LECOM Post-bac 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol you will know who I am as soon as I'm let into the group... such a small group!

I say first day we go around the room and guess each others SDN names... then go big bass fishing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Ya there are only four people or five people there. I just know one guy in there from sdn - he added me lol so no brainer.

Anyways, I received matriculation package yesterday by email and I am disappointed to see that we won't be getting subsidized loan anymore, thanks to our stupid govt. They are only offering unsubsidized loan of up to 20,000 which has a 6.9% interest rate.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Did you guys apply for the Health Science Post Bac or the MS in Biomedical Sci?

Ya there are only four people or five people there. I just know one guy in there from sdn - he added me lol so no brainer.

Anyways, I received matriculation package yesterday by email and I am disappointed to see that we won't be getting subsidized loan anymore, thanks to our stupid govt. They are only offering unsubsidized loan of up to 20,000 which has a 6.9% interest rate.

yeah, I saw that, it sucks. I just submitted my fafsa so we'll see how much of that 20,000 I can actually get...

I know right! I need that $$ to pay for rent/food/gas.. Fortunately I'm not paying for my schooling.. but I would rather not have to take out even more loans with higher interest rates to pay for all the extras.....

lol you will know who I am as soon as I'm let into the group... such a small group!

I say first day we go around the room and guess each others SDN names... then go big bass fishing.

I'm there. I'll be the one with a baby boy out there.

I know right! I need that $$ to pay for rent/food/gas.. Fortunately I'm not paying for my schooling.. but I would rather not have to take out even more loans with higher interest rates to pay for all the extras.....

I've been looking at rent around LECOM, it's not too bad, it's been around 650 to 750 for a 2bdr and thank god for wegmans nearby. Food there is pretty cheap.

Does anyone know where the bad parts of Erie start? Trying to find places that aren't in the bad areas.

Does anyone know where the bad parts of Erie start? Trying to find places that aren't in the bad areas.

I have heard anything that is on the east side is bad. West Side of Erie is good.

I have heard anything that is on the east side is bad. West Side of Erie is good.

Also avoid the Granada apts. those are really bad. Downtown isn't too bad either.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah rent seems not bad at all in Erie. The cost of living seems pretty low.. but I still haven't found a decent apartment that I really want to live in... I plan on heading back there in the beginning of June to look around again!

Im forsure sticking with my mac. Just read that they arent supported? I would say probably 75% of the people in my classes now own macs. I think its time they catch up with the times.

Im forsure sticking with my mac. Just read that they arent supported? I would say probably 75% of the people in my classes now own macs. I think its time they catch up with the times.

Ditto. I looked at other threads about LECOM and everyone says it doesn't matter.

it's not that they aren't supported, there just is no IT support or anything at LECOM for macs

Hi guys. I have been reading this forum and had some questions to see if anybody had any similar circumstances. My AACOMAS GPA will be 3.45 cum and 3.15 science after this semester. I am trying to get into the LECOM post bad to try to bolster my grades and prove I can do the work.

I received 4 D's my freshman year, all science, as I was going through a bought of depression (treated) combined with first term jitters, lack of maturity, and all that stuff everyone says. I graduated with a 3.65 from Penn State, and have retaken many science classes. I went from D to A/B in several. However, as many of you know it is hard to bring the GPA up and I am hesitant to retake C courses because of lack of money and unwillingness to take further loans in undergrad unless absolutely necessary.

I just found out that the post bad does not use the AACOMAS GPA, they use the average of all grades taken. this means my science GPA will be 2.5 or about that area.

Does anybody have similar stats and do you guys think it is worth me even applying to the program? Should I attach an addendum?

Thanks guys!

Have you taken the mcat?

I have not yet taken the MCAT as I have been reluctant to take it without having first taken a prep course. I have it scheduled for May 12th but so far have only had the time to review marginally via examkrackers guides. I would prefer the opportunity to take the prep course first.

I spoke with Jamie and was told the 23 is required to get the interview, not be admitted. I am sure it would help, but couldn't a poor score hurt?

