LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For discussion of the school noted above. This includes interview dates, questions, etc. Threads will be merged in here if they are created on their own.

We are doing this to cut down on the traffic of threads so it makes it easier for people to find information about a school.

Members don't see this ad.

woohoo! first post. really hoping to get in here :) definitely in need of some florida weather and definitely a fan of PBL

I agree. I already have Florida weather..which is pretty miserable right now. It is a little better when you are closer to the coast for the breeze.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! If you have any questions about places to stay for interviews and whatnot, or really anything about the school, ask away! Good luck to all of you!!

Hi everyone, I'm a new member of c/o 2012 starting classes in a month and a half. If you have any questions feel free to ask or better yet check out the 2007-2008 discussion forum here.

I know a lot of questions pop up as to what exactly PBL is and if it is right for you. A good place to start is here, a thread about Problem Based Learning (PBL).

Of particular interest to everyone here is my post, a Q&A on the LECOM-B PBL Pathway found here. Basically, I tried compiling the important information found in the LECOM-B 2007-2008 thread into an organized Q&A to add incite into how to approach PBL the best.

Hope this helps some people. Also, draw as much information from current students as possible and I'll add to the document. Current students of LECOM-B are a great help on SDN. A lot of the new guys like me will try our best as we have not started school yet, but there are veterans like nlax30, scpod, and DragonWell in particular that can really help you decide if this school is for you. Good luck!

He guys like I said in the other LECOM-B thread I went to high school at Lakewood Ranch which borders lecoms campus and my parents still live right down the street so if anyone has any questions about the area let me know.

Oh and I am applying I submitted my AACOMAS sunday night so we will see.

Good luck.

I am in love with LECOM-Bradenton...It is me and my wife's top choice, and we're hoping to go there...for those of you that were accepted, is there a HUGE emphasis on the MCAT?? I have a 3.58 overall GPA and a 3.49 science....I was also scoring 27-30 consistently on the MCAT...results come out in two weeks!! We'll see what I ended up with.
Other question: In your interviews, did they ask more (if any) questions based off your primary application or secondary essays?
Thanks to all who answer, and Good Luck to those who start this fall!!!:oops:

I am in love with LECOM-Bradenton...It is me and my wife's top choice, and we're hoping to go there...for those of you that were accepted, is there a HUGE emphasis on the MCAT?? I have a 3.58 overall GPA and a 3.49 science....I was also scoring 27-30 consistently on the MCAT...results come out in two weeks!! We'll see what I ended up with.
Other question: In your interviews, did they ask more (if any) questions based off your primary application or secondary essays?

Hey! It's great to see that you're applying and I'm hoping your results come back in your favor on the MCAT.

When I applied I had a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.06 SciGPA and a 27N on my MCAT. With that GPA and around a 27-ish, applying early, I would say you'll probably get an interview.

As for the interview itself, it was really laid back. I don't remember the questions themselves, but I can tell you that it was closed-file. They had no access to my stats and had no prior knowledge to me when I walked into the room. I remember them specifically asking me a situational question: "If you're on the renal systems during PBL and everyone is trying to breeze through it, how do you ensure that you still learn the information?" It was a pretty easy question to answer. If you don't know the answer, I'd read up on what PBL is exactly and how people learn from it. That'll help (see PBLDO's Q&A). They also made us read a short medical passage and answer a question about it, but it was really simple. I remember getting nervous over nothing.

All in all I would say if you really love the school then get your stuff in ASAP. Get your primary sent once your scores come in and then get your secondary done the next day, if not that night. Keep us posted on how you do and good luck with everything!

Will they even look at my application with a low MCAT that I'm retaking in July or August? I got a 22 and my gpa is 3.7 overalll with a 3.9 in the sciences. Do they give priority to FL residents? If so, how much?

Last edited:

BCLumas' post is pretty accurate, with those stats and applying early you will receive an interview with near certainty. My interview was closed as well, in fact everyone I've spoken to had a closed interview but I'm not 100% sure they are all that way. Closed of course means the people interviewing you know absolutely nothing about you. No GPA, no MCAT, no personal statement, nada.

Certainly read up on PBL as BCLumas indicated, they seem to almost try and sell it to you during the interview day, but will undoubtedly ask you during your interview why you feel you are suited for this type of curriculum, in one form or another. It is very laid back and for me not the least bit stressful. It was my very first medical school interview so I had extra pressure to nail it but they make the day go smoothly.

