KCU vs Marian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOCzilla15

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got into Marian after initially being waitlisted. I have been accepted to KCU and AT Still and between these two I chose KCU. Now I'm faced with the decision between KCU and Marian. Being from Chicago is making this more challenging. If the schools were right next to each other I think I'd be going to KCU pretty easily just based on 100 years is far more established than 4 years. Is there any argument to be made for Marian/ does it have any pros over KCU?

Members don't see this ad.

KCU. This isn't even a decision.

Reactions: 7 users
Is it just me or is MUCOM and CUSOM highly inflated on SDN? The deans must be putting on quite a show on interview day

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or is MUCOM and CUSOM highly inflated on SDN? The deans must be putting on quite a show on interview day
No I understand the discrepancies between the two schools I just wanted to know if there were any pros for mu that I was missing because other than proximity to home i couldn't think of any
The interview day was actually quite disorganized

Reactions: 1 user

I interviewed at both and I found both of them to be capable schools. Though I think MUCOM is frankly a tiny building with limited space. I liked CUSOM a lot when I interviewed there and the program made sense.

KCU is undoubtedly the stronger school with a lot of good things going for it. However if the OP is very family and friends oriented, then potentially living within driving distance back to Chicago will be advantageous.

There was a point and time where everybody was on the MUCOM hype train acting like it was the next big "good" DO school. Turns out, it's just an average DO school like all of them.

There was a point and time where everybody was on the MUCOM hype train acting like it was the next big "good" DO school. Turns out, it's just an average DO school like all of them.

I think for a new school to be considered an average school without major need for overhaul is actually an accomplishment. But they did have an attitude of being the Harvard of the DO world which seems to likely have died down.

Hate to say this but they were better than all the rural schools I interviewed at. Just get rid of the elitist attitude and they would be amazing.

Seriously? It was that bad?

I interviewed there, and I kind of felt the air of "the next Harvard of the DO world." I didn't mind it too much. However, there were 1-2 MMI rooms that would have interviewers that would grill you to the ground on an ethical scenario. Kind of irritated me because it wasn't like they were pulling out the best in me, but were trying to weed me out.

Reactions: 1 users
Marian is VERY focused on primary care.

I interviewed at MUCOM. Their selling point is that they are like a an apple store where even a door has a ipad instead of a knob. They were really snobish and acted like they were at the level of an MD school or PCOM/DMU/KCU.

I interviewed at MUCOM. Their selling point is that they are like a an apple store where even a door has a ipad instead of a knob. They were really snobish and acted like they were at the level of an MD school or PCOM/DMU/KCU.

This was personally one of my major turn aways from the school. They opened up shop and claimed they'd be the harvard of DO schools and many people bought it leading to their first class having a very impressive profile. Their MMI format was terrible, almost as bad as SOMA's random SP encounter.
This combined with the school being extremely small and having a nursing school in the same building made me think it was cramped.
Their anatomy lab was probably the second best I've seen tho. With CUSOM's anatomy lab being the best I've ever seen.

But anyways, I think MUCOM did really need a personality change.

This isn't even a contest. KCU had graduated like what 100 classes. That's 100 more than MUCOM.

KCUMB is a solid school, that is in the somewhat above average range with long established connections in the area. MUCOM is still a new school with essentially no reputation. You're not missing anything important, unless maybe MUCOM is giving you half off tuition or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go where you'll be most supported and be happy i.e. If you're the kind of person that wants to see family once a week MUCOM might be a better choice. But in terms of school to school I don't see an argument for not choosing KCU and have no idea why anyone would EVER call Marian the Harvard of DO.

I didn't get the "Harvard" vibe when I was there. They seemed like normal students/administrators when I was there.
I didn't like the curriculum though so I passed on my acceptance.
Indianapolis is a great city, lots to do.

This isn't even a contest. KCU had graduated like what 100 classes. That's 100 more than MUCOM.

KCUMB is a solid school, that is in the somewhat above average range with long established connections in the area. MUCOM is still a new school with essentially no reputation. You're not missing anything important, unless maybe MUCOM is giving you half off tuition or something.
This.

