Lesbian wearing suit for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mabindaby

Still Alive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on women wearing men's suits for med school interviews. Or job interviews or research interviews, what have you.

I am not feminine and I do not feel comfortable wearing skirts, heels, or things that accentuate my chest or waist/hips. However, I am not on the extreme end of the spectrum inhabited by ultra-masculine bull ****s. I would consider myself to have an androgynous look, meaning I pass for a young boy.

My question is if it would be appropriate to wear a men's suit to an interview. Of course, I mean one that is well tailored, fitted, not the boxy thing that does not fit and looks like you stole it from your dad's closet. How the actual suit would look is not really important, I'm just wondering if the mere notion of a woman wearing a men's suit would be so scandalous that it could end up getting you rejected. If a clean, respectful, suited individual who looks like a boy sat down and you only found she was a girl when she spoke, would that be "Oh, ok." Or "Wha? A girl! Outrageous!" lol

I have tried women's suits before but I have not found one I would wear. I am not trying to make a "statement". I am just wondering if I can be both comfortable and accepted. If in the end it would be either the suit or an admit, the suit would go.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Members don't see this ad.

what about something like hillary clinton wears? It isn't too feminine.

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as it is fitted correctly.

Reactions: 1 users
Have you seen how a pantsuit looks on you? I am not a fan of skirts myself, so I find them way more comfortable.
Also, I think you can wear flats to an interview as long as they are work-appropriate (dark, plain, leather or patent). You don't have to wear heels to interviews. :)

As for men's suits, I don't really know how adcoms would react to it. Can't speak on that. But if it fits you well I don't see why not.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I was wondering what your thoughts are on women wearing men's suits for med school interviews. Or job interviews or research interviews, what have you.

I am not feminine and I do not feel comfortable wearing skirts, heels, or things that accentuate my chest or waist/hips. However, I am not on the extreme end of the spectrum inhabited by ultra-masculine bull ****s. I would consider myself to have an androgynous look, meaning I pass for a young boy.

My question is if it would be appropriate to wear a men's suit to an interview. Of course, I mean one that is well tailored, fitted, not the boxy thing that does not fit and looks like you stole it from your dad's closet. How the actual suit would look is not really important, I'm just wondering if the mere notion of a woman wearing a men's suit would be so scandalous that it could end up getting you rejected. If a clean, respectful, suited individual who looks like a boy sat down and you only found she was a girl when she spoke, would that be "Oh, ok." Or "Wha? A girl! Outrageous!" lol

I have tried women's suits before but I have not found one I would wear. I am not trying to make a "statement". I am just wondering if I can be both comfortable and accepted. If in the end it would be either the suit or an admit, the suit would go.

It would be utterly shameful if one were to be rejected for wearing a suit as a woman, and the laws are definitely against it. On the other hand, though, it could be one of those subconscious things that eats away at your image with the more conservative-leaning adcom members. On the OTHER other hand, I imagine the interview will be full of earnest discussion that would dominate the impression-forming process, trumping any effect of physical appearance (unless you were to come grungy-looking, which says, "I don't care" too loudly for anything else to drown out).

I guess, in the end, I have a favorable opinion of people who managed to get onto the adcom in the first place, and I don't think such a backwards notion of rejecting suits on women would gain much traction in their deliberations. I also don't think you'll ever be absolutely certain it's perfectly safe. Maybe you still want to wait and hear from actual adcom members though...

It would be utterly shameful if one were to be rejected for wearing a suit as a woman, and the laws are definitely against it. On the other hand, though, it could be one of those subconscious things that eats away at your image with the more conservative-leaning adcom members. On the OTHER other hand, I imagine the interview will be full of earnest discussion that would dominate the impression-forming process, trumping any effect of physical appearance (unless you were to come grungy-looking, which says, "I don't care" too loudly for anything else to drown out).

I guess, in the end, I have a favorable opinion of people who managed to get onto the adcom in the first place, and I don't think such a backwards notion of rejecting suits on women would gain much traction in their deliberations. I also don't think you'll ever be absolutely certain it's perfectly safe. Maybe you still want to wait and hear from actual adcom members though...

you sure about that?

A shame? Probably. Illegal? No.

You could have an interviewer who just doesn't like you, which could lead to a waitlist/rejection. The application process has many subjective parts (screening/interviewer/committee), hence why schools are so secretive about it.

Last edited:
Lot's of women wear pantsuits, though I've only seen a few that wore suits with ties. I personally hate ties, but if I don't think that it's a problem if that's what you would feel most professional in.

you sure about that?

A shame? Probably. Illegal? No.

You could have an interviewer who just doesn't like you, which could lead to a waitlist/rejection. Its a subjective process.

