Let's also start Rejection(2007-08) thread !!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got a letter frm umn, rejected.:sleep: This my first rejection, others must be on the way, :mad::mad:waiting for some more.

Members don't see this ad.

Got a letter frm umn, rejected.:sleep: This my first rejection, others must be on the way, :mad::mad:waiting for some more.
I would say, don't loose hope. You have very good stats, still ray of hope and stay postive. I don't know what are their expectations from a candidate, i mean what is the cut off mark, for Minnesota. Your stats seems very competitive.

Good luck:thumbup:

Himal,

Just got 3 rejections in one day- Columbia, Pitt,UOP.... Total of 4 rejections so far.... I knew the mail was too heavy today :)

Going nutttssss here :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Part 1/part 2 :89(new format)/not taken yet
Toefl:250
GPA: 3.12
Nationallity:Indian
work experience/extra:6 months in India, none here
Applied:umn, uop, utscha , bu, upenn, nyu, umich
rejection:uop,umich, umn expecting more
Interview:just waiting n waiting...
acceptance:none
School choosen:none

Question: Do you really think that admission committee is looking only at NBDE and TOEFL? I don't think so. I believe that they are evaluating the whole file: CV, reco letters, personal statement, GPA, etc...
If they are looking only at NBDE and TOEFL, it doesn't make sense at all to admit candidates with 80s along ones with 90+. I think the stronger the CV is, more chances you have!
Good luck to all!:luck:

Question: Do you really think that admission committee is looking only at NBDE and TOEFL? I don't think so. I believe that they are evaluating the whole file: CV, reco letters, personal statement, GPA, etc...
If they are looking only at NBDE and TOEFL, it doesn't make sense at all to admit candidates with 80s along ones with 90+. I think the stronger the CV is, more chances you have!
Good luck to all!:luck:

Well, the point is the committee members are not looking on your files at all at beginning. If the school accepted 1,000 application files, do you thing they gonna look every single cv, recomendation letter etc? The admission staff will try to screen the application files based on the committee criteria - mainly your toefl or nbde scores and GPA...then after a certain small number of applicants screened, they will gave to the admission commitee to evaluate - in here they will start to look at your overall files: cv, recomendation etc.

The bottom line is if you can't pass that first screening, it doesn't mater how strong your recommendation and CV - it will end up in a paper shredder machine - unless if you know some one that can bring your files to a committee members bypassing admission staff.

Hope my 2 cents help.

Well, the point is the committee members are not looking on your files at all at beginning. If the school accepted 1,000 application files, do you thing they gonna look every single cv, recomendation letter etc? The admission staff will try to screen the application files based on the committee criteria - mainly your toefl or nbde scores and GPA...then after a certain small number of applicants screened, they will gave to the admission commitee to evaluate - in here they will start to look at your overall files: cv, recomendation etc.

The bottom line is if you can't pass that first screening, it doesn't mater how strong your recommendation and CV - it will end up in a paper shredder machine - unless if you know some one that can bring your files to a committee members bypassing admission staff.

I think my 2 cents help.
LKY: And are you a part of the admission committee?:rolleyes:

To the rest: They will read through everything that you send them and they will evaluate them. They are not idiots! Show them your best package and if destined you will be in. Good Luck every one and do not loose hope!!

I wish I am! :rolleyes:

I am just trying to help all of you. As g3k said..don't loose hope. Different schools have different criterias. So Apply to all school. In the mean time, you can try to improve your weakness!

Good luck!

did any one receive rejection from umich/ tufts? can we expect any more interview calls?

did any one receive rejection from umich/ tufts? can we expect any more interview calls?

For Tufts, they may call one more batch for interview. That what they said during the interview. Good luck!

To the rest: They will read through everything that you send them and they will evaluate them. They are not idiots! Show them your best package and if destined you will be in. Good Luck every one and do not loose hope!!

Interesting! so you think out of the 673 applications recieved at Upenn this year, there 673 SOP+ 673 questionnaire+ 673 CV AND :eek:2019 LOR's have actually been read. Its more than 5000 pages!
IMO, numbers screening does exsit, with variable strictness. If they are not impressed by your numbers they won't care neither about a foreign dean declaring that you are a God, nor about your driving motivation to excel as a dentist in the States. Dental assisting or Master Degree here in the US would change the formula though... After passing this preliminary screening, you may expect to be read;)

before you ask:

No, Im not either, but it's not hard to caculate:)...Think about the addmissions! 5000 pages of broken english and bad grammar (at least the 6 pages I sent:laugh:)... its a punishment!

