KCUMB Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm at KCUMB now. I interviewed in mid December and was accepted just before Christmas. If you get an interview, you do have a very high likelihood of being accepted (I'd say ~80%).

Members don't see this ad.

I'm at KCUMB now. I interviewed in mid December and was accepted just before Christmas. If you get an interview, you do have a very high likelihood of being accepted (I'd say ~80%).

I enjoyed my day at KCUMB. Too bad it was a big exam day for the students. It would have been nice to meet you.

Toytle we have the same interview date. I hope to see you there!

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyone know how family friendly this school is? Or what opportunities there are for those wanting to pursue a future in surgery? I know those may sound like polar opposite questions lol. Thanks for any input

Anyone know how family friendly this school is? Or what opportunities there are for those wanting to pursue a future in surgery? I know those may sound like polar opposite questions lol. Thanks for any input

I was told by a student ambassador that 15-20% of the incoming class was married and/or had kids.

I enjoyed my day at KCUMB. Too bad it was a big exam day for the students. It would have been nice to meet you.
I agree. It was too bad that it was a big exam day. Just kidding, it wasn't that bad. The weekend before was that bad, but the midterm itself was OK.

I actually finished around 11:30 and walked down to the student center and passed a group of about 7 or 8 interviewees crossing the street with a host. I was wondering if you were in that group but didn't think I should ask if any of the group was drgioiadds. My brain was quite drained from the midterm so I didn't come up with any other creative options. Then later (12:30) I followed a large group led by Brooke into CT. By that time my brain had shut down completely and I was on autopilot.

Anyway, I'm glad that day went well. I really do think we are a great school, but I know that pretty much everyone would say that about the school they attend. Hopefully you hear good news soon and then you'll get to make a choice.

I loved this school and my interview and day was great. It wasnt quite as much a family atmosphere like the smaller schools i interviewed at because it was a bigger class size. This school is my top choice now though and they are very specialty friendly and dont push primary care down your throat.

I just got an interview invite from KCUMB, and I have a question.
Is KCUMB known for sending out invites to numerous applicants?
What's the approx. acceptance rate post interview?
And also, this is a general question, but is November considered a little late for interviewing?
I'm working full time, and I can only sign up for those dates...
Sucks to be working and interviewing at the same time...ahh..

I am in the exact same situation as you. Interviewing 10/24 if anyone else is that day PM me.

I liked CT and the campus. I did not think the area was as bad as it was made out to be. I went to another school that was in a similar socioeconomic area as KCUMB and never had any issues. Its all about being smart.

I agree. It was too bad that it was a big exam day. Just kidding, it wasn't that bad. The weekend before was that bad, but the midterm itself was OK.

I actually finished around 11:30 and walked down to the student center and passed a group of about 7 or 8 interviewees crossing the street with a host. I was wondering if you were in that group but didn't think I should ask if any of the group was drgioiadds. My brain was quite drained from the midterm so I didn't come up with any other creative options. Then later (12:30) I followed a large group led by Brooke into CT. By that time my brain had shut down completely and I was on autopilot.

Anyway, I'm glad that day went well. I really do think we are a great school, but I know that pretty much everyone would say that about the school they attend. Hopefully you hear good news soon and then you'll get to make a choice.

I am in the exact same situation as you. Interviewing 10/24 if anyone else is that day PM me.
anytime before december is considered a great time to interview...and according to a student a few posts above this...the acceptance rate of interviewees is 80-90% so id say its more of a "its your spot to lose" type of interview...could be wrong though

anytime before december is considered a great time to interview...and according to a student a few posts above this...the acceptance rate of interviewees is 80-90% so id say its more of a "its your spot to lose" type of interview...could be wrong though

This is actually very true. The school tries not to send interview invitations to students that they are not heavily considering. It is true that the sooner you can get an interview, the better it is. However, if you don't hear from them immediately don't freak out. When I was applying to med school I didn't even send in my primary for KCUMB until February. (Mainly because I'd never heard of them.) If you have any concerns about your application, you can always contact the school and they will help you. They are actually one of the better schools in that respect. Good luck to all of you. If anyone has any questions, just shoot me a PM.