Hi guys. I have been reading this forum and had some questions to see if anybody had any similar circumstances. My AACOMAS GPA will be 3.45 cum and 3.15 science after this semester. I am trying to get into the LECOM post bad to try to bolster my grades and prove I can do the work.

I received 4 D's my freshman year, all science, as I was going through a bought of depression (treated) combined with first term jitters, lack of maturity, and all that stuff everyone says. I graduated with a 3.65 from Penn State, and have retaken many science classes. I went from D to A/B in several. However, as many of you know it is hard to bring the GPA up and I am hesitant to retake C courses because of lack of money and unwillingness to take further loans in undergrad unless absolutely necessary.

I just found out that the post bad does not use the AACOMAS GPA, they use the average of all grades taken. this means my science GPA will be 2.5 or about that area.

Does anybody have similar stats and do you guys think it is worth me even applying to the program? Should I attach an addendum?

Thanks guys!

Hey, I had similar stats. I had an overall gpa when I applied of 2.8ish and after my fall semester was up to a 2.92 and still got in. I'm pretty sure my science GPA was around yours. and my MCAT was a 29. The improvement I'm sure helps make things look better. For me, I think it was largely how much clinical experience I had. I think it'd be worth a shot. You definitely need to take the mcat tho. I took it the first time without a course and got a 27 so getting that 23 is doable.

Thanks guys!
I just found out that it does, from e-mailing Dr. James Moore.

Hey, I had similar stats. I had an overall gpa when I applied of 2.8ish and after my fall semester was up to a 2.92 and still got in. I'm pretty sure my science GPA was around yours. and my MCAT was a 29. The improvement I'm sure helps make things look better. For me, I think it was largely how much clinical experience I had. I think it'd be worth a shot. You definitely need to take the mcat tho. I took it the first time without a course and got a 27 so getting that 23 is doable.
When you took the MCAT did you study much at all for it? Like I said its been awhile since I took Bio and Chem 1. I used the Examkrackers briefly but really haven't made a dent and have only about two weeks in order to get in for the one program. I really wasn't planning on taking the exam until summer but this came up unexpectedly.

Also, do you have any recommendations for ways on approaching clinical work opportunities?

When you took the MCAT did you study much at all for it? Like I said its been awhile since I took Bio and Chem 1. I used the Examkrackers briefly but really haven't made a dent and have only about two weeks in order to get in for the one program. I really wasn't planning on taking the exam until summer but this came up unexpectedly.

Also, do you have any recommendations for ways on approaching clinical work opportunities?

Have you thought about postponing until the June 21st test date? You'd still be able to apply by the August 1st deadline...

I took mine about 2 or 3 weeks after my finals so I didn't get much studying in. I agree with futuredoc, try to postpone it at this point it's a little too much. For clinical work, you need more luck than anythign else, I got my job in an ED freshman year and held onto it till now. For the volunteer work, it's usually first come first serve so get apps in early for that. good luck!

Have you thought about postponing until the June 21st test date? You'd still be able to apply by the August 1st deadline...

I would love to and it still might take it again for lecom program although I would avoid taking the cost if possible. However, another school that I am applying to as a backup has informed me that they now are going to be requiring the test and that's I need to take it in may.

I would love to and it still might take it again for lecom program although I would avoid taking the cost if possible. However, another school that I am applying to as a backup has informed me that they now are going to be requiring the test and that's I need to take it in may.
You said the other day that the postbac does not use AACOMAS GPA and instead averages retakes for admissions.........how do you know this?

I was told that by Jamie. I am not sure who does the actual calculations. I was surprised because all other osteopathic programs used the AACOMAS. However, the other poster said Dr. Moore told him otherwise.

Who is responsible for the program, Dr Moore?

I was told that by Jamie. I am not sure who does the actual calculations. I was surprised because all other osteopathic programs used the AACOMAS. However, the other poster said Dr. Moore told him otherwise.

Who is responsible for the program, Dr Moore?
I'm having a feeling that Jamie does the admissions, but something still seems off. If I apply to the DO school first, then get rejected, then apply to the postbac, they will have my AACOMAS info on hand from the DO app, which includes the AACOMAS GPA, as well as personal statement, letters of rec, etc.

