Labs....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greekmedic71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I started school many people told me "what you do in lab will really teach you the theory behind what you are learning" but so far I haven't felt that labs are all that helpful in teaching you anything, except how to do techniques and write reports. They are more than an annoyance that takes 3 or more hours out of my schedule.

anyone else feel this way or is it just me?

Members don't see this ad.

For me, the difference is theorist vs. practitioner. In class it is a crazy physicist who has hair brained ideas about magic rules that rule the universe and in lab it is a former engineer with a bayou accent that wants everything done as if you were an engineer. I guess what I am saying is that it depends on your learning style. Honestly it was easier for me to imagine myself as an electron and the forces that I would feel from potential difference as opposed to building a coil generator. But that’s me. Lots of people learn better the other way around.

Labs can be hit or miss. Some help, some just seem like a waste of time. My gen chem labs took up almost as much time as the class (writing reports, etc). That made my life a big pain in the a@@.

Just try to get out of it what you can and check it off as another step done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, labs worked as advertised for me, but I'd say 1/3 of my classmates thought lab was a waste of time and reports were insulting. I see about the same proportion on SDN.

Labs are good to provide checks and balances. History books are written by the victors. That's the only way I could get through my labs, which were annoying and early! I'd rather take an exam over a lab any day.

the biggest thing i got out of a lab was proficiency... anyone can read a book and figure out how to do a PCR... but lab teaches you how to avoid and/or deal with contamination... something you cannot get out of a book...

FYI... labs are also the reason why an associates degrees are more valued than a bachelors degree in biology outside of medicine... in the job market, no one cares about your BS in Bio because all you focused on was theory with very little application... however, an Associates Degree in Bio focuses almost 100% of the education on specific application... in most areas it is easier to find work with an AS than it is with a BS... further, someone with an AS typical earns the same amount as someone with a BS in biology... employers dont care you can draw the structure of a gram negative bacteria... all they care about is if you can do a gram stain...

Before I started school many people told me "what you do in lab will really teach you the theory behind what you are learning" but so far I haven't felt that labs are all that helpful in teaching you anything, except how to do techniques and write reports. They are more than an annoyance that takes 3 or more hours out of my schedule.

I never heard that, and disagree with it. Labs won't teach you theory -- they should, however, help you develop the mindset that you can challenge what you think you know about the world.

Also, it depends on which lab class you're talking about.
  • Biology labs: mainly good for the "gee whiz" factor (under a microscope, you really can see some of that stuff they've been telling you is there).
  • O-Chem labs: mainly good to teach you how difficult it is to translate theory in to practice. (5% of the theoretical yield?!?!? WHY?!?!?)
  • Physics labs: math really can help you explain the world!!! Also, good for helping you understand errors and limits in measurement-taking. This is really essential, in my opinion, for understanding scientific publications of all sorts.
I thought that labs were more useful when the experiment went wrong than when it went right, as analyzing errors was way more educational then saying "earth's gravity was measured at 9.3 +/- 1.8 m/s2 which is in accordance with the expected value."

I'm afraid that, excepting interesting error analysis, my lab write-ups were almost entirely a time-sink. When I was a TA, I tried to get my students to be brief and to the point, both for their sake and mine, but some had been permanently scarred by previous "more pages means better" grading and just wouldn't do it.

Don't forget the #1 use of labs: another chance to develop a rapport with an instructor who might (a) help you learn the material (in one of my terms of OChem, our lab TA was way better at explanations than our lecture instructor, so we learned a lot from him) and (b) give you an academic LOR!!! :D

the biggest thing i got out of a lab was proficiency... anyone can read a book and figure out how to do a PCR... but lab teaches you how to avoid and/or deal with contamination... something you cannot get out of a book...

FYI... labs are also the reason why an associates degrees are more valued than a bachelors degree in biology outside of medicine... in the job market, no one cares about your BS in Bio because all you focused on was theory with very little application... however, an Associates Degree in Bio focuses almost 100% of the education on specific application... in most areas it is easier to find work with an AS than it is with a BS... further, someone with an AS typical earns the same amount as someone with a BS in biology... employers dont care you can draw the structure of a gram negative bacteria... all they care about is if you can do a gram stain...

