LECOM-Erie Overview for those curious

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SurfinginPA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
LECOM-Erie - let me start by saying this - I was happy that they accepted me and am appreciative for being in medical school but being a 2nd year now and looking back at my selection I truly regret picking this school. There aren't too many in depth reviews on LECOM-erie and reason probably being many of the students are probably scared to speak their minds for fear of the administration. alright here ya go...

Education: The education here is taught toward the COMLEX - almost too much so in my opinion. They are EXTREMELY concerned about you passing boards but in comes across more for the appearance of the school's reputation rather than actually caring about their students. Anatomy is VERY well taught here and are some of the best professors at LECOM...physiology is awful, just plain bad, immuno is awful and people still don't know it very well. micro is OK but you miss some of the basics because you are rushed through the first micro course early in core your first semester. pharm. is awful and you are pretty much reduced to learning it on your own and nitpicking a few things here and there from certain lectures. biochem is OK but again I feel it is not taught as well as it should be if you are looking to do well on USMLE (not so much COMLEX). Systems --> Neuro (so-so but too rushed and crammed); cardio --> WELL TAUGHT; respiratory --> not well taught; renal --> so-so (physio is involved a fair amount in renal so hence poorly taught in that regard which affects learning the other aspects); haven't taken GI, derm, or endocrine so can't speak to those yet.

OMM is HIGHLY focused on at Lecom-Erie -- you have lab EVERY wednesday with a POSSIBLE practical usually every other week and its random - which becomes highly annoying for those who don't get called towards the end and very frustrating. but, works out well for those who go first and then don't have to study for the other ones until the next round of people get called...again many students look at this as unfair and a very inefficient way of testing but it is what it is. extremely annoying class and lab when you are barraged with tests and quizzes all the time in your typical classes...you basically waste a night of studying for OMM on tuesday nights if you can get a practical on wednesday.

Administration: The administration is by far my biggest complaint and many student's will agree (not all of course). There is a rift between the administration and students. They say they work for their students but the fact is they care more about their own reputation then they do about their students. It is ALL about the LECOM brandname. They rule with an iron fist and work by scaring their students into doing things out of fear. Don't even get me started on Clinical Ed's lack of helpfulness when it comes to picking rotations...yeh yeh we get to pick our rotations in a lot of different places yada yada...but when you go through the actual rotation picking process -- the process can be an absolute nightmare for some people and becomes very cumbersome.

There is a dress code and its not awful...but does become sometimes annoying especially when you have to change out of your dress clothes into anatomy/lab clothes and then back into dress clothes. just becomes a nuisance on some days.

Security is UNBELIEVABLE! Think badging in everywhere (in and out), no ID badge and a test on that day - SORRY - go get your ID badge. They don't care if they have seen you a million times before. They take their jobs WAY to seriously...whether this from the administration or the security - who knows but it is ridiculous. Oh yeh, studying late at night in the freezer of their cafeteria - you are not allowed to wear your hoodie up even after hours (dress code doesn't apply after 5:30 during weekdays).

Rumors also circulate that they manipulate grades. Some people think that if you are borderline passing but you earn a barely passing grade that they actually will fail you...say you earned a 70 or 71 - barely passing. You get your score report and somehow you failed according to the score report...many people have asked to then see their scantron or quizzes or whatever to review and they are DENIED being able to look at them. Fortunately, I have not cut it this close but this has happened to a few of my friends...there are multiple other occasions where it appears they manipulate grades to their liking...which just unnerves some people. Not saying its definitely true but yeh.

They run the school like a business - I know they are not a "for profit" med school but its hard to describe unless you go here the feel you get when you are here. Some people may like that feeling and some may not. You feel like you are being churned out as a "foot-soldier" in the medical field rather than someone who can be different and go above and beyond...that is not to say you can't but sometimes you just get that feeling.

Hmmm, lets see what else - tests are usually every Monday - so pretty much destroys your weekends if your in LDP pathway. LECOM is kind of wasting your time when you could be using that time instead for studying. LDP gets essentially 2 weeks to study for boards without classes being involved...so that sort of stinks for some people.

I could go on and on - there are just too many things to honestly write down...it boils down to the school feels very oppressive and administration is not very friendly. education is so-so - Yes a lot of people PASS their boards -- but I would hope you would PASS...they don't say how well people do on their boards though openly. I would hope the majority don't just barely pass.

I am sure I will get flamed by some people as being a disgruntled med student or whatever but fact is I appreciate LECOM-erie for accepting me and giving me the opportunity...they are oppressive, multiple courses are taught very very poorly, high turnover of staff, administration is not very friendly or helpful (clin ed is almost non-existent in rotation picking and very unfriendly in that regard), run like a business, tests and quizzes basically at least every other day (obviously not all the time but 90%). Again, believe me or not - doesn't matter to me but just wish someone had put this sort of information out there before I had made my decision on lecom because I would have 100% chosen somewhere else or not gone to med school. I will follow this all up with that I feel I have learned a lot and have been taught certain things very well but major holes/gaps in a fair amount of topics/subjects.

again, take my advice for what its worth - i know some people LOVE LECOM and some people absolutely despise it. I am more in the middle but lean more away from the love of LECOM. I just can't take the oppressive feeling of the school and the way many of the classes are taught. Hard to describe unless your here. feel free to ask me a direct question and I can try to answer it.

