Keith Olbermann's comments on D.O.'s

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am glad that the AOA has taken action.

Members don't see this ad :)
nicely written letter...but I can help but laugh that he was still able to squeeze in the moniker of "DO's treat the person not just symptons":laugh:...i guess coming from the AOA it is no surprise.

I'm glad the AOA has decided to act on this issue and has written and called Olbermann's representative at MSNBC.

I don't know how treating the person not the disease has to do with this, and I thought we'd abandoned that slogan for "Osteopathic Medicine: Our Family Treating Yours."

jd

Here is the letter I wrote..hahah

Dear Mr. Olbermann,

I have to say that it is very upsetting that journalism today can not even do their research. I will quote you: "Maybe that's because the Doctor, who'd been so adept at getting Ms. Hilton out of tight spots, is not an MD, and may have lied a little bit about his credentials...not a medical doctor, but rather an Osteopath, a Doctor of Osteopathy, focusing on alternative treatments..". Let me help your journalism skills out just a bit, then you won't have to do the research for yourself.
Doctors of Osteopathy go through the same grueling schooling and studies as do Doctors of Medicine, or so how you put it "M.D.'s". We all have the same credentials (including prescription privileges) and we are all given the same rights to be involved in any field of medicine, such as psychiatry. The difference you ask? Doctors of Osteopathy ( D.O.'s) are required to take ADDITIONAL classes in as you so put "alternative medicine" including musculo-skeletal medicine, manipulation, and natural health. We go through this extra training because medication and pills are not the source of cure for everything; I believe that if you were to talk to patients who have chronic neck or back pain, or athletes, they would agree that they would rather have their problems solved, rather than the symptoms go away with pills. With that said, I hope to one day be an OB-GYN, where the skills I have learned in my Osteopathic school will help me in various situations, that I wouldn't expect you to understand.
Beyond everything else, as students, we cherish our "volunteer" professors, because they are there to TEACH, not make money, and that shows a thousand times over in the classroom. I am not agreeing nor disagreeing with what Ms. Hilton's physician did, but his title does not make him any less qualified that any other " M.D." that received there degree in a medical school in the United States, or any other country.
I believe that you owe the entire family of Osteopathic medicine a very sincere apology, for not only demeaning our degree and education, but all of the lives we have touched, and for that matter, saved.

Sincerely,
Tiffany S______
Also, this will be forwarded to Radar Magazine.

I sent in the letter that the AOA provided for us in addition to the one I sent last week. What do you guys think about signing off as "Student Doctor?" At NYCOM we were told to refer to ourselves as "Student Physician" when dealing with patients. It really doesn't make a difference, but I think Student Physician has a bit more of a professional ring to it than Student Doctor has.

I sent in the letter that the AOA provided for us in addition to the one I sent last week. What do you guys think about signing off as "Student Doctor?" At NYCOM we were told to refer to ourselves as "Student Physician" when dealing with patients. It really doesn't make a difference, but I think Student Physician has a bit more of a professional ring to it than Student Doctor has.

It is a title of distinction, not a job title. Student Doctor JasonUD, just as someone will call you Dr. JasonUD once you graduate. I don't introduce myself as Physician WannabeDO, I'm Dr. WannabeDO.

Just my $.02.

If Rev. Al Sharpton can retaliate against Don Imus (both of which are idiots themselves) for saying "nappy headed hoes" then a suit is in order here w/ Keith Olberman.

This a GREAT idea...I'm serious let's do it. Let's consult Rev. Al and get him on the case. Rev. Al is more feared in the media than the FCC.

I especially like this part of the student letter: "I am available to answer any questions that you have regarding D.O.s’ practice rights and the osteopathic medical education and training they receive. You may call me at the enclosed phone number. "

lol...you think Keith will call me?

I don't care about student doctor/medical student/student physician

I think using OMS is ******ed though.

I think using OMS is ******ed though.

I was wary of it initally, but then I found myself using it a lot. Ironically, I used it more in hospitals where there were more MD attendings. It became a source of pride that I didn't know I had. You will distinguish yourself as a DO when you graduate, why not start now by adding the O to the MS.

