Kaplan course books vs. the ones on amazon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

palma

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the difference between the books you get form the course and the ones sold on Amazon (Kaplan MCAT Physics,Biology, Chemistry etc.)?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference between the books you get form the course and the ones sold on Amazon (Kaplan MCAT Physics,Biology, Chemistry etc.)?

The course books are going to be a lot more in depth and helpful, honestly. Which is why the price is SO different.

If you're going for self-study, EK is probably the best "over the counter" buy you can make.

The course books are going to be a lot more in depth and helpful, honestly. Which is why the price is SO different.

If you're going for self-study, EK is probably the best "over the counter" buy you can make.

That's not really true for Kaplan. I have the Premier Program (the big Kaplan book you can get at bookstores) and the science content is the exact same as in the course books I got from a friend. The only difference in the is that in the course books there are 10-15 discreet questions at the end of each chapter. The course book for verbal has a ton of passages that the big book doesn't, but honestly that's not important because Kaplan verbal sucks.

TPR book that you can get from a bookstore is different than the hyperlearning books you get from the class. The course books for TPR really are better than the one you can just buy. The Kaplan course isn't so valuable because the books you get in the class are better than the big one, it's good because they give you so many full-lengths, topicals, and sectional tests.

I just noticed that Amazon has Kaplan books coming out for each subject on May 26. OP is this what you were asking about? It says they have "Hundreds of practice questions -- more than any other competitor." I wouldn't be surprised if they are the exact same as the books you get in class.

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest either. There are better options out there.

Biology: 1. EK Bio + EK 1001 Bio, non-detail oriented 1. BR/TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Check out the For Sale forum on here.