9/19ers....I know what you're thiiinkiiiiinggg!...I better send a mass text to all the mailmen telling them to watch out for herds of KCUMb interviewees in the next couple of days :laugh:....haha, jk, g'luck to all of you!

anxious for my own results which shouldn't come at least for another week and a half :scared: (interviewed 9/28)...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am interviwing here on Oct 5 and was wondering if there is anything special to know about KCUMB for the interviews? Will they expect me to know a lot about the school? Any advice about the interview is appreciated. Thank you.

I don't think the expect you to now about the school, but they do expect you to know a little about osteopathic medicine. Like the background.

Hi all,

I am interviwing here on Oct 5 and was wondering if there is anything special to know about KCUMB for the interviews? Will they expect me to know a lot about the school? Any advice about the interview is appreciated. Thank you.

Well, you should know enough to be able to explain why you prefer KCUMB...that's basically how I went about it...this shouldn't be too hard though because they actually have some unique qualities, like being able to choose between a traditional curriculum and a system-based curriculum (Genesis), as well as early patient interaction through the Score1 program, and well established service opportunities. If you take a quick look at their website you'll be able to find info on these things....good luck!

Just to clarify - you can't chose between traditional and systems based curriculum. KCUMB is only systems based (which they call Genesis)

Just got my interview invite. I already have plane tickets for thanksgiving, so i scheduled the interview for Nov 30th...is this too far in the cycle? Really looking forward to seeing this school in person, it looks like a great place. I'll still have to squeeze in genetics though before matriculation.

also, how is anatomy at KCUMB taught? I am looking at the curriculum on their website, and don't see a specific anatomy course. Is it taught on a systems based level?

just received my acceptance in the mail. WOO! I must have been friggin amazing becauses it was for the entering class of 2011. Lol. Probably a typo. Just so people know, I interviewed 9/19 and live in Des Moines, which is probably a one day ship from KC, so all the people who interviewed 9/19, expect something in the next couple days.

Yaa congrats!! It's only been 3.5 days since I interviewed... this wait is horrible!! But I'm glad DMU sends the decision so quickly... I think they understand how much we are fretting over this, haha.

Hope I'll be joining you in the acceptance list Stok. ;)

Hey all,
I just scheduled an interview at KCUMB for Oct. 24th. Are any other SDN-ers going to be there that day? I put in a request to stay with a student host. Hopefully there are no ax murderers at KCUMB! What's everyone else doing for living arrangements? I rented a car, I figured that in a city that big (and that spread out) that a taxi would probably cost just as much as a rental for two days. If anybody needs a ride to the interview, let me know!

Hey all,
I just scheduled an interview at KCUMB for Oct. 24th. Are any other SDN-ers going to be there that day? I put in a request to stay with a student host. Hopefully there are no ax murderers at KCUMB! What's everyone else doing for living arrangements? I rented a car, I figured that in a city that big (and that spread out) that a taxi would probably cost just as much as a rental for two days. If anybody needs a ride to the interview, let me know!

Bryana- I will be interviewing that day as well. I got a hotel at the Q

Anyone know which hotel is better?

Anatomy is taught in a systems based manner - right through the year. We are in musculoskeletal right now so we did back, shoulder, arms, chest and are now starting lower extremity. This section is very anatomy intensive. My understanding is that subsequent sections (eg. cardiovascular, GI and renal) are less anatomically intensive, but I guess I'll find that out for sure over the next 6 months.

Anatomy is taught in a systems based manner - right through the year. We are in musculoskeletal right now so we did back, shoulder, arms, chest and are now starting lower extremity. This section is very anatomy intensive. My understanding is that subsequent sections (eg. cardiovascular, GI and renal) are less anatomically intensive, but I guess I'll find that out for sure over the next 6 months.

Thanks for the info, this is what I was hoping for. I'm really excited about this school

Just to clarify - you can't chose between traditional and systems based curriculum. KCUMB is only systems based (which they call Genesis)

oh...well, I guess I got the wrong impression from my student ambassador on interview day! interesting...

just received my acceptance in the mail. WOO! I must have been friggin amazing becauses it was for the entering class of 2011. Lol. Probably a typo. Just so people know, I interviewed 9/19 and live in Des Moines, which is probably a one day ship from KC, so all the people who interviewed 9/19, expect something in the next couple days.

congrats bro...so are you gonna give this spot to me since you are $500 in the hole with DMU? haha, jk......no pressure. :D

Do most people end up holding spots at multiple schools? Seems like that could get really expensive.

congrats bro...so are you gonna give this spot to me since you are $500 in the hole with DMU? haha, jk......no pressure. :D

Haha. Yep. I would say probably, but I am going to DMU. I wanted to see if I would get another acceptance, and I did. I am happy. Now I hope this spot goes to someone who really wants to go to KCUMB.