I enjoyed my interview at MUCOM.I would go there if I hadn't gotten other acceptances from other established schools. The students I met seemed happy, the faculty were very friendly- there were md's on the faculty taking OMM. student feedback is highly valued. They have established clinical rotations. I came away with a very positive impression. The only problem for me was... it's a new school. I would have been glad to go there otherwise.

how about KCU-Joplin vs. Marian? Will you still vote for KCU-Joplin? Any input is much appreciated!

This was personally one of my major turn aways from the school. They opened up shop and claimed they'd be the harvard of DO schools and many people bought it leading to their first class having a very impressive profile. Their MMI format was terrible, almost as bad as SOMA's random SP encounter.
This combined with the school being extremely small and having a nursing school in the same building made me think it was cramped.
Their anatomy lab was probably the second best I've seen tho. With CUSOM's anatomy lab being the best I've ever seen.

But anyways, I think MUCOM did really need a personality change.

I interviewed at both MUCOM and SOMA.

MUCOM definitely had an air of superiority about them. To say that the school had a palpable ego would be an understatement. They also had a sort of "Trump-Putin" relationship with IU. I was impressed with the facilities and the resources, and their rotation sites seemed excellent. Their MMI format was, as most seem to agree, absolutely brutal. I crashed and burned hard and I'm usually a good interviewer. Their interviews are like an ethical debate on hard mode, combined with an obstacle course of mind-f**ks.

ATSU-SOMA, on the other hand, was my favorite interview by far. I disagree with your assertion that their patient encounter was bad. Their interview day was long and exhausting, but it was also extremely thorough. I mean, to me, their interview process is the best way to assess a medical school candidate.

I interviewed at both MUCOM and SOMA.

MUCOM definitely had an air of superiority about them. To say that the school had a palpable ego would be an understatement. They also had a sort of "Trump-Putin" relationship with IU. I was impressed with the facilities and the resources, and their rotation sites seemed excellent. Their MMI format was, as most seem to agree, absolutely brutal. I crashed and burned hard and I'm usually a good interviewer. Their interviews are like an ethical debate on hard mode, combined with an obstacle course of mind-f**ks.

ATSU-SOMA, on the other hand, was my favorite interview by far. I disagree with your assertion that their patient encounter was bad. Their interview day was long and exhausting, but it was also extremely thorough. I mean, to me, their interview process is the best way to assess a medical school candidate.

I found myself off put by SOMA for a lot of reasons. It was honestly just not the program for me. I during my interview trail had mixed reactions to lots of schools. Only KCU really made me fall in love.

how about KCU-Joplin vs. Marian? Will you still vote for KCU-Joplin? Any input is much appreciated!

I honestly don't know anything about KCU-Joplin. To me that would be a tougher decision, so I would really look into the curriculum.

Is it whole new faculty at this site? Will you have access to the same rotations and will you be sorted to the sites the same way KCUMB main students are? Have those things even been decided yet? Will you have your own curriculum or will it just be copied and pasted from KCUMB main? If it is copy and pasted will you have access to the faculty that designed that curriculum (remember you'll be a good distance a way and its possible you'll never see those people)? Are lectures going to be telecast? If so is the infrastructure in place and what kind of backup system is in place for technical difficulties? Will your diploma say KCUMB or will it say KCUMB-Joplin? Etc. etc. etc.

These are all questions you should find the answer to before making the decision to attend.

From my understanding the wards (or maybe ward) at KCU-Joplin are more extensive and established than the KCU-KC site.

You are rotating at Mercy Health System in Jopline as well as Freeman Health System. Freeman has a good amount of residences (IM, Peds, ENT, Surgery, etc) that have all reached either initial or pre accreditation to ACGME. I think this strong association with the school and the hospital will be a very good strength of KCU Joplin

I'm honestly pretty surprised of people reporting an elitist vibe with MUCOM. That makes me sad our school comes off that way. I'm a current 4th year, and I don't have any involvement in the interview day so that stinks that happens. I can guarantee you the vibe you get isn't the vibe of everyone. While they seem to push primary care, many people in my class are not going that way (including myself). So while that was said, don't think you will be pigeon holed into that section of medicine.

I never applied to KCU so I don't have any opinion, but being in MUCOMs first class I can tell you being a part of a program that has been around a while probably is a little bit smoother. That being said, you would be in the 5th class at Marian so many things will run pretty on par with other DO schools by that point.