Members don't see this ad.

LECOM and Touro are the two names that suck the most, year after year. All they want to do is EXPAND, EXPAND, EXPAND their franchise for more revenue.

And why does Touro look like this? HORRIBLE IMAGE. Touro is not short on cash because they've been buying up other schools.

LECOM-Erie - let me start by saying this - I was happy that they accepted me and am appreciative for being in medical school but being a 2nd year now and looking back at my selection I truly regret picking this school. There aren't too many in depth reviews on LECOM-erie and reason probably being many of the students are probably scared to speak their minds for fear of the administration. alright here ya go...

Education: The education here is taught toward the COMLEX - almost too much so in my opinion. They are EXTREMELY concerned about you passing boards but in comes across more for the appearance of the school's reputation rather than actually caring about their students. Anatomy is VERY well taught here and are some of the best professors at LECOM...physiology is awful, just plain bad, immuno is awful and people still don't know it very well. micro is OK but you miss some of the basics because you are rushed through the first micro course early in core your first semester. pharm. is awful and you are pretty much reduced to learning it on your own and nitpicking a few things here and there from certain lectures. biochem is OK but again I feel it is not taught as well as it should be if you are looking to do well on USMLE (not so much COMLEX). Systems --> Neuro (so-so but too rushed and crammed); cardio --> WELL TAUGHT; respiratory --> not well taught; renal --> so-so (physio is involved a fair amount in renal so hence poorly taught in that regard which affects learning the other aspects); haven't taken GI, derm, or endocrine so can't speak to those yet.

Agreed the education is dictated by the COMLEX, but that is no different than any other school (high school teaching to the SAT, allopathic schools teaching to the USMLE). In addition, every school is concerned with board pass rates because its something that many students use to decide what schools to apply to. You may see it as more towards reputation, but it is in both yours and the school's best interests to see you pass the boards and to get a competitive residency.

As for rushing the core science classes, they are meant as overviews so that when you see the material again in systems you can look back/remember what you were taught earlier. Yes, there are some courses that are more well taught than others but I would venture to say that such a thing is the norm (every school has its good and bad courses). As with any other coursework if you think you aren't getting much from lectures you teach yourself (which you will have to do during 3rd and 4th year because there aren't any lectures).

OMM is HIGHLY focused on at Lecom-Erie -- you have lab EVERY wednesday with a POSSIBLE practical usually every other week and its random - which becomes highly annoying for those who don't get called towards the end and very frustrating. but, works out well for those who go first and then don't have to study for the other ones until the next round of people get called...again many students look at this as unfair and a very inefficient way of testing but it is what it is. extremely annoying class and lab when you are barraged with tests and quizzes all the time in your typical classes...you basically waste a night of studying for OMM on tuesday nights if you can get a practical on wednesday.

Honestly, one day a week for OMM isn't that much and LECOM students do fairly well on both the OMM content in the boards and the OMM comprehensive shelf which you take 2nd year. Yes, it stinks having to study for the practicals but you learn the techniques well and don't have to kill yourself when studying techniques for the PE. Bottom line it's a class just like any other and if you go to an osteopathic school it's what you signed up for.

Administration: The administration is by far my biggest complaint and many student's will agree (not all of course). There is a rift between the administration and students. They say they work for their students but the fact is they care more about their own reputation then they do about their students. It is ALL about the LECOM brandname. They rule with an iron fist and work by scaring their students into doing things out of fear. Don't even get me started on Clinical Ed's lack of helpfulness when it comes to picking rotations...yeh yeh we get to pick our rotations in a lot of different places yada yada...but when you go through the actual rotation picking process -- the process can be an absolute nightmare for some people and becomes very cumbersome.

There is a dress code and its not awful...but does become sometimes annoying especially when you have to change out of your dress clothes into anatomy/lab clothes and then back into dress clothes. just becomes a nuisance on some days.

The administration is the way it is. If you do what you are supposed to do (pass your classes, go to class, wear your shirt and tie) and stay under the radar then it isn't really an issue. They do care very much about LECOM looking good because it is the largest medical school in the country and reputation does tend to mean something when we apply to residencies.

Selecting rotations is a pain, but in the end everyone gets some of what they want and some of what they have to concede.

Security is UNBELIEVABLE! Think badging in everywhere (in and out), no ID badge and a test on that day - SORRY - go get your ID badge. They don't care if they have seen you a million times before. They take their jobs WAY to seriously...whether this from the administration or the security - who knows but it is ridiculous. Oh yeh, studying late at night in the freezer of their cafeteria - you are not allowed to wear your hoodie up even after hours (dress code doesn't apply after 5:30 during weekdays).

When you start rotations your are often given IDs that are required to get around the hospital (i.e. get in to places) . If you don't have your ID then you can't work. It sounds like a pain to have to remember an ID but it gets you in the habit of remembering it.