Hey did you guys get a confirmation email after you booked your interview date? I can't seem to find a confirmation email :S i'm like 99% sure my interview is Oct 5 haha

Haha. Yep. I would say probably, but I am going to DMU. I wanted to see if I would get another acceptance, and I did. I am happy. Now I hope this spot goes to someone who really wants to go to KCUMB.

O RLY? and I don't? :(

j/k :laugh:...def happy for ya man, and I do hope for just as much as you wanted to go to DMU, there's someone out there with the same desire for KCUMB and gets an acceptance....it truly is an amazing experience and a huge blessing!

Hey did you guys get a confirmation email after you booked your interview date? I can't seem to find a confirmation email :S i'm like 99% sure my interview is Oct 5 haha

Yes I got a confirmation email.

I got one right after I scheduled my interview (like a few minutes after), but not anytime after that. I know some schools send one out right before the interview, but I don't think that was the case for me with KCUMB....

if you got a confirmation e-mail right after you scheduled it, then you should be fine....I also wondered the same thing and was like 'man, am I gonna be the only one?' haha

I just checked again and didn't get anything. but i know i scheduled it since when i log in it says that i've completed the interview registration form... i really hope they open at 9am tomorrow morning, because my flight is soon after that haha

I just checked again and didn't get anything. but i know i scheduled it since when i log in it says that i've completed the interview registration form... i really hope they open at 9am tomorrow morning, because my flight is soon after that haha

in case you decide to check again, the title of the e-mail is "KCUMB Interview Registration - 'last name'" (it doesn't say 'confirmation' in the title in case you were looking for that)

also, sometimes these e-mails can end up in spam, so if you don't delete your spam regularly, you should check that.

that's all I got...I hope they're open tomorrow too cuz I'm painfully waitin on a decision here hellooooo!!

found it! it was in the trash for some reason :S:S crisis averted! :laugh:

Anyone else interviewing Oct 14th?

man I wish my interviews next week were this week so I can stay busy until KCUMB gets back to me with a decision next week...anybody call/e-mail to see when decisions will be made for those who interviewed the week of 9/26? I know they said 2 weeks, but who says they haven't decided to overachieve just for us? :D

man this wait is aggravating....

did anyone slip up/stumble during the interview and still get an acceptance? Sighhhh.....I slipped up/stumbled some during my interview, so I'm not sure what is going to happen :confused:

You're only human they don't want perfection they just want to know you as a person. They don't want robot answers, thinking about an answer or giving a sub-par one does not mean a rejection. Don't worry, just learn from your interview and hope for the best.

did anyone slip up/stumble during the interview and still get an acceptance? Sighhhh.....I slipped up/stumbled some during my interview, so I'm not sure what is going to happen :confused:

I am worried, too, grand lighting. I interviewed last week and felt that I said some things that did not come off the way I wanted. I didn't feel like myself. Mostly because this was actually a school I wanted to go to, so I might have sounded too anxious to the point of sounding fake about how much I wanted to go there if that makes sense.

I am worried, too, grand lighting. I interviewed last week and felt that I said some things that did not come off the way I wanted. I didn't feel like myself. Mostly because this was actually a school I wanted to go to, so I might have sounded too anxious to the point of sounding fake about how much I wanted to go there if that makes sense.

Wow, we both got the same experience. Sighh, I'm only human :xf:

Hey guys does this school have a dissection based anatomy course or is it prosection?

I have an interview set up for October 12th!! Soooo excited! I rented a car and will be staying with my fiancee's cousin the first night and then sleeping at the airport the second night cause I have an early flight. Also.... I'll be playing disc golf after my interview so if anybody wants to go holla at me!! I have to burn like 6 hours between interviewing and returning my rental car.
Any advice for me going into this interview?

Love disc golf!! Good luck with your interview.

Interviewed here last Friday..Loved the school..:love:

My first interview here next week. Any suggestions?