Interesting! so you think out of the 673 applications recieved at Upenn this year, there 673 SOP+ 673 questionnaire+ 673 CV AND :eek:2019 LOR's have actually been read. Its more than 5000 pages!
IOM, numbers screening does exsit, with variable strictness. If they are not impressed by your numbers they won't care neither about a foreign dean declaring that you are a God, nor about your driving motivation to excel as a dentist in the States. Dental assisting or Master Degree here in the US would change the forulma though... After passing this preliminary screening, you may expect to be read;)

before you ask:

No, Im not either, but it's not hard to caculate:)...Think about the addmissions! 5000 pages of broken english and bad grammar (at least the 6 pages I sent:laugh:)... its a punishment!

It's a punishment... yes!! :D But they do. If they dont find something interesting they may scan through it. Why do you think they have the fee? It is to employ people to read our well written stuff and pick the cream. If it is just numbers that do the talking... why do you think the 96's were rejected in my batch at UMN and 87 and 88s were accepted. You can sit at home for 6 months crack part 1 with a 99. It takes a lot of courage to be a research assistant or do your MPH and have a part time job and get an 89 on part 1. Trust me if it were all numbers, UCSF, Pacfic, UMN and other schools would have students with not less than a 90 on their part 1 score. I met students at all these three schools with their part 1 in 80's. A live example is NileBDS.
I agree, it is all scores in some schools but not all. I don't know about Penn. The reason why they have the SOP is to see if you have anything to explain the weaknesses in your application. If you didn't, then it probably went to the shredder?? Or even your CV... if it had nothing to complement your 81 then it probably sneaked with those SOPs into the shredder. Almost all the schools that I interviewed at said that TOEFL had a percentage towards your application but TOEFL was the last one that they ever looked at.
Well if they are not looking at the SOP or the CV then they are probably not doing their job. :(
Nile... any input?

It's a punishment... yes!! :D But they do. If they dont find something interesting they may scan through it. Why do you think they have the fee? It is to employ people to read our well written stuff and pick the cream. If it is just numbers that do the talking... why do you think the 96's were rejected in my batch at UMN and 87 and 88s were accepted. You can sit at home for 6 months crack part 1 with a 99. It takes a lot of courage to be a research assistant or do your MPH and have a part time job and get an 89 on part 1. Trust me if it were all numbers, UCSF, Pacfic, UMN and other schools would have students with not less than a 90 on their part 1 score. I met students at all these three schools with their part 1 in 80's. A live example is NileBDS.
I agree, it is all scores in some schools but not all. I don't know about Penn. The reason why they have the SOP is to see if you have anything to explain the weaknesses in your application. If you didn't, then it probably went to the shredder?? Or even your CV... if it had nothing to complement your 81 then it probably sneaked with those SOPs into the shredder. Almost all the schools that I interviewed at said that TOEFL had a percentage towards your application but TOEFL was the last one that they ever looked at.
Well if they are not looking at the SOP or the CV then they are probably not doing their job. :(
Nile... any input?

You are not wrong at all. I wanted to say I believe they read, but only after the screening. This screening begins with numbers then may be a quick look at your CV to see any outstanding experience, postgrad, or a honor that might compensate for not-a-brilliant board score! But I dont actually believe that a SOP or LOR would complement a score in low 80's! however, your part-time assistance while you are preparing your boards would.

Talking about UMN. Maybe Elto or Axis would remember better than me. It was said that TOEFL is most important than GPA in their eyes. and Dr. Berthold explained some reasons.

Now NileBDS!! I think he did lots of things to cover his 82 or whatever his score was. CE, assisting, handskill, etc.. so yea its not ALL about numbers, but I would consider Sherif as an exception.

There are lots of reason to reject a high board candidate. what do you wanna do with 96 if the guy just can't smile.!!! or dont like to smile, or cant hold a 3 mins conversation...or just hangs around alone during the interview day.!! I saw all of these bums.

Finally there is no reason to neglict anything in your application. You have to do your best in everything. Whether shredder or not, you know what you have to do and they know as well!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are not wrong at all. I wanted to say I believe they read, but only after the screening. This screening begins with numbers then may be a quick look at your CV to see any outstanding experience, postgrad, or a honor that might compensate for not-a-brilliant board score! But I dont actually believe that a SOP or LOR would complement a score in low 80's! however, your part-time assistance while you are preparing your boards would.

