Keith Olbermann's comments on D.O.'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've posted a similar comment in the "Make your views known..." thread, but I think it's important to reiterate it here:

I get the strong feeling that if we had an "M" somewhere in our designation, we would not have to spend our valuable time writing letters to the media every time they make a mistake.

The public automatically interprets "M" as physician, so instead of always having to verbally explain how DOs and MDs are legally equivalent, why not let the letters speak for themselves? Personally, I think "MDO" sums us up nicely and would prevent these types of problems.

Dr T: "Hi, I'm Dr T, what seems to be the trouble today?"
Patient: "Well Doc.. hey wait a minute, what the hell is an MDO?! I want a REAL doctor!"
Dr T: "Shutup foo! I am a doctor!"

I say leave it as is and continue expanding until everyone and their sloth that they have tied up in the basement know what a DO is, or allow usage of MD,DO (or DO,MD whatever floats your boat) to signify that you are a US trained doctor of osteopathic medicine (this would also allow people to discern between "osteopaths" and "doctors of osteopathic medicine"). It also wouldn't require explanation of yet another new set of initials, and it doesn't involve "losing our identity".

Now back to the expanding part. When I say expanding I don't mean just building McSchools. "Expanding" should encompass residencies and the such EVERYWHERE in the country, not just the states whose highest point could easily be leaped over. Where is the west coast residency love?

Members don't see this ad.

But regardless, Olbermann's comments were totally out of line when he threw in his snide "osteopaths" comments.

I'm taking a different approach... I'm recommending Dr. Sophy to file a lawsuit against Olbermann for defamation and slander. To accuse someone of not holding an actual medical license is a pretty serious charge. This isn't "Dr." Phil we're talking about.

[email protected]

I guarantee Olbermann and company would respond to getting sued. This is the kind of exposure that would do wonders in educating the rest of the public. It'd certainly be in Sophy's best interests to do so, considering he's an LA (read Hollywood) area psychiatrist.

Haha, I just realized how funny it is that this all links back to Paris Hilton, of all people. Who ever would have thought that she would have stirred up controversy in the osteopathic medical profession?

Members don't see this ad :)
The radar article bashed doctor Sophy but, while doing so explained what a D.O. is in the process. I thought it did a half decent job explaing what a D.O. was and how it is different from an MD. Olberman on the other hand didn't even bother with that.

The part I really don't like about the explanation is they said DOs don't pay attention to specific symptoms. I'm pretty sure we do..

The part I really don't like about the explanation is they said DOs don't pay attention to specific symptoms. I'm pretty sure we do..

Not me - sometimes I get so busy treating the whole person, I can't even find the disease... :rolleyes:

:laugh:

Yeah, that line is pretty ridiculous.

jd

Is it just me that is offended with the "alternative medicine" description. I have always viewed Osteopathic Medicine as traditional medicine (Meds and Surgery privileges) with an extra understanding and emphasis in preventative medicine, manipulation, and the musculoskeletal system. When I think of alternative medicine I acquate it to some of the more questionable forms of treatment (acupunture..etc), which I feel the public does as well. I think that all adds to the misperceptions.

That is why I said they did a half decent job. I had the same complaint. Was their any sort of responce from Kieth? I don't have cable and will need to be informed.

Haha, I just realized how funny it is that this all links back to Paris Hilton, of all people. Who ever would have thought that she would have stirred up controversy in the osteopathic medical profession?

Paris Hilton stirs up stuff for me. ;)

has anyone received a reply?

Paris Hilton stirs up stuff for me. ;)

Welcome back JP. Hopefully you will be able to be honest and direct and still stay active (Honesty isn't a violation of your probationary status is it?)

For what it's worth, I'm firing off an email to Olbermann and one to Bill O'Reilly just for fun.

Yah, but some schools websites still say erroneous things like DOs focus on treating the whole person instead of the symptoms/disease... so how can we fault the article when our own leaders claim this BS?

Yah, but some schools websites still say erroneous things like DOs focus on treating the whole person instead of the symptoms/disease... so how can we fault the article when our own leaders claim this BS?

I am just curious which schools websites say this? (to lazy to check myself)

Members don't see this ad :)
Welcome back JP. Hopefully you will be able to be honest and direct and still stay active (Honesty isn't a violation of your probationary status is it?)

