Laptop? Tablet? Whatcha gonna get?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't think many people here suggested to spend 3k on a laptop. In addition, much of what you're suggesting, a basic laptop + tablet, was pretty much echoed throughout the thread. Am I missing something ? o_O

I guess I got to up my RC powers :whistle:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Now if you really want some serious power. Look into velocity micros laptops.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited:
My 2 cents:

1) Don't make any decisions until June/July. There's going to be some sort of refresh. I'm not going to touch the rumors because, well, they're rumors. No point getting spun up about things that may not exist.
2) Don't get *too* caught up in the nitty gritty specs. Yes a quad core can significantly outperform a dual core. Is it going to make a difference in your years as a dental student? Doubtful.
3) The Air is every bit as good as the Pro, and for our purposes, I think even better.

You're not going to even begin to explore the full power of a pro, not now, and not in any year of dental school. A maxed out Air will be more than good enough. I've owned Apple laptops for the past 8 years or so — both Airs and Pros of various generations. The latest generations of Airs have been hands-down the best laptops I've ever owned. As you know, it's incredibly light and sturdy. When I pick up a Pro it feels like a lead weight to me now.

Really, you can't go wrong either way. They're both incredibly portable and performant. However, having owned and heavily used both, I would suggest the Air. The *only* situation that it won't "last" as you say, is if you're a big gamer and you want to keep up with the latest games; they tend to tax and create obsolete hardware more than pretty much anything else.

The line of laptops might change significantly come June or July, nobody really knows. If I were the one making the decision, I'd really only think about one thing: retina. If at that point the Air has it, I'd go with that. If it doesn't, I'd think about if I _really_ want the retina Pro (I'd probably still stick with the Air).

You're going to be in a *very* different place four years from now (yay!). If, at that point, you want to splurge and get yourself a graduation gift, go ahead and max out whatever Apple's sexiest machine is.

For background, I've been professionally involved with tech/software for over a decade. To give you kids some perspective, my first computer's keyboard weighed MORE than a Macbook Pro. I've disassembled dozens of Macbook Pros and Airs (even blindfolded: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/p206x206/183696_10150124596146866_4379324_n.jpg).

EDIT: I'm not saying that Macs are THE way to go. I'm an Apple guy and the OP specifically asked about a Pro vs Air.

Last edited:
My 2 cents:

1) Don't make any decisions until June/July. There's going to be some sort of refresh. I'm not going to touch the rumors because, well, they're rumors. No point getting spun up about things that may not exist.
2) Don't get *too* caught up in the nitty gritty specs. Yes a quad core can significantly outperform a dual core. Is it going to make a difference in your years as a dental student? Doubtful.
3) The Air is every bit as good as the Pro, and for our purposes, I think even better.

You're not going to even begin to explore the full power of a pro, not now, and not in any year of dental school. A maxed out Air will be more than good enough. I've owned Apple laptops for the past 8 years or so — both Airs and Pros of various generations. The latest generations of Airs have been hands-down the best laptops I've ever owned. As you know, it's incredibly light and sturdy. When I pick up a Pro it feels like a lead weight to me now.

Really, you can't go wrong either way. They're both incredibly portable and performant. However, having owned and heavily used both, I would suggest the Air. The *only* situation that it won't "last" as you say, is if you're a big gamer and you want to keep up with the latest games; they tend to tax and create obsolete hardware more than pretty much anything else.

The line of laptops might change significantly come June or July, nobody really knows. If I were the one making the decision, I'd really only think about one thing: retina. If at that point the Air has it, I'd go with that. If it doesn't, I'd think about if I _really_ want the retina Pro (I'd probably still stick with the Air).

You're going to be in a *very* different place four years from now (yay!). If, at that point, you want to splurge and get yourself a graduation gift, go ahead and max out whatever Apple's sexiest machine is.