I meant as an explicit reason. "How dare she wear a suit! Rejected!" I mentioned it could manifest as a subjective factor.

I meant as an explicit reason. "How dare she wear a suit! Rejected!" I mentioned it could manifest as a subjective factor.

Yeah the process is a total crapshoot. The best advice I got and will give to others is to simply "not make waves." Avoid negative attention or anything that could be perceived as negative by someone who is maybe a bit more conservative/older. They make the decisions, not our peers.

You feeling comfortable and professional is far more important than whether your suit came from the women's or men's section. I think that a properly tailored suit will be fine.

Adcoms are not fashion experts.

what about something like hillary clinton wears? It isn't too feminine.

I don't think you'll have a problem as long as it is fitted correctly.

I was thinking more along the lines of Neil Patrick Harris: http://www.akawilliam.com/wp-content/gallery/nph/nph3.jpg

The thing with a Hilary suit is that it's still a woman's suit. I don't know what it is about men's suits that's special. I like the crisp-ness, the tie, how you look sharp and well put together. For me, there's a difference between a man's suit and a manly suit.

What Hilary was wearing, it's like a woman who's manly, not a man who's...womanly? No, that's not it at all. It's like, a woman who has long hair and is womanly and does the woman things, but just happens to wear flannel and baggy jeans, instead of a woman who looks, acts, dresses like a man. Short hair, no makeup, short nails, big watch etc. Like this: http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/lNp6bRUI_SE/0.jpg I dunno, am I trans?

Dude, this was just supposed to be a simple question, not make me question my identity... lol :laugh:

Basically, I guess the new revised question would be: How would adcoms react if your outward appearance does not reflect your biological gender?

My advice would be to suck it up and wear something somewhat feminine for your interviews. In an ideal world, you could wear whatever you want, but many people are subconsciously prejudice and may take offense to a woman wearing a man's suit. This will only be for a few instances, and you will avoid any potential disadvantages you may face.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No one will clearly out right reject you because they feel what you were wearing was inappropriate from their own personal views. But you would be surprised how much psychology is involved in the interview process, why would you even take the chance? Just bite the bullet this one time and once you get in you can wear men's suites as much as you want.

I saw plenty of women in pants suits. Get a mans pants suit. Wear a button down shirt with it, just dont wear the tie. I saw this on more than one occasion. The tie itself is going a little bit far I think, and you probably wont come across as too casual without it as a biological female lol. Personally, I see no problem in other situations with the tie+mans suit, but medical school admissions committees tend to be old white and conservative, and although you wouldnt want to mask your identity/change who you are just to get into a school (because then whats the point, you want a school that wants you as you are) but you dont want them to completely dismiss you without hearing you first.

My advice would be to suck it up and wear something somewhat feminine for your interviews. In an ideal world, you could wear whatever you want, but many people are subconsciously prejudice and may take offense to a woman wearing a man's suit. This will only be for a few instances, and you will avoid any potential disadvantages you may face.

No one will clearly out right reject you because they feel what you were wearing was inappropriate from their own personal views. But you would be surprised how much psychology is involved in the interview process, why would you even take the chance? Just bite the bullet this one time and once you get in you can wear men's suites as much as you want.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey guys,

I think you should ditch the suit. Interviews are all about appearances and, frankly, they matter a lot. I think your comfort should come in last place as far as priorities during an interview are concerned.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was thinking more along the lines of Neil Patrick Harris: http://www.akawilliam.com/wp-content/gallery/nph/nph3.jpg

The thing with a Hilary suit is that it's still a woman's suit. I don't know what it is about men's suits that's special. I like the crisp-ness, the tie, how you look sharp and well put together. For me, there's a difference between a man's suit and a manly suit.

What Hilary was wearing, it's like a woman who's manly, not a man who's...womanly? No, that's not it at all. It's like, a woman who has long hair and is womanly and does the woman things, but just happens to wear flannel and baggy jeans, instead of a woman who looks, acts, dresses like a man. Short hair, no makeup, short nails, big watch etc. Like this: http://i3.ytimg.com/vi/lNp6bRUI_SE/0.jpg I dunno, am I trans?

Dude, this was just supposed to be a simple question, not make me question my identity... lol :laugh:

Basically, I guess the new revised question would be: How would adcoms react if your outward appearance does not reflect your biological gender?

This suit actually looks like a slim athletic cut, wide up top, tapers in, etc. Are you planning on wearing a tie? What color dress shirt? How short is your hair?

