Learning brief biology and chemistry over the summer

CHCOOH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So summer's coming and I'm finished with AP tests. It's my summer before I go off to college. Funny thing is, I feel this burst of motivation to study for something, a motivation I lacked during the school year :p.

I have a strong background in math and history, but not in bio or chem. So, I decided I'd watch a bunch of YouTube videos covering the major concepts of the latter. I'm using crash course and khan academy. I do feel like I'm getting a grasp of the concepts. Plus, I find it more productive than watching TV or playing games, but not as boring as actually looking through a textbook.

Should I continue, or am I wasting my time?

Members don't see this ad.

So summer's coming and I'm finished with AP tests. It's my summer before I go off to college. Funny thing is, I feel this burst of motivation to study for something, a motivation I lacked during the school year :p.

I have a strong background in math and history, but not in bio or chem. So, I decided I'd watch a bunch of YouTube videos covering the major concepts of the latter. I'm using crash course and khan academy. I do feel like I'm getting a grasp of the concepts. Plus, I find it more productive than watching TV or playing games, but not as boring as actually looking through a textbook.

Is CHCOOH a base or an acid? and why??

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The angle of the Hydroxy DANGLE is inversely proportional to the Thump of the CARBON clump. New research at ZOHAN Institute .........cutting edge quantum BOSON stuff....very avante-garde

If you enjoy it I say go for it, there is so much information available online that wasn't available even 5 years ago! Just don't make it into a job and make sure you are having some fun doing other things as well, remember, med schools are looking for well-rounded applicants.

Survivor DO

It cant hurt you, and if you enjoy it. Then go for it, why not!

When I'm learning "for fun", what I usually try to do is watch lectures from college professors as opposed to reading textbooks with the material. It makes it more interesting plus some of the people who give science lectures at schools like Yale, Berkeley, MIT, Hopkins, etc. are freaking geniuses and are fun to listen to.

I do a combination of both reading textbooks and watching lectures. I think it's better than going one way.

P.S. PM me if you need a textbook. I have a lot of PDF copies of textbooks.

Do you guys recommend the same thing for the summer before AP Bio? I haven't had biology since freshman year, so I've been watching some YouTube videos and college lecture to try and refresh. Is there anything else I can do?

I want to ace the class and AP exam. :thumbup:

Do you guys recommend the same thing for the summer before AP Bio? I haven't had biology since freshman year, so I've been watching some YouTube videos and college lecture to try and refresh. Is there anything else I can do?

Start reading Campbell's biology or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
Neither, because CHCOOH isn't an actual compound! :p

...Unless you meant CH3COOH.

I think people are talking about your username.

CH3–C(O)OH, CH3–C(=O)OH, CH3COOH, and CH3CO2H. Any one of those is acceptable.

What is your deal? What kind of row are you trying to cause?

You're a know it all, hush down. I was asking the OP to test his knowledge of chemistry. I don't need some high school kid quoting wikipedia.

Glad to hear, what does your username represent btw?

You don't need to study before the class, I didn't. The first half of AP biology is basically a regular biology class, except the topics go a little more in depth. I wouldn't recommend reading the Campbell Biology yet, because you jump around the book a lot and it'll be a waste of time. In the second half, you'll learn some new stuff like viruses, the immune system, bacteria, biotech, animal form and function, and plants. Remember, they changed the curriculum, so you'll be the second round of guinea pigs. It's not all memorization, so don't try to memorize all the amino acids and their structures or all the intermediate molecules in glycolysis. Learn the concepts, understand them and apply them. For example, for a practice essay in class, we we're given a situation and we had to refer to inflammatory responses, viruses, biochemistry and cells just for one essay!

You're a know it all, hush down. I was asking the OP to test his knowledge of chemistry. I don't need some high school kid quoting wikipedia.

You're much more knowledgeable.

Seriously, you can't even identify an acid.

Says the guy who called me a "know it all".

Why else would you reply? You want to show off for people on here. Do you really think I couldn't have googled it if I didn't know why his username meant?? :idea:... I don't care, just settle down. You're ambition is great and all..but you have a long ways to go and you come off as an actor.

I don't know, but where I was raised, we respect adults, just stop. You're being very rude.

Where I was raised it is unacceptable to call people "know it alls". I'm not even sure if he/she's an adult. Cordial adults rarely call people "know it alls".

Where I was raised it is unacceptable to call people "know it alls". I'm not even sure if he/she's an adult. Cordial adults rarely call people "know it alls".