Also, if you don't like studying in the cafeteria (I never could), you have the option of the "coffee shop" or personal favorites of mine like starbucks, tim hortons, etc (where you can get real coffee....and cake pops :D )

Rumors also circulate that they manipulate grades. Some people think that if you are borderline passing but you earn a barely passing grade that they actually will fail you...say you earned a 70 or 71 - barely passing. You get your score report and somehow you failed according to the score report...many people have asked to then see their scantron or quizzes or whatever to review and they are DENIED being able to look at them. Fortunately, I have not cut it this close but this has happened to a few of my friends...there are multiple other occasions where it appears they manipulate grades to their liking...which just unnerves some people. Not saying its definitely true but yeh.

I don't know about grade modifications or manipulations but the reason they don't want you to have your scantrons is to prevent post-test modification. I would assume that you are still able to see the tests to go over the questions afterwards and many times students in my class were able to get questions dropped that way.

They run the school like a business - I know they are not a "for profit" med school but its hard to describe unless you go here the feel you get when you are here. Some people may like that feeling and some may not. You feel like you are being churned out as a "foot-soldier" in the medical field rather than someone who can be different and go above and beyond...that is not to say you can't but sometimes you just get that feeling.

Medical school is like any other school - you go to class, go home, learn some stuff, and take a test. Whether we like it or not it is a business. When you go out on rotations you will be studying on your own, working with attendings and residents, and you will be able to "shine" on your own. I looked at the first two years as a formality. Once you get past them the real medicine begins. :cool:

Hmmm, lets see what else - tests are usually every Monday - so pretty much destroys your weekends if your in LDP pathway. LECOM is kind of wasting your time when you could be using that time instead for studying. LDP gets essentially 2 weeks to study for boards without classes being involved...so that sort of stinks for some people.

I actually enjoyed having that extra time to study but if you really want your weekends to yourself then study all week and just skim over/review stuff on sunday before the exam. The plus side is that it makes things predictable which is a good thing when planning vacations/home visits.

You will soon find out that any amount of time can be not enough or too much when studying for COMLEX. The best way to study is learn the material well during systems and use board study materials while learning the material for class. That way those two weeks is just for general and high yield review. Also, doing question banks like Kaplan and COMBANK during systems can help you get in the mindset for boards.

I could go on and on - there are just too many things to honestly write down...it boils down to the school feels very oppressive and administration is not very friendly. education is so-so - Yes a lot of people PASS their boards -- but I would hope you would PASS...they don't say how well people do on their boards though openly. I would hope the majority don't just barely pass.

You will get a lecture at some point where they graph the scores of everyone the year before and compare the last few years worth of classes. For the most part people pass and the averages are usually just above the national mean (500 on COMLEX). Let's just say boards aren't as important as everyone makes them out to be.

I am sure I will get flamed by some people as being a disgruntled med student or whatever but fact is I appreciate LECOM-erie for accepting me and giving me the opportunity...they are oppressive, multiple courses are taught very very poorly, high turnover of staff, administration is not very friendly or helpful (clin ed is almost non-existent in rotation picking and very unfriendly in that regard), run like a business, tests and quizzes basically at least every other day (obviously not all the time but 90%). Again, believe me or not - doesn't matter to me but just wish someone had put this sort of information out there before I had made my decision on lecom because I would have 100% chosen somewhere else or not gone to med school. I will follow this all up with that I feel I have learned a lot and have been taught certain things very well but major holes/gaps in a fair amount of topics/subjects.

Honestly at times I felt the same way too but school is school. You will be asked many times how your education is at LECOM and the problem is that we won't know because we didn't go elsewhere. On rotations you meet students from other schools who have gripes and complaints about their schools just like we do. Yes, there are some rules/regulations that are unique to LECOM, but nothing that would hinder your education. The fact is that medical school is driven partly by the students. I knew after a few lectures that I would have to learn a few subjects myself so I took the time to really buckle down and study. I am sure that everyone has had undergrad courses that are the same way and its no different. It will be up to you to "plug your gaps" in your knowledge base because you will need to use this info in the future.

All the time when out on rotations I hear from attendings how intelligent and well-prepared LECOM students are and how much the doctors like having us rotate with them (when compared to other DO and MD schools). They don't get paid to say this and they are under no obligation to take students. This tends to make me feel better and realize that my education was just as good if not better than the education that others receive. :)

again, take my advice for what its worth - i know some people LOVE LECOM and some people absolutely despise it. I am more in the middle but lean more away from the love of LECOM. I just can't take the oppressive feeling of the school and the way many of the classes are taught. Hard to describe unless your here. feel free to ask me a direct question and I can try to answer it.

I don't LOVE LECOM and I don't despise it either. It is a means to an end. We all came to medical school to be physicians. You as a student will be in charge of your education and some people would like more guidance than others. Looking back on things, the first two years weren't my favorite times of my life, but they are a necessary evil just as they are for any medical student. Once you're on rotations and pulling 80 hour weeks on a medicine service you'll actually wish you were back in a lecture hall listening to lecture (playing minecraft) instead of power-chugging coffee and feeling like death warmed over....but it is all worth it if medicine is for you (insert rainbows, puppies, flowers, etc here).

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, sounds like maybe you should have picked a different pathway, maybe ISP or PBL. I am currently only accepted to LECOM-Erie (PBL), it isn't my top choice, but there are mitigating factors involved, so I'm taking the acceptance, unless I get into a different school. It sounds to me like you think you could do better on your own, so maybe you can maybe you can't, either way, you're in med school, and you will finish, you will pass your tests, and you will get a residency... be thankful you're not in the Caribbean and those things would be questionable!

