MD & DO Let's be real: 3.6/3.5/28 Cali resident. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jevindoes

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker on these forums. Now that the application cycle is approaching, I was wondering if I can get some honest opinion on what schools I have a shot at. Here is some pertinent information about myself:

UC Davis recent graduate, Exercise Biology major. I am really passionate about using exercise as prevention and treatment of the many chronic illnesses (heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc.) that plague our country.
-cGPA: 3.6
-sGPA: 3.5
-MCAT: 28 (10/8/10)
-Open to both MD & DO. Although I understand that I have much better chances with DO
-LOC's from 2 science professors (probably decent), English professor (good), a cardiologist (good), and a DO (most likely very good). Will probably ask for one from an ER doc from scribing.
-California resident, would ideally like to stay here to be close to family but will also apply broadly.
-Filipino (if that matters)

Clinical volunteer activities:
-Student-run clinic: Volunteering at a clinic serving local underserved populations (specifically WWII Filipino Veterans and their families and uninsured families). Responsibilities included: performing lab tests, recording vital signs and chief complaint then presenting to a medical student, triaging patients, uploading and organizing patient information into electronic medical records (EMR), and educating patients on common conditions (hypertension, diabetes, etc.). Also participated in outreach events at health fairs, WWII veteran meetings providing vital signs and more education.
-Established (along with 2 other volunteers) a diabetes empowerment program within the clinic under the supervision of a DO doctor and certified diabetes educator. Provided patients with 1-on-1 education and materials that could not be provided during regular clinic appointments due to time
-Intern at UC Davis medical center, Accelerated access care unit (40 hours)
-Volunteer at flu vaccinations clinics for the past 2 years

Physician shadowing:
-Shadowed a cardiologist (MD), internist (DO), and Physical medicine & rehabilitation