Talking about UMN. Maybe Elto or Axis would remember better than me. It was said that TOEFL is most important than GPA in their eyes. and Dr. Berthold explained some reasons.

Now NileBDS!! I think he did lots of things to cover his 82 or whatever his score was. CE, assisting, handskill, etc.. so yea its not ALL about numbers, but I would consider Sherif as an exception. He is a warrior!

There are lots of reason to reject a high board candidate. what do you wanna do with 96 if the guy just can't smile.!!! or dont like to smile, or cant hold a 3 mins conversation...or just hangs around alone during the interview day.!! I saw all of these bums.

Finally there is no reason to neglict anything in your application. You have to do your best in everything. Whether shredder or not, you know what you have to do and they know as well!

I agree with Monreal. Dr. Berthold like a person who is not only excellent in score but also have a good communication skills. Good score doesn't guarantee you will get in - but it is one of the important part as other criterias. But again of course there are others hidden criteria they look at it such as, diversion of the class and etc..etc..etc. But the main point is try to excel everything in your applications and apply as many as you can.

Good luck!

Hi!
Congrats for those of you who show an "open mind"! G3K, thanks for your input, we are on the same wave. :cool:
Why do you think a lot of "bright" 90+ dentists are failing interviews and bench exams??? Just because the committee made an error? They are always evaluating right, but the candidate is doing 1 or more of the following:
1.comes to the interview in a short sleeve shirt, w/without tie,
2.maintains an inadequate body position, doesn't smile and gesticulates during the interview
3.answering around the point that is being asked, being also anxious/embarassed by the question
4.trying to be SUPERMAN in dentistry
5.on the bench exam the PFM is having a lot of scratches, box of class 2 is too much flared B/L, no inverted curve on B, too shallow/deep, etc...
6.and so on......

Good luck to all!

Hi!
Congrats for those of you who show an "open mind"! G3K, thanks for your input, we are on the same wave. :cool:
NBDE and TOEFL scores are just a minor aspect of "the play". The committee will NOT read your whole file at the beginnig, just scores, GPA, reco, personal statement. If they are interested, then they will review the whole file. Got the point? Do you really think they will NOT read anything but they will select candidates with a lucky 90+ on Part 1??? YOU ARE COMPLETELY WRONG!!! Why do you think a lot of "bright" 90+ dentists are failing interviews and bench exams??? Just because the committee made an error? NOOOOOO! They are always evaluating right, but the candidate is doing 1 or more of the following:
1.comes to the interview in a short sleeve shirt, w/without tie,
2.maintains an inadequate body position, doesn't smile and gesticulates during the interview
3.answering around the point that is being asked, being also anxious/embarassed by the question
4.trying to be SUPERMAN in dentistry
5.on the bench exam the PFM is having a lot of scratches, box of class 2 is too much flared B/L, no inverted curve on B, too shallow/deep, etc...
6.and so on......
CONCLUSION: if you score 90+ on Part 1 and TOEFL 100+ but you do 1-2 things of those points I've just mentioned above, people with 80's but with a very good CV, an irreproachable behavior during the interview, and good skills on bench exam will be accepted. Don't forget my words, and I really hope that dental schools will change their first criterias for interviews (NBDE, TOEFL) starting next year. Otherwise, they will be accepting candidates who just show high grades and nothing else regarding their profession.
Good luck to all!

Lets me straight this one out. People get 90+ is not because of lucky, NBDE and IBT/TOEFL are not like buying a lottery or gamble. You need an effort to get a good score that why committee members appreciate your effort and add more points for candidates who do good in score and of course others things they gonna look based on their school criteria.

DDS 1, do you think that people who have a 90+ don't have a very good CV or SOP? I bet they do and some of the 90+ candidates I met even have graduates and post graduate degree. They can communicate well and have down to earth personality!

I just wanted to say for all of you, you should try all your best not only in your CV and SOP but your scores are important too. And try to apply to all schools because they have different criteria, some school put GPA as their first criteria or NBDE as first criteria, others may look at CV or your working experiences as first screening criteria. As far as I know most of the west coast schools look more into the US working experience not as a dentist, but dental assisting and so forth.

And last of course communication skill is important, that why they call candidates for interview, meet and chat with you and judge you if you can communicate well with the patients, how you can handle the stress, your behavior or attitude, or future goal etc. Good luck!

