MD & DO Late Mcat or Early Low Mcat? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyeh8bullies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am an Asian (don't rule me out just now) Texas Resident with a 3.97 gpa and took the Mcat twice: 26 and ~65% (waiting for score but 27-28) with decent EC, essays, LOR (in my opinion). I'm primarily looking at Texas schools with DO schools. I strongly believe that if I study just for the Mcat (I've been working 40 hours a week while studying for Mcat previously.), I can get in the 30 ranges (I know some people will disagree, but trust me on this). That being said, I submitted my tmdsas and aacomas on June. I do not know whether I should mention that I plan to take the early August Mcat or do not mention it until my August score comes out in Early September so that my application is processed early? I know that the schools will wait for my latest Mcat before processing my app.

Also, What about my AMCAS application?

I know I made mistakes so please don't criticize me for the sake of criticism. I am open to constructive criticism however and advice. Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Add Dell and UT Rio Grande to your Texas application when possible later this year. You should be fine for DO schools and apply to 10 or more this month.

When you say apply to 10 or more, do you mean MD or DO?

Members don't see this ad :)
Should I not apply to MD schools then? Or should I try to submit AMCAS after my late August MCAT retake and hope for the best?

Hey guys, I am an Asian (don't rule me out just now) Texas Resident with a 3.97 gpa and took the Mcat twice: 26 and ~65% (waiting for score but 27-28) with decent EC, essays, LOR (in my opinion). I'm primarily looking at Texas schools with DO schools. I strongly believe that if I study just for the Mcat (I've been working 40 hours a week while studying for Mcat previously.), I can get in the 30 ranges (I know some people will disagree, but trust me on this). That being said, I submitted my tmdsas and aacomas on June. I do not know whether I should mention that I plan to take the early August Mcat or do not mention it until my August score comes out in Early September so that my application is processed early? I know that the schools will wait for my latest Mcat before processing my app.

Also, What about my AMCAS application?

I know I made mistakes so please don't criticize me for the sake of criticism. I am open to constructive criticism however and advice. Thank you so much.

I would recommend applying to both MD and DO program. Your gpa is excellent and if you feel that you can hit the 30s when you take it in August then it would be good to apply to MD programs. I would make a note of that on your application so that they don't reject it before receiving your latest scores. Apply early to both DO and MD and take the MCAT. September is a bit late so most schools will begin looking for high scores at that point for this reason I would recommend you apply to low/middle tier MD programs to ensure that in September you are still seen as competitive. Best of luck on the MCAT! :)

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think that you'll have much luck with the upper tier of TX schools, but being a Texan, you have to try. I do think that you'll have much better luck with DO schools, starting with TCOM.

I'm not a fan of magic thinking and so can't recommend a retake of MCAT unless you fix whatever deficits you have that is causing you to do so poorly. I suspect that you've plateaued.

@Goro @ChasingRain @Faha Good, honest, constructive advices. Appreciate it. You guys are wonderful SDN contributors. We'll see how this journey unfolds!

and @Goro Do you have any suggestions for DO schools? I've applied to Michigan State, PNWU-COM, TCOM, and LECOM...