For background, I've been professionally involved with tech/software for over a decade. To give you kids some perspective, my first computer's keyboard weighed MORE than a Macbook Pro. I've disassembled dozens of Macbook Pros and Airs (even blindfolded: https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/p206x206/183696_10150124596146866_4379324_n.jpg).

I just got retina pro. Its freakin awesome..

I just got retina pro. Its freakin awesome..

Absolutely, it's an awesome machine. I didn't mean to knock it in any way at all, I just think that if I had to make the choice, it would be the Air, hands down.

Retina text looks really good, but the Air's pixel density isn't bad (it's actually higher than the non-retina 13" MBP). Like I said, if the Air had a retina screen I'd choose it without even thinking. IMO, the MBP's retina screen isn't worth the extra $, weight, and battery life over the Air's non-retina.

At the same time, we'll be doing a lot of reading so the retina crispness might be worth it to you. I find reading a screen for a long period of time fatiguing with or without retina (I do both). I'm actually contemplating getting a Kindle DX (the one with the ~10" screen) for reading.

Right, the best advice is to wait as long as possible, if for no other reason than to get the $100 app store gift card that Apple gives out for their back-to-school special. There are plenty of deals on Windows laptops around that time, too. Plus we may get cool new hardware.

And if you can, get a refurb model. They're much cheaper and exactly the same as the retail models except they come in a brown box instead of the retail box. Exactly the same warranty. Nothing you get from the refurb store is repaired per se, parts are only replaced. Contrary to what most people think, they're not display models or ding/dent. They look brand spanking new.

The only downside is that for just released models, you have to wait a little while for machines to show up in the refurb section.

Last edited:
any windows lovers?? recommendations for something other than a mac?

Yea, if anyone has direct experience with the Surface Pro (or any other tablet w/a digitizer) in a classroom, I'd love to hear it.

I feel like I read this thread, but anyway I would recommend macbook pro. I used to own ASUS (windows 7) laptop, and it was great for the first 6-8months, then it kept getting slower and slower until it became unbearable after 3 years (take 5-10minutes to start up)
On the other hand, I bought 13inch macbook Retina display, and it is amazing! It feels like a phone, it never lags (rarely crashes, and when it does, it crash without lagging) It's been 1 year already and it is literally as good as new.
Keep in mind that I'm an average user. I don't use anything fancy or program anything. I mostly browser the web, use word,excel, powerpoint, and download few relatively large games.

I've had a toshiba/windows for the past 4 years, and it's gotten the job done (albeit, I've taken it to tech twice). I just used hand written notes for all my classes. Why is a mac better, and what kind of ways do people even use them for DS? Is getting a new space age computer really worth it? I'm clueless here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a toshiba/windows for the past 4 years, and it's gotten the job done (albeit, I've taken it to tech twice). I just used hand written notes for all my classes. Why is a mac better, and what kind of ways do people even use them for DS? Is getting a new space age computer really worth it? I'm clueless here.

To me, they just work EXTREMELY well for a VERY long time. I have used Windows computers and had all sorts of headaches with them-viruses, crashing, slow run time, taking forever to start up... And essentially being unusable after 3 years.

I've had my Mac for nearly 6 years and though it is a bit slower than it was when I first bought it, it is still a fantastic computer. I would never willingly go back to a Windows computer for my personal computer. However, I will run Windows on my Mac. :)

Durability is always good. My toshiba is definitely not what she used to be haha (but still functional). I wasn't aware that you could even run windows on a mac - the interface for macs always scared me away.

What kind of ways do you use your computer for school - specifically, while in class? Seems like my school uses are only for microsoft office programs and web browsing w/out anything in class. If I wanted to use this laptop in class, I'd need a plug-in because the battery lasts less than 2 hours.

Durability is always good. My toshiba is definitely not what she used to be haha (but still functional). I wasn't aware that you could even run windows on a mac - the interface for macs always scared me away.

