Kaplan-need your advise

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisochka

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to take Kaplan April-August, and they said that if I feel not ready to take the MCAT in August they (Kaplan) will let me stay in their program till next April for no additional cost.
I was wondering if I really won't be ready to take the MCAT in August, then Kaplan might change their mind (I have had some problems with insurance companies, they always find a way not to pay money, like they come up with the waiting periods or "No, we don't cover this procedure" stuff. You know what I mean? ) and not let me to stay in their program till next April.
Anyway, I was wondering if someone knows any pitfalls to that?
How do I make sure that they keep their word?
Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

So you are going to take Kaplan this summer for Aug 2006 and then will stay for the next admin?

The only problem with this is that Aug 2006 is the last paper test and after will switch to computer based testing. They will also offer more dates to test so you won't have to wait until April.

Also they might not keep up with the deal since the program would change to adapt to the new format.

In addition to what Brett said, you should also be aware that if you opt not to take the August MCAT then they may not give you another course or make you pay part of the fee. As I recall from a panel I went to with a bunch of different companies doing talks about their programs, make sure you read their guarantee very carefully about whether or not you'll be able to take the course again. Good luck

Lisochka said:
I was going to take Kaplan April-August, and they said that if I feel not ready to take the MCAT in August they (Kaplan) will let me stay in their program till next April for no additional cost.
I was wondering if I really won't be ready to take the MCAT in August, then Kaplan might change their mind (I have had some problems with insurance companies, they always find a way not to pay money, like they come up with the waiting periods or "No, we don't cover this procedure" stuff. You know what I mean? ) and not let me to stay in their program till next April.
Anyway, I was wondering if someone knows any pitfalls to that?
How do I make sure that they keep their word?
Thanks guys

As long as you attend all the classes, do the required homework (which is a small percentage of everything they have) and take the proctored exams (5 of them) and let them know that you want to retake the exam within 90 days of your test date in August, you qualify for the Higher Score Guarantee. I've got lots of friends that have prepared for the exam twice, either taking it once and wanting a better score, or not taking it at all because you're not ready.
Kaplan is the only one of the companies that lets you retake their class without making you take the real exam. You only want to take the MCAT once, remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
o man! so, I guess I better not to pay money yet for the summer course.

Does kaplan give a contract before I pay them the money?
because I would like to read what is in it...

PPatel said:
As long as you attend all the classes, do the required homework (which is a small percentage of everything they have) and take the proctored exams (5 of them) and let them know that you want to retake the exam within 90 days of your test date in August, you qualify for the Higher Score Guarantee. I've got lots of friends that have prepared for the exam twice, either taking it once and wanting a better score, or not taking it at all because you're not ready.
Kaplan is the only one of the companies that lets you retake their class without making you take the real exam. You only want to take the MCAT once, remember.

See, they told me on the phone that it was 8 months (August till April ), not 90 days...
I am glad I opened this topic before I paid the money for the course.

BrettBatchelor said:
Make sure and ask them about how it affected by the computer test changes.

That is a great advice!
Thank you Bret!

Hey guys, can I ask them to write that statement for me (We, Kaplan guarantee that if she does not feel prepeared to take the MCAT in August, she can stay in our program for no additional charge till April)
It would be better to have a paper that just verbal promice.
But, I kind of dout that they will agree to the written promice.
What do you think, guys?

BrettBatchelor said:
It is written...Search the kaplan site for their HSG policy.

That's right. Read the contract and that is what they are responsible for.

BrettBatchelor said:
It is written...Search the kaplan site for their HSG policy.

Brett, I am lost :confused: this HSG which one is it? http://www.kaplan.com/Search/default.aspx?term="MCAT+HSG+policy"&page=1

The thing is, I was going to take the Kaplan classroom course, because it is better, but I live 2 hours drive from the Kaplan center, so I will miss some classes. Will I have a problem then with the HSG?
What SHG stands for?

Thank you guys, so much for helping me!

You should have no problem. I work for Kaplan and our closest center is about 2 or more hours away. Kaplan is very good at standing behind its High Score Guarantee. You should have no problem, just complete the assigned homework, attend class, and take the full-length practice tests. Good luck!