Legal precedent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Propofool123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In short, middle aged woman gets a scope by GI with propofol sedation. 8 hours later she signs a legal contract which is notarized. 3 years later she’s claiming that the contract is not valid because she had received anesthesia.

The notary (who was also a family friend) testified that they remember her not acting out of the ordinary that day.

Patient also remembers details of the encounter where the contract was signed.

Is there a legal precedent for something like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
In short, middle aged woman gets a scope by GI with propofol sedation. 8 hours later she signs a legal contract which is notarized. 3 years later she’s claiming that the contract is not valid because she had received anesthesia.

The notary (who was also a family friend) testified that they remember her not acting out of the ordinary that day.

Not sure if there js legal precedent here. But sounds like a damn mess.. This is why we tell patients not to make any legal decisions for 24 hours after receiving anesthesia.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)

The patient is trying to weasel out of something. Who makes a decision, gets a legal contract, has it executed and notarized all on the same day after getting an anesthetic. What next? went home and traded stocks/cryptocurrencies after propofol and lost a bundle and claim that it is our fault?

Reactions: 7 users
Is it even valid for a family friend to serve as notary? Seems like a big red flag / potential conflict of interest

It’s no different than having a family friend as your doctor or plumber. A notary only confirms your identity and your signature. They don’t say anything about sobriety.

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like bull****. Also why only after 3 years is the person trying to get out of signing the contract.

Also this is interesting:

Reactions: 1 users
When I explain the anesthetic for consent. I tell them no driving, nothing that requires fine motor skills, no alcohol or other sedatives, and no legal / important decisions for 24 hours.
I tell them nothing. The staff nurses can take care of discharge instructions.

Reactions: 8 users
I tell them nothing. The staff nurses can take care of discharge instructions.

maybe i'm going through too much information during my anesthesia H&P and consents?

I review NPO status for every patient even if the nurse already did so during their preop intake. I also tell women of childbearing age we use sugammadex which can interfere with hormonal contraceptives, and to use alternate means of contraception for 10 days. Etc Etc Etc

Reactions: 1 user
maybe i'm going through too much information during my anesthesia H&P and consents?

I review NPO status for every patient even if the nurse already did so during their preop intake. I also tell women of childbearing age we use sugammadex which can interfere with hormonal contraceptives, and to use alternate means of contraception for 10 days. Etc Etc Etc
Good to be that thorough but sometimes time can be an issue..