Lecture and work conflicts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparkmandrill

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you have had any success negotiating classes where the lectures overlap with work. I know it is a long shot but I am hoping to obtain some kind of full time job, part time just isnt really appropriate for me at this age anymore, and If I do this unfortunately none of the science classes I need at my school have lectures after 4pm or so. I will not be able to attend lectures but do you think it is possible to talk to the instructors and just study independently and take the tests?

I know it is really unlikely, however i feel like it should not be. These instructors have to be aware that many students skip the lectures anyways and are not forthcoming about it. In my personal case, lecture is and has always been a huge waste of time for me and it would be a real crappy situation if I can no longer pursue my goals because I am unable to sit in a lecture hall and twiddle my thumbs anymore for hours.

Members don't see this ad.

I will not be able to attend lectures but do you think it is possible to talk to the instructors and just study independently and take the tests?

Anything is possible, but I think you should be more concerned with probable. There are a lot of variables with your approach, ex. you'd have to be comfortable with the idea that a prof. may not be open to assisting you with content issues b/c you're not in lecture. Also, are you sure that you'll still obtain the best grade(s) possible by not being in lecture?

Two words: Hospital job.

- Offers patient contact (potentially)
- Offers money
- 24/7 operation

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I have have been applying to jobs at hospitals. I know the 3rd shift route might be the only option, just worried it would wreak havoc on me (in more ways than one) haha.

But to the missing lecture affecting my ability to do well, I am completely confident in that it will not. Lecture has always been a waste imo, I always have gotten more out of just studying on my own, and maybe going to one or two office hours. Although I understand these office hours will most likely be off the table as well....

Members don't see this ad :)
I took evening classes here and there while working full time, but it was always a pain in the a$s. You can probably take one class a semester like that, at best. You never know until you check though. Just search the course catalog at all of your local universities.

Was it really that bad? I always felt like having the whole weekend to work on things would make it easy. And unfortunately the university does not offer any night classes for the courses i want. There is only one other place that would offer them and that is the local CC but i know that is frowned upon and i do not even know their schedule of classes.

Thanks.

Was it really that bad? I always felt like having the whole weekend to work on things would make it easy. And unfortunately the university does not offer any night classes for the courses i want. There is only one other place that would offer them and that is the local CC but i know that is frowned upon and i do not even know their schedule of classes.

Thanks.

I worked full time weekend nights at a hospital, 4 10hr shifts so I could do grad school during the day during the week. An evening shift position might work, or even 3 12hr shifts across the weekend.

OP have you heard of UNE online? They have most of the prereqs in an online format, self paced due after about 16 weeks. I plan on taking several classes through them as I will be graduating at the end of this year with a degree in medical laboratory science and will, presumably, be working full time. Maybe this could be another option for you: http://online.une.edu/science-prerequisites/

Wow that is really awesome if it is indeed legitimate in pro schools eyes (dental in my case). I will have the absolute minimal courses done by the end of this summer (bio I&II, gen and orgo I&II, Physics I&II) and there are several on that list i want to take to improve my application like biochem and anatomy and physiology. The price is also really reasonable. Do you know if you receive a letter grade?

Wow that is really awesome if it is indeed legitimate in pro schools eyes (dental in my case). I will have the absolute minimal courses done by the end of this summer (bio I&II, gen and orgo I&II, Physics I&II) and there are several on that list i want to take to improve my application like biochem and anatomy and physiology. The price is also really reasonable. Do you know if you receive a letter grade?

Just check with your specific schools to see if online prerequisites are allowed. I know I've seen many where they are not (for MD schools).

Yes you do receive a letter grade with +/- designations. While these lectures are online, our advantage is UNE now has all corresponding labs done independently in person at home. Full disclosure though: while they seem totally legit, the OP has stated as pre-dent so check with specific schools but in my case, as working to eventually attend DO school, they seem to be fine

Evening classes are a thing. I would recommend taking them in person. If you're in a city, there should be a few schools that offer classes targeting adults and others with FT jobs.