I go to LECOM-Bradenton, so obviously my experience is completely different and I don't claim to know anything about how things run in Erie... however... I don't understand why you're upset with a lot of this. We have OMM every week, too. Shouldn't we? Everyone I know in lecture-based programs in schools all over the country have exams basically every week if not multiple exams per week. Didn't you know that was going to be the case when you chose to go to LECOM and chose the lecture pathway? You had to know what the curriculum was. Why would you be upset they're trying to get you the best board scores possible? Yes, you need an ID to get in the building... have you ever had your stuff stolen? My grad school in Buffalo had people mugged and assaulted on campus... I'm OK with needing my ID card to get in, now.

You're entitled to your opinion and I see nothing wrong with criticizing the quality of the lectures, nothing wrong with that at all. But on the rest of it... just try pretend you're a residency program director and you're reading these complaints - tested too often, OMM every week, need your ID - what would be your impression of this student?

Reactions: 1 user
I second nearly everything the OP has stated. Going to LECOM was one of the worst decisions I've made yet.

I will say, however, that LECOM did prepare me well. Because of the education, I'm now a third year resident at a rather prestigious allopathic program.

I get a lot of questions from pre-DOs applying to LECOM and I always recommend that they go there only if it is a last resort sort of thing.

I'll agree that people complain about their medical school no matter where they go but there's a certain type of vehemence that LECOM alumni tend to exude. There is a reason LECOM get's the defamation treatment on a regular basis, it's not just their students.

Avoid this school if you have the choice, medical school is stressful enough as it is.

I second nearly everything the OP has stated. Going to LECOM was one of the worst decisions I've made yet.

I will say, however, that LECOM did prepare me well. Because of the education, I'm now a third year resident at a rather prestigious allopathic program.

I get a lot of questions from pre-DOs applying to LECOM and I always recommend that they go there only if it is a last resort sort of thing.

Avoid this school if you have the choice, medical school is stressful enough as it is.

:laugh:

Yeah, seems contradictory, I know.

I could have gone to other schools and who is to say that they would not have prepared me just as well? I can confidently say, however, that the same education would have come minus the iron fist.

LECOMmunism has a brainwashy effect. You don't realize how bad you had it until you share your experiences with others.

Hindsight is 20/20.

Obviously, I should have chosen PBL or ISP (now DSP) but coming from a traditional background where you actually get something out of lecture a lot of times in undergrad, I chose LDP because I didn't exactly get much open information at the time about how PBL and ISP (DSP) were run which they openly admit that its a "leap of faith" jumping into it which is how they want it because there are only so many spots available in those two pathways so they can't have everyone trying to go into those- most (99%) of the information is in the powerpoints so coming to class is just a waste of time - which is mandatory...now if they made not coming to class mandatory then things would change...but when you have to listen to awful lecturers just read from their powerpoints for hours upon hours - it becomes a waste of time. Put it this way, majority of PBL and ISP people are usually the happier people around campus and have a life and do just as well typically on boards as LDP counterparts. LDP, well not as happy lol...leave it at that. Obviously, some people need the LDP pathway and learn in that environment but again - just info for your own decisions.

If you go to LECOM-Bradenton - you cannot even begin to compare...you all are for one thing PBL and are sort of separated from the "main" administration that actually owns and runs LECOM. Yes, I should have chose Bradenton...would have been a much better choice. And before you go accusing me of complaining - I am not "complaining" about all of it - just pointing out the reality of the school to people looking for honest answers.

No where did I complain about being tested "too often" - I just told people what the schedule was like...its a pain having tests every Monday to me...yes because it destroys my weekend and I am not a turtle and do appreciate somewhat of a life even in school if possible. I am not alone in this. Again, I said OMM was every wednesday - no where did I complain about it...I just tried to give people a peek into what the schedule is really like and let people choose for themselves. Same with the ID badge - some people might not want the big brother feel that LECOM puts over you and the scare tactics it employs. You can try to play the whole "I am in med school and too mature for this" all you want but the fact is that you are at LECOM-B and have NO IDEA the sort of things that we put up with sometimes...you would think we were either prisoners, children, or incompetent the way we are treated and "handled" sometimes.

Again, the education is not bad - but I think you could get the same education in most other DO schools. I mean you learn most of it on your own anyways from textbooks, review books, powerpoints, notes, etc.

Just wanting to let other prospective people have as much as a non-biased opinion as possible to let them choose for themselves. Its not awful every day here but it does feel a little "communism" like and big brother here on a daily basis and some of the way things are handled and how students are treated baffles the mind.

To the 4th year LECOM student - I agree with you on some of those things but the fact is that a lot of people don't want to deal with how things are run and handled here and that is what I am trying to inform people about so they can make their own educated decision instead of the glamour they put on at interviews and all that...there are huge downsides to LECOM-Erie (LDP) that you cannot fully appreciate until you come here. Its hard to address all of them in depth here but if you have specific questions - happy to answer. I just wish I had someone be as honest about how things were before I came because I would have chose one of the other schools I was accepted to.