..what? You got a silver spoon in your mouth kid?

The most I would do is check out some of the topics for your placement exams and brush up so you don't end up in a remedial science class. My school just so happens to have a list of things we should be familiar with before starting. But seriously, other than that, enjoy your summer.

I just have one question, what are you majoring in?

Your inability to maintain a convivial discussion is prodigious. Were you raised in a ghetto?
First off, I hope you were kidding with all of those elaborate words.... Second, everyone calm down lol. It's just hSDN. :)

First off, I hope you were kidding with all of those elaborate words.... Second, everyone calm down lol. It's just hSDN. :)

7nTnr.png

Still on here huh? I don't remember back when I was pre-med..having all of the time in the world to piss medical students online off.

How are your EC's btw? ****ty? Probably, got all this spare time and you spend it online instead of volunteering..you know..before you get your ass kicked in university and have no spare time to volunteer??

:idea:

You all should calm down and hSDN is not about showing people how smart you are. Its all about using your smartness to help others instead of attacking someone. People need to realize that this is only hSDN, if you want to get on here to impress people, you need to reevaluate your life. Cough cough nysegop.

You all should calm down and hSDN is not about showing people how smart you are. Its all about using your smartness to help others instead of attacking someone. People need to realize that this is only hSDN, if you want to get on here to impress people, you need to reevaluate your life. Cough cough nysegop.

I was kind of thinking the same thing.........

Last edited:
Still on here huh? I don't remember back when I was pre-med..having all of the time in the world to piss medical students online off.

How are your EC's btw? ****ty? Probably, got all this spare time and you spend it online instead of volunteering..you know..before you get your ass kicked in university and have no spare time to volunteer??

:idea:

How can we even trust that you're a medical student?

I probably have better ECs than the majority of people on hSDN.

Honestly I highly doubt you're a medical student. I would expect medical students to be a bit more cordial.

There you go again slaughtering fellow hSDNers. You got to get one thing through your head, this is not a battlefield, this is a place to help others and attain valuable information.

And why are you doubting the status of others? Just cause someone dislikes your "jackass-ness" doesn't mean they have to be cordial.

Shouldn't you be studying for med school? (Stated in previous thread that he wanted to get ahead)

Bye bye :)

How can we even trust that you're a medical student?

I probably have better ECs than the majority of people on hSDN.

Honestly I highly doubt you're a medical student. I would expect medical students to be a bit more cordial.
Please stop...you're digging a hole and you sound pretentious

There you go again slaughtering fellow hSDNers. You got to get one thing through your head, this is not a battlefield, this is a place to help others and attain valuable information.

And why are you doubting the status of others? Just cause someone dislikes your "jackass-ness" doesn't mean they have to be cordial.

Shouldn't you be studying for med school? (Stated in previous thread that he wanted to get ahead)

Bye bye :)

No need to use expletives. I will pray for you.

"Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths"
Ephesians 4:29

Some people will never get it. Take care my friend.

:) Ball so hard, nysegop wanna fine me.

:corny:

but seriously, we pullin out twitter pics?
358n8f.jpg

If you think that has an effect on me, you are mistaken.

First of all, you have no clue what the meaning behind those tweets are. Second of all, you are not normal if you say someone's twitter profile picture is not professional.

And lastly, I can say whatever I want when I want. Ain't nobody going to do a thing.

Nysegop,

Just stop, your embarrassing yourself. Take a nap or something, because I hope your not like this as a person. Act your age, and stop acting off your ego.

Hehe. Now he protects his tweets.

And lastly, I can say whatever I want when I want. Ain't nobody going to do a thing.

Tell that to ADCOMs, employers, professors, etc.

If you think that has an effect on me, you are mistaken.

First of all, you have no clue what the meaning behind those tweets are. Second of all, you are not normal if you say someone's twitter profile picture is not professional.

colbert-3d-popcorn.gif

Lol, act like this at a med school interview and you'll be dragged by your tail out the door.

Don't let your ego control you, remember that you still are in high school.

Go study for the MCAT bruh.

Lol, act like this at a med school interview and you'll be dragged by your tail out the door.

Don't let your ego control you, remember that you still are in high school.

Go study for the MCAT bruh.

Call an admissions officer "bruh" and I'm sure you won't be accepted. Believe it or not, ghetto vernacular is unbecoming.

There is a difference in my attitude when I am talking to a ignorant high schooler and a professor, employer ect.