Keck-USC Class of 2008!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
*ping*..i can hear a pin drop...this thread is too quiet for me...of course, i'm used to seeing a new message appear every hour at least thanks to the waitlist thread....
where did everyone goooooooooooooooooooo?????????

okay, i guess i'm going to usc by myself.....for now...until my fellow waitlist threadees get in...

oh, and since i haven't heard a peep about the price is right being organized, i am now officially going to do it...i wonder if there's any way to email all incoming first years and ask if they want to do it? usc representin'!!!! and other med schools too.......

Members don't see this ad.

no...one...is...reading...this...thread.....
i
am
sad :(

Don't be sad Camstah. I just think that everyone is out enjoying their summers and so they aren't spending too much time on SDN (unlike me stuck at work :( , but not for much longer :clap: )

Members don't see this ad :)
snowbear said:
Don't be sad Camstah. I just think that everyone is out enjoying their summers and so they aren't spending too much time on SDN (unlike me stuck at work :( , but not for much longer :clap: )

yeah, i guess so...but it sucks that now that i can post in this thread, everyone's gone :)
well, i guess i'll go out and enjoy my summer too....but i was hoping more keck people would start posting.....it'd be cool if someone could send a link to this thread to everyone accepted, like they did with the penn state thread...then people who don't even know about sdn could come on here and post..........

oh, and the ucla people seem so chatty on their thread...ours is soooo dead.......

Does anybody know what Keck's weekly lecture schedule is like? (for example: M/W lecture 9-12, T/Th lecture 12-4). Sorry if this has been posted before--if you can reply with the link, that would be great. Thanks!

camstah said:
oh, and the ucla people seem so chatty on their thread...ours is soooo dead.......

what?? ours is horrible!

busybee1 said:
Does anybody know what Keck's weekly lecture schedule is like? (for example: M/W lecture 9-12, T/Th lecture 12-4). Sorry if this has been posted before--if you can reply with the link, that would be great. Thanks!

Actual class. (70% lecture, 30% in MDL) MWRF 8-12 Tuesday 1-4
ICM Tuesday 8:30-12 every week, one out of every 3 weeks thursday 1-4
Touchie feelie stuff, every monday 1-3.

camstah said:
yeah, i guess so...but it sucks that now that i can post in this thread, everyone's gone :)
well, i guess i'll go out and enjoy my summer too....but i was hoping more keck people would start posting.....it'd be cool if someone could send a link to this thread to everyone accepted, like they did with the penn state thread...then people who don't even know about sdn could come on here and post..........

hey camstah!

we're here, there's just not much news as of late..i was wondering when everyone will be moving into their new places in LA? I have been told it's best to come around 2 or 1.5 weeks before class starts...

hey, i was wondering if we were suppose to send a transcript to usc, they never asked me for one, seems very strange

norouz1383!!! said:
hey, i was wondering if we were suppose to send a transcript to usc, they never asked me for one, seems very strange

how funny, i just assumed we should...haven't done it though...anyone else know?

people are finally posting again :)

Jalby said:
Actual class. (70% lecture, 30% in MDL) MWRF 8-12 Tuesday 1-4
ICM Tuesday 8:30-12 every week, one out of every 3 weeks thursday 1-4
Touchie feelie stuff, every monday 1-3.

so does that mean that the one out of every three weeks the class isn't on tuesday but instead on thursday?

so that's 29 hours of class a week? i think i'll like wednesdays and fridays...

camstah said:
so what happened to the price is right trip? is it still on?

Hey everyone.. been offline for a few days with the move and all- I'm in Alhambra now, and I've got 10 tickets to the Price is Right on Thursday July 22. Let me know who wants to go- first come, first served!

Members don't see this ad :)
jeremyh42 said:
Hey everyone.. been offline for a few days with the move and all- I'm in Alhambra now, and I've got 10 tickets to the Price is Right on Thursday July 22. Let me know who wants to go- first come, first served!

woo hoo!! i'm in...do you want me to get 10 more tix, so that people can bring sig others?

jeremyh42 said:

Hey Jeremy, how do you like Alhambra so far? I will be down at the end of this week looking for places and I am trying to get an idea of the different areas. I am pretty much only familiar with Pasadena and Monterey Hills.

I wish I could go to the Price is Right with you guys, but I will be out of town. Have fun and win some cool stuff :luck:

I'm kicking myself for not asking this earlier ... but anyone know what the grading system is like for M! and 2?

It's pass fail with year and tests.