Again, take what I say as you will...just noticed the lack of posts about LECOM-erie LDP specifically and just wanted to shun a little light on some of the reality of it. Biggest positive I can think when it comes to LECOM-erie is Anatomy is taught extremely well...other than that the education is so-so/average with many topics/subjects ranking poorly (i.e. physio, pharm, immuno, hem/onc)

But, they do have a nice Wellness Center ;-)

personally happy with my choice.
To be fair... I was PBL

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, this makes me feel so much better and grateful that I was accepted to Bradenton first and sent my deposit there. Super excited now.

PBL is the way to go - you don't have to really deal with awful lecturers and you get more time to study instead of wasting time in the classroom day in and day out. Plus, since you don't have to be in class you really don't have to be at the school much thus having to deal less with the administration and school in general. I regret not choosing that pathway...the waiting list to get into it or ISP (DSP) at the end of the 1st semester and 1st year was in the double digits if that is any indication how many people were trying their best to get out of the LDP pathway.

This should all be moved to pre-osteo where more people will see it...

Members don't see this ad :)
LDP doesnt essentially have two weeks to study for boards. I had from the beginning of April to May 24th 95% free to study for boards. I had over a 3.0 so I didn't have to go to the pre-clinical review classes. Honestly, you should start studying way sooner than 6 weeks. I started at the beginning of January.

You will find out that micro is actually one of the best departments at LECOM for LDP when it comes to micro board material. The podcasts are golden.

As far as the grade manipulations goes, I've never heard of that. I never had a problem getting a photocopy of my scantron to look and see what I marked if I asked. Normally you just get a computer printout of your answers.

I don't think I could've been happier or done better anywhere else than I did at LECOM. I had a solid group of friends which made the difference. I got my chance to prove my capabilities in school and I took full advantage, especially since my undergrad GPA sucked. I studied a lot and didn't do a whole lot on the weekends, but that was my choice. To me, med school wasn't a place to have fun all the time like undergrad. I treated it like two full time jobs and that mindset worked for me. Kept me on track and focused so I could do well. LECOM has its faults, but I'm glad I went here. In the end, med school is just a minor roadblock to get where I want in life. I figured if I could get past the first two years unscathed, then everything else would be easy.

Respect your opinion but a lot of people choose to take their boards before that May 24th date...obviously its a personal decision. I said micro wasn't that bad.

Again, I am not trying to prove anything or complain - just trying to help others make their own decisions. If I had a choice between dealing with the LECOM insanity and another school which does not have the same "iron fist" rule among other things - I would choose the other school in a heartbeat. I just think LECOM puts on a glamour show of their administration and school (which they have every right to do) but neglect to correct or listen to their students about making corrections to their huge gaps in their teaching/education and interaction with their students.

Some people have different experiences - but at least wanted to put some reality out there for some prospective students looking to make a decision.

Also, LECOM does not pay their rotation sites so another thing to consider is depending on where you are looking to do rotations - you have a chance of having that rotation dropped at the last minute causing you to scramble to find something else. Obviously, your chances are low but its not as low as you would think...it happens every year to multiple people. Just another thing to keep in mind when making your decision if you want to deal with that aspect. LECOM I think would do well to start paying their rotation sites to make their students feel a little more "secure" in where they are going to rotate instead of worrying sometimes about a certain rotation being dropped.

There's no need to rebut every point SurfinginPA made, but because others will see this thread in the future through searches and whatnot, I hope that others realize that there are some/many of us who are happy with our decision to attend LECOM.

With the large caveat that I am less than halfway through my first year, I am thoroughly enjoying my time here and the education I'm receiving. There are high points, and there are low points. You have strict rules, but a fair amount of laxity in how you design your own medical education.

Those who dislike it are going to be louder and more listened to, so I realize I'm fighting a losing battle, but it's important for applicants to know that there are quite a few happy students at LECOM-Erie.

^ Because they do not get it - they think everything is great because they are ISP (DSP) and PBL. Of course things are great for them when they don't really have to come to class and basically teach themselves using outlines, modules, etc. LDP is entirely different.

^ Because they do not get it - they think everything is great because they are ISP (DSP) and PBL. Of course things are great for them when they don't really have to come to class and basically teach themselves using outlines, modules, etc. LDP is entirely different.

LOL. No. It's not that we "don't get it." I get that lecture sucks. That's why I didn't pick it. I pointed out that I don't think there's anything wrong with you criticizing the quality of the lectures. I responded to some of your other complaints. Why? To give you and the other readers of this thread, some of whom may consider attending LECOM, a different perspective on some of the features that are shared between Erie and Bradenton campuses.

On that note, I'm happy LECOM doesn't pay for rotation sites, because I'd rather rotate at facilities that want to teach students.

And trust me, we study on weekends too, dear.

On that note, I'm happy LECOM doesn't pay for rotation sites, because I'd rather rotate at facilities that want to teach students.

I disagree with this statement, because you're insinuating that rotations that are paid for by the school want to teach their students less than those who don't. If anything, I think if a school pays for rotations, those rotations will be held to much higher standards, in terms of quality and exposure for the students that rotate there. Personally, I'd much rather go to a school that pays money to secure quality rotation spots for their students.

Not bashing LECOM or anything, I just wanted to share my opinion on that.