I was wary of it initally, but then I found myself using it a lot. Ironically, I used it more in hospitals where there were more MD attendings. It became a source of pride that I didn't know I had. You will distinguish yourself as a DO when you graduate, why not start now by adding the O to the MS.

well said!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I can't believe Paris Hilton talked about what Olbermann said about DO's in her Larry King interview! That was so great that she said that about us with so many people watching! She really educated a lot of people about osteopathy!!! Haha no just kidding, she didn't say anything. Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

Wow I can't believe Paris Hilton talked about what Olbermann said about DO's in her Larry King interview! That was so great that she said that about us with so many people watching! She really educated a lot of people about osteopathy!!! Haha no just kidding, she didn't say anything. Sorry I couldn't resist. :D

:mad:

I was opening another browser window just to look for the video somewhere when I realized you were kidding...

snap!

:laugh:

Random.....but he's actually going to be on the Letterman show tonight.

Did anyone in NYC happen to go to the taping this afternoon? lol......

are you sure it''s tonight?

So, I was reading some news about that WWE wrestler who killed his family and hanged himself, and in the article it says that he may have purchased steroids from a Florida based company who was headed up by "Dr. Gary Brandwein... an osteopath"

When an MD screws up and engages in unethical or illegal activity you never see "Dr. so-and-so, an allopath" or "Dr. so-and-so, an M.D." However, with DOs you do. These types of articles, and comments by people like Olbermann do have a lasting impact on the people who hear them. If you read enough bad news followed by "Osteopath", the connection becomes cemented in the public's mind.

http://phoenix.cox.net/cci/newsnati...=article&id=D8Q1JKA01&_action=validatearticle

So, to the "Its not a big deal" people:

I understand that these issues do not directly reflect the type of practice a DO has, or the type of care they provide, but it does have a negative impact on our profession (or future profession) as a whole. IMO - that is a big deal!

So, I was reading some news about that WWE wrestler who killed his family and hanged himself, and in the article it says that he may have purchased steroids from a Florida based company who was headed up by "Dr. Gary Brandwein... an osteopath"

When an MD screws up and engages in unethical or illegal activity you never see "Dr. so-and-so, an allopath" or "Dr. so-and-so, an M.D." However, with DOs you do. These types of articles, and comments by people like Olbermann do have a lasting impact on the people who hear them. If you read enough bad news followed by "Osteopath", the connection becomes cemented in the public's mind.

http://phoenix.cox.net/cci/newsnati...=article&id=D8Q1JKA01&_action=validatearticle

So, to the "Its not a big deal" people:

I understand that these issues do not directly reflect the type of practice a DO has, or the type of care they provide, but it does have a negative impact on our profession (or future profession) as a whole. IMO - that is a big deal!

I think when the media wants to portray an osteopathic physician in a bad light, they will call the physician an Osteopath. Osteopath to the press has some sort of negative stigma. It may even have to do with the DO profession's history. The fact that DO's intially only used OMM to treat patients which the news agencies will call "alternative medicine" and therefore consider DO's fake physicians. That could be the reason why news agencies use the term Osteopath as a negative term.

However, when DO's are heros they are granted a MD degree.:laugh:

I think when the media wants to portray an osteopathic physician in a bad light, they will call the physician an Osteopath. Osteopath to the press has some sort of negative stigma.

Also, the press often uses....Dr.Blank, Doctor of Osteopathy.....or "Osteopath" when the DO degree is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. Albeit small this nuance is important.

If a physician is making that kind of money, I doubt he has time to sip martinis on his boat. If he has a boat, it's docked.

Thats not completely true.

Also, the press often uses....Dr.Blank, Doctor of Osteopathy.....or "Osteopath" when the DO degree is Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine. Albeit small this nuance is important.

What I can't figure out is why these places don't consult style manuals. The AOA maintains one online for the osteopathic profession:
http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=mc_kitstyle

Of course it's a little silly to hold the entire media to such a high standard when whoever edits our profession's website can't even keep it free of silly errors. Near the bottom of the above website, note the double colon:

Osteopathic medical schools should be referred to with their osteopathic identification::
Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences College of Osteopathic Medicine

Good grief.

how does it feel to be everyones biatch?...woops..i mean surgical intern...hope its going well man

:)

Life is very busy for me right now, lets just say that.

any feedback would be appreciated:

Dear Mr. Olbermann,
You're an idiot.

Seriously, guys, do you think anyone outside our professions gives a crap?

I think that the nice emails explaining nicely what a D.O. is are nice, but I'm with you:

Dear *******,
You're stoopid. Get a clue.
Signed,
A D.O.

I'm not a medical student any longer, but I would have used or would support using OMS if when I graduated I recieved an OMD. But who cares anyway. If the only thing that distuingishes D.O. students from M.D. counterparts is the way they sign their name then are we that different. And if we are different (which I think in some ways we are), then let our actions speak for themselves.