Honestly going through DO school already, I will tell you they are all essentially the same. Go where you will be happy. Your education is based off of you. Residencies care about your board scores which are honestly completely on your shoulders. Your happiness during med school is number one try not to get sidetracked by small things or even match lists - match lists are again based off of the individual students, not the institution.

If you have any specific marian questions, feel free to PM me.

Their MMI format was, as most seem to agree, absolutely brutal. I crashed and burned hard and I'm usually a good interviewer. Their interviews are like an ethical debate on hard mode, combined with an obstacle course of mind-f**ks..

This is interesting I haven't heard anyone talking about them being brutal before! Most people I've spoken with have liked it. I personally really enjoyed the MMI format because it was interesting to talk about something aside from the standard BS "why are you applying to DO school" nonsense questions. I always hated those questions where you have to word vomit some pre-prepared answer, versus actually talking out how you think about something (and I think that's the goal with their MMI format). I guess it's stressful thinking about what "the right answer is," but in reality people just want to see how you approach a problem, no matter what side you take. Maybe the interviewers you had were really off putting, but I guess everyone has their own opinion on what style of interviews they like.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You are rotating at Mercy Health System in Jopline as well as Freeman Health System. Freeman has a good amount of residences (IM, Peds, ENT, Surgery, etc) that have all reached either initial or pre accreditation to ACGME. I think this strong association with the school and the hospital will be a very good strength of KCU Joplin

Those are good rotations from what I have heard.

This is interesting I haven't heard anyone talking about them being brutal before! Most people I've spoken with have liked it. I personally really enjoyed the MMI format because it was interesting to talk about something aside from the standard BS "why are you applying to DO school" nonsense questions. I always hated those questions where you have to word vomit some pre-prepared answer, versus actually talking out how you think about something (and I think that's the goal with their MMI format). I guess it's stressful thinking about what "the right answer is," but in reality people just want to see how you approach a problem, no matter what side you take. Maybe the interviewers you had were really off putting, but I guess everyone has their own opinion on what style of interviews they like.

I didn't like it because the interview wasn't about getting to know you or what kind of doctor you'd be.

It was about testing your charisma, your wits, your improv abilities, and your ability to make sense of extremely confusing social scenarios under intense pressure. The scenarios had nothing to do with medicine. These were extremely complicated legal, ethical, philosophical, and social situations that I had zero experience with, presented by interviewers doing their best to screw with your sense of up, down, right, and wrong.

It's kind of like having to pretend to know the intricacies of maritime law while speaking with an interviewer who's half ignoring you and half pretending that they're a secret agent.

I'm not saying it's a bad interview process, only that it tests a VERY different skill set than any other interview. I had none of the skills required to pass this test. I probably never will.

I didn't like it because the interview wasn't about getting to know you or what kind of doctor you'd be.

It was about testing your charisma, your wits, your improv abilities, and your ability to make sense of extremely confusing social scenarios under intense pressure. The scenarios had nothing to do with medicine. These were extremely complicated legal, ethical, philosophical, and social situations that I had zero experience with, presented by interviewers doing their best to screw with your sense of up, down, right, and wrong.

It's kind of like having to pretend to know the intricacies of maritime law while speaking with an interviewer who's half ignoring you and half pretending that they're a secret agent.

I'm not saying it's a bad interview process, only that it tests a VERY different skill set than any other interview. I had none of the skills required to pass this test. I probably never will.

I had one section of the MMI that was a sit down interview talking about myself. Do they not do that at Marian anymore? If not that sucks I realize that my experience with Marian interviews is now over 4 years ago, and may be a little bit different.

Joplin has a lot going for it. The only problem for many is that, well, it's in Joplin.

Thats interesting everybody is talking about the elitist attitude and grueling MMI's at Marian. I'm a current 2nd year and everybody is super chill. The professors are so awesome and helpful and my classmates have been awesome, too. I haven't met a single "gunner" and everybody works really well together. In regards to the MMI, my experience was actually the opposite. I completely folded during my first MMI station because I was so nervous. But the interviewer was extremely patient and kind and it kinda set up a chill vibe for the rest of the day. Oh well, to each his own!

My mmi at marian was totally relaxed and friendly.