Kentucky Optometry Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.D.CPB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just saw today that the 22nd Optometry School was approved and it will be in Kentucky. I will not be applying to this school as I have been accepted at other schools and still have 2-3 interviews, but I found it odd that they would announce their opening midway through the application cycle. On the other hand, I read through some of the information and it sounds like they will provide all students with ipads, laptops, all of your books, and all of your ophthalmic equipment. That seems like a cool thing to incorporate, however I don't know what I would think of living in the city that it is in with only 7000 some for population. What does everyone else think about this?

Members don't see this ad.

The cost of those items will still be paid for through tuition money.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't get too excited for a school in Kentucky just because it's in a "progressive" state for Optometry. New schools are one of the biggest problems facing the profession today. Don't just read the bls.gov projections online.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't see there being anything "wrong" with having more OD schools. If over saturation of the profession is your worry, be more competitive as an OD. Keep up to date in new research and provide great survice. If you do those things you will be fine. Those who are worried are those who know they are inadequate.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Louisiana are the most progressive states for Optometrists.

Are you planning to apply there? I have all ready been accepted to optometry school, but the fact that the school is in Kentucky is very enticing to me. But the schools tuition is on the higher end.

I don't see there being anything "wrong" with having more OD schools. If over saturation of the profession is your worry, be more competitive as an OD. Keep up to date in new research and provide great survice. If you do those things you will be fine. Those who are worried are those who know they are inadequate.

I had a similar attitude not too long ago, and while it is important to set yourself apart as a great doctor and provide the highest quality of care no matter where you practice, you are doing yourself a disservice by not looking into the issue further. While it may be comforting to tell yourself that the only ones concerned about oversupply are inferior practitioners/businessmen, you're only kidding yourself. The rate at which new schools are opening will only lead to lower admission standards and greater dependence on corporate entities for employment post-graduation. There is no sign of slowing down, and the fact that pre-optometry students tend to downplay the challenges facing their future profession worries me.

Are you sure you will be that much better than your classmates?

Reactions: 3 users
I had a similar attitude not too long ago, and while it is important to set yourself apart as a great doctor and provide the highest quality of care no matter where you practice, you are doing yourself a disservice by not looking into the issue further. While it may be comforting to tell yourself that the only ones concerned about oversupply are inferior practitioners/businessmen, you're only kidding yourself. The rate at which new schools are opening will only lead to lower admission standards and greater dependence on corporate entities for employment post-graduation. There is no sign of slowing down, and the fact that pre-optometry students tend to downplay the challenges facing their future profession worries me.

Are you sure you will be that much better than your classmates?

I'm not worried with oversupply. Bothe optometry and healthcare are changing. More and more people have health benifits for eyecare then ever before. While there will be many who go into corporate settings out of necessity or choice/lifestyle, private practice will always be viable.

I do aggree not looking into the issue more is a disservice to myself. Obviously if in then net 10 years 10 schools opened that is a problem, but with an increase in need for optometric care new schools should be built accordingly.

Finaly I wouldn't say I am that much better than my classmates, but that we are better than other schools (mere school pride :) )

You should be worried for your profession, even if you aren't personally worried about making a decent living. Optometry is changing, yes. Billing medical is great, and your education should prepare you to specialize if you so desire. The problem is your statement about increased need for optometric care. There is none. Even if there were, it would not warrant even close to the number of schools currently popping up across the country. You're wrapping yourself up in the warm blanket of OD school recruiter hopefulness and fanciful job growth projections. This is what worries me...

It's good to be excited about your future profession, just leave off the lemon-glaze sugar coating with sprinkles. It's too fattening.

Last edited:
You should be worried for your profession, even if you aren't personally worried about making a decent living. Optometry is changing, yes. Billing medical is great, and your education should prepare you to specialize if you so desire. The problem is your statement about increased need for optometric care. There is none. Even if there were, it would not warrant even close to the number of schools currently popping up across the country. You're wrapping yourself up in the warm blanket of OD school recruiter hopefulness and fanciful job growth projections. This is what worries me...

It's good to be excited about your future profession, just leave off the lemon-glaze sugar coating with sprinkles. It's too fattening.

Now, what if someone couldn't get into a medical school but could still see themselves happy with optometry as an alternative career, knowing full well the risks and the cost of pursuing the degree.?

Are you planning to apply there? I have all ready been accepted to optometry school, but the fact that the school is in Kentucky is very enticing to me. But the schools tuition is on the higher end.
No, I already got accepted into NSUOCO and UMSL, so I'm just going to decide between those 2!

Now, what if someone couldn't get into a medical school but could still see themselves happy with optometry as an alternative career, knowing full well the risks and the cost of pursuing the degree.?

I wouldn't recommend Optometry as a fall back for those who don't get into med school, but if you think you really will enjoy it then by all means.. Just understand the cost of education and how much you're likely to make after graduation.

I wouldn't recommend Optometry as a fall back for those who don't get into med school, but if you think you really will enjoy it then by all means.. Just understand the cost of education and how much you're likely to make after graduation.

Are there people in your class that used it as a fall back? Are they fine with their decision?

I interviewed at KYCO on 1/13. I was very impressed by the whole thing. They'll have technology there that the Harvard medical school also has...and the equipment included in the tuition is worth $16,000.

Was accepted on 1/15...now just trying to decide between 2 schools. :/