Kind of KCUCOM vs RVUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rummie93

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to start by saying this isn't me asking which school is better and I don't want some troll coming on here and giving me some stupid answer. I have interviewed at both schools been accepted at RVU. I haven't heard from RVUCOM, but I will need to make a decision about deposits soon. I was impressed by both schools, and can honestly say I can see myself succeeding equally. The problem I have is deciding which school will best prepare me for residency and fellowship. Currently I plan on pursuing pediatrics and then specializing is something like Heme/Onc or Card; I obviously know that this can change. From what I know I will need research experience to get a competitive residency and fellowship. My question is in all of your collective knowledge which school will best prepare me. My research experience is extensive but happened during my UG career and will be 6 years in the history by the time I go to residency. I want to know if my opinion of necessity of research is accurate and if anyone has insight greater than go wherever you feel best. I completely understand that this is practically first world medical school problems and am not complaining, but I need help. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

For competitive residencies, I'd lean to KCU. Any school that can get DOs into Mayo's Derm program must be doing something right.

As for preparing you for residency, period? Either school.

I want to start by saying this isn't me asking which school is better and I don't want some troll coming on here and giving me some stupid answer. I have interviewed at both schools been accepted at RVU. I haven't heard from RVUCOM, but I will need to make a decision about deposits soon. I was impressed by both schools, and can honestly say I can see myself succeeding equally. The problem I have is deciding which school will best prepare me for residency and fellowship. Currently I plan on pursuing pediatrics and then specializing is something like Heme/Onc or Card; I obviously know that this can change. From what I know I will need research experience to get a competitive residency and fellowship. My question is in all of your collective knowledge which school will best prepare me. My research experience is extensive but happened during my UG career and will be 6 years in the history by the time I go to residency. I want to know if my opinion of necessity of research is accurate and if anyone has insight greater than go wherever you feel best. I completely understand that this is practically first world medical school problems and am not complaining, but I need help. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Currently I plan on pursuing pediatrics

Any school will prepare you for this as most DO schools match well to peds.

For competitive residencies, I'd lean to KCU. Any school that can get DOs into Mayo's Derm program must be doing something right.

As for preparing you for residency, period? Either school.

Eh yeah but with that same logic RVU had someone match MD ortho a few years ago and always seem to have some solid gen surg matches. I think this comparison is a toss up. Both schools match pretty well and do really well on the boards.

Tldr- this is most likely a toss up OP, go where you felt the most at home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh, about 5% of my kids go into ACGME surgery residencies. We haven't gotten anyone into Ortho, though, I'll grant that. I still lean towards KCU. For Peds, though, any school will be fine.

Any school will prepare you for this as most DO schools match well to peds.

Eh yeah but with that same logic RVU had someone match MD ortho a few years ago and always seem to have some solid gen surg matches. I think this comparison is a toss up. Both schools match pretty well and do really well on the boards.

Tldr- this is most likely a toss up OP, go where you felt the most at home.

KCU has a pretty good affiliation with children's mercy hospital in KC which has helped a lot of those interested in peds to succeed. KCU also just started a pediatric honors track which formalizes some of your electives towards peds, provides you with a peds mentor, and I believe stipends you if you choose to attend the ACOP or AAP conferences.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
But wait! I thought trying to read match lists were pointless!? Maybe if schools are established that's when match list come into play?
This is literally what I meant by trolling

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not trolling. No I'm literally asking a question! I thought these two experienced posters would use other parameters when answering your question. They never do this... So I literally asked why now! When should one use match list then? Because obviously there is worth in match list, but when? They also didn't answer your research question so maybe match list come in before that. I'm not trolling though... Far from!

In a general sense, match lists are extremely hard to decipher because you don't know an okay program from an excellent once. This information comes from medical students speaking with attendings/program directors about specific programs. Its word of mouth knowledge, and not something you can get from a book or document. You can get a general idea of the general ranks of programs from residents/attendings on the speciality specific forums, but don't take it as gospel. I have a general idea from those forums of what a good match is from a bad one, but I don't claim to have expertise in these areas.

You are much better off at looking into 1) rotation with residences, 2) access to research, 3) connections to alumni, 4) to some degree time for board prep (of course this can vary). So really the older the school, the better in most cases. This is usually the best way to gauge which school gives you the greatest resources to succeed. In this scenario, KCU is the better choice.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm not trolling. No I'm literally asking a question! I thought these two experienced posters would use other parameters when answering your question. They never do this... So I literally asked why now! When should one use match list then? Because obviously there is worth in match list, but when? They also didn't answer your research question so maybe match list come in before that. I'm not trolling though... Far from!

One must use the match list when one is ready padawan.

Reactions: 3 users

This is actually a great example of how to not use a match list, because one student's match does not say anything about the school at all

But wait! I thought trying to read match lists were pointless!? Maybe if schools are established that's when match list come into play?

Let it go. You are not going to convince anyone that your backwards logic is correct and that multiple adcoms are wrong.

Let it go. You are not going to convince anyone that your backwards logic is correct and that multiple adcoms are wrong.

What in heck are you talking about!!! Did you read the post? I have agreed on multiple occasions that match list are pointless..... If anything I was asking why use match list. For real though read the thread before commenting!

What in heck are you talking about!!! Did you read the post? I have agreed on multiple occasions that match list are pointless..... If anything I was asking why use match list. For real though read the thread before commenting!

I think he is mixing you up with another poster who refused to believe that match lists are pointless to try and interpret.

I think he is mixing you up with another poster who refused to believe that match lists are pointless to try and interpret.

Ya maybe so.... I also answered back like a jerk, but one gets snappy after a long week!

Both are good schools and practically have the same curriculum but KCU is slightly more established. At a conference I asked a PD if they took DO students and both RVU and KCU were held in high regard.

Honestly they are so similar I think you should pick on factors such as tuition, location, and proximity to family.

Reactions: 3 users
Meh, about 5% of my kids go into ACGME surgery residencies. We haven't gotten anyone into Ortho, though, I'll grant that. I still lean towards KCU. For Peds, though, any school will be fine.
Is that the school you're an ADCOM at lol

The other poster had it right. I was confusing you with that other annoying guy. He posts incessantly about match lists. I thought you were him posting in a passive aggressive way. Sorry. I usually have to post quickly in moments where my kids are occupied or after they've gone to sleep and right before I go to bed. My apologies!