I agree with LKY. Boards/Toefl/GPA are all important but at the end of the day it is how you present urself. I think no one knows for sure what the screening criteria is for different schools. But I do believe that the schools dont disregard any application based solely on the scores. I can say this as I have reasonable scores and have been rejected when I applied the first time. Strong application may get u an interview but I firmly believe that once at the interview everyone has equal chance.
1. Pleasant and friendly demeanor tops the list. (My opinion only)
2.Well dressed and confident.
3."Know it all" attitude is definately a turn off. The schools know that u are a dentist ,they are trying to know the "teachability" or how well u can learn.
4.Dont make ur school backhome seem worthless during the interview. It did teach u something, atleast a fraction of what u know today.
5.Be excited abt practicing dentistry in US ,again, do not say that the pracrice backhome is worthless. The interviewers most of the times have met or know some one from ur country so they will know if u are not telling the truth.
6. Good body language, eye contact , firm handshake and smile are important too. Girls dont be too shy be confident but not aggressive.( I used to all those, no offecnce to any one).
7. Most of all the interviewers know that u want to be in their school- as u have spent alot of time and money to get to the interview. Do ur research abt the school DONT look desperate to get into the school.
8. Answer all the quetions directly and to the point. Dont beat around the bush or say the same thing over and over again.
9. When they ask if u have any questions ask ONLY if u have any genuine queries that have not been answeres on their website, intro lecture or the tour. If u dont have any questions say that all of ur concerns have been answered.DONOT ask if u got in or if ur interview was good.THAT is a turn off.
10.Finally donot slouch, sit staight up and communicate well. How ever casual the interview may seem they are trying to evaluate u in the 10-15 min. Put ur best foot forward.GL
This is my two cents. Pls corrrect me if I am wrong.

hey thnx for the valuable info snigdha...really appreciate it

Thanks for the info guys.
I have a question though, what if we don't have experience in the States nor in the home country ( only volunteering at a practice - does that count?), from what you're saying here universities look at how much exp you have, right?
I just graduated this year and I was hoping not to lose any time....

Thanks for the info guys.
I have a question though, what if we don't have experience in the States nor in the home country ( only volunteering at a practice - does that count?), from what you're saying here universities look at how much exp you have, right?
I just graduated this year and I was hoping not to lose any time....

hello there,
volunteering counts and sounds very good, for some even better than DA experience; it means that you are so interested in dentistry that you agree to spend your time,for free, in a dental office to observe other people's work;
good luck!

hello there,
volunteering counts and sounds very good, for some even better than DA experience; it means that you are so interested in dentistry that you agree to spend your time,for free, in a dental office to observe other people's work;
good luck!

Great, thank you for your answer!!:)

I dont think they read each and evry application carefully they look at it overall scores any publications volunteer experience. from what I know of selection into med schools scores& gpa are definitely the most important criteria. however, its not just scores too you should highlight your achievemnts in your CV and sell yourself well in your SOP. IT's not just scores alone but they do do matter. I think:D

Yes, it's true that we have equal chances on the interview day. But my first concern would be this question: why a lot of candidates with 90+ on board, 100+ toefl, gpa 3.5+ ARE NOT GETTING INTERVIEWED??? Take a look on some SDN's forums and you will find their stats. It's incredible! I really think about what I have stated, that scores by themselves and nothing in the CV are not getting anyone the admission ticket. For some, not even the interview..... it's so sad.....
And regarding the volunteering: it counts a lot! Especially if you volunteered in US. It will also count your dental assisting, research experience (even if it was for a short period of time), publications, awards, extracurricular work, etc..... So, more you have in CV, more chances to get accepted.
Good luck to all!!!

PS: don't tell me again about "first application screening"! :smuggrin:

PS: volunteering means dental experience also. So if you have neither dental assisting experience nor a one as a dentist backhome, just don't worry, it will compensate. Hope my input cleared up your concerns. :cool:
All the best!

Yes, it's true that we have equal chances on the interview day. But my first concern would be this question: why a lot of candidates with 90+ on board, 100+ toefl, gpa 3.5+ ARE NOT GETTING INTERVIEWED??? Take a look on some SDN's forums and you will find their stats. It's incredible! I really think about what I have stated, that scores by themselves and nothing in the CV are not getting anyone the admission ticket. For some, not even the interview..... it's so sad.....
And regarding the volunteering: it counts a lot! Especially if you volunteered in US. It will also count your dental assisting, research experience (even if it was for a short period of time), publications, awards, extracurricular work, etc..... So, more you have in CV, more chances to get accepted.
Good luck to all!!!

