Keep EMT-B cert in med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TickTock719

obviously procrastinating
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been an EMT-B for 7 years, 911 response, and am currently a first-year med student. My cert expires at the end of 2011, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to renew?

Obviously I'm learning far more in medical school, but I've got some sentimental attachment. Also, it will only take me 24 hrs more of continuing education to renew and I'm good for another 5 years, when I'll be well into my residency. I figure at best it will be a tiny asterisk on a residency app, but on the other hand, it's only a weekend course.

Any docs or med students care to weigh in?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're going to continue to use it.
or plan to work in emergency medicine, ems medical direction, or disaster medicine in the future.
I know several docs and pa's who still have their ems credentials on their id's for "street cred".

Members don't see this ad :)
Some states will accept med school credits as cont ed courses, or so I've heard. Doesn't get you out of the refresher though...

I don't know if the registry offers the option to go inactive with EMT-Basic as you can do with National Registry Paramedic, but when I renewed my card in my 1st year, and switched my status to inactive, all I had to do was show up and take the written test. It was pretty painless. You might check to see if that's an option. If not, oh well; if so, I just saved you a weekend!

I haven't worked as a medic since I started med school, and I let my state cards lapse; but as long as the registry makes it easy to keep my card current, I probably will keep doing it. Yeah, it's mostly pride, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of your years on the ambulance. If it helps my street cred, or means I can wring $150 out of poor paramedic students for my textbook someday (Look at all his letters! He must know what he's talking about!), so much the better! :smuggrin:

Some states will accept med school credits as cont ed courses, or so I've heard. Doesn't get you out of the refresher though...

I don't know if the registry offers the option to go inactive with EMT-Basic as you can do with National Registry Paramedic, but when I renewed my card in my 1st year, and switched my status to inactive, all I had to do was show up and take the written test. It was pretty painless. You might check to see if that's an option. If not, oh well; if so, I just saved you a weekend!

I haven't worked as a medic since I started med school, and I let my state cards lapse; but as long as the registry makes it easy to keep my card current, I probably will keep doing it. Yeah, it's mostly pride, but I don't think there's anything wrong with being proud of your years on the ambulance. If it helps my street cred, or means I can wring $150 out of poor paramedic students for my textbook someday (Look at all his letters! He must know what he's talking about!), so much the better! :smuggrin:

Some states simply require you to hold an active NREMT cert. (a la Ohio). So in my case I don't have to keep up with con ed, I can simply challenge the test then have my director sign off on skills and I'm good for another 3.

Some states simply require you to hold an active NREMT cert. (a la Ohio). So in my case I don't have to keep up with con ed, I can simply challenge the test then have my director sign off on skills and I'm good for another 3.

FWIW, Ohio doesnt require you to keep your NR cert, but if you do, you don't need to prove your continuing ed to the state, just show them your active NREMT cert.

To the op, I haven't decided about my medic card, I've also not decided about my peace officer certification. I figure I have several years to figure it out, but I'm leaning towards keeping them both if possible. I worked hard to get all of my certs, no reason to let them die now.

I'm going to keep my state paramedic license. All I have to do is pay the fee every year so I'm just going to do that. I let my NR lapse this year because I didn't feel like taking the refresher class etc etc. I understand the sentimental attachment and feel the same way.