One additional piece of advice I can give you is to check out the interview feedback on SDN for LECOM-B found here. People list their thoughts of the school and actual questions they recieved during the interview, very helpful. In fact, I recommend checking it out for all other schools you are interested in or receive interviews for. At the top of the screen just click Databases > Osteopathic Medical School (under first subtitle Interview Feedback) > The school of your choice. Invaluable information courtesy of SDN!

Finally the short medical passage BCLumas was talking about for me was a 2 page read on cholesterol. It included information about LDL vs. HDL, statins and other medications used to treat cholesterol, and a few other facts, your passage will definitely be different, but a very easy read. After your 30 minute 2 on 1 interview they will ask you to summarize the article. Very simple. Can't think of much more at this point but keep the questions coming, I've already received a lot of help from the older people and we're all willing to pay it forward.

Will they even look at my application with a low MCAT that I'm retaking? I got a 24 and my gpa is 3.75 overalll with a 3.9 in the sciences. I'm submitting this week but won't retake the MCAT until August. Do they give priority to FL residents? If so, how much?

They will look at your application even with the low MCAT. Will they give you an interview until you raise the score? Maybe, maybe not. A 24 is not that bad of a score, and your GPA certainly helps make up for that. Don't be discouraged if they don't offer you the interview immediately, it's a long process for the applicant and for the school as well. Getting your application in earlier is always a positive, you are retaking the MCAT in August and that is still early, I didn't interview until mid-November and they still had plenty of seats at that point, so just do your best to raise the MCAT score you are still well in the game.

Do they give priority to FL residents? I would say no. The school is only about 5 years old and they just graduated their first class, c/o 2008 (obviously). I would say the majority of students are actually out of state. The dean of the school is from Ohio, as well as many of the employees I spoke to during my interview day oddly enough (of course that does not represent the majority). If you don't already know, we are a branch campus of the main campus in Erie, Pennsylvania. You will find students on SDN that hail from NY, OH, PA, FL, IL, the list goes on. I don't believe it is a state funded school either, so the preference to FL residents, if any at all, is negligible.

I'm excited because my undergrad was nearly all PBL at PSU. I hope that makes me a more attractive applicant! I actually talk about PBL and how it developed my problem solving and leadership skills, in addition to the grand scale problems we were given in my personal statement. Dang I hope I get an interview there. My gpa is mediocre (around a 3.35 and a 3.19 science) and my mcat is a 25o now, which will hopefully go to my original test scores of a 36 after a retake....Don't ask me how I dropped so much.

BCLumas, it'd be cool to get in there and have someone to watch the games with! I went to a PSU alumni thing in Tallahassee. The police chief of tallahassee is a PSU alum. We all sat there having beers and watching a game last fall. It was interesting...

Thanks for all of your replies!!! I submitted my AACOMAS application a week and a half ago, so I'm definitely on the earlier side...I'm getting excited!! Now the waiting game begins...and from what I hear, it is the best!;) I'll for sure keep everyone posted as things begin to materialize! Maybe I'll get to sit in on one of YOUR PBL sessions on my interview!:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Another tip for your interviews, last year they asked the same list of questions to everyone. They asked a few follow up questions to my responses also. In fact they had a form that I remember seeing and they check off your scores on those answers right there. (a little intimidating when you see them moving their hands around) Anyways, that list is posted somewhere on here so find it and be familiar with how you would answer the questions. Don't memorize an answer, just have some idea of what you would say (BTW, LECOM Erie uses the same list).

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

I'm excited because my undergrad was nearly all PBL at PSU. I hope that makes me a more attractive applicant! I actually talk about PBL and how it developed my problem solving and leadership skills, in addition to the grand scale problems we were given in my personal statement. Dang I hope I get an interview there. My gpa is mediocre (around a 3.35 and a 3.19 science) and my mcat is a 25o now, which will hopefully go to my original test scores of a 36 after a retake....Don't ask me how I dropped so much.

BCLumas, it'd be cool to get in there and have someone to watch the games with! I went to a PSU alumni thing in Tallahassee. The police chief of tallahassee is a PSU alum. We all sat there having beers and watching a game last fall. It was interesting...

Damn straight! I'm not the A-typical Happy Valley Party Guy, but I'm not one to shy away from a few Yuengling's and a good Penn State football game. Unfortunately we picked up a few thugs in some of our recent classes and have had some players suspended. I'm still gonna watch, but I don't know how good we'll be. Hell, I'm gonna make sure I get extra studying done Friday night so I can watch football on the weekends. I love sports.

On a medical note, PBLDO is awesome. He can articulate everything that I think about. Just keep your head up and never lose focus. Keep the questions coming 'cause we love to help!