Anybody need to buy a washer and drier?? I'm selling mine for 50$ each. Most place in Monterrey Hills have hookups for them.

I withdrew a while ago, but I got my parking permit in the mail today. Note to others: parking needs to be notified separately, I guess.

You could probably sell that for a profit right now.

patzan said:
I withdrew a while ago, but I got my parking permit in the mail today. Note to others: parking needs to be notified separately, I guess.

im pretty certain that you can get a refund. just mail or walk in the permit and you will get credited.

Jalby said:
You could probably sell that for a profit right now.

yeah, and if it's the right lot i'd pay you for it..........at a pretty decent profit....

I didn't pay for it, though. I think it was just billed to my student acct. I'll have to double check though.

snowbear said:
Hey Jeremy, how do you like Alhambra so far? I will be down at the end of this week looking for places and I am trying to get an idea of the different areas. I am pretty much only familiar with Pasadena and Monterey Hills.

I wish I could go to the Price is Right with you guys, but I will be out of town. Have fun and win some cool stuff :luck:

Alhambra is pretty cool so far- there seems to be everything I need within a small radius, and it's easy to get to campus and the I-10. I especially like having the In-n-out burger right up the street!

did i just have a freak experience or did anyone else find that permit reissuance event ridiculously inefficient and poorly designed??

not to mention the issues i had finding a functioning computer that would connect to the internet that morning... when i tried to order the permit i got a series of "page could not load" messages because of the sheer volume of people trying to access that site all at once... which culminated in a big old error message mentioning some issue with my billing address?!?!?!

well i did all that i could and called the next day to confirm that somehow and someway they got my order... and they said oh yeah its here lot 71 no problem...

so i check today after hearing that patzan got a permit in the mail... and my order has officially disappeared... poof into thin air... i went back to that damned permit store website... where my order had been in progress for the past few months... and all of a sudden today it says no current permits and no completed orders... so i called the office and they're like oh yeah you're going to have to talk to the manager because nothing is showing up...

so the headache continues... as if this whole process wasn't stressful enough!

Since I've had some good luck selling my washer and dryer, I also have a extremely nice dining room table set with leather (I think) chairs and a glass table. I got it for 300$ three years ago and it is still in perfect shape. I'll try to get a picture of it online soon, but is anybody interested for 200$?? It's extremely nice (if I didn't mention that before)

I also have two TV stands I need to get ride off. 20$ each. Those I have pictures of and can put up on a website.

I got my permit in the mail just now. I found it interesting that it isn't valid until August 18. What am I supposed to do for the first week of classes and the barbecue and stuff like that?!

:confused:

Oh, and regarding the Price is Right on July 22. Definitely count me in. Hopefully I will have just made the big move to LA by then.

:D

That sux mickerbocker! How lame. They better set you up with a permit for Lot 71, they have to 'cuz they said so on the phone.

I think the permit starts on August 19th because it is coordinated with the undergrad campus. The mailing said something about how our permit will end before school ends and so we will need to purchase short-term parking. How lame :rolleyes:

On another note...Guess what guys? My last day of work is tomorrow! Yay :clap:

And then July is going to rock :) I am going to be busy traveling so I will probably be out of the loop for a while. Well have an awesome last month of summer and I'll talk to you guys again at the end of July/ beginning of August.

snowbear said:
On another note...Guess what guys? My last day of work is tomorrow! Yay :clap:

And then July is going to rock :) I am going to be busy traveling so I will probably be out of the loop for a while. Well have an awesome last month of summer and I'll talk to you guys again at the end of July/ beginning of August.

yay snowbear!! i've got three more weeks myself....
have a good time on your month long vacation.....that sounds like fun :)

well i wasn't satisfied after leaving a voicemail... so i eamiled tom kenna whose email was listed at the go-to-guy for help on the HSC transportation page and explained my plight... he emailed me right back and said that he hoped to confirm a lot 71 permit for me by thursday... wasn't that awesome of him?! so hopefully its not that big of a deal...
my last day of work is next wednesday... yippee!! hopefully i'll get one good day of sunshine at the beach before i have to say goodbye to san diego!

where are all of these lots anyway? i've been looking for them on the map on the parking page, but they're not named the same way...which lot is lot 71? which is the ssp lot? i don't get it...am i looking at the wrong map?