It would be odd if they go out of their way to recalculate my GPA the harsher way when it comes time for applying to the postbac.

I'm having a feeling that Jamie does the admissions, but something still seems off. If I apply to the DO school first, then get rejected, then apply to the postbac, they will have my AACOMAS info on hand from the DO app, which includes the AACOMAS GPA, as well as personal statement, letters of rec, etc.

It would be odd if they go out of their way to recalculate my GPA the harsher way when it comes time for applying to the postbac.
I completely agree with you and was actually shocked when I was told this. It makes no sense unless they decrease the difficulty of getting in the post bad further. Still, why go through all this?

i've been accepted....still waiting on DO acceptance tho

since classes are in the evening, do students work during the day? or just study?

anyone have any info about the intensity? I would ordinarily like to find a way to make some money...

anyone interested in finding a roommate?
I'm a male...

since classes are in the evening, do students work during the day? or just study?

anyone have any info about the intensity? I would ordinarily like to find a way to make some money...

I'm a male...
Mind sharing your admission stats?

I've been accepted but not attending, good luck to everyone

im curious as to why some people are accepted but not attending? can you please share?

I am attending cincinnati ms physiology instead.

Male, 21, got my BS at the University of Dayton, currently living in Cincinnati. Waitlisted at LECOM-Erie and accepted into the Post Bacc. Looking for a roommate/place to live. I have a dog but if its a deal breaker I can leave him with my parents (beagle mix 1 yr) I don't smoke and am overall real easy to live with. Let me know ASAP by email [email protected]

I'm a male...

ive heard that the program is intense (basically like medical school without labs). a student from the previous year posted a lot of information regarding the courses on the facebook page. so i dont think we will be able to balance a job and the course load.

Got my acceptance letter today! I'm still on the wait list for D.O., but I think I'm gonna take the spot. Good luck everyone!!

Hi, everyone. I got accepted into the post-bac and wanted to know if anyone else that got accepted is Pre-Dental?

Also, if anyone is interested in a roommate please private msg me: females only please

See you all in September ::D

I'm sending my application in now (I know it's late but I just learned about this program and was waitlisted at Nova). Can people who have been accepted post their stats...MCAT and GPA?? Just to see if I have any chance of getting in. Thanks!!

does this program have guaranteed acceptance if your gpa in the program is 3.0 or higher and your mcat is 23 or higher?

does this program have guaranteed acceptance if your gpa in the program is 3.0 or higher and your mcat is 23 or higher?

No.

There is a VERY VERY high correlation to those with a 3.0/23 and acceptance, but you are not guaranteed anything. They still reserve they right to not take you if you are a knucklehead and all-around horrible human being.

You will get an interview however.

I'm sending my application in now (I know it's late but I just learned about this program and was waitlisted at Nova). Can people who have been accepted post their stats...MCAT and GPA?? Just to see if I have any chance of getting in. Thanks!!

You can read this entire thread and the others from years pasts and find a good range.

Personally...and candidly, my GPA is probably lower than yours and my MCAT is higher. :D

One of those is true.

Reactions: 1 user
The thing that scares me- and to keep in mind is that, considering how hard the courses are here, having a 3.0 will be hard. But ok, we can do that if we try.

The issue is, if lecom still doesn't take you, you don't have much of a chance anywhere else because a 3.0 isn't very competitive...

You can read this entire thread and the others from years pasts and find a good range.

Personally...and candidly, my GPA is probably lower than yours and my MCAT is higher. :D

One of those is true.

Yeah I did that when no one really responded. And you're right, my GPA was higher than most but my MCAT was lower.

hey guys. just wanted to know for those who have been accepted where ya'll are staying. i'm in erie right now and am looking around. Post bac classes are held in the Bayfront campus--so I figure since attendance is counted (and you don't want to have to explain tardies during your interview for their DO school), living somewhere near that building would be best. The closest complex I've found though (South Shore Place) is minimum 1200 a month...
So i just wanted input on where else you guys might be staying.

How long did it take after everything was received for people that got accepted to either get an interview or an acceptance/rejection?

Also, was there an interview during this process?