Left off a traffic ticket on TMDSAS. Am I about to get rekt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeftheguineapig

Reaction score
Hey yall, I am in a bit of a pickle. I was accepted to a school in the south. A few years back I received a silly traffic ticket for a crime that occurred not even in a vehicle. I did not report it on TMDSAS because TMDSAS does not require minor traffic tickets to be reported. I know, I know, I should've reported it in hindsight.

Here's the issue though, traffic tickets are Class C misdemeanors here and my school found out about it. They contacted me and asked for clarification. I came clean, sent them supporting documents, and then apologized for leaving that info out. I even had my primary updated immediately. The person who contacted me said they would review the material I sent. Realistically, what happens in situations like this? I know I have at least some risk of losing my acceptance since I technically lied to the adcom even though I was as transparent as I could be after the fact. What are yall's thoughts? Any other courses of action I should consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Being forthright and transparent will help your cause, but it depends.....

So in the state the crime occurred it was a civil infraction or was it criminal? The state you are in now classifies it as misdemeanor, correct?

If I understand this correctly, you might be able to make the argument that you answered truthfully when applying, as it was considered a civil infraction in the state you received the citation. It really depends on how your school views it.

The other thing to consider is what was the exact wording on about this on TMDSAS application....

I am not an attorney, so if this is going to be a potential issue, you may want to get insights from an attorney who is licensed in Texas to better guide you.

Being forthright and transparent will help your cause, but it depends.....

So in the state the crime occurred it was a civil infraction or was it criminal? The state you are in now classifies it as misdemeanor, correct?

If I understand this correctly, you might be able to make the argument that you answered truthfully when applying, as it was considered a civil infraction in the state you received the citation. It really depends on how your school views it.

The other thing to consider is what was the exact wording on about this on TMDSAS application....

I am not an attorney, so if this is going to be a potential issue, you may want to get insights from an attorney who is licensed in Texas to better guide you.
Hmm unsure about it being civil or criminal. I know it was not a big deal and if I told you the specifics of the charge and how I got it, you'd probably laugh that I was even ticketed. Admittedly I was a bit confused on the TMDSAS app since it states to not report traffic tickets (which this one is) but it does want misdemeanors. In this state, all traffic tickets are misdemeanors so ????. I erred on the side of not reporting as it did not seem like it was necessary. Hiring an attorney might be my best bet just to try and keep things in order going forward if they want to rescind my offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey yall, I am in a bit of a pickle. I was accepted to a school in the south. A few years back I received a silly traffic ticket for a crime that occurred not even in a vehicle. I did not report it on TMDSAS because TMDSAS does not require minor traffic tickets to be reported. I know, I know, I should've reported it in hindsight.

Here's the issue though, traffic tickets are Class C misdemeanors here and my school found out about it. They contacted me and asked for clarification. I came clean, sent them supporting documents, and then apologized for leaving that info out. I even had my primary updated immediately. The person who contacted me said they would review the material I sent. Realistically, what happens in situations like this? I know I have at least some risk of losing my acceptance since I technically lied to the adcom even though I was as transparent as I could be after the fact. What are yall's thoughts? Any other courses of action I should consider?
I doubt they will dismiss you and doubt that the board will care if you're just honest about it. The real issues are when it comes to patient harm and crimes of moral turpitude

I doubt they will dismiss you and doubt that the board will care if you're just honest about it. The real issues are when it comes to patient harm and crimes of moral turpitude
Well, that's reassuring. I did come clean and sent over everything I could gather on the charge. The admissions director seemed to appreciate that but did note that the adcom would have to take a look at everything. They did not make any mention of taking further action other than reminding me that I should be sure to report this stuff for future job apps. Feels bad being in this sort of limbo though.

Well, that's reassuring. I did come clean and sent over everything I could gather on the charge. The admissions director seemed to appreciate that but did note that the adcom would have to take a look at everything. They did not make any mention of taking further action other than reminding me that I should be sure to report this stuff for future job apps. Feels bad being in this sort of limbo though.
I can understand the predicament, but honestly, this late in the game they care about things where you won't get licensed or things that may impact patients. This sounds like an honest mistake and anyone could have gotten those tickets. I've seen doctors be licensed with DUIs, so no big deal for a ticket

I can understand the predicament, but honestly, this late in the game they care about things where you won't get licensed or things that may impact patients. This sounds like an honest mistake and anyone could have gotten those tickets. I've seen doctors be licensed with DUIs, so no big deal for a ticket
Thanks for the insight on this. I have honestly been killing myself over this and I probably shouldn't be. I think I am more concerned about looking like a liar for not reporting than what the dumb little charge held. Hopefully, all goes well in the end!

Thanks for the insight on this. I have honestly been killing myself over this and I probably shouldn't be. I think I am more concerned about looking like a liar for not reporting than what the dumb little charge held. Hopefully, all goes well in the end!

Best of luck and please keep us posted!

I think 99% of people would get confused by this and write "no" on their application

speeding ticket is a misdemeanor? Lolwut?

And you said "crime" in your OP, speeding is *illegal* but it is not *a crime.*

HOWEVER, according to where you are at, apparently they ARE misdemeanors, which DOES make them a crime.

That, or your "silly little incident" wasn't as silly or little as you may have thought!

Best of luck, but if it was something like speeding/redlight/stopsign, etc, I could see someone being confused why it was listed as a criminal misdemeanor, and therefore why you would omit it.
Depends on your state or if you paid on time. It's not as easy as speeding tickets are not a crime

Reactions: 1 user