Law on expiration of non control rx in GA and CVS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

timrsama

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ideas on how long the prescription expired for non controlled substances? I work for CVS and since we like to hit enter a lot, date written is often missed on data entry. And i see a lot of pharmacist doesn't really pay attention to it when I recheck the refills.

Members don't see this ad.

Federal law for a non-controlled prescriptions says it expires 1 year after its written.

Will you show me that federal law? didn't think it was federal law...I thought the "1 year rule" was more of a company policy to ensure that the patient-prescriber relationship is still intact.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is at least one state that allows 2 years on legend drugs if the doctor specifically designates a 2 year expiration. I forget the state. No federal expiration on legend drugs. No federal expiration on CII. Many PBM contracts won't pay if Rx is over one year old. Some state laws impose 1 year limit.

Federally there is no expiration date on a non-controlled. However, it is the accepted industry standard that it is one year.

my bad, its been a long time since I took the law exam. I easily mix up what is federal and what is state, state law is 1 year in my state.

In Georgia, there is no state law saying non-controlled scripts expire after a year...although most companies have it set in their computer programs that the prescription has expired after a year.