to as many programs possible to secure the interviews, and see what you get! You’ll be fine for FM, apply for IM too, and sure you can do peds, see what happens (people triple apply all the time, it’s harder to navigate but more doable now that interviews are virtual). Most important thing is that you didn’t fail a comlex! Plenty of people fail Level 1 or Level 2 and still match into IM and of course FM. For you, I would def target the traditional DO programs. You have to broadly apply though (meaning every single program to secure those early interviews which may not be available later on), to be successful. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to IM and peds broadly. You should be able to match peds if you have a pulse. No need to apply to FM

Reactions: 2 users
You should be able to match peds if that’s what you want. What are your goals career wise? Peds or IM? I think you can match either specialty. Peds because it’s uncompetitive; IM because there are just so many programs (granted it will be a community program that closes doors to competitive specialties).

You should be able to match peds if that’s what you want. What are your goals career wise? Peds or IM? I think you can match either specialty. Peds because it’s uncompetitive; IM because there are just so many programs (granted it will be a community program that closes doors to competitive specialties).
So I honestly wouldn't mind matching either into peds or IM. If I really had to choose, maybe there is just a slight preference in peds. If I do peds, I do definitely see myself hoping to specialize. If I were to do IM, I could see myself going into endocrinology after but I would be just as content being a hospitalist too. Thanks for your input! This is giving me some reassurance =)

So I honestly wouldn't mind matching either into peds or IM. If I really had to choose, maybe there is just a slight preference in peds. If I do peds, I do definitely see myself hoping to specialize. If I were to do IM, I could see myself going into endocrinology after but I would be just as content being a hospitalist too. Thanks for your input! This is giving me some reassurance =)
I think you’ll be set up for either and can specialize in either. Endocrinology isn’ta super competitive specialty for IM so you should be fine matching it from a community program but I’m not the one to speak on it since it’s not my specialty

I just wanted to provide an update. I ended up matching my #2 in a strong community IM program. I'm super relieved and content with where I matched. I got to stay within the geographic region I was hoping to as well. :)

• Love
Reactions: 16 users