Last minute school list help? 3.79 / 33 MCAT, re-applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sovereign0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your overall list of 26 is already good. From the ones you are considering I think any of them are pretty viable additions. I guess you could avoid Drexel, NYMC, GWU since they have so many applicants.

Did you get any interviews/acceptances last cycle? Did you get any feedback on what to improve?

What exactly caused you to not get any acceptances last cycle? Since you're not a resident of California, I'd imagine you'd at least get one from one of your state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Something's probably off if a Fl resident can't generate a single acceptance with a 3.8/33. Maybe it's as simple as having a horrible list of schools to apply to last cycle but whatever it was make damn well sure you have it corrected this time around.

Your overall list of 26 is already good. From the ones you are considering I think any of them are pretty viable additions. I guess you could avoid Drexel, NYMC, GWU since they have so many applicants.

Did you get any interviews/acceptances last cycle? Did you get any feedback on what to improve?

What exactly caused you to not get any acceptances last cycle? Since you're not a resident of California, I'd imagine you'd at least get one from one of your state schools.

Something's probably off if a Fl resident can't generate a single acceptance with a 3.8/33. Maybe it's as simple as having a horrible list of schools to apply to last cycle but whatever it was make damn well sure you have it corrected this time around.

The last cycle was a half-assed attempt at applying to medical school. My school list was no good, but I realized that I wasn't ready yet, and I didn't represent my ECs well on my AMCAS. I only completed my app at reach schools and the two most elite schools in Florida. I was complete at only 18 schools, mostly extreme reaches or poorly chosen school. I took the MCAT in late June, so both my primary and MCAT score suffered as I tried doing both at once, coupled with a time-intensive research internship which extended through my secondaries as well. The secondaries I did complete were delayed as well. I'm not at all surprised I didn't get any interviews.

I'm going all in this time, and my app is much more well-rounded and complete.

As for the school list this cycle, I think I will add the three Chicago schools (Loyola, Rush, Rosy). Do any of you have recommendations for another reach school or two I might have a small chance at?

Last edited:
I suggest:

U VM

ALL FL schools

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

BU

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

USC/Keck

Tulane

Loyola

Creighton

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and CNU.

Any DO program, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

Awesome! Thank you very much Goro.
I suggest:

U VM

ALL FL schools

Miami

St. Louis

Albany

Albert Einstein

Rochester

Rush

Rosy Franklin

BU

Hofstra

NYMC

VCU

EVMS

Wake Forest

Jefferson

Temple

Drexel

Creighton

George Washington

Emory

USC/Keck

Tulane

Loyola

Creighton

Any new MD school. Skip Central MI and CNU.

Any DO program, starting with Nova and LECOM-B

Last edited:
The last cycle was a half-assed attempt at applying to medical school. My school list was no good, but I realized that I wasn't ready yet, and I didn't represent my ECs well on my AMCAS. I only completed my app at reach schools and the two most elite schools in Florida. I was complete at only 18 schools, mostly extreme reaches or poorly chosen school. I took the MCAT in late June, so both my primary and MCAT score suffered as I tried doing both at once, coupled with a time-intensive research internship which extended through my secondaries as well. The secondaries I did complete were delayed as well. I'm not at all surprised I didn't get any interviews.

I'm going all in this time, and my app is much more well-rounded and complete.

As for the school list this cycle, I think I will add the three Chicago schools (Loyola, Rush, Rosy). Do any of you have recommendations for another reach school or two I might have a small chance at?
Wow, that's unfortunate, with your stats it seemed like you should have got an MD acceptance somewhere, but your only applying to top schools explains it.

Your list seems much more reasonable this year and I expect you will land a few IIs. Chicago schools are good. You could try USC or Case Western as a reach.