What kind of ways do you use your computer for school - specifically, while in class? Seems like my school uses are only for microsoft office programs and web browsing w/out anything in class. If I wanted to use this laptop in class, I'd need a plug-in because the battery lasts less than 2 hours.

my mac go for 5-12 hours depending on what I'm doing. If it's just researching through web / using word, than it takes 8-9hours. Watching videos on youtube : 5-6hours. Playing games: around 4-5hours.

I'm not in ds, but I use it in some classes for note taking, but it has nothing to do with mac itself. I just prefer typing on keyboard instead of writing on paper.

Both boot camp and parallels software make it so you can run windows. Parallels lets you run OS X and windows 8.1 at the same time

Running Windows on a Mac is incredibly easy. Boot Camp comes already installed on your computer; you just buy a version of the latest Windows OS and install it on your Mac. If you do that, you can switch back and forth between running a Windows OS and a Mac OS.

However, if you use a program called Parallels (or there are a few others out there), you can essentially run the Windows OS "inside" the Mac OS. They're simultaneous, like Bottle said. Parallels costs about 80 bucks, and a copy of Windows will cost you around 100. Overall, it's not a very expensive endeavor.

My *very old* 15-inch Mac can go about 2 hours. However, it is 6 years old! The newer ones last much longer. My parents' 2-year-old 13" Pro can last about 4.5. The new Macs claim anywhere from 8-12 hours. That is some serious juice, and I am really looking forward to it!

However, the thing I'd like to to really stress is that the Mac OS is totally easy to use. If you are even the slightest bit knowledgeable about technology and are willing to piddle around with the computer for just a few hours, you can easily adjust. I've never met a person who used a Mac and *actually* thought it was hard to use, even if they were apprehensive at first (prime example: my parents).

I do a lot of 3-d rendering , cad, and use other heavy intensive programs. For me, a windows was better because the type of mac I would need to satisfy my speed requirements would be 2.5k or more.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a big spender when it comes to my computer. Even though I'm "only" getting a pc I spend about 1.5k on it. Maxing it out with the latest technology =)

Btw, lastest ios 7.1 update is nice!

I do a lot of 3-d rendering , cad, and use other heavy intensive programs. For me, a windows was better because the type of mac I would need to satisfy my speed requirements would be 2.5k or more.

Don't get me wrong, I am still a big spender when it comes to my computer. Even though I'm "only" getting a pc I spend about 1.5k on it. Maxing it out with the latest technology =)

Btw, lastest ios 7.1 update is nice!

Do you use those applications in dental shool, ktran? That's what I've been wondering about, if there are some optional programs that dental school students run that would make one really want at least a 15" screen an some nice specs.

I do believe you can get by with a $500 laptop, I just know I couldn't personally do it because of some compute-intensive stuff I do in my personal time.

So I just went and looked at Macs at Best Buy during my lunch break... I am pretty much sold on a 13" Pro now.

Even though I had looked at the specs before, I didn't realize that the weight difference between the 13" Air and 13" Pro was only half a pound. Really, that ain't nuthin'. I picked them both up and seriously couldn't tell a difference.

Also, there was a difference with the Retina display. There wasn't a *huge* difference, admittedly, but I could still tell. Since I do my studying almost exclusively on a computer screen, it will probably be better in the long term.

I like the fact that I can get 16GB of RAM with the Pro and a better processor. As far as longevity is concerned, I think both of these things will play a nice role in making my computer stay super fast for the next 4 years.

The difference between the 13" screen and the 15" screen also really isn't that much. (Yes, I sat one on top of the other and compared.) :D I'm used to using a 15", but I don't think the change will take that much adapting.

True, the Air has better battery life. Since I'll be maxing out my computer (except for the 1 TB memory... seriously, I couldn't possible use that), I'm sure I'll get less than the reported numbers. They say the 13" Pro can get 9, but I'd say that 5.5 hours would be more realistic if you are doing a few things at once (Internet, word document, etc). 5.5 hours is plenty for just about anything I can think of, though!

So... my advice is to go look! I was really favoring the Air, but not anymore.