I've been negotiating this battle for 9 months now. I work at a hospital so my hours are very flexible. I use my night shifts to study :)

You have no obligation (except for maybe a moral one) to tell your profs how or why you aren't in class. All you need to care about is whether you need to be there for credit or something. A lot of my classes have clicker quizzes where we have to answer using little remotes (and get correct answers) on pop quizzes for 15% of our grade. These are classes you can't afford to skip. Otherwise you'll be fine.

While working as an RN in ICUs, um, yes, there are quiet moments, but no. Can't/couldn't use night shifts to study, b/c even the steady work can be a lot and has variations--others need help--admissions come in--people code or quazi-code-family issues--especially in peds, where there is 24/7 visiting.

It's also like the kiss of death if you bring materials in to study, b/c 9/10 x's I have ever done this, it's like the universe knows and the crap hits the fan. :) It has happened so many times, I have actually become quite superstitious about it. . .LOL. Darn, it's like it never fails.

There are many good reasons not to miss class. First, you have to listen carefully to try and figure out what the professor is going to hone in on and what he/she is not. Some profs are better with their syllabi and rubrics, but you can get some curve balls.

Second, as much as I am a visual learner, I am also a very auditory-based learner. I sort of hear things and remember them after--if I am not distracted by other stuff. I'm pretty musical, so I guess it's just part of my make up.

Third, it's nice for the profs, whenever possible, to have a good association with the student's face as well as a feel for their level of interest and commitment when looking for LORs.

Working and going to school, no matter how you cut it, is a huge pain. I will have to face the problem with rotation schedules coming up again soon, and this will present a problem for certain days. So, yea, depending upon your work, or if you work from home and have more control over your hours, it's a major stressor! So, I guess my only advice is try to find something where you can control your hours--or work in a job from home where you can control your hours. There is NO easy answer, and by God I REALLY WISH there was. Of course the lottery is a possibility. :rolleyes: lol

Last edited:
Work as an overnight security guard. Most boring, yet potentially productive position to have. You get to study all night while doing nothing and hardly ever get interrupted, and get to go to class in the day.

Reactions: 1 user
Security guard is a great option. My cousin did that for awhile, he said he did a ton of reading.

Also agree with @jl lin taht bringing study materials to work at the hospital is like asking for all hell to break loose. :p

I just did my studying at home with the exception of reading journal articles. Easier to focus.

Also agree that while attendance isn't mandatory, showing up helps with getting rec letters.

Security guard is a great option. My cousin did that for awhile, he said he did a ton of reading.

Also agree with @jl lin taht bringing study materials to work at the hospital is like asking for all hell to break loose. :p

I just did my studying at home with the exception of reading journal articles. Easier to focus.

Also agree that while attendance isn't mandatory, showing up helps with getting rec letters.

So, I'm not all that superstitious then, am I ? :eyebrow:;)

Seriously, it's creepy. And then if you have a relatively slow night, you want to kick yourself for not bringing the material--but all along you have come to believe that somehow bringing those materials sets you up for hell and chaos. If you have an Ipad that is small enough for your pocket, or if you do well with a smart phone, load stuff on there. But once you start getting into it, BEWARE!

Nope, tried to study a few times working in the blood bank... Oh hey 3 liver transplants, or a mass casualty situation... Decided I was bad for people's health.
Are you a med tech as well? Ever see anyone studying in the lab? I don't think that'd work for me but reading forums online it seems labs vary greatly in terms of workload, strictness, etc

Are you a med tech as well? Ever see anyone studying in the lab? I don't think that'd work for me but reading forums online it seems labs vary greatly in terms of workload, strictness, etc

I saw someone study for nursing classes in the lab on night shift. She'd disinfect the bench area beside her and put her books there. Then she expected the other person to function without her where possible. She wound up on corrective action later for other competency issues, but that kind of behavior didn't help.

The shift lead on nights here studies, but I don't approve (and in general it isn't approved). She gets distracted and it seems to interfere with turnaround times.

Personally i'd rather not bring my books into the lab with all of the biohazard stuff around and the rules here are that you aren't supposed to. We're also busy enough that it generally isn't worth it to try. I have, on particularly slow nights, read some articles for class that were available online and things like that. Rare though. I just think you get more bang for your buck doing work at work and homework at home in this type of setting.

Now that security guard job, or night time hotel desk clerk.... Yeah, I'd study at work.