I am not sure where you got the idea that an AS is better than a BS but that is completely wrong... I took my first two years at a CC before transferring out to the University of Virginia to finish my BS in Biology. At the cc, NVCC, I followed the biology science curriculum and the only labs that were required to get the AS were the intro bio and chemistry labs. There were no 300+ level labs required at the cc. To obtain the BS in Bio at UVA you need, in ADITTION to those intro labs, 3 more lab courses at the 300 level and 1 at the 400 level. Not to mention that you are also encouraged to partake in research, which as far as I know, was not a possibility at the cc. I knew absolutely nothing about laboratory technique opon completing the Associates degree but felt very confident after finishing the BS, so I will have to disagree with your statement. In addition all of the job listings that I happen to come along in the Wash/DC metro area all prefer the higher degrees and I can't recall any of them seeking AS degree holders.

IMO labs are hated by many undergrads b/c they are forced. If you are forced to do an acid-base extraction or run a Southern blot for a grade, you're going to resent it and rush through it as quickly as possible to make more time for the next thing you've got to do. If you are doing these kinds of procedures on your own time or for some non-academic reason, however, its easier to realize how interesting & powerful they are. To actually benefit from lab you've got to see it as more than just a grade.

I think the way most labs are run nowadays - with step-by-step procedures that you can complete without even thinking about what you're doing and tedious lab reports that are more about jumping through hoops - encourages zombie-like behavior in students.

Labs suck. My school seemed to go out of their way to make most of them torture sessions for premeds, and it seems many other schools do also.

I actually liked a lot of the experiments, but I hated the drudgery of writing up the lab reports, which were incredibly time-consuming and which were graded in a nitpicking manner. (In G Chem lab, the TA actually took off half a point on one report because he didn't like the TITLE of one of my graphs.) On top of that, a couple of the labs I had to take featured "quizzes" that were so difficult they were more like midterms, as well as very challenging final exams.

The one lab I actually enjoyed was orgo, because I liked the subject matter and the TA wasn't a jerk. But this was a rare exception.

Labs suck. My school seemed to go out of their way to make most of them torture sessions for premeds, and it seems many other schools do also.

I actually liked a lot of the experiments, but I hated the drudgery of writing up the lab reports, which were incredibly time-consuming and which were graded in a nitpicking manner. (In G Chem lab, the TA actually took off half a point on one report because he didn't like the TITLE of one of my graphs.) On top of that, a couple of the labs I had to take featured "quizzes" that were so difficult they were more like midterms, as well as very challenging final exams.

The one lab I actually enjoyed was orgo, because I liked the subject matter and the TA wasn't a jerk. But this was a rare exception.

Hey I remember lab. For some strange reason, all my TAs were senior undergrad chemistry majors. It's really funny because sometimes you run into them in your dorm and other times, you see them in bars and places on Friday nights (not that it helped my grades).

To be honest, I don't think any of them had much power to affect your grades. I mean, for some strange reason, they always gave me and my lab partner A-. You really had to do very badly in order to get anything below a B+ and you had to be anal if you wanted to get an A or above in those classes.

I thought the lab work was more or less informative of principles, and I enjoyed the gee wiz moments. At my school the focus was really on the analysis and writing...which I believe is the "real" point of the exercise.

I enjoyed O-Chem the best. It was like making moonshine every day.

I am not sure where you got the idea that an AS is better than a BS but that is completely wrong... I took my first two years at a CC before transferring out to the University of Virginia to finish my BS in Biology. At the cc, NVCC, I followed the biology science curriculum and the only labs that were required to get the AS were the intro bio and chemistry labs. There were no 300+ level labs required at the cc. To obtain the BS in Bio at UVA you need, in ADITTION to those intro labs, 3 more lab courses at the 300 level and 1 at the 400 level. Not to mention that you are also encouraged to partake in research, which as far as I know, was not a possibility at the cc. I knew absolutely nothing about laboratory technique opon completing the Associates degree but felt very confident after finishing the BS, so I will have to disagree with your statement. In addition all of the job listings that I happen to come along in the Wash/DC metro area all prefer the higher degrees and I can't recall any of them seeking AS degree holders.

calling one degree better than another is always subjective... obviously, within the classroom someone with a BS is going to get more education... however, i am looking at it from the entry level job market... a vast majority of entry level positions in biology across this nation are for people who have AS or BS degrees with little value of one over the other... of course Washington DC is going to have more companies looking for a BS or higher, you have more than 10 universities within a 1 hour drive... DC is by no means representative of the common job market...

further, an employer will have to fork out more money for the employee with the higher education... and, why pay the BS monkey 35K when you can pay the AS monkey 25K(which tends to increase quickly to 35k) for doing the exact same task... face it, a majority of entry level bio positions are not going to have you do anything more than paperwork and some very basic lab prep... nothing someone with an AS cant handle... as far as climbing the ladder, most employers will treat a BS the same way as an AS... you start simple and work your way up to more advanced techniques... but what you learned at university doesnt apply because the equipment is different, the materials are different, and the goals are different... besides, that 1 week experience on HPLC at university 2 years ago is going to inspire little confidence in lab managers... so whats the difference in teaching an AS monkey over a BS monkey on how to use the familiar, but different toy?