Disclaimer: Of course, all of this is contingent upon the Air not getting a considerable upgrade in the coming months... Hah! If it does, it might be back to the drawing board. :)

Do you use those applications in dental shool, ktran? That's what I've been wondering about, if there are some optional programs that dental school students run that would make one really want at least a 15" screen an some nice specs.

I do believe you can get by with a $500 laptop, I just know I couldn't personally do it because of some compute-intensive stuff I do in my personal time.

I know that some schools like MW-AZ heavily rely on technology and use fancy programs that have 3d diagrams and stuff. Now, would a 500$ lap suffice for most dental school related things? Sure it will, but it won't be the smoothest experience. IMO, it is better to invest in a good laptop that will last 4 + years, rather than buying a mediocre one that forces you to upgrade every 2-3 years. Dental schools have recently been incorporating more and more technology into the curriculum and I predict that cpu and memory demand will increase as technology becomes more widespread in education. Thus, I think its important to have a fast enough rig to accomplish those future tasks.

Besides, its so unbearable using a 500$ laptop. No SSD, low ram, low cpu speed. Ugh, I'm an impatient guy and hate dealing with the slightest bit of lag.

its so unbearable using a 500$ laptop. No SSD, low ram, low cpu speed. Ugh, I'm an impatient guy and hate dealing with the slightest bit of lag.

Not to mention how it murders your k:hungover: ratio

Reactions: 1 users
Besides, its so unbearable using a 500$ laptop. No SSD, low ram, low cpu speed. Ugh, I'm an impatient guy and hate dealing with the slightest bit of lag.

As far as normal-everyday-dental-school-use is concerned, 4GB of RAM would suffice, correct? If I understand correctly, more RAM=better multi-tasking for memory-hogging programs only. I don't imagine we would need to run intensive programs at the same time.

As far as normal-everyday-dental-school-use is concerned, 4GB of RAM would suffice, correct? If I understand correctly, more RAM=better multi-tasking for memory-hogging programs only. I don't imagine we would need to run intensive programs at the same time.

4 gb is enough for most people . However, if you have multiple programs running at the same time you might feel a delay in speed.

Here is a Normal desktop for me, skype , ppt, excel, ms word, PDF, outlook , iTunes , and a browser.

With 8 gigs of ram, this whole process is a lot smoother for me.

Also, because of the exponential increase in technological speed of modern computers, programmers have been writing codes less elegantly and thus not as efficient.

Ideally, you would want 16 gb but 8 gb of ddr3 ram should be the new standard

Last edited:
Hey, don't blame the programmers, blame their upper management types who wanted that code done yesterday.

So I just went and looked at Macs at Best Buy during my lunch break... I am pretty much sold on a 13" Pro now.

Even though I had looked at the specs before, I didn't realize that the weight difference between the 13" Air and 13" Pro was only half a pound. Really, that ain't nuthin'. I picked them both up and seriously couldn't tell a difference.

Also, there was a difference with the Retina display. There wasn't a *huge* difference, admittedly, but I could still tell. Since I do my studying almost exclusively on a computer screen, it will probably be better in the long term.

I like the fact that I can get 16GB of RAM with the Pro and a better processor. As far as longevity is concerned, I think both of these things will play a nice role in making my computer stay super fast for the next 4 years.

The difference between the 13" screen and the 15" screen also really isn't that much. (Yes, I sat one on top of the other and compared.) :D I'm used to using a 15", but I don't think the change will take that much adapting.

True, the Air has better battery life. Since I'll be maxing out my computer (except for the 1 TB memory... seriously, I couldn't possible use that), I'm sure I'll get less than the reported numbers. They say the 13" Pro can get 9, but I'd say that 5.5 hours would be more realistic if you are doing a few things at once (Internet, word document, etc). 5.5 hours is plenty for just about anything I can think of, though!

So... my advice is to go look! I was really favoring the Air, but not anymore.

