Less chance at a spring interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaMD

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know when I was interviewing in the fall all my hosts were like, "oh, you're interviewing so early, so have an awesome chance of getting in." And it does make sense that schools would pick the people they like best and start inviting from there. (Obviously leaving room for August MCATers and superstars who turn in their apps late, etc.) So do you think that interviewing near the end of the season means you have a smaller chance of really truly getting in?

I ask because I've gone on so many interviews that a. my boss is getting frustrated and b. I've spent nearly all my money (I am partial to eating and paying the rent...). But now I just got an interview from a very highly ranked school that was totally a reach (read: my MCAT is many points lower than their average). I can't decide whether to go or not...

Members don't see this ad.

logistically, it seems that there is less of a chance but i don't have any data to back it up so I dunno. All I do know is there is a chance. Since this a "reach" highly ranked school, i think you shouldn't care and just go to the interview. If you don't go, you'll be thinking years down the road "what if...." and may regret not have just gone through with it and paid the couple hundred bucks. For schools you are less interested in, then yeah don't go but it sounds like this particular interview is too exciting to pass up. I don't know if you are working in a medical field, but if your boss is a doc or familiar with med schools, i bet he/she would totally understant your need to go to this one.

And if you don't get in to this school, hey at least you can rest easy knowing you did all you could.

CaMD said:
Hey guys,

I know when I was interviewing in the fall all my hosts were like, "oh, you're interviewing so early, so have an awesome chance of getting in." And it does make sense that schools would pick the people they like best and start inviting from there. (Obviously leaving room for August MCATers and superstars who turn in their apps late, etc.) So do you think that interviewing near the end of the season means you have a smaller chance of really truly getting in?

I ask because I've gone on so many interviews that a. my boss is getting frustrated and b. I've spent nearly all my money (I am partial to eating and paying the rent...). But now I just got an interview from a very highly ranked school that was totally a reach (read: my MCAT is many points lower than their average). I can't decide whether to go or not...

Not sure if you have any acceptances in hand yet, but that should probably play a factor. If at this point you have not received an acceptance or could easily see yourself picking this reach school over any of those in which you have a spot reserved, then definitely go to the interview. Maybe it means more debt tacked onto that which you will accrue during med school, and maybe it means a pissy boss, but at least you will know that you have no regrets looking back at this application cycle.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, it sounds like both of you are saying, "go for it!"
That's what I've been doing thus far in the process. I'm just so tired of traveling!

I had told myself, no more interviews unless I hear from x, y, or z. And this actually isn't one of those schools. So I'm sort of breaking my promise to myself. But you're right, I certainly don't want to regret missed opportuntiies.

I do have 2 acceptances in hand, but I would probably go to this school over those (barring financial aid issues, which I can't really even factor in yet). Aside from those 2 acceptances I have 3 waitlists and actually I'd rather go to 2/3 waitlist schools than this reach school, but who knows how those are going to pan out, months down the line. If I could bank on one of those 2, I would not bother going to this interview. I hate not being psychic!