LOL. No. It's not that we "don't get it." I get that lecture sucks. That's why I didn't pick it. I pointed out that I don't think there's anything wrong with you criticizing the quality of the lectures. I responded to some of your other complaints. Why? To give you and the other readers of this thread, some of whom may consider attending LECOM, a different perspective on some of the features that are shared between Erie and Bradenton campuses.

And trust me, we study on weekends too, dear.

No reason to be condescending using "dear"...I know a lot of medical students think they are God's gift to this earth and they are above others but no reason to be condescending here. I never said you don't study on weekends...wow - do you just enjoy fabricating things?

And your view of rotation facilities "wanting" to teach students is skewed. Sure, some do but some can just purely use the help - hence the agreement to take on rotations at no cost because they can employ cheap labor and teach you some things at the same time.

Is this thread about Bradenton? Nope - I believe it says Erie...Seton Hill is different than Erie as is Bradenton - hence the difference of opinions and perspectives. Big difference!

This is an interesting thread. When I interviewed at LECOM-E in September 2010, I literally could not wait to get out of there. The whole experience was a nightmare.

The building was gray, drab, and so sterile. I felt like I would be stepping out of line if I touched something and "contaminated" it.

Display cases filled with clowns? I'm sorry but that's just weird.

You can't go into the atrium? What are they freaked out about?

My interview was just dumb. The faculty member was crude, unprofessional, and condescending. I wasn't the only one who felt unsettled. The interviewer wanted to know if we would prescribe Viagra for him so he could get his "pipe" up and going again. Not a bad question if you're a guy... just really uncomfortable for a lot of the girls in there. Especially because he kept making crude references to his genitalia.

The view of Lake Erie from the room was nice though.

The town was so bleak. Dreadful place, in my opinion.

Ironically, I got the "acceptance" phone call from my school of choice driving on the PA turnpike to Erie. Should have turned around right then!

Also got accepted at Bradenton that same month... seems nicer, but PBL was not for me so I turned it down.

This is why people recommend interviewing at as many schools as possible. I am so glad I did.

Why are ISP and PBL even commenting? LDP is a different ball game. This post is about LDP!

I posted because the entirety of complaints were not restricted to LDP. I apologize for encroaching on your vent thread.

The point remains, though, that some/many of us are happy here. Chalk it up to the pathway if you want, but ISP, LDP and PBL are all subject to the same administration, security, rotation sites, dress code, rules, etc. that SurfinginPA originally mentioned.

Actually a lot of people chose to take their boards AFTER May 24th. I know that because I was one of the first people in my class to take it. You can't even take it until ACLS is over which is the middle of May. There were very few dates before I took it. I took it the earliest I could so I could have a break before rotations started.

Also if you look at the OP, it doesn't say anything about LDP until halfway through. Who cares if PBL or ISP is commenting? They go through a lot of things that should be commented on too, especially since the title of the thread is about an overview of LECOM.

Lastly, I'd be weary about someone making an account just to start a thread about a school. It could be accurate or completely erroneous from a disgruntled student. Only us current students know the truth, which there are many truthful points in this thread. If you want to know about boards or rotations, its better to ask a third or fourth year because we have actually gone through it.

Last edited:
No reason to be condescending using "dear"...I know a lot of medical students think they are God's gift to this earth and they are above others but no reason to be condescending here. I never said you don't study on weekends...wow - do you just enjoy fabricating things?

facepalm.jpg

Nevermind. You are totally right. Wow I can't believe you have to study on weekends! You need your down time too, ya know. Best of luck to you in the future.

Last edited:
I posted because the entirety of complaints were not restricted to LDP. I apologize for encroaching on your vent thread.

The point remains, though, that some/many of us are happy here. Chalk it up to the pathway if you want, but ISP, LDP and PBL are all subject to the same administration, security, rotation sites, dress code, rules, etc. that SurfinginPA originally mentioned.

This.

:thumbup:

In retrospect I am glad I went to LECOM. First and Second year was a tough time with the school administration, studying, and struggling to find time. I was always upset with the time crunch between weekley tests and inadequate lecturers. Somehow I managed to learn the information and learn it well. Thats Med School, I guess. Third Year is a lot better, you will realize you know just as much and maybe more than other students from other locations (granted you worked hard). Honestly if the OP is concerned about quality of his education I wouldn't worry. You have to put in the work to do well on boards and at LECOM. I would assume this goes for any other school. I had plenty of time for boards, more than the 2 weeks OP states, I had given my self 2 months for step 1 of hardcore studying. I took USMLE and COMLEX May 27th and 31st, respectively.

As a prospective student for this upcoming fall, I appreciate all the input from the various students that have stepped up to speak their minds. Well rounded discussions like this make SDN the great asset it has become for so many. Thanks guys.

Yes, no worry - I am just a disgruntled 2nd year...don't listen to me. No worries. Obviously, you have people of all personality types in LDP at LECOM-Erie. Some people love the structure, big brother, and being in lecture all day - some people love that feel. Obviously, I like some structure but did not know the extent of the big brother feel and the rift with the administration can be a pain. There are just a lot of things that go on you wouldn't believe and in hindsight wish I had chosen another school...the people on the other end of the spectrum are obviously going to defend LECOM and thats fine - just wanting to let prospective students know some of what they are getting themselves into if they choose LDP.