Disclaimer: Of course, all of this is contingent upon the Air not getting a considerable upgrade in the coming months... Hah! If it does, it might be back to the drawing board. :)
+1
Before I got my mac, I did a lot of research, and people made 13 inch mac sounds like 7inch. I was worried on what to choose until I went to store that display macs and the 13 turned out to be completely normal size. In fact, I think 13 is your best option if you travel around a lot or use it in classes for note taking, and 17inch if you like big screens and don't do any traveling around. Personally, I like the smaller laptops no matter what my condition is.

Regarding the retina, I did a lot of research on it, and just like you stated, there is a small difference. People told me Retina is only important to those who actually design things and require good display quality. I'm the kind of person who like to treat himself :D so I got the Retina. If you are in a serious need of saving money, get the regular display with higher GB for cheaper price.

So, if I just plan on using the computer for lectures only and reviewing notes, 4GB of Memory with 500GB Hard drive should be ok, right? btw, what's the difference between 500GB 5400RPM vs 128GB SSD?

So, if I just plan on using the computer for lectures only and reviewing notes, 4GB of Memory with 500GB Hard drive should be ok, right? btw, what's the difference between 500GB 5400RPM vs 128GB SSD?

Can you get 8 GB RAM?

Solid state drives (SSDs) have no moving parts, which gives them the advantage of being both faster, and better for portability. The 5400RPM drive has a platter that's spinning at that rate under a little magnetic head just nanometers above, so if you drop it or jostle it too much you can cause a head crash. Some or most platforms usually have accelerometers to shut the drive off to help prevent that, though. Apple lists their PCIe-attached SSD as being 9x faster than the 5400RPM drive, which does help with startup and resume times. So when you stop to whip your laptop out to check a few slides before a test, you won't have to wait as long for them to pop up. PCIe is just a faster interconnect than SATA I, II or III.

But, yes, you should be fine with those specs. Memory upgrades from manufacturers used to be more expensive than upgrading them afterwards, so check the price and compare with this list, which you can install later if you really want to (definitely check your manufacturer before upgrading): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609 600006178 600000401&IsNodeId=1&name=8GB (2 x 4GB)

That said, there is something to be said about spending a little more to remove a source of frustration during dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I'm amazed at how the number of people who are willing to pay for overpriced macbooks and ipads.

As for me, I'll be using my undergrad laptop and powerhouse desktop. If the laptop dies, I'll just get an affordable chromebook. Spending $1000+ on a powerpoint loader / facebook browser is completely ludicrous.

I'm amazed at how the number of people who are willing to pay for overpriced macbooks and ipads.

As for me, I'll be using my undergrad laptop and powerhouse desktop. If the laptop dies, I'll just get an affordable chromebook. Spending $1000+ on a powerpoint loader / facebook browser is completely ludicrous.
So do you also find it ludicrous when people purchase a Lexus over a Camry? Both are just a driving machine to get you from one place to another, essentially the same piece of equipment.

If to the purchaser the purchase is worth the extra cost, than it's not ludicrous. If a person can afford the product and they deem it worthy to spend their money on, than I can't hate on that. Plus, some people sincerely prefer the Mac platform.

First of all, most people don't purchase a laptop just for dental school. I'm willing to bet most people use their laptop for personal and dental school related activities. Second, why would you suggest a chromebook? That is the most worthless piece of junk you could suggest. It cannot even load Microsoft Office. During our four years in dental school, there will be advances in technology and your machine will have to be able to handle new software.

I can understand if you think purchasing a MAC is not worth it, but seriously, a chrome book?

Last edited:
I knew the whole "people who spend money on Macs are crazy" thing would come up eventually! :D

For $2059, this is what I get: a 13" Laptop with a 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) processor, 16 GB of SDRAM, 512GB of PCIe-based Flash Storage, and a Retina display. For an additional $183, I get 3 years of a really great protection plan.

Plus, if I buy through ShopDiscover, I get an additional 5% cashback, plus the 1% I earn on everything. Apple also runs a back-to-school special later in the year, so I'll get something from that, too.