I spent a half hour trying to find where the SSP lot is the other day. I'll be seeing you there camstah since I got mine late too. I don't think its on the map thats available on the permit map. I think its located near the university hospital on San Pablo between alcazar and valley

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?e...sz=Los+Angeles+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Its probably near lambie street. Doesnt seem too bad of a walk.

camstah said:
where are all of these lots anyway? i've been looking for them on the map on the parking page, but they're not named the same way...which lot is lot 71? which is the ssp lot? i don't get it...am i looking at the wrong map?

Tritonslo said:
I spent a half hour trying to find where the SSP lot is the other day. I'll be seeing you there camstah since I got mine late too. I don't think its on the map thats available on the permit map. I think its located near the university hospital on San Pablo between alcazar and valley

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?e...sz=Los+Angeles+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Its probably near lambie street. Doesnt seem too bad of a walk.

ooh...that's a bit of a walk isn't it? i guess it's good exercise...yes, i'll be seeing you there :) thanks for the map....
is lot 71 closer or as far as ssp? you'd think they'd put these lots on the permit map...

I thought it was a bit of a walk too but then I realized that the school of medicine is not actually the USC medical center that's in white on the map. Where we have to be each morning is directly across from hazard park, so its actually only a block and a half away. Lot 71 is at the corner of zonal and mission(well, its a little bit up zonal). I'm pretty sure lot 71 correlates to the "zonal lot" designated on the usc parking map. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

camstah said:
ooh...that's a bit of a walk isn't it? i guess it's good exercise...yes, i'll be seeing you there :) thanks for the map....
is lot 71 closer or as far as ssp? you'd think they'd put these lots on the permit map...

It's the same distance. The reason ssp isn't on the map is because it only opened 8 months or so ago.

Tritonslo said:
I thought it was a bit of a walk too but then I realized that the school of medicine is not actually the USC medical center that's in white on the map. Where we have to be each morning is directly across from hazard park, so its actually only a block and a half away. Lot 71 is at the corner of zonal and mission(well, its a little bit up zonal). I'm pretty sure lot 71 correlates to the "zonal lot" designated on the usc parking map. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

awesome, thanks......that's not really far at all...... :)

Jalby said:
It's the same distance. The reason ssp isn't on the map is because it only opened 8 months or so ago.

is there a reason people prefer the other lot to ssp then? it sold out before ssp.....

edit: since you said it only opened 8 months ago, i'm going to assume it's because people don't really know about it yet?

It's because 71 is closer to the other things that are not the medical school (county, rads, etc, etc.

Hey Camstah, I've been following your waitlist saga. I can't find your post that details when you actually got in. When did you get in?

shoneek said:
Hey Camstah, I've been following your waitlist saga. I can't find your post that details when you actually got in. When did you get in?

hey shoneek..i got in around the middle of june....i think it was the 15th or so? it's all posted in the usc waitlist thread...even the (appropriate) climactic ending.......so much drama....sigh.......but so worth it.... :love: usc

white coat isn't until end of august...i thought it'd be during orientation....but after seeing the white coat thread, i guess it's common to not have it first...

July 1, 2004

Staff of the Keck School of Medicine of USC

Dear Colleagues:

Today marks my first day as the dean of the Keck School of Medicine of USC, a role I am undertaking with enthusiasm and optimism.

This morning we held a meeting of the Keck School Board of Overseers at the Zilkha Neurogenetic Institute. The Overseers continue to be an important group of advisors to the school. At the meeting President Sample expressed his enthusiasm for moving forward with campus expansion and other plans such as the development of a biomedical research park. I value the support of the President, Provost and university leadership as we move forward.

The Keck School is in an enviable position. Thanks to Steve Ryan, we are well under way in our transformation of the physical campus with the addition of four new buildings that are either under construction or completed, and plans for additional new facilities. We have overhauled our curriculum, to great success. We have grown*and continue to grow*our science research programs, garnering increases in federal funding that have met our goals. And Ryan has left us a strong plan and vision for the school, which I will continue to pursue.

As I consider my plan for my first 100 days as dean, much of the work I see ahead involves moving forward with these existing programs and projects. While much will remain the same, you will also note some administrative changes over the next few months. Some of those changes are reflected on the draft of our new organizational chart, which you will soon be receiving. Chief among these changes is the academic appointment of Jeffry Huffman, who has been named Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs.

One of my first priorities as dean of the Keck School of Medicine will be focusing on developing a new strategic plan for our school’s clinical mission. This plan will be shaped by a strategic planning group, headed by Huffman, and will include the members of what will now be called the Dean’s Advisory Committee: Roberta Williams (chair), Ed Crandall, Tom DeMeester, Zach Hall, Jeff Huffman, Peter Jones, Ron Ross, Ron Smith, Vaughn Starnes and Clive Taylor. This team will work in close collaboration with Department Chairs and interested faculty members on a number of issues.