When an MD screws up and engages in unethical or illegal activity you never see "Dr. so-and-so, an allopath"

That's because nobody in the mainstream of medicine uses the term "allopath". It is a term created by Samuel Hahnemann, founder of homeopathy. His basic premise was "by similar things is a disease produced by similar things will it be cured", or "let like be cured with like." He called himself a homeopath. Homeo-like, "pathos" - suffering. Conventional physicians were "allo" - different, "pathos" - suffering, since their treatments counteracted or suppressed symptoms.

By using it, you automatically differentiate yourself from the mainstream of medicine and identify yourself as someone on the fringe.

Anytime a DO identifies himself as anything but a "physician", he's demeaning his accomplishments.

Here is my response:

Keith,

First of all, let me say that I love your show and I Tivo it every evening. The reason I don't watch it live every night is because I am in the middle of my residency training to become a physician, where I often work 80 hours in a week. I graduated from an osteopathic medical school and am attending an MD residency. Unfortunately, your research team led you astray last night. Osteopathic physicians are every bit as qualified to practice all types of medicine in the United States, including psychiatry. We attend 4 years of college, 4 years of medical school, and 3-7 years of residency depending on the specialty that we choose. We are required to take board examinations, just like MD's. In fact, our training is nearly identical to MD training, except that we are required to take an additional course in medical school. Our philosophy regarding medicine is somewhat different from MD's, and as a profession we tend to be more open minded than our allopathic counterparts. As a point of fact, osteopathic medical schools were among the first to regularly admit women and minorities. This, sir, is not something to ridicule.

Certainly, we are fewer in number as there are only about 20 osteopathic schools in the United States as compared to 150 allopathic schools. However, we are present in every aspect of medicine. Sir, we are your neurosurgeons, cardiologists, psychiatrists, pulmonologists, general surgeons, plastic surgeons, and of course, your friendly family physician. I ask that you look at this objectively and not succumb to the tactics of a Fox News Channel. It would be wonderful if you could devote a little time (and possibly an apology) to those who have dedicated years of their lives and their families' lives to the study of medicine, and specifically to those who have pursued Osteopathic medicine.

I have enclosed a list of just a few of our more prominent representatives.

William G. Anderson, D.O
The first African American to be elected president of a major medical association when he held this position at the American Osteopathic Association in 1994-1995. In addition, Dr. Anderson was a civil rights activist who worked closely with Martin Luther King, Jr., and was president of the Albany Movement.

Lt. General Ronald Blanck, D.O., MC, USA (Ret.)-Former Surgeon General of the U.S. Army
While serving as Surgeon General, Dr. Blanck was the highest ranking D.O. in the commissioned services. A three-star general, Dr. Blanck was the director of the Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC. Dr. Blanck also served as the Army’s chief medical officer during the Gulf War.

Sister Anne Brooks, D.O.
Catholic nun whose work in impoverished rural Mississippi was covered nationally in People Magazine, and on Good Morning America and Sixty Minutes. Sister Anne joined Ronald Reagan and Ryan White as a recipient of the first Norman Vincent Peale Positive Thinking Award.

Jon W. Fong, D.O.
Since July 1998, Dr. Fong has served as a technical advisor for NBC’s ER. In this capacity, he orchestrates every medical procedure on the show and trains the actors to realistically mimic performing medical procedures and discuss medical topics.

Lawrence Lavine, D.O.
Speedskater Apolo Anton Ohno flew Dr. Lavine to Salt Lake City during the 2002 Winter Olympics after injuring his thigh during a competition. After receiving osteopathic manipulative treatment from Dr. Lavine, Apolo went on to win the gold medal in the 1,500 meter short-track race.

Barbara Ross-Lee, D.O.
As the past dean of Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine, Dr. Ross-Lee became the first African-American woman to head a U.S. medical school. She has contributed to the field of medicine through appointments to the National Advisory Committee on Rural Health and the Advisory Committee on Research on Women’s Health for the National Institute of Health.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter. I am certain that the response I receive will be far superior to what I would get if I were emailing Bill O'Reilly. Good night and good luck!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Thank you for giving an even-tempered, mature response to Mr. Olbermann.

To those of you sending off screeching polemics...what are you really trying to do? Vent your frustrations? Do that to the wall in your room. When you do it in public and to public figures, you're not helping the profession in the least. Remember, if these people don't know what an osteopathic physician is, then you are their first impression.