That price just isn't that crazy to me for a computer that will last me 4+ years, be incredibly fast, be equipped for advances in technology, and will have extremely long battery life. I will use this thing for HOURS every day. I want it to be highly capable of doing basically anything I throw its way.

As I have said before, I have used both Windows and Mac computers and would never go back... and I am not one to throw away money.

First of all, most people don't purchase a laptop just for dental school. I'm willing to bet most people use their laptop for personal and dental school related activities. Second, why would you suggest a chromebook? That is the most worthless piece of junk you could suggest. It cannot even load Microsoft Office. During our four years in dental school, there will be advances in technology and your machine will have to be able to handle new software.

I can understand if you think purchasing a MAC is not worth it, but seriously, a chrome book?

I agree. A chromebook would be a waste. However I also agree that a Mac would be overpaying. Macs are about preference and design , however if I am looking for performance at a lower cost I would just get a PC. In October I got a full decked out Lenovo Ideapad Y510p for a little over 1000 bucks, with 3 year insurance. A Mac with the same specs would be double that price. Worth it ? Probably not, but some people prefer macs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To be completely honest, I didn't know there was a real difference between low-end laptops and chromebooks... I've just always called them chromebooks. What I had in mind was a cheap laptop (<$500), not something that is less capable than tablets.

I knew the whole "people who spend money on Macs are crazy" thing would come up eventually! :D

For $2059, this is what I get: a 13" Laptop with a 2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz) processor, 16 GB of SDRAM, 512GB of PCIe-based Flash Storage, and a Retina display. For an additional $183, I get 3 years of a really great protection plan.

Plus, if I buy through ShopDiscover, I get an additional 5% cashback, plus the 1% I earn on everything. Apple also runs a back-to-school special later in the year, so I'll get something from that, too.

That price just isn't that crazy to me for a computer that will last me 4+ years, be incredibly fast, be equipped for advances in technology, and will have extremely long battery life. I will use this thing for HOURS every day. I want it to be highly capable of doing basically anything I throw its way.

As I have said before, I have used both Windows and Mac computers and would never go back... and I am not one to throw away money.

But do you really need all of that? A newer-gen i5 will be more than enough to run the kinds of programs we will see, having more than 8gb of ram is almost always unnecessary, and it doesn't appear to have an SSD from what you said. I'm sure the display is phenomenal, and the service and product quality (especially the battery life) that you get from apple is very good, but it just seems very extravagant.

Do you mean you will never go back to windows? I've never used OSX, so I might be undervaluing how much people like it.

Sorry if you guys have already covered this..

For those of you getting an iPad for school, how many GB's are you planning on getting? They get pretty durn pricey.

Can I titanfall on my dental laptop?
I heard playing at 10 fps isn't too bad.

rofl.gif

Haven't read the rest of the comments on here but I've played with a friends surface pro tablet and it seems like a grad student's dream. I will personally hope that my retina macbook and iPad 3 will last me throughout these next 4 years. If I have to make a purchase midway through school I would definitely look into the surface pro though.

Along the same line, what are some iPad apps that you guys like for school?

HI GUYS!
So, onward from my predicament. What computer are you guys thinking about getting, and what kind of specs does it have?

Get a ThinkPad W series. These laptops may look like bricks, but they pack serious performance power. I coded HaleOS on one...that says something. (Err...spaghetti much? lawl)
Capable of running multiple CAD software as well as intensive computational modelling of aircraft.
Will it run Crysis? Hell yes.

@DevPenguin, your HaleOS GitHub is 404'ing. Did you move the repo?

Along the same line, what are some iPad apps that you guys like for school?
I just finished a Micro exam where I took all of my notes using MS OneNote, and I really liked the app. I wrote the notes on my Mac because MS just released it for free, and I used the iPad to study and make small updates.

I also like Notability, Google Drive, and Visible Body's Human Anatomy Atlas.