Again, don't listen to me though - I'm just a disgruntled 2nd year making up SDN accounts. Or, maybe I just never signed up for an account and just browsed SDN for a long time and finally got tired of the lack of honesty about some of the things that goes on at LECOM-erie and that I wish had known. Decide for yourself ;-)

Actually most threads/posts about LECOM on this site are negative and bash the school. I peruse this site everyday and it's not too often you see LECOM threads that don't bash the school.

I'm not saying you are a disgruntled second year. I'm just saying historically on SDN, anytime a person created an account to neg a school or residency program on any forum here (a few threads in the IM forum come to mind) they were usually from a disgruntled person. I'm telling the other readers to get both sides of the spectrum and make an informed decision for themself. I'm not here to convince students to attend/not attend LECOM. I'm just sharing my experience and correcting any erroneous information that has been posted.

The last thing I'm gonna say is if you study hard, accept all the rules/regulations of LECOM, stay under the radar and aren't on a first name basis with admin, you will be more than prepared to do well on boards and rotations.

LECOM and Touro are the two names that suck the most, year after year. All they want to do is EXPAND, EXPAND, EXPAND their franchise for more revenue.

And why does Touro look like this? HORRIBLE IMAGE. Touro is not short on cash because they've been buying up other schools.

i agree with your thoughts on school expansion. Touro looks like that because the building is in a historic community near many historic landmarks so they can't change much of the outside of the building (if at all) because of its effects on nearby buildings of historic importance; also the building itself is of historic importance so changes to the exterior are gonna be tough to get approved by the gov. Though i think they could at least wash the outside or try and get permission to touch it up and restore it.

Last edited:
Though i think they could at least wash the outside or try and get permission to touch it up and restore it.

Assuming they own the building, can they get rid of the other tenants in the photo (Appliances/Jewelry/Lingerie/Shoes/Bags/etc)? Just curious.

Assuming they own the building, can they get rid of the other tenants in the photo (Appliances/Jewelry/Lingerie/Shoes/Bags/etc)? Just curious.
In theory, maybe... depends on lease agreements, and whether they actually own their space or the whole building, or if none of those people own the whole building... Additionally, this building is across the street from the Apollo Theater... That's pretty cool. While maybe they could give the outside a little face-lift, I think the contents are more important...

Either way, I will agree I've never really seen many posts saying LECOM-Erie is the best school ever, they do usually bash the school. In addition, I am accepted there, and happy about an acceptance, but I would rather get off the waitlist somewhere I hear fewer complaints about...

In theory, maybe... depends on lease agreements, and whether they actually own their space or the whole building, or if none of those people own the whole building... Additionally, this building is across the street from the Apollo Theater... That's pretty cool. While maybe they could give the outside a little face-lift, I think the contents are more important...

Either way, I will agree I've never really seen many posts saying LECOM-Erie is the best school ever, they do usually bash the school. In addition, I am accepted there, and happy about an acceptance, but I would rather get off the waitlist somewhere I hear fewer complaints about...

If being a physician is your goal and LECOM is your only choice then by all means suck it up and attend, you will find how well you do on boards, rotations, etc. is up to you not the school.

If you have multiple choices for schools I would think long and hard about attending LECOM. Being a medical student is stressful enough let alone dealing with the oppressive world of the Ferretti's and the Millcrack hospital system.

I highly recommend you take both the USMLE's and COMLEX to put yourself in the best position for whatever residency/specialty you choose.

If being a physician is your goal and LECOM is your only choice then by all means suck it up and attend, you will find how well you do on boards, rotations, etc. is up to you not the school.

If you have multiple choices for schools I would think long and hard about attending LECOM. Being a medical student is stressful enough let alone dealing with the oppressive world of the Ferretti's and the Millcrack hospital system.

I highly recommend you take both the USMLE's and COMLEX to put yourself in the best position for whatever residency/specialty you choose.

I'm waitlisted at SOMA and Bradenton. I'd rather go to either of those over Erie, with SOMA being the preference. I passed up an interview with LMU because I don't want to go to BFE TN... Anyway, as for the rest, that was my thought process... I want to do my residency in Denver, which has NO DO residencies at this time (or none I found in the listings) so I have to take the USMLE to get into an MD residency... (or so is my understanding)

I'm waitlisted at SOMA and Bradenton. I'd rather go to either of those over Erie, with SOMA being the preference. I passed up an interview with LMU because I don't want to go to BFE TN... Anyway, as for the rest, that was my thought process... I want to do my residency in Denver, which has NO DO residencies at this time (or none I found in the listings) so I have to take the USMLE to get into an MD residency... (or so is my understanding)

You don't HAVE to, but it will help (if you do well). If you are wanting FP or other DO friendly specialties it isn't always necessary. The advice I got was to research residencies in areas you want to be in and figure out with they take COMLEX. It is getting much more common for ACGME residencies to accept it. However, I have heard studying for both isn't really a huge deal, as they aren't super different, with the exception of the style of questions, and the OMM portion.

Quick correction for you:
PBL is given a text book and takes three exams a semester covering ~1000p of text per exam. We aren't given modules/lists/etc... I've personally read Robbins cover to cover 3 times. Some chapters 5 or 6 times.