For instance, this group will be responsible for leading the planning for the opening of the LAC+USC Medical Center replacement facility, which is scheduled to begin operating in 2007. The new facility will require a shift in focus, with a large increase in the number of emergency room and trauma beds. This change is going to have an impact on our residency programs, the hospital’s staffing requirements, and our teaching here at the Keck School. As yet, we don’t yet have a clear plan for this major shift. That will be part of the strategic planning group’s charge*to figure out how we will staff the new replacement facility, and what changes we need to make in our hospital affiliations and educational programs to fit with these changing parameters.

In addition, we need to begin planning for the eventual move of the USC/Norris Hospital beds to the new Norris Tower addition to USC University Hospital. My primary objective during this move will be to maintain the spirit of the Norris, which has been such a vital part of this school for two decades now, and which exemplifies the very best in patient care.

The team also will work on strategic plans for our ongoing and mutually beneficial relationship with Tenet Healthcare, and consider the best ways to manage our private practice. They will look at how we can optimize our ongoing and ever-growing connections with Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. And they will consider the best and most useful methods by which we can strengthen our clinical research programs.

As a research scientist with a number of ongoing grants myself, I am committed to the Keck School’s ongoing pursuit of basic and translational research, bringing clinical findings from bench to bedside. It is my belief that this process requires a strong, broad-based basic research foundation upon which we can build.

Key to this plan will be the creation of a new clinical research support office. Zach Hall and Jeff Huffman will work with clinical scientists throughout the Keck School to determine what is needed to strengthen our scientific and research programs in the clinical sciences.

As we develop new research space, we also will continue to consider the reallocation of existing space in accordance with the faculty’s changing needs. We need to support our current scientists, to continue to push to recruit the finest basic and clinical scientists in the nation, and to mentor those junior faculty who are already here. Finally, we need to make sure that our clinical and research endeavors grow together in a way that allows them to best complement one another.

Another critical area of focus in my first 100 days will be to move forward on the planned research buildings and the planning for the BioMedical Park in conjunction with the County of Los Angeles. President Sample has renewed his commitment to moving this project forward, and Supervisor Gloria Molina also has indicated her strong support.

I will be traveling for part of this first 100 days. I am looking forward to the time to reflect on the opportunities ahead of us and how we can make the most of them.

I am, of course, open to and interested in any comments you might have during this early phase, and as we move forward. I can be reached through a new email address: [email protected], or by contacting Elizabeth (Betty) Smith, senior administrator, at (323) 442-1900 or [email protected].

Sincerely,

Brian E. Henderson, M.D.
Dean, Keck School of Medicine of USC
Kenneth T. Norris Jr. Chair in Cancer Prevention

I know this isn't on the previous post...but I was wondering if anyone of you would want to split the cost of westsiderentals and help a fellow Trojan out?? Or is there a better way/search engine for apartments in the area?? I was planning on looking for an apartment at the end of this month. Is that enough time??!

So I guess I can finally post on this thread. Got my call from Dr. Quinn about 30 minutes ago.

You guys feel like making a FAQ for noobs like me :D

So excited about seeing all of you come August!

jdc5 said:
So I guess I can finally post on this thread. Got my call from Dr. Quinn about 30 minutes ago.

You guys feel like making a FAQ for noobs like me :D

So excited about seeing all of you come August!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's sooooo awesome........ :D i knew you'd make it off the waitlist...!!!!!!!!!

biophiliac1 said:
I know this isn't on the previous post...but I was wondering if anyone of you would want to split the cost of westsiderentals and help a fellow Trojan out?? Or is there a better way/search engine for apartments in the area?? I was planning on looking for an apartment at the end of this month. Is that enough time??!

hey biophiliac....nice to meet another keck-er.......
did you look at the housing ad sheet that was sent to everyone with the most recent packet? there are a ton of people looking for roommates, and some people putting their apts on there......if you're looking for a place of your own, someone posted a number earlier in this thread you may try calling...and it depends on where you want to live, but westside rentals is cool (ask jalby about that)....

camstah said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's sooooo awesome........ :D i knew you'd make it off the waitlist...!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Camstah!
It was a long wait, but just makes it all the more worthwhile. :D

Got a fridge for sale now. Anybody interested??? It's extremely nice. I donno how much I am going to sell it for yet. And I'll get the demensions of it soon. Off to a party.