I am speaking from experience on this. I have a Masters in Biology and spent 5 years hiring and training recent biology grads for ConAgra, one of the largest food manufacturers in North America. The practices we employ are standard in the industry and no different than what you would see elsewhere in the common market. Yes, there are exeptions (e.g. good ole boy network), but these are rare compared to the national average.

calling one degree better than another is always subjective...

Calling one degree more advanced than another is NOT subjective, this is a direct indicator of the level that one is expected to contribute or bring to the table. A MS is not viewed in the same light as a BS. Nor is a BS viewed in the same context as an AS.

obviously, within the classroom someone with a BS is going to get more education... however, i am looking at it from the entry level job market... a vast majority of entry level positions in biology across this nation are for people who have AS or BS degrees with little value of one over the other...

Of course there are going to be positions in which a lower level of education would suffice, such as those positions where they are looking for "monkey's" to file out paperwork and do basic lab prep, and for these positions an AS would suffice. However, there are ALSO going to be entry level positions for scientists in which a BS is required and your not going to be just filling out paperwork and doing basic lab prep and it is these positions that an AS would NOT be able to obtain without some sort of outside experience. So once again, I disagree, there is value to a BS as opposed to an AS - they are not one in the same.

of course Washington DC is going to have more companies looking for a BS or higher, you have more than 10 universities within a 1 hour drive... DC is by no means representative of the common job market...

If an AS can do what a BS can do for cheaper why would it matter that there are a ton of universities out here? There are also quite a bit of cc's and according to your rationale shouldn't the lower paid AS out compete the BS job seekers? The fact that the NIH, the universities, the tech companies, the pharmaceutical companies, and the governmental organizations all require BS degree's has little to do with how many universities are in the area but more to do with what these entry level positions entail. An AS applicant with an introductory level knowledge of bio and chem 101 does not have the necessary foundation to pick up these positions as fast as the BS applicant whom actually did take bio courses beyond the 101 level. Also while the DC area may have its unique niche - the pharma's, universities, research corporations, tech companies, and hospitals have presence in all metro areas within the US.

face it, a majority of entry level bio positions are not going to have you do anything more than paperwork and some very basic lab prep... nothing someone with an AS cant handle... as far as climbing the ladder, most employers will treat a BS the same way as an AS...

I will have to disagree with you here, my experiences and those of friends in several cities across the US are vastly different from what you describe. If that's the case in your area I would recommend anyone with a BS to pack up and quit because there not really learning anything. Maybe that is why you guys are hiring AS applicants for those entry level positions.

you start simple and work your way up to more advanced techniques... but what you learned at university doesnt apply because the equipment is different, the materials are different, and the goals are different... besides, that 1 week experience on HPLC at university 2 years ago is going to inspire little confidence in lab managers... so whats the difference in teaching an AS monkey over a BS monkey on how to use the familiar, but different toy?

I agree that a fresh out of college BS applicant is still entry level, and your right, the typical BS applicant will not remember how to do this. But there is a difference between an AS applicant and a BS applicant, and that difference goes beyond just the technical setup of the "toy". I am not sure if the community colleges your recruiting your students from are drastically different then the cc's out here, but to obtain an AS in science from a cc out here requires just 1 year of introductory biology with lab and chemistry with lab. Beyond the intro level all that is required is an additional 1 semester sequence of a 200 level biology lecture and that's it! The rest of your coursework are all general education requirements. So the foundation that you build over the next 2 years, beyond the introductory level biology required of AS degree candidates, is undisputable. You cannot seriously tell me that the applicant with just knowledge of introductory biology 101 is just as valuable as the applicant with not only the introductory biology but an additional 28-30 credits of upper level biology under their belt... The BS applicant will no doubt still be entry level, but they have a much stronger foundation and will understand the concepts behind the research and ultimely grasp things much quicker than the applicant without this foundation.

