Latin or Medical Terminology Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MissKitty131

Reaction score
Hey!

So, looking ahead for my next couple of semesters of undergrad (at a community college pre-transfer), I'm going to be pretty much taking chem, chem, org chem, and more chem, plus some bio and math (as I've already finished all my GE stuff), and I'm realizing I'm going to need to add some "electives" in for unit fluff to maintain my "full-time" student status for financial aid and insurance. So, my question is, would it be beneficial or a complete waste of time and sanity to take a basic Latin or medical terminology class or two in undergrad? Would it help build familiarity with root words and medical terminology before hitting vet school and for having a slightly better idea what the heck is going on during shadowing? ;) Anyone taken a Latin or med terminology class and have input? They sound fun, but like any college class, a lot of work.

Or am I talking crazy and need to just fill in my schedule with easier classes? :bag: lol

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey!

So, looking ahead for my next couple of semesters of undergrad (at a community college pre-transfer), I'm going to be pretty much taking chem, chem, org chem, and more chem, plus some bio and math (as I've already finished all my GE stuff), and I'm realizing I'm going to need to add some "electives" in for unit fluff to maintain my "full-time" student status for financial aid and insurance. So, my question is, would it be beneficial or a complete waste of time and sanity to take a basic Latin or medical terminology class or two in undergrad? Would it help build familiarity with root words and medical terminology before hitting vet school and for having a slightly better idea what the heck is going on during shadowing? ;) Anyone taken a Latin or med terminology class and have input? They sound fun, but like any college class, a lot of work.

Or am I talking crazy and need to just fill in my schedule with easier classes? :bag: lol

Thanks!
If you find those sorts of classes fun, and you just need to add something, go for it. But i really never found that I needed a medical terminology class before working at a vet or when I took comparative mammalian anatomy in undergrad. Everything I needed was taught to me on the fly, and if a school doesn’t require it (only Tuskegee does) then they don’t feel that you need it. It only takes like 30 minutes of sitting down and reading about it to familiarize yourself with the medical terminology you’re going to immediately need. The rest you’ll definitely learn as it becomes needed. Again, if you think you’ll enjoy taking it and it won’t add to your difficult course load then I don’t see a problem. It can only help at that point. But from every current student I’ve talked to, you absolutely won’t be at a disadvantage if you don’t take it. Most people I know who are current students never even took anatomy in undergrad because it just wasn’t offered, and they still don’t feel like it would be a big advantage to take it beforehand.

Unless you have an interest in learning to conjugate verbs and decline nouns or reading the untranslated works of Ovid or other classic Roman authors, skip the Latin courses. You’ll get all that you need from a medical terminology course and probably more.

I say that as someone who took years of Latin and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
VMCVM also requires it now, so if you're thinking of applying here, you'll need it eventually...

I took three years of Latin in middle/high school and really enjoyed it, but like Jess Monster said I wouldn't take it unless you're really interested in learning the language and doing lots of translation. I do think Latin helped with knowing word roots and picking up quickly on what various anatomy and other medical terms mean, but if you're thinking of taking it just for that purpose, a medical terminology class would probably serve you better (and I'm guessing it would be much easier).

However, if you're just looking for something to fill out your schedule I would consider something entirely unrelated to vet med. I minored in psychology just because I was interested in it, and I really enjoyed those classes as a break from all the hard science.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the Lyra - take something you like unrelated to vet med. Something different that works a different part of your brain. You'll have far fewer opportunities to take non-sciency things as time goes on, if you get into vet school.

I took 7 years of Latin (6th grade all the way through high school). I enjoyed it. In my particular field it has actually been helpful because we kind of have our own fancy lingo for a lot of things, but in vet school itself I didn't find it particularly helpful.

Reactions: 1 user
I took an online medical terminology course during my post-bacc program at the University of Vermont, and I have found it very helpful so far in vet school. If you are looking for filler that will actually benefit you, I would recommend it. It really wasn't too difficult (but being online and during winter break, it did take self-motivation), and having a background in the language of medicine means less catch up during vet school - and the more you can minimize that, the better off you'll be since things move pretty quickly!

I'm currently taking an online medical terminology class (needed a 2 hour filler) that is through the language department at my college and is
Medical Terminology: Latin and Greek for Scientists
Credits: 2
This course provides students with the framework and experience required to understand and use scientific and medical terminology.

It is probably my hardest class this semester (I'm not great with languages and have less time to study this class), but I think because it is really emphasizing the prefixes and suffixes that will help to decode medical words and help to remember what a term is if you have forgotten, it will help me to remember things. Oh since I'm taking OChem and Genetics that is saying a lot! I think a class like this is worth it.