MCAT 501/3.9 gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

refresher72

Reaction score
Hi All-

Just got my first MCAT attempt score 501. Current gpa is 3.9 with decent hospital volunteer and clinical shadowing experience. I am planning to take 2 attempt on July 15. Is it worth applying for MD program with the above? or should I wait for my 2nd attempt results? Can I apply with 501 and later update the score if it gets better in the 2nd attempt? Please advise.

Thank You
Viddy

Members don't see this ad.

I don't believe that you will be accepted to any MD school with a 501. If you are sure you want to apply this year, then you should apply in June/July to one school to get the verification out of the way and then add the rest once you get your new score.

More important than the plan for timing, however, is making sure that whatever went wrong last time won't happen again, and with less than 3 months to study that seems like an awfully short amount of time to realize a 10+ point increase. You absolutely don't want to be in the situation of needing to take the MCAT a third time. What are you going to do differently this time?

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. I was not thorough in my test preparation in the first round due to distraction from my course work at college.
College semester will be done next week so want to give one more shot with 2 month uninterrupted prep so I can get the results in time for applying this year. Makes sense?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you. I was not thorough in my test preparation in the first round due to distraction from my course work at college.
College semester will be done next week so want to give one more shot with 2 month uninterrupted prep so I can get the results in time for applying this year. Makes sense?
Theoretically. But uninterrupted needs to mean uninterrupted. No research, minimal volunteering, no job... just buckle down for the MCAT. Monitor practice scores closely and be ready to bail if you're not hitting the mark you need to hit.

Reactions: 1 users
While you are more than your MCAT, you need to show you can keep up with the pace and be similar enough to the applicant pool. You are good for DO with a 501. You should probably think about a throwaway MD strategy until your new score comes in.

Reactions: 1 users
Where is your state of residence ? What are your shadowing, clinical volunteering and non clinical volunteering hours ?