Just graduated High School, Took Practice MCAT verbal

Jman2018

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok i just graduated high school and took a practice MCAT verbal test on the aamc website and only got a 9, i figured the rest i cant do because i havent taken any of the classes yet and dont know the stuff. Is a practice test 9 Going to correlate highly to what i get a few years from now and in the meantime how can i go about improving my reading skills.

Also 30Reading ACT == 9 MCAT verbal? Dang:scared::confused::eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Is a practice test 9 Going to correlate highly to what i get a few years from now
No. Enjoy school and learn. You will develop your skills as you proceed in your education.

Why are you even thinking about meddling with MCAT stuff right now? There will be plenty of time for you to stress out over this test in the future. You just graduated high school, I think your first priority should be partying and socializing right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since you've already started this topic, does anyone know how to access the answers to the free 3R form on AAMC.org?

I did a passage a while ago and would like to see my performance.

-Indian

Why are you even thinking about meddling with MCAT stuff right now? There will be plenty of time for you to stress out over this test in the future. You just graduated high school, I think your first priority should be partying and socializing right now.

Increasing MCAT verbals is something considered hard to do. Why not work at it.
Also im a Nerd no real life :laugh:

Actually I wouldn't call a 9 on any MCAT section as being all that bad at your stage of the game.

That said, I agree with others in that this should not even be on your radar screen at this point.

Go to college, do well academically, have fun, do crazy things, etc.... experience the college life.

a 9 is fine. Verbal is the least likely to fluctuate so you are in good shape. Leave the MCAT alone for a bit and focus on summer and then UG classes.

a 9 is fine. Verbal is the least likely to fluctuate so you are in good shape. Leave the MCAT alone for a bit and focus on summer and then UG classes.

I just did a few passages from the released 3R version of the MCAT and I'm rather discouraged. :(. I got around 11/20. :( ... Is there anyway I can improve this over the next few years? I will practice a ton (with practice questions) when I study for the MCATs 3 years from now but how about right now? I've been reading some books here and there and always read the material for microeconomics, but what usually helps improve Verbal? I have read the economist for a bit (science articles).... but I don't see how that'll improve my verbal since the reading isn't very difficult.

Any help will be appreciated. :scared:

Edit: Peterson MCAT is false... When I did those passages I would get 8/9 80% to 90% of the time.... the real mcat practice exams, 5x harder.

Well i decided to start school over the summer to begin getting things out of the way, esp because im doing Eng and 1/2 of the science i'll need wont be a Requirement

Really. I'm getting tired of high school kids constantly asking this same question over and over again.

I wouldn't worry about it right now. There are people getting ready for med school that don't make 9's. So try not worry right now. The best thing you can do right now is finish high school strong and then work on some strong ECs until it's time to get ready for the MCAT for real. Enjoy life while you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously dude, relax. You've got plenty of time before you start worrying about that test. Your energy will be much better spent on relaxing and enjoying yourself so you'll be ready to kick a** when you start college.

The best way to improve Verbal score is to just get used to the Verbal section. Learn to anticipate question types, develop strategies for attacking and visualizing the passage, and learn the styles of wrong answers it throws at you.

In short, something you don't worry about until you study for the MCAT.

If you really need a way to prep all throughout college, take a couple philosophy/lit classes stressing reading and writing. If you develop the critical reading and thinking skills now, you'll do better later.

Seriously? Why worry about the MCAT now? Just focus on doing well during your freshman year (for now).

:thumbup:

A 9/15 is a great score on a practice MCAT for someone who just graduated high school! However (this is where I segregate), you shouldn't be focusing on the MCAT at this stage in the game (as others have stated). My SAT writing score (which is what I'm assuming we are going by) is comparable to yours and I, personally, am confident I'll be able to score above a 10 on the VR section of the MCAT when I take the test. Good :luck: in college! Your score should only travel north :).

The best way to improve Verbal score is to just get used to the Verbal section. Learn to anticipate question types, develop strategies for attacking and visualizing the passage, and learn the styles of wrong answers it throws at you.

In short, something you don't worry about until you study for the MCAT.

If you really need a way to prep all throughout college, take a couple philosophy/lit classes stressing reading and writing. If you develop the critical reading and thinking skills now, you'll do better later.

Great advice. :thumbup:

Higher level literature classes should (hopefully) result in a higher MCAT verbal score.

Yeah, I agree with the above. Verbal is a tough one because it more-or-less tests your reading speed at a given level of comprehension. You will improve your score by practicing with passages when you study for the MCAT, but that's pretty much all you can do to improve. On the other hand, if you have years to prepare yourself you are in much better shape. Read. Read a lot. Read esoteric, philosophical, artsy stuff. The entire MCAT is essentially a reading test, not just the verbal. If you are a strong reader you'll be at a much higher baseline by the time the MCAT comes along.

^ I concur. In any event, assuming the OP hasn't had a lot of experience with undergraduate level science classes, the two writing prompts and passage based reading sections are all that he can really do.

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm studying for my emergency medicine boards!

The comparison isn't the same seeing that studying verbal two years ahead is different then studying for EM boards 10 years ahead.

I wasn't aiming for an exact relationship. Since we are playing relative length of time, we'll change emergency medicine boards to gross anatomy :D

Sorry to be a stickler, but you always graduate FROM a school. You never graduate the school. I graduated from High School, college, etc... And congratulations to you and good luck in your endeavors. :thumbup:

I'm a sophomore in college and I'm studying for my emergency medicine boards!

My wife is 4 months pregnant and I am already playing Exam cracker Audioosmosis next to her belly. I am hoping my child scores high in verbal reasoning in the nursery.

Last edited:
My wife is 4 months pregnant and I am already playing Exam cracker Audioosmosis next to her belly. I am hoping my child scores high in verbal reasoning in the nursery.

Oh me oh my. I dunno if this can be beaten. Perhaps if I duct-tape earbuds to my scrotum and play the entire Webster's Collegiate Dictionary while my spermatozoa are forming?