I am speaking from experience on this. I have a Masters in Biology and spent 5 years hiring and training recent biology grads for ConAgra, one of the largest food manufacturers in North America. The practices we employ are standard in the industry and no different than what you would see elsewhere in the common market. Yes, there are exeptions (e.g. good ole boy network), but these are rare compared to the national average

With a masters in biology I would think that you would quickly recognize the difference in your level of knowledge after having taken you first year of intro bio (equivalent to an AS) and after you'd completed your BS. I would assume that upon completion of your MS that same level of difference would be evident.

In addition your experience with the responsibilities of entry level biologists within your company are not going to be the same across companies in different sectors of industry, so I wouldn't assume that just because the technical difficulty evident of the entry level positions within your company, in which you state can easily be handled by AS applicants, is uniform across the field.

At the end of the day everybody is trainable, so technically an AS shouldn't even be required, but there are varying levels of how much and for how long you intend to train someone and most companies feel that applicants with a BS require less of a learning curve than the applicant that not only needs to be thought the methods but also the theory that goes along with those methods from scratch. Even still there are companies which have positions to fill with no qualified applicants and for these companies they have no choice but to fill the position with either an AS applicant, or even an applicant with a degree in a completely unrelated field and then to just train them. This however, does not imply that these applicants are the desired applicants and most companies advertise and do search for entry level candidates with BS degrees. This is not unique to biology but most all professional fields.

Last edited:
I'm in the "labs are just annoying" camp. At least for post-bacc. For intro classes you don't have the skills to do much interesting, and when you're working on top of classes + volunteering, those 3 hrs + prep really suck. The good thing is that the grading at HES for labs was very easy, and my TFs were laid back. As long as you did the pre-lab correctly and paid attention while doing the experiment, they weren't too picky when it came to the writeup.

My undergrad labs were more interesting, but that was because they were more intensive and we almost felt we were doing research. :D

I've largely felt like chemistry labs were a waste of time. In chemistry the lab never seemed at all tied to what we were doing in lecture whether it was supposed to be or not. I've never had physics so I can't comment there, and the only chemistry I've had was general.

I did, however, teach high school for two years and can state that most students in my classes never seemed to make the connection between what was going on in lab versus regular class. That may have been my fault as I've never claimed to have been an outstanding teacher, but as I reflect on my high school laboratory experience I can mimic what my students felt. Unless you're doing something like looking at the tissue that you're talking about in biology or measuring liters of something when you're talking about the metric system to compare that to say a cup then most of it never clicked. I'm not saying the labs didn't make sense but the connections were usually missing. I can barely remember college chemistry lab since I rarely went eight years ago usually because it was so boring to me. In fact, I hated the labs.

I'll go even further to say that the AP kids that I taught anatomy/physiology to never seemed to even figure out what they were doing in dissecting the many things that we dissected. Then again, as I reflect on high school I didn't care about the lesson. I just wanted to cut stuff up.

I still need to take organic chem and physics to apply to med school. I did fine in everything but chem, and I'll probably retake that since I never really learned it the first time at least not enough to move on to organic.

I've largely felt like chemistry labs were a waste of time. In chemistry the lab never seemed at all tied to what we were doing in lecture whether it was supposed to be or not. I've never had physics so I can't comment there, and the only chemistry I've had was general.

I did, however, teach high school for two years and can state that most students in my classes never seemed to make the connection between what was going on in lab versus regular class. That may have been my fault as I've never claimed to have been an outstanding teacher, but as I reflect on my high school laboratory experience I can mimic what my students felt. Unless you're doing something like looking at the tissue that you're talking about in biology or measuring liters of something when you're talking about the metric system to compare that to say a cup then most of it never clicked. I'm not saying the labs didn't make sense but the connections were usually missing. I can barely remember college chemistry lab since I rarely went eight years ago usually because it was so boring to me. In fact, I hated the labs.

I'll go even further to say that the AP kids that I taught anatomy/physiology to never seemed to even figure out what they were doing in dissecting the many things that we dissected. Then again, as I reflect on high school I didn't care about the lesson. I just wanted to cut stuff up.

I still need to take organic chem and physics to apply to med school. I did fine in everything but chem, and I'll probably retake that since I never really learned it the first time at least not enough to move on to organic.

Yeah I felt the same way with most of my intro labs, especially chemistry. If you take Quantitative Chemical Analysis then the chemistry connections in lab will start to make sense, but with just intro chem lab it was all a blurr. As for the other intro classes, physics was nicely done. I think that out of all of the intro labs physics was the best one and the only that really tied the lecture together with the lab nicely.