LECOM Post-Bacc 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wksun88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know it's probably a bit early to be starting this thread, but I just wanted to get an idea of the number of people who plan on applying or have been accepted this year.
Please chime in! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I applied and was accepted. However, I turned down the offer to attend another school. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just started my application here. Sorry if this is a stupid question but has anyone heard of someone getting into an MD program from this? I would have nothing against going to LECOM but I just want to keep my options open

Also do the courses you take there count towards your undergrad gpa?

Last edited:
Looking back at the previous years threads for the lecom postbac, I couldn't find any posts which would indicate a situation like this, although I think it is possible if you had a high enough MCAT score along with the right ECs. If you really want to enter an allopathic school, you could consider applying to and attending more reputable post bac programs with linkage agreements. The downside is that a lot of these programs are not meant to enhance one's academic record and will reject applicants who have already taken the premed prerequisites.

Looking back at the previous years threads for the lecom postbac, I couldn't find any posts which would indicate a situation like this, although I think it is possible if you had a high enough MCAT score along with the right ECs. If you really want to enter an allopathic school, you could consider applying to and attending more reputable post bac programs with linkage agreements. The downside is that a lot of these programs are not meant to enhance one's academic record and will reject applicants who have already taken the premed prerequisites.

Thanks! The more I look into this program the more appealing it sounds, starting to get worried about whether I have a shot though. I have a 2.68 gpa and a 31Q mcat score. gpa should jump to about a 2.85 after this year but I don't know if I should wait to get my second semester grades then apply or apply now. Anyone have any advice? I might email them and ask but I'm just afraid they will till me outright not to apply because I don't meet the cut off:laugh:

Thanks! The more I look into this program the more appealing it sounds, starting to get worried about whether I have a shot though. I have a 2.68 gpa and a 31Q mcat score. gpa should jump to about a 2.85 after this year but I don't know if I should wait to get my second semester grades then apply or apply now. Anyone have any advice? I might email them and ask but I'm just afraid they will till me outright not to apply because I don't meet the cut off:laugh:

No problem, maybe you can give Jamie Murphy a call or shoot him an email and ask for his input. He's the guy in charge of the post-bac program. Since your MCAT score is a lot higher than their average, they *might* be willing to overlook your GPA but don't quote me on this! Can't hurt to try right? Worst case scenario, you apply after you get your second semester grades :)
His contact info: [email protected] 814-866-8117

No problem, maybe you can give Jamie Murphy a call or shoot him an email and ask for his input. He's the guy in charge of the post-bac program. Since your MCAT score is a lot higher than their average, they *might* be willing to overlook your GPA but don't quote me on this! Can't hurt to try right? Worst case scenario, you apply after you get your second semester grades :)
His contact info: [email protected] 814-866-8117

Thanks so much! will shoot him an email tomorrow and hope for the best. Have you already sent in your application?

Thanks so much! will shoot him an email tomorrow and hope for the best. Have you already sent in your application?

No problem! Yes I was accepted already. I think since it's still pretty early, the turnaround time is quick. Keep us updated on your status, I'm curious as to what his response will be :thumbup:

I may be attending in the fall, still waiting to hear from other programs though because it is still very early. Is there any data on how much of the class ends up matriculating to LECOM?

I may be attending in the fall, still waiting to hear from other programs though because it is still very early. Is there any data on how much of the class ends up matriculating to LECOM?

So 70% of last year's post-bac class ended up matriculating to LECOM. I got this number from Dr. Moore, who's the director of recruitment at LECOM. Considering that the average class size has been around 60 people, that's around 40+ people that get in, which isn't too shabby.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! Yes I was accepted already. I think since it's still pretty early, the turnaround time is quick. Keep us updated on your status, I'm curious as to what his response will be :thumbup:

Will do! still waiting on an email back :/ When you sent in your rec letter was it just a general letter, or did it follow the format they sent out and mention LECOM? I dont wanna have to ask my letter writer to redo it.

Does anyone notice if LECOM just edited their website to take down the 23MCAT and 3.0GPA for guaranteed interview/acceptance? Can't seem to find it anymore...

Will do! still waiting on an email back :/ When you sent in your rec letter was it just a general letter, or did it follow the format they sent out and mention LECOM? I dont wanna have to ask my letter writer to redo it.

My rec letter was just a general one, submitted to interfolio. Then I had interfolio physically mail it to LECOM (they don't accept electronic versions for postbac)
You can just have your professor mail them the one he/she has already written for you :)
Try calling him if he doesn't respond. Sometimes he is out of the office for a day or two.

Does anyone notice if LECOM just edited their website to take down the 23MCAT and 3.0GPA for guaranteed interview/acceptance? Can't seem to find it anymore...

I never saw it stated on the website, but in the acceptance letter it says you are required to maintain a 3.0 and 23 MCAT for acceptance to the DO program.

With this being a post bacc with no degree I assume that this program would have to be paid for out of pocket?

I believe there are federal direct and grad plus loans you can take out for this program, not too sure. Good thing tuition's only 13k!

Can someone please tell me whether they accept international students. I was unable to find the information on the LECOM website. Thanks!

Is this program only for people looking at DO afterwards?
What are the stats of people who have gotten in?
I have a 3.1 (with retaken classes that were C's.) - hope that gpa is good enough, fingers crossed.

I got in a few weeks ago with a 3.47. Good luck :)

For those of you who were accepted - would you mind posting your gpa/mcat scores?
This program is my top preference so I would really like to know my chances of getting in..

was this program just a guaranteed interview or an actual guaranteed spot in the med school?