I'm not crazy happy valley party guy either, but going to a different school now makes me realize what I'm missing. I've been to a lot of college football games and few, if any, have the atmosphere of a PSU game..even when we suck. Every school is picking up thugs lately. It doesn't really surprise me much.

The good thing is that you can get yuengling in Florida since there is a brewery in tampa.

Bump for current applicants!

I kind of suspect we'll have a dead period while everyone is waiting for things like verification and secondaries.

Hey all!! I had a question for those that are starting up this fall...I was curious as to what day of the week each of you interviewed on?? Once an interview is extended do you get options of when you get to go? Thanks so much in advance!! :D

I interviewed on a Tuesday. I think they gave me like 3 or 4 days, but I may have that mixed up with a different school.

Hey all!! I had a question for those that are starting up this fall...I was curious as to what day of the week each of you interviewed on?? Once an interview is extended do you get options of when you get to go? Thanks so much in advance!! :D

My interview was Friday November 9th, 2007. Once the interview is extended you do get options of when you get to go. I remember when Heather (an admissions person at LECOM-B) called me on my cell to extend the invitation. It was my first interview offer and I was ecstatic to get it. Basically she said congratulations when do you want to do it? At the time I was thinking tomorrow, but me being from Ohio that really wasn't that practical so she suggested November 9th and I said absolutely. If later on after I put some thought into it I could have rescheduled very easily.

In fact, I remember getting an interview in December for LECOM-E in Erie, PA (the main campus). The day of my interview I was driving in a snow storm and about an hour before I was supposed to be there I called and said it was impossible for me to make it today. I was worried I missed out on a chance at the school but they said no problem we will reschedule later. I ended up going a few weeks later and being accepted there too.

Point is don't worry, the admissions staff at LECOM is very friendly and very flexible. If you are lucky enough to receive an interview you can schedule it for whatever date you wish probably and change it later if necessary provided you give enough notice or if there is some emergency.

Good luck!

Yes they do and Heather (the admin for admissions) is really nice to deal with.

So everyone, I got my MCAT score today...I got a 26T, which is right below my average. I guess I smoked the writing! Too bad it wasn't the PS!!;) My application is in...do you all think I should re-take the MCAT, or should I role the dice and go for it early???

Last edited:
So everyone, I got my MCAT score today...I got a 26T, which is right below my average. I guess I smoked the writing! Too bad it wasn't the PS!!;) My application is in...do you all think I should re-take the MCAT, or should I role the dice and go for it early???

I wasn't sure about my MCAT score at the time either so I sent in all my application material and notified the schools on my application that I was re-taking the MCAT. I was offered an interview which led to the acceptance before the scheduled retake. Needless to say I never took the test again.

My suggestion? Go for it early. You have everything in, thats great. I'm assuming you have a strong GPA/ECs/LORs to make you confident enough with that 26T. It's not a terrible score, you could always schedule a retake in September or January and have it there if you need it, cancel it if you don't. If you have the time and money it's always a good idea to try and strengthen your application, but if you can't guarantee a better score it might backfire.

EDIT: I don't want to sound pessimistic. A 26T is a pretty solid score, just won't guarantee you acceptance. If you get your secondary application in soon I'm confident you will receive an interview with that score.

It's still plenty early for the secondary applications but if any of you are interested in getting a head start on the essays you will have to write I thought I would post the secondary application essay questions for c/o 2012. I can't guarantee they will be the same for you but my bet is they are.

1. Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

2. Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, including extracurricular school and community activities.

Enjoy and good luck.

Hey everyone! Just thought I would get this forum back in discussion...I was wondering if anybody has received an e-mail FROM Bradenton yet?? I talked to them on Friday and was told I needed to wait until I had heard from them before submitting the secondary...

On an exciting note, I was mailed out on June 30th from AACOMAS, and I found out that my GPA was much better than expected...I ended up having a 3.62 overall and a 3.60 science!! Wahoo! (Sorry, I'm definitely not trying to brag...I was just excited because I hope that increases my chances for an interview at LECOM-B!!:love:)

Anyway, I'll let everyone know when I hear from the campus, as my secondary for LECOM-B is nearly complete! Lata!!

When I applied I had a 3.2 cGPA and a 3.06 SciGPA and a 27N on my MCAT. With that GPA and around a 27-ish, applying early, I would say you'll probably get an interview.

Hi-question for you.

I'm looking at LECOM-B because I've got family in FL (even though I'm a VA resident). I noticed you posted your GPA and I was wondering if their policy has changed you applied? In the guidebook AACOM puts out, LECOM-B says they require a minimum 3.4 GPA. Is that a hard and fast rule? My GPA is a wee bit off of that.

