Late Applicant. 3.9 GPA, 30-35 MCAT, Re-App. Chance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mystifire

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have faced unfortunate circumstances surrounding the submission of my application materials to AMCAS and the inherent delay they have seemed to have in processing applications this cycle. My AMCAS submission was put in line for verification on 8/28/13 and AMCAS is currently 8 weeks behind. At this rate, my projected completion date would be around 10/20-10/25. Assuming I pre-write secondaries and turn them around very quickly, I could have all of those done by November 1st. I am aware this is very late and am wondering how this will affect the competitiveness of my application

Mini-sketch about me: 24 y/o white middle class male. Graduated summa cum laude, 3.9 GPA, in 2011 with a neuro degree from a competitive small liberal arts college. Have done full time clinical research since then with multiple pubs including second author papers. I have a gamut of various clinical experiences, shadowing, volunteering, and leadership experiences. I have strong letters of support from the faculty at my college who got to know me on a very personal basis. My MCAT score is competitive: between 30 and 35.

I applied to two schools last cycle, my state school and an out of state school I have strong ties to. I only interviewed at my state school but was ultimately wait listed without an acceptance. I plan to reapply to these schools as well as the broad range of schools in this list:

Albany Medical College

Albert Einstein College of Medicine

Boston University

Chicago Medical School – Rosalind Franklin University

Drexel University

Eastern Virginia Medical School

George Washington University School of Medicine

Georgetown University School of Medicine

Hofstra North Shore – LIJ School of Medicine

Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Jefferson Medical College

Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

New York Medical College

Rush Medical College

Saint Louis University School of Medicine

Temple University School of Medicine

University of Toledo College of Medicine

Tufts University School of Medicine

Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine

My questions are:

Do I stand a chance at getting it anywhere? Is it worth it to keep going or should I quit now and resubmit ASAP next year's cycle?

I know we don't have crystal balls, but with this years issues surrounding AMCAS verification delays, do you think I am not in as bad of shape as I would be in cycles when AMCAS is running on time? Or am I in worse shape because of the delay?

If I withdraw now, BEFORE MY VERIFICATION, will I be marked as a re-applicant at these schools when I apply next year?

Thank you

*********** do not jump to conclusions based on my previous posting history, this posting is done on behalf of a friend. I am NOT a troll.

Members don't see this ad.

From amcas:
"If you have a processed AMCAS application from a previous application year, you are considered a re-applicant to those previous medical schools. This is regardless of whether or not a secondary application was completed."

so if you do withdraw, you wont be marked as a reapplicant to any school, except for the ones you already applied to last year.

also i get that people are very protective of their MCAT and stuff, but you are in WAMC and your chances will vary depending on if you got a 30 or a 35. 30 is on the lower end of some of these schools ranges, while 35 is near the higher end of some of these schools. so if you really want accurate advice, you might want to just disclose your score.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT somewhere between the 60th and 95th percentile.

Less than half of all applicants submit their AMCAS by July 31 (~44%). About 25% submit in August. It looks like people who submitted 7/31 were just verified yesterday.

If you finish all your secondaries immediately after being verified, you would be around the middle of the pack in terms of complete date. Thats not terribly bad.

Do not apply now. It's just too late. How many people need to tell you that before you waste more money? One worry I have is your MCAT relevancy. Can you still use it in next year's cycle or will it have expired? WAMC => very, very, very low. You have great stats. Great experience. Great everything else except your timing. Try again next year and apply early.

Do not apply now. You're just too late. How many people need to tell you that before you waste more money? One worry I have is your MCAT relevancy. Can you still use it in next year's cycle or will it have expired? WAMC => very, very, very low. You have great stats. Great experience. Great everything else except your timing. Try again next year and apply early.

With the AMCAS delay this year, I would not be surprised if there is another big surge in DO applications. Lots of people will be concerned that their late verification will keep them out, so more might apply DO as a back up rather than risk waiting another year.