For those of you who were accepted - would you mind posting your gpa/mcat scores?
This program is my top preference so I would really like to know my chances of getting in..

I PM'ed you

Reactions: 1 user
was this program just a guaranteed interview or an actual guaranteed spot in the med school?

According to the acceptance letter and prior threads on this postbac, it's pretty much a guarantee.

According to the acceptance letter and prior threads on this postbac, it's pretty much a guarantee.

Only for DO ? Or do people matriculate into MD schools as well after this program?

By the way, do most people do the certificate program or the masters? I see the option for both on their website.
Thanks!

Only for DO ? Or do people matriculate into MD schools as well after this program?

It is more geared for pre-DO students.

I prefer the certificate as it is a year but I think students who don't get accepted yet try to continue for an actual masters degree.

By the way, do most people do the certificate program or the masters? I see the option for both on their website.
Thanks!

99% of the kids are doing 1 year Postbac. There is only one person I know who is doing masters. It is more like a backup plan, for example if you mess up your Postbac gpa and got less than 3.0 then you cannot get into Lecom med school. In such case you can do masters which will take 1 more year - also you need to take GRE before they accept you into masters

For those of you who are applying for this cycle, what mailing address should we send the official transcripts to?

I am starting my application right now for the 1 year post bacc certificate. It says I will have to wait up to a week to recieve the link to the application. While I wait, I want to order my transcripts because that can take a while as well.

For those of you who are applying for this cycle, what mailing address should we send the official transcripts to?

I am starting my application right now for the 1 year post bacc certificate. It says I will have to wait up to a week to recieve the link to the application. While I wait, I want to order my transcripts because that can take a while as well.

I just finished applying and sending everything here today. Here's the address you can send transcripts/recommendations to.

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
Attention: Office of Admissions - PB App
1858 West Grandview Blvd
Erie, PA 16509

thank you so much! i really appreciate the prompt help.

Does anybody know how selective this program is? I can't find any information on this.
Withdrawing my acceptance from the LECOM Post-Bacc, good luck to all applicants! My stats are ~3.5 GPA and 28 MCAT. The previous threads from earlier years are the best indicators as to how competitive the program is and what is expected from students during the year long program. I was 100% planning on moving to Erie, PA and pushing myself to work very hard to ace the program so that I could hopefully matriculate to the LECOM DO program the following year. What changed was that I got accepted this cycle for DO Class of 2017!

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrawing my acceptance from the LECOM Post-Bacc, good luck to all applicants! My stats are ~3.5 GPA and 28 MCAT. The previous threads from earlier years are the best indicators as to how competitive the program is and what is expected from students during the year long program. I was 100% planning on moving to Erie, PA and pushing myself to work very hard to ace the program so that I could hopefully matriculate to the LECOM DO program the following year. What changed was that I got accepted this cycle for DO Class of 2017!

Sweet deal. It seems the program seems to take those that already have stats that could get them in to a DO school or just under. Seems like a good back up if I dont get into NOVA or the USF IMS.

Congratulations on getting into med school! That must feel great! Best of luck.

I was just accepted to the post-bacc program for this fall. Are there any other parents that will be attending this fall? I would like to get in touch with someone that has children.

Do I stii have a chance for fall admission if I apply soon? Also my first mcat was 23 but it went down my second, which will they use? Thanks

Hi! I just wanted to post on here and get a feel of whoever else is attending the post-bac program this fall for Lecom. Some background on me, I am a senior Neuroscience major and I got accepted into the program with a 3.8 GPA and a 21 MCAT (I know, my MCAT isn't up to par). I'm really looking forward to attending the program, and I'd like to hear some feedback from others out there like me :)

I am also applying to the program GPA is 3.6-3.7. Awaiting Mcat score. My question to the person with the 3.8 and 21 mcat -- did you apply to med school ? it seems like they would have overlooked the lower mcat score with a GPA like that

I am also applying to the program GPA is 3.6-3.7. Awaiting Mcat score. My question to the person with the 3.8 and 21 mcat -- did you apply to med school ? it seems like they would have overlooked the lower mcat score with a GPA like that

There's pretty much no way to get into MD school with a 21 MCAT regardless of what your other stats are. Maybe there are a few counterexamples for this, but I can't think of many.

I know someone who got a 21 and goes to St. George's MD school. What about D.O? did you apply to any of those schools?

I know someone who got a 21 and goes to St. George's MD school. What about D.O? did you apply to any of those schools?

I am assuming that the poster was talking about US MD/DO schools--not carib. It is quasi impossible to get into US MD school with a 21 MCAT. It might be possible for DO but I would bet it is rare.

got cha. Now what happens if you don't get a 23 when you sit for one MCAT, but if you add up sections from previous MCATS and they add up to 23 will the post bac count that and guarantee you an interview provided your GPA is above a 3.0?

got cha. Now what happens if you don't get a 23 when you sit for one MCAT, but if you add up sections from previous MCATS and they add up to 23 will the post bac count that and guarantee you an interview provided your GPA is above a 3.0?

I think they only take your best MCAT from one sitting, meaning they won't take the best individual subsections from your MCAT for the min. 23.

ok thanks! also on the post bac app I noticed that the future plans essay seems kind of informal. should I treat it as seriously as a personal statement?

ok thanks! also on the post bac app I noticed that the future plans essay seems kind of informal. should I treat it as seriously as a personal statement?

I just used my personal statement for medical schools and altered it slightly specifically for LECOM by adding/changing a paragraph here and there.