And how many hours of class per day do you guys have? I know it's PBL and hence more time-intensive, but I'm curious. (yeah, I know I'm being lazy and not using the search function)

It's still plenty early for the secondary applications but if any of you are interested in getting a head start on the essays you will have to write I thought I would post the secondary application essay questions for c/o 2012. I can't guarantee they will be the same for you but my bet is they are.

1. Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician.

2. Explain or describe any clinical and/or health related experiences you have had, including extracurricular school and community activities.

Enjoy and good luck.
wasn't there a character/word limit on those essays?

Just to give everyone some hope....I got an interview last year at LECOM-Erie with a 19Q. Its all about the rest of your app. Just be positive and it will work. GOOD LUCK!

Just to give everyone some hope....I got an interview last year at LECOM-Erie with a 19Q. Its all about the rest of your app. Just be positive and it will work. GOOD LUCK!

How early did you apply? and did you get accepted?

How early did you apply? and did you get accepted?

surprisingly not really that early....I think submitted AACOMAS in early August. I got accepted but I had to defer because I was finishing my Master's first.

Hi-question for you.

I'm looking at LECOM-B because I've got family in FL (even though I'm a VA resident). I noticed you posted your GPA and I was wondering if their policy has changed you applied? In the guidebook AACOM puts out, LECOM-B says they require a minimum 3.4 GPA. Is that a hard and fast rule? My GPA is a wee bit off of that.

And how many hours of class per day do you guys have? I know it's PBL and hence more time-intensive, but I'm curious. (yeah, I know I'm being lazy and not using the search function)

I just went on LECOMs website and found this: Applicants must have a minimum 2.7 science grade point average. Successful candidates typically have both science and overall grade point averages of 3.2 or above.

That being said, take a check at my GPA.. it was below 3.2

I just went on LECOMs website and found this: Applicants must have a minimum 2.7 science grade point average. Successful candidates typically have both science and overall grade point averages of 3.2 or above.

That being said, take a check at my GPA.. it was below 3.2

That quote from the website hasn't been updated in four years. The average GPA and MCAT, however, has risen quite a bit in that time. There is really no "firm" cutoff, but it's getting tougher to get in every year because the competition is quite strong.

So I'm filling out this secondary and realize that the questions are not what I expected. In the e-mail invite they say:

Be prepared to answer two essay questions: "Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician", "Explain or describe any clinical and/or health-related experience you have had, including extracurricular school or community activities."

But then in the app, the second prompt is:

2. Why are you interested in attending the LECOM College of Medicine to earn the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? *Required

I'm so confused, why would their e-mail tell you one thing and then their app say another? :eek:

That quote from the website hasn't been updated in four years. The average GPA and MCAT, however, has risen quite a bit in that time. There is really no "firm" cutoff, but it's getting tougher to get in every year because the competition is quite strong.

Ok, that makes more sense. The AACOM guidebook has this quote, under secondary app requirements:

"Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited
college or university. Cumulative GPA
of 3.4
; MCAT Medical College Admissions Test is
required. MCAT scores older than three years are
not accepted. Online supplemental application
and $50 fee. Letters of recommendation from a
premedical or prehealth committee, or two letters
from science professors. Letter of recommendation
from a non-related osteopathic physician."

I suppose I could just call them and ask if it's a hard and fast rule, or if they're just trying to dissuade people with 2.75's from applying.

Ok, that makes more sense. The AACOM guidebook has this quote, under secondary app requirements:

"Undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited
college or university. Cumulative GPA
of 3.4; MCAT Medical College Admissions Test is
required. MCAT scores older than three years are
not accepted. Online supplemental application
and $50 fee. Letters of recommendation from a
premedical or prehealth committee, or two letters
from science professors. Letter of recommendation
from a non-related osteopathic physician."

I suppose I could just call them and ask if it's a hard and fast rule, or if they're just trying to dissuade people with 2.75's from applying.

I think it also says you have to have MCAT of 25 or over and i don't. Otherwise my application is quite strong for them. is it over for me?

So I'm filling out this secondary and realize that the questions are not what I expected. In the e-mail invite they say:

Be prepared to answer two essay questions: "Write a personal essay describing yourself and the qualities you possess which will make you a successful osteopathic physician", "Explain or describe any clinical and/or health-related experience you have had, including extracurricular school or community activities."