I plan on wearing a suit (womens), but like others have pointed out, itf*cking sucks, but ADCOMs may look at you as your patients would look at you :(

I disagree with others, I think, dress in what you are comfortable in. Because, from experience, people can tell when you are dressed uncomfortably and it can mess up the rest of your interview.

This suit actually looks like a slim athletic cut, wide up top, tapers in, etc. Are you planning on wearing a tie? What color dress shirt? How short is your hair?

I plan on wearing a suit (womens), but like others have pointed out, itf*cking sucks, but ADCOMs may look at you as your patients would look at you :(

I disagree with others, I think, dress in what you are comfortable in. Because, from experience, people can tell when you are dressed uncomfortably and it can mess up the rest of your interview.

Man, I would wear a carbon copy of that suit if I could find it. I think I said in the original post, I look like a little boy. I think the term is called an asian tomboy but I guess, obviously, it's an asian phenomenon and peeps in the States never heard of it.

I basically look like this:
chris+hen+paio+liang.jpg

Probably not that cute though...:p

imgres

Here are your choices:D

Attachments

• hijab1.1223654621.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 178
I don't think it's wise for a girl to wear a man's suit. Clothes are made to be sex-specific. Any man wearing a woman's jacket will look "off" (e.g. weird shoulder/waist proportions). Likewise, men's suits will look unnatural on a girl. Besides proportions, it's easy to tell whether a jacket or pants are mens or womens. You may be able to pass as a boy, but you don't want your interviewers to be confused. If your name is a girl's name, don't contradict that image by wearing men's clothing.

I'm sure there are options for women in your situation, though.

Reactions: 1 user
imgres

Here are your choices:D

Oh wow...

Yeah you did say a little boy, but to me, when I see a caucasian woman who looks like a "little boy" I think more pixie versus my asian female friends who have that "little tom boy" look down.

If you are trying to go with the adrogenous look, certainly get a similar suit. You may even be able to have one customed. Remember there are pros and cons. But I guess the way I look at it, would you want to go to a school that would accept you for you anyway?

Man, I would wear a carbon copy of that suit if I could find it. I think I said in the original post, I look like a little boy. I think the term is called an asian tomboy but I guess, obviously, it's an asian phenomenon and peeps in the States never heard of it.

I basically look like this:
chris+hen+paio+liang.jpg

Probably not that cute though...:p

Can't tell if girl or 5aR deficiency. :confused:

I am all in favor of wearing whatever fits you well and feels good to you. However, I think a lot of women's pantsuits nowadays do have a more "masculine" look to them, so to be on the safe side, I'd look at both options when you're shopping for clothes. You don't want your clothing detracting from how awesome of an applicant you are, even if it means not looking yourself for a few hours.

I don't think anyone will be able to tell a difference between a woman's pantsuit and a man's suit, especially if you're planning on getting it well tailored. As one of the posters above me said, it's only the proportions that differ (i.e. drop, lapel width, etc). All of that is thrown out with the assumption that you're getting it tailored.

Just one heads up to look for, make sure to have the break of the pants (i.e. the slight bend that occurs right above the shoe) tailored for flats. Just remember that it's usually cut for a dress shoe (i.e. captoe) so it's designed to cover some of the laces. That cut would look ridiculous with a flat since it'll be too long.

Good luck

I don't think anyone will be able to tell a difference between a woman's pantsuit and a man's suit, especially if you're planning on getting it well tailored. As one of the posters above me said, it's only the proportions that differ (i.e. drop, lapel width, etc). All of that is thrown out with the assumption that you're getting it tailored.

Just one heads up to look for, make sure to have the break of the pants (i.e. the slight bend that occurs right above the shoe) tailored for flats. Just remember that it's usually cut for a dress shoe (i.e. captoe) so it's designed to cover some of the laces. That cut would look ridiculous with a flat since it'll be too long.

Good luck

If OP is getting the lapels tailored ($$$$$), she might as well spring for a custom suit :)

If OP is getting the lapels tailored ($$$$$), she might as well spring for a custom suit :)

Tell me about it. I'm still pinching pennies to get that MTM Brooks Brothers suit since I have naturally broad shoulders and an average waist. Trust me, the suit separate stuff sucks since it's all solids or black/navy pinstripes.

Tell me about it. I'm still pinching pennies to get that MTM Brooks Brothers suit since I have naturally broad shoulders and an average waist. Trust me, the suit separate stuff sucks since it's all solids or black/navy pinstripes.

Lol at Brooks Brothers, Gieves and Hawks or go home

You should probably go to Syms or Century 21 (or similar stores, if they have them in your area) and that way save some money for alterations. I have a similar problem - too athletic a build. Ah well...