So long as he doesn't keep coming across like a pompous jerk...

Is it just me that is offended with the "alternative medicine" description. I have always viewed Osteopathic Medicine as traditional medicine (Meds and Surgery privileges) with an extra understanding and emphasis in preventative medicine, manipulation, and the musculoskeletal system. When I think of alternative medicine I acquate it to some of the more questionable forms of treatment (acupunture..etc), which I feel the public does as well. I think that all adds to the misperceptions.

EXACTLY! I sent an email off as well. If we don't respond to occurences such as these, the misconceptions among the public will only continue.

So much for a retraction. I did like his theory on how the 7th Harry Potter book will end though!

Good night and good luck, folks.

did anyone hear anything from the AOA form sending this story to them?
They usually jump all over this stuff:confused:

Yeah, no retraction, and no reply.

If the show does end up doing a retraction it will probably happen like a month later, when everyone already forgot what happened and so nobody would really care:laugh:

If the show does end up doing a retraction it will probably happen like a month later, when everyone already forgot what happened and so nobody would really care:laugh:

Hardly anyones cares to begin with.

I saw the segment. After two Coors beers and some careful consideration. It appeared that Keith Olberman was primarily targeting Paris Hilton and her less than forthcoming nature. However, what he really succeded in doing was proving that he has no idea in hell what he's talking about. I sincerely feel like litigation is in order by the AOA for slander. If Rev. Al Sharpton can retaliate against Don Imus (both of which are idiots themselves) for saying "nappy headed hoes" then a suit is in order here w/ Keith Olberman. This has the potential for much more serious consequences to say the least.

After finishing second Coors beer I would like to say that Keith Olberman is a ***** and a prick and if I ever saw him in public I'd like to smack the **** out of him!

I saw the segment. After two Coors beers and some careful consideration. It appeared that Keith Olberman was primarily targeting Paris Hilton and her less than forthcoming nature. However, what he really succeded in doing was proving that he has no idea in hell what he's talking about. I sincerely feel like litigation is in order by the AOA for slander. If Rev. Al Sharpton can retaliate against Don Imus (both of which are idiots themselves) for saying "nappy headed hoes" then a suit is in order here w/ Keith Olberman. This has the potential for much more serious consequences to say the least.

After finishing second Coors beer I would like to say that Keith Olberman is a ***** and a prick and if I ever saw him in public I'd like to smack the **** out of him!

I really liked Olbermann when he was doing sportscenter but not with this crap on MSNBC with his beef with rival crap newsman Billy O'Really. Anderson Cooper rules them both...he freakin knew who the mole was the whole time!

did anyone hear anything from the AOA form sending this story to them?
They usually jump all over this stuff:confused:

If you read the updated radaronline article, they cite an AOA representative - so I would imagine that the AOA at least reached out to radaronline and Olbermann.

I'm a dentist, and I saw the Friday Countdown with Olberman and wrote to him. Quick line or two educating him on the different titles and the fact DO's can still specialize and become board-certified in most if not all areas of Medicine.

Of course, I did finish with stating that no matter what the degree and the number of treating doctors, there is still no cure for Paris' Social ******ation.

Hey guys,

In addition to writing to MSNBC, who might not do a thing about it, we can also give a call to other network news companies(including local). I know they each have a hotline and fax number that accepts news leads. I could see a competing news network jumping all over this in attempt to be the "accurate" news sources. This also makes for good news. In fact I think this may be the only way for this issue to see the light of day. If the competing news agencies are smart they would exploit this, especially ABC and Fox. I am faxing my local news as we speak. This could actually be the best thing to happen to the profession of Osteopathic Medicine in a long time, if it is handled right. :idea:

In a way it's somewhat of a boost to the profession that a high profile family, like the Hiltons, uses the services of a DO when they can afford (aka bribe) any physician they want.

