Kind of a random question, sorry if it's been asked before...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Throwawaywoop

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If an applicant becomes a "do not rank" at a particular program for whatever reason, does that mean they've lost their chance to match at any program they interview at or just that one? Assuming they sincerely learned their lesson and would not make the same mistake that put them in that position...

Members don't see this ad.

If an applicant becomes a "do not rank" at a particular program for whatever reason, does that mean they've lost their chance to match at any program they interview at or just that one? Assuming they sincerely learned their lesson and would not make the same mistake that put them in that position...

Just that program. Programs don't know where else you are interviewing, and wouldn't share rank lists with each other if they did.

Reactions: 1 users
Just that program. Programs don't know where else you are interviewing, and wouldn't share rank lists with each other if they did.

Thank you for your response, that's good to know. What kinds of situations make an applicant a DNR? Many of the threads here mention malignant personalities, but does being late or appearing disorganized, for example, immediately disqualify someone?

Thank you for your response, that's good to know. What kinds of situations make an applicant a DNR? Many of the threads here mention malignant personalities, but does being late or appearing disorganized, for example, immediately disqualify someone?

Late and disorganized are not good looks for an interview day, when applicants (and programs) are trying to look their best. Depending on the circumstances, it would probably raise some questions during ranking. DNR? It depends on who was affected, why it happened, and the depth/strength of the applicant pool. Whatever happened, it's over and you can't let it get inside your head or it could affect your performance in future interviews. Send a note thanking the program for the opportunity, apologize if that's in order, and move forward.

Very institution dependent. Some you can tell are very poor personality fits - It’s hard to define, but you sort of know it when you see it (for us it was lack of team mentality, arrogance). Mentioning interests in other fields (e.g. applying to a program as a backup) won’t win you any favors. Finally, every year there are 1 or 2 applicants who over indulge at the interview dinner... keep it to one drink if you must.

We DNR’ed less than 5-10% of the people we interviewed - it took a lot for us to say we’d rather SOAP and take a risk than take a person we already saw. I am sure this practice varies widely across specialties and programs.

Reactions: 1 user
I got DNRd for being an FMG. Thanks for wasting my time, Mt. Sinai!

(This was 14 years ago. I knew it, because I didn't match there, and they didn't fill. I found out only later that the only FMGs they would consider were those from Sackler. That PD is no longer there, having died in 2006.)

Yes, still a tiny burning ember of agitas. Getting less and less, but still differentially present.

Here, it is an unanimous decision that we would rather SOAP than accept that person. Past reasons for DNR's: medical student on rotation that could never be found; getting drunk at dinner the night before and being inappropriate with the hostess; being rude to program coordinator (and I mean overtly, flat out rude); playing on phone during presentation by PD; yelling at program coordinator on phone; making inappropriate comments about a resident to another resident (that almost caused an incident-the two residents were married to each other, the bad part was that this was during the interview day....no alcohol involved!!)...you get the idea.

Here, it is an unanimous decision that we would rather SOAP than accept that person. Past reasons for DNR's: medical student on rotation that could never be found; getting drunk at dinner the night before and being inappropriate with the hostess; being rude to program coordinator (and I mean overtly, flat out rude); playing on phone during presentation by PD; yelling at program coordinator on phone; making inappropriate comments about a resident to another resident (that almost caused an incident-the two residents were married to each other, the bad part was that this was during the interview day....no alcohol involved!!)...you get the idea.

Before my first interview I would have thought this post hyperbolic. I now know otherwise.

OP, when you do something ridiculously stupid (and trust me, we ALL do) the best thing to do is reflect and resolve to be better. The fact that you even asked this question shows you are doing just that.