Just to keep things straight :thumbup:

Quick correction for you:
PBL is given a text book and takes three exams a semester covering ~1000p of text per exam. We aren't given modules/lists/etc... I've personally read Robbins cover to cover 3 times. Some chapters 5 or 6 times.

Just to keep things straight :thumbup:

You're not given any list of objectives? If so, that's pretty beat.

Wow, people get defensive about their pathways - I am happy you read a chapter 5 or 6 times. If somebody said my pathway was easy or hard or insulted it - I would honestly not care because in the end they will find out for themselves. I expect you threw that out there for people to be impressed - the fact is that when you don't have to go to class - you have that kind of time and you can plan what works for you - aka, when you know you get tired, you plan around that so you study when you are not. LDP suffers through mandatory classes most of the day and THEN gets a chance to study in the late afternoon/evening when they are either very tired already, worn out, etc. Not complaining but those are the facts. I know many PBL people and they will freely admit that they enjoy their luxury of studying when they want and having that sort of time. They have the time to learn the information straight from the SOURCE (textbook). LDP does not always have time to read from a textbook or what not. We depend on powerpoints which I cannot tell you and express to you how many times the powerpoints have mistakes (especially physio) or how poor the powerpoints are where you spend a lot of your time trying to decipher what exactly they want out of this slide because its literally just a picture or the slide looks like a 3rd grader put it together.

We can sit here and debate all day back and forth - you can call me disgruntled or whatever - I honestly don't really care. I am doing fine but that does not mean I don't absolutely despise the LECOM administration and the way things are run. The "feeling" of being at LECOM is one that is hard to describe until you are here but add to that the misery of LDP mandatory class everyday, poorly taught lectures, bizarre administration that is borderline threatening with a lot of their guidelines and practices, + more = frustrating atmosphere on top of an already challenging environment of med school in general.

Take it for what its worth - if you go to LECOM-Erie and do LDP - you will eventually see what I am talking about.

nope... like I said, was just providing a point of clarification. PBL gets no notes/no outlines.
I'm really sorry you're unhappy with your choice (no sarcasm). It's got to be a terrible feeling. For the rest of your second yr. Forget your lectures and use Goljan and FA for each system. Your grades will be fine.

i was accepted LAST cycle to LECOM and declined admission... it was my only acceptance last cycle, and decided to enroll @ PCOM's biomedical sciences program... On interview day while touring the school/facilities there were LECOM students yelling things towards my group like "don't come here," "don't make the mistake," "the dress code sucks"

It was a terrible experience...

i was accepted LAST cycle to LECOM and declined admission... it was my only acceptance last cycle, and decided to enroll @ PCOM's biomedical sciences program... On interview day while touring the school/facilities there were LECOM students yelling things towards my group like "don't come here," "don't make the mistake," "the dress code sucks"

Such blasphemy! Where were the security guards??

Such blasphemy! Where were the security guards??

No one said that while I was interviewing. However, even if they had I probably wouldn't have noticed because I only had 2 hours of sleep for my interview. Either way, any student who would say that to interviewees is pretty low.

I call BS, with how schools regulate what and who you see on interview day...there is not really any chance of this.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple of points:

[1] 50% of all DO applicants apply to LECOM (erie, bradenton, seton hill).

[2] The school does care about students and in a way that is much more important than having "a nice place to study".
For example, they have kept their tuition virtually unchanged it goes up by 1-2% per year, and is now at an affordable 30k/yr (where as schools like u of pittsburgh raised their med school tuition by 12% last year http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11190/1159331-298.stm).

They built a beautiful fitness facility with great gym, 3 pools, workout area. They opened a cafe for students.
They provide $5k scholarships to students that do well year after year. They offer opportunity to go back home for rotations (wherever you are from).

[3] There is a negative environment while in LDP, and its mainly because of excessive classroom time. Everyone gets through it, but those with a smaller support network make a much harder transition.

[4] Lastly, they give an opportunity for students to become physicians who otherwise would have not been accepted to MD schools. So be greatfull of this and work hard because medical school is just a stepping stone to a great career.

A couple of points:

[1] 50% of all DO applicants apply to LECOM (erie, bradenton, seton hill).

[2] The school does care about students and in a way that is much more important than having "a nice place to study".
For example, they have kept their tuition virtually unchanged it goes up by 1-2% per year, and is now at an affordable 30k/yr (where as schools like u of pittsburgh raised their med school tuition by 12% last year http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11190/1159331-298.stm).

They built a beautiful fitness facility with great gym, 3 pools, workout area. They opened a cafe for students.
They provide $5k scholarships to students that do well year after year. They offer opportunity to go back home for rotations (wherever you are from).

[3] There is a negative environment while in LDP, and its mainly because of excessive classroom time. Everyone gets through it, but those with a smaller support network make a much harder transition.

[4] Lastly, they give an opportunity for students to become physicians who otherwise would have not been accepted to MD schools. So be greatfull of this and work hard because medical school is just a stepping stone to a great career.

read "Danm ingrates, shut up and eat your peas if you want your dean's letter"

ill give a touch of credence to everything said in this thread but someone PLEASE tell me why people bitch about the dress policy so much?

Seeing the med and pharm girls in hot outfits/short skirts/ect made my day, every day haha. I can put up with a half-ass ironing job a few times a week for that.