Oh jeebus... Imus was not racist. It was a VERY overblown reaction to a bad joke. If you'd listened to the actual broadcast you would know there was no malicious intent. Don Imus is a comedian, talking in the context of a comedic show. Jesse Jackson and Alfred Sharpton are just TV-mongering idiots looking for any excuse to get their faces in front of a camera and the American public in order to push their own racist agenda.
Don't believe me? Look up the Tawana Brawley case. Also, what about what Al Sharpton said a month or so ago about Mitt Romney and the Mormon church, or his stance on the Duke Lacrosse "controversy." I think Al Sharpton needs to be fired for his actions. He never did pay the damages levied against him in the Tawana Brawley case, for your information. Funny how he doesn't get hung out to dry over these things, but if a WHITE person were to say something like that, they'd be strung up from the rafters... Racist much?

I'm not demanding for Olbermann to be fired, I'm just asking for a correction of his statements.

Besides, several BLACK comedians have also made the exact same comments about the Rutgers basketball team and Al Sharpton has not been crying for blood in their cases. Oh yeah, they're the right color to make remarks like that, right? Freedom of speech depends on your skin color and sexual orientation now... Welcome to the United States of America!

jd

I'm glad someone finally set the record straight. :thumbup:

OK Guys,

This forum should be about the attack made by Olberman on Osteopathic Medicine, not Don Imus. If you wan't myu opinion the two are only related by the fact that two media figures were irresponsible and need to check their tongues. While Don Imus probably should not have gotten fired, I still feel that he was wrong for his comments. Anyone who chooses to make sexist and racist comments on open air should be reprimanded. For people to say things like this softens our tolerance to the point where we feel it is OK. I am a black man going to a predominately white college, and I live in a predominately white neighborhood. If I had a nickel for every time I heard "nappy headed ho" after the Don Imus fallout I would be rich. This is why it was wrong. I don't feel it is good when a 11 year old white, black, latino, green, or whatever feels it is ok or even funny to make remarks like this. As far as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton are concerned, I have to agree. They should just go somewhere, sit down, and be quiet. It is totally obvious that they are tv mongering. I still think it is wrong for Imus or even black comedians(never even heard of this), or whoever to make dumb arse statments like this.:thumbdown:

Hi everybody, I was wondering....

We live in an age of lawsuit frenzy.

So as I read this thread abut Keith Olberman - I thought - well, he's part of a major news outlet - and he just said something that is completely inaccurate that could affect us financially.

Considering that what he says is inaccurate and effects this profession - why not press charges?

I don't know anything about the law or the civil system - but I do know that a lawsuit often grabs the attention of those involved. MSNBC isn't going to care about the emails we write them - but they will care if they face a lawsuit. MSNBC owns Newsweek, guess what? Newsweek apologized for the misinformation they had on "Hero MD"

If some guy can sue for $67 million dollars over a pair of pants, then I think as a profession we have better odds with a case versus MSNBC. Even if we don't win, we still make the new media aware of the misinformation they have just given to the public.

Some of our schools are public schools. My little school has three lawyers, now why don't some of our public schools press charges for misinformation and financial damage? The STATE governments have invested in our school and profession, thus the misinformation by MSNBC damages public interest and investment.

It would a state institution vs MSNBC - that'll get their attention and set things right.

Class action lawsuit - we should sue them for like $2 billion dollars in damages. And of course we will loose if we ask for $2 billion dollars - but my point is this: it will GET EVERYONES attention.

If people pay attention to a $67 million dollar lawsuit over pants. Then they'll pay attention to a $2 billion dollar lawsuit.

If they apologize - great
If we get money - even better
:smuggrin:

Hi everybody, I was wondering....

We live in an age of lawsuit frenzy.

So as I read this thread abut Keith Olberman - I thought - well, he's part of a major news outlet - and he just said something that is completely inaccurate that could affect us financially.

Considering that what he says is inaccurate and effects this profession - why not press charges?

I don't know anything about the law or the civil system - but I do know that a lawsuit often grabs the attention of those involved. MSNBC isn't going to care about the emails we write them - but they will care if they face a lawsuit. MSNBC owns Newsweek, guess what? Newsweek apologized for the misinformation they had on "Hero MD"

If some guy can sue for $67 million dollars over a pair of pants, then I think as a profession we have better odds with a case versus MSNBC. Even if we don't win, we still make the new media aware of the misinformation they have just given to the public.

