Let it go?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I scrubbed into a stat c-section. Standing next to the resident facing the fellow, they had just both finished massaging the uterus for atony. After the fellow took their hands off the uterus, a few seconds went by before I attempted to palpate the uterus to learn how it felt. The resident had their hand on the uterus but was no longer massaging it. Immediately, the fellow slapped the back of my hand. He then laughed causing the resident to nervously laugh also. I was not amused. During a previous stat c-section, both encouraged me to palpate the uterus for atony.

Does this warrant a report to Student Affairs?

Members don't see this ad.

I would say No, since maybe it was a “Stop doing what you’re doing immediately”, although I would have just said “Stop”, and definitely never slapped anyone (or any hand).

Maybe you can talk to them and ask if it was something you were doing wrong vs they didn’t expect you to do it and hence had that reaction.

Perhaps, next time you can ask if you should palpate etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No...don't stick your hand into an open body unless instructed to do so or asking permission. You very much need to grow thicker skin.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I scrubbed into a stat c-section. Standing next to the resident facing the fellow, they had just both finished massaging the uterus for atony. After the fellow took their hands off the uterus, a few seconds went by before I attempted to palpate the uterus to learn how it felt. The resident had their hand on the uterus but was no longer massaging it. Immediately, the fellow slapped the back of my hand. He then laughed causing the resident to nervously laugh also. I was not amused. During a previous stat c-section, both encouraged me to palpate the uterus for atony.

Quoted so future med students can see how NOT to act in the OR.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Proper Med student etiquette in the OR, stand, hands up, palms facing you, don’t touch or grab anything unless told to. You failed. For real tho as others have said, grow some thicker skin and stop thinking about “zomg this is my education “.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Yes report. All these boomer docs will say "lEaRn HoW tO AcT iN tHe OR.." but the truth is that this isn't the 1980's and someone slapping you constitutes assault in a court of law. I would suggest even consulting an attorney now so that you have some fire power when you speak to administration.

The only way we teach these dinosaurs that the ways of old are not ok is through our own actions and resolve. Yes, thick skin is important in medicine but so is, I don't know, the basic expectation to NOT be physically assaulted while at work?

Lawyer up and then report. And then do the same every single time someone touches you without your consent in the future. And then do the same every time someone verbally assaults you in the future too.

Welcome to the 21st century: you can't touch someone without their consent.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Yes report. All these boomer docs will say "lEaRn HoW tO AcT iN tHe OR.." but the truth is that this isn't the 1980's and someone slapping you constitutes assault in a court of law. I would suggest even consulting an attorney now so that you have some fire power when you speak to administration.

The only way we teach these dinosaurs that the ways of old are not ok is through our own actions and resolve. Yes, thick skin is important in medicine but so is, I don't know, the basic expectation to NOT be physically assaulted while at work?

Lawyer up and then report. And then do the same every single time someone touches you without your consent in the future. And then do the same every time someone verbally assaults you in the future too.

Welcome to the 21st century: you can't touch someone without their consent.

You had me for a second.

Reactions: 1 user
People do not like unexpected or quick movements in the OR.
For real though. Once I got a little too trigger-happy with a stapler that had been handed to me during closing and you could tell the attending was displeased one of my staples was not well-centered.

As someone said above don’t stick your hand inside a body without telling someone what you’re about to do. This applies to all holes. Don’t report.

Updated so current and future MS would know WHAT to do.

Clerkship director spoke to fellow. They were contrite.
Attendings: Not Gods
MS who responded: Bunch of lemmings.

Attachments

• Image 1.gif
    Image 1.gif
    1.2 MB · Views: 84
  • Okay...
No...don't stick your hand into an open body unless instructed to do so or asking permission. You very much need to grow thicker skin.
Yes but maybe attendings need to be more considerate and have better communication.

Lol.... Never held a job in the real world?
Lol yes I have and my first was very toxic but I still kept going, as a side note my jobs have all been permanent. I'm older than you probably, so I know how to be an adult and know how to get my meaning across without hitting ppl or insulting them. That's what my parents taught me...others taught their kids something else

Lol yes I have and my first was very toxic but I still kept going, as a side note my jobs have all been permanent. I'm older than you probably, so I know how to be an adult and know how to get my meaning across without hitting ppl or insulting them. That's what my parents taught me...others taught their kids something else

Lightly smacking someone's hand seems reasonable if someone unexpectedly and inappropriately reaches into an open surgical patient. There wasn't time to craft a finely worded e-mail.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Honestly, No. From their perspective what they did wasn't wrong if you think about it. However, I am sure there are better ways of handling it. especially, by just saying "xyzzy, no need to do this now." furthermore, they, in reality they can play it up in the manner as they had already felt it or it wasn't safe. Either way move on, as you move further, you basically make a binder in your mind of such actions and then forget them. Things like this are commonplace for med students, especially in a surgical speciality.