Hey guys,

I was actually wondering about this for those people whose gender identity is not what people consider "normal." "I have this friend" who ... is a guy but identifies as a women. Is it okay to dress in whatever feels right or would I have to wear what I'm expected to wear?

I was actually wondering about this for those people whose gender identity is not what people consider "normal." "I have this friend" who ... is a guy but identifies as a women. Is it okay to dress in whatever feels right or would I have to wear what I'm expected to wear?

You wear what's expected, because someone might ding you for it. That attitude is inappropriate, but exists.

LOL you're kidding right?

Like someone else said, don't make waves. Could you get in wearing men's clothing to an interview?...probably, if your stats are ok and you are personable. But why risk it at this point. Medicine is, on a whole, a rather conservative bunch of people. I remember one of my interviewers was like a deacon at his church or something. I would say play the game, do what you need to do to get in, then just do whatever you are most comfortable with after that.

Haha, I actually am planning on getting a custom suit. Not in the States though (hella expensive) but in Shenzhen. Costs the same as an off the rack in the US and it's often ready in a couple of days.

That's why I'm asking now, if I should even get one, because I'm going back this summer.

You wear what's expected, because someone might ding you for it. That attitude is inappropriate, but exists.

Frustrating! So much for progress

LOL you're kidding right?

No

Like someone else said, don't make waves. Could you get in wearing men's clothing to an interview?...probably, if your stats are ok and you are personable. But why risk it at this point. Medicine is, on a whole, a rather conservative bunch of people. I remember one of my interviewers was like a deacon at his church or something. I would say play the game, do what you need to do to get in, then just do whatever you are most comfortable with after that.

The other way around. A no-go, I'm guessing?

Frustrating! So much for progress

No

The other way around. A no-go, I'm guessing?

I didn't mean to mock you or be condescending, but NO WAY you should show up to a medical school interview in drag.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

Surely you don't think it's appropriate to cross-dress to a medical school interview!

I didn't mean to mock you or be condescending, but NO WAY you should show up to a medical school interview in drag.

It sounds like you're doing both. I guess the only example I can give is if you were a dude, who identified as a dude, but you had to wear a dress or a women's business suit and flats to a hugely important interview. Imagine your level of comfort and confidence.

Now tweak that scenario a bit for my case. I guarantee you there are plenty of pre-meds who experience some degree of gender ambiguity.

It sounds like you're doing both. I guess the only example I can give is if you were a dude, who identified as a dude, but you had to wear a dress or a women's business suit and flats to a hugely important interview. Imagine your level of comfort and confidence.

Now tweak that scenario a bit for my case. I guarantee you there are plenty of pre-meds who experience some degree of gender ambiguity.

I have absolutely no issue with *your friend* wearing clothes designed for the gender *your friend* identifies with. It's none of my business anyway, but good for him for being himself.

That said, in professional situations one does not simply flip societal norms the bird.

And there's a huge difference. I am a dude, and if I wear women's clothing it'll look very strange. But if your friend wears men's clothing for a day at a time (per interview), nobody will notice anything off. In all sincerity, is it that uncomfortable for him?

Last edited:
Haha, I actually am planning on getting a custom suit. Not in the States though (hella expensive) but in Shenzhen. Costs the same as an off the rack in the US and it's often ready in a couple of days.

That's why I'm asking now, if I should even get one, because I'm going back this summer.

That's a great idea. I'm sure the tailors there can cook up something that fits your figure but does not have the ordinary "giveaways."

I'm also a lesbian that prefers to wear men's clothes and had the same dilemma when I interviewed. I was concerned about the conservative mood, so I opted to go with a woman's suit. I wore it with a sweater underneath to avoid the tie dilemma. A classmate (who interviewed with me) and I have since had a good chuckle recalling how awkward I looked. But I got in, so all is well.

If I had to do it over, I would have worn a men's suit. I think I would have been more comfortable. I had been concerned about the conservative climate, but I think I was more worried than anyone else was. For what it's worth, I now wear all men's clothes (including ties sometimes) in clinical situations. No one has cared so far.

I can't tell you it wouldn't matter in some places, but I don't think anyone would care at my school.

I have absolutely no issue with you wearing clothes designed for the gender you identify with. It's none of my business anyway, but good for you for being yourself.

That said, in professional situations one does not simply flip societal norms the bird.

And there's a huge difference. I am a dude, and if I wear women's clothing it'll look very strange. But if you wear men's clothing for a day at a time (per interview), nobody will notice anything off. In all sincerity, is it that uncomfortable for you?

Actually I still do around my relatives so I can probably suck it up for a days here and there. :) But I'm guessing this will be case throughout medical school, residency, and beyond, right? ... I can't imagine getting any "Love that dress on you, John!" comments during med school.