Some of our schools are public schools. My little school has three lawyers, now why don't some of our public schools press charges for misinformation and financial damage? The STATE governments have invested in our school and profession, thus the misinformation by MSNBC damages public interest and investment.

It would a state institution vs MSNBC - that'll get their attention and set things right.

Class action lawsuit - we should sue them for like $2 billion dollars in damages. And of course we will loose if we ask for $2 billion dollars - but my point is this: it will GET EVERYONES attention.

If people pay attention to a $67 million dollar lawsuit over pants. Then they'll pay attention to a $2 billion dollar lawsuit.

Sure, why not? Let's waste time and money by filing a claim we all know is merit less. While we're at it, let's gum up the court system so that those with legitimate cases have no chance of obtaining a court date anytime within the next millennium. Oh yeah, and good luck finding an attorney who will take such a claim, as an attorneys (and in some extreme cases even plaintiffs) can be sanctioned for bringing a claim they know has no legal standing.

I agree Olbermann's comments were ill-informed and potentially misleading (I even contributed to the email campaign), but isn't legal action taking it a bit far? Everyone thinks the guy who filed the $67 million pant suit (haha) is a dick. Suing Olbermann for $2 billion (or any other outrageous amount) will only ensure that the public believes the same of the osteopathic profession.

The more I read these posts the more I realize how little people know....I'm not talking about the "general public" I'm talking about the people that post on this site. Just about any DO with a good practice would laugh off Keith Olberman. I know a DO who made 800,000 dollars last year. Do you think he cares if some random person posts a stupid question or a blow dried ****** like Olberman says something stupid...No he's too busy sipping his martini on his boat :)

After watching "the show" I sort of got the impression that Olberman knew what a DO was but still felt that they were "so-called" doctors. The reason I say this is because he even noted that Dr. Sophy was a valid member of the American Psychiatric Association, but was turned off that he "is not an MD."

Even the other jerk he was talking to chimed in and said that Dr. Sophy turned out to be a quack (apparently he does not consider DOs physicians either).

On a side note: Did anyone else think Olberman and the other ***** were excessively rude when talking about Paris? Even Paris Hilton deserves some type of respect in my opinion.

True...I cant even find what school he attended on his website or even what residency program he was a part of. But olbermann still generalized all of osteopathic medicine...:thumbdown:

Graduted PCOM in 1986
AOA Member in good standing
Residency in Psychiatry (BC)
Fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Neurologists and Psychiatrists (ACONP)
Primary specialty: Pediatric Psychiatry

The more I read these posts the more I realize how little people know....I'm not talking about the "general public" I'm talking about the people that post on this site. Just about any DO with a good practice would laugh off Keith Olberman. I know a DO who made 800,000 dollars last year. Do you think he cares if some random person posts a stupid question or a blow dried ****** like Olberman says something stupid...No he's too busy sipping his martini on his boat :)

If a physician is making that kind of money, I doubt he has time to sip martinis on his boat. If he has a boat, it's docked.

Hi everybody, I was wondering.... Class action lawsuit - we should sue them for like $2 billion dollars in damages. And of course we will loose if we ask for $2 billion dollars - but my point is this: it will GET EVERYONES attention.

You realize, of course, that the defendant won that case. ;)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/25/AR2007062500443.html

I think any press would be negative and conventional wisdom would deem it petty, just like the lawsuit over pants.

I knew I loved Keith Olbermann for a reason - and here I thought it was just because of his O'Reilly bashing!

Graduted PCOM in 1986
AOA Member in good standing
Residency in Psychiatry (BC)
Fellow of the American College of Osteopathic Neurologists and Psychiatrists (ACONP)
Primary specialty: Pediatric Psychiatry

I see why he was brought in to treat Paris...:laugh:

Then I've never wanted to be a pedifile so badly

I didn't know who Keith Olberman was until this nonsense. I wish I still didn't know who he was.

I think the only way to solve this issue is to have Keith Olberman (anti-DO)and Paris Hilton (pro-DO) debate if a D.O. is actually a 'real' doctor.

Wow, that "fake rolex" statement was absolutely ridiculous...

Dont get angry over what these people think/say - instead, educate them. Educating your future patients/their families/the public in general etc. will be a bothersome but necessary responsibility specific to those who plan to earn/are earning a D.O.. Get used to it : /