But then in the app, the second prompt is:

2. Why are you interested in attending the LECOM College of Medicine to earn the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine? *Required

I'm so confused, why would their e-mail tell you one thing and then their app say another? :eek:

Others contacted the school and were told to do the question within the application. This makes sense, as the email is a secondary source.

has anyone been able to submit? i keep getting an error! i called them, and apparently they "know of the issue," but i didn't get much more information from them. :confused:

has anyone been able to submit? i keep getting an error! i called them, and apparently they "know of the issue," but i didn't get much more information from them. :confused:

I also got a error message .. when i tried to submit the lecom secondary.. I got a email saying that I should contact the admission office.. so i did .. no reply yet.. I will call tomorrow..

what did they tell when u call them..

thanks much

Hi-question for you.

Regardless of what you hear or read, there is no "hard and fast rule" concerning one's GPA or MCAT score. Some numbers may be thrown up as cut-offs in the interest of acquiring more competitive candidates and discouraging people with poorer scores from applying but that is not to say you have no chance of getting in with a less than X GPA or MCAT.

As for the question of how many hours of class per day we have, that varies depending on the circumstances. And yes, a simple search will yield more than you want to know on the subject. As posted earlier in the thread I recommend starting with the Q&A on the LECOM-B PBL Pathway found here.

To answer your question however, 3 PBL sessions per week, OMM lecture, and clinical exam lecture. Total time spent in class per week is about 11 hours after anatomy.

Sheesh, I am a little turned off at this school atm. I was totally excited to receive their secondary but it has been a total mess.

1. Essay prompt in e-mail did not match essay prompt in application
2. Went to submit app last week - payment failed
3. Called and was told to send a check in for payment because payment option not working
4. Could not send letters electronically via interfolio as of Friday because LECOM has not opened their submission window for this year
5. Got e-mail today telling me to re-submit my entire app. When I pulled it up - it was BLANK - :eek: everything but my name and address had not been saved.
6. Filled it out again, but can not submit because only option for payment is CC...they told me to send a check last week.

I've been on the phone with them so often that Heather knows my name now. What a pain in the rear. I was excited about this school but after this I am lukewarm at best.

Sheesh, I am a little turned off at this school atm. I was totally excited to receive their secondary but it has been a total mess.

1. Essay prompt in e-mail did not match essay prompt in application
2. Went to submit app last week - payment failed
3. Called and was told to send a check in for payment because payment option not working
4. Could not send letters electronically via interfolio as of Friday because LECOM has not opened their submission window for this year
5. Got e-mail today telling me to re-submit my entire app. When I pulled it up - it was BLANK - :eek: everything but my name and address had not been saved.
6. Filled it out again, but can not submit because only option for payment is CC...they told me to send a check last week.

I've been on the phone with them so often that Heather knows my name now. What a pain in the rear. I was excited about this school but after this I am lukewarm at best.

i've had the same experiences, minus interfolio, since i'm using virtualevals through a committee. but, in their defense, they are trying a new interface/system, so hopefully they will work out all of the kinks soon. i finally paid online via cc, but i don't know which school that payment went toward since it wasn't within any of my applications, it was just a general link in my portal and i've sent an app to lecom-b AND lecom-e. i'm trying to get that sorted out, but i'm having no luck so far.

How were you guys contacted to submit secondaries?

If you aren't contacted does that mean they are interested in you (AKA rejection), or did I not get one because I said i was going to retake the MCAT?

You will get an e-mail with a link to the portal. Good luck!

Ugh is it because my MCAT is low and I said I'm retaking? My gpa is good. What is everyone's stats like that got secondaries?

First, When were you complete and sent out? Both LECOM's are under a new system and are having issues with it. My guess (only a guess) is that it is delaying secondaries being sent out.

Second, Neither LECOM-E or LECOM-B screen for secondaries. That is, everyone will get a secondary. So, my guess is that they are just all running behind. Give it some time:)

First, When were you complete and sent out? Both LECOM's are under a new system and are having issues with it. My guess (only a guess) is that it is delaying secondaries being sent out.

Second, Neither LECOM-E or LECOM-B screen for secondaries. That is, everyone will get a secondary. So, my guess is that they are just all running behind. Give it some time:)
Ah I was wondering about that, thanks. I submitted my application to AACOMAS on 6/16, and don't think they got my transcripts for another two weeks, although AMCAS got them a week and a half before thaty and they were requested together. My AACOMAS still does not say verified or anything; do you think that is the problem? When were you verified?

Would you be so kind as to post the secondaries from LECOM-B?

based on suggestions for LECOM's c/o 2012 (i asked in their thread), i went ahead and submitted my LECOM-B application through the portal. they all said to go for it, and i wanted to get it in ASAP, especially since mcat round 2 is coming up very soon. so, it's your call, but you can choose to submit now :)