PS: don't tell me again about "first application screening"! :smuggrin:

Despite the fact that what you said is reasonable, but keep in mind that each dental school has several other programs that they receive applications for. Schools like NYU and Upenn must receive a massive number of applications every year. I think someone said here on this forum that Upenn receives near 2 thousand applications from international dentists only.
I know if I was an employee at one of these schools I would go for first application screening, since I am not paid to read every single application.
What I mean is, try to think from an admissions officer perspective and you will find that screening makes a lot of sense.

Yes, you are right! It's almost impossible for Admission Committee and secretaries to review hundreds of applications. But don't forget one thing: we are not submitting only scores, but CV, reco, personal statement, GPA, etc... So why are they requiring all this data if they are not going to use it in reviewing our application? And it is their job to review the entire application. Moreover, it's a waste of paper and it is not fair!!!!!
Good luck with admission! :thumbup:

i too got rejected at umn. :(

Got a rejection from Upenn

Hi dental bug, Sorry for u penn, But Can u tell me how u received the rejection : e-mail or phone or letter. Coz I am still waiting for some reply from upenn since 50 days

I received a letter in the mail.
good luck
Hi dental bug, Sorry for u penn, But Can u tell me how u received the rejection : e-mail or phone or letter. Coz I am still waiting for some reply from upenn since 50 days

i too got rejected at umn. :(
chinnu96 sorry to hear about your rejection at UMN. i too am waiting for some reply from them since a month and a half can you please tell me if they sent the reply via email or reg mail
thanks and best of luck for the future

For the sake of reviving this thread .. just got two more rejections...when will this torture end ??

oh i am sorry about that u have received lot of rejections ,what are ur nbde scores? or maybe u 're doing something wrong.sop?recommendation letters?

first rejection letter......:D:D:D:D

U PENN :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

hey what should i do ? getting rejections
my stats
nbde-91
gpa-3.37
toefl-99
work exp-6months-india and 6 months US
APPLIED-UPPEN,umn,michgan,uop,usthcsa, nyu
rejection-uppen,umn,michgan,uop.

very disapointed

my stats
nbde-91
gpa-3.37
toefl-99

very disapointed

Don't worry ,@ NYU you have excellent chances......cheer up ....

dont worry ,ur gonna be enrolled at nyu.dont lose ur hope .

hi guys does f1 visa is effecting my application. my sop n recommendations are good because when i called michgan univ to ask about my weakness and how to improve my application. They said to improve my toefl score. rest everythings is good.

hi guys does f1 visa is effecting my application. my sop n recommendations are good because when i called michgan univ to ask about my weakness and how to improve my application. They said to improve my toefl score. rest everythings is good.

99 is not bad, NYU should take you, I think they have a minimum of 88, not sure though...

Me too received a sweet rejection letter from Upenn :mad::mad::(

With your GPA and Part I you are likely to have a great chance at NYU.
I wish you all the best

my stats
nbde-91
gpa-3.37
toefl-99

very disapointed

hi dont worry renu im sure nyu will definitely take u if not u should gave ur toefl again

Dear Dmathew 2007

I passed Part 1 last year at first attempt and got 92 and I have studied for 5-6 month Kaplan Book -very useful and Dental Desks.You can get good score if you study hard and not being afraid at exam.
Good luck.

thankyou very much. i have to retake it and may be able to apply next year. very idsappointed as i think i'm the only person who got such a low score.

dear DMM
HOW DID YOU FIND OUT ME IN THIS FORUMN.
its just from curiosity that i asked. anyway i'm happy abt your advice
Dear Dmathew 2007

I passed Part 1 last year at first attempt and got 92 and I have studied for 5-6 month Kaplan Book -very useful and Dental Desks.You can get good score if you study hard and not being afraid at exam.
Good luck.

Hello everyone
after posting two consecutive rejections, I am glad to say that I just got accepted at upenn. My stats werent that grt part I less than 90 no dental experience in US (anyone interested can see the second post in this thread) but I got in and so can anyone. just believe in yourself and try your best and leave rest to almighty. thanks you to all sdners for their help and encouragement.
and good luck to all who are waiting.
:thumbup::thumbup:

applied to six school got four rejections from UCSF,UMICH,UCOLUMBIA ,UOP

Thank you to everyone who posted their advice here, it really is heplful. And good luck with your applications. I'm aiming for UPenn or Temple too but I know it's hard o get in.... I'm really starting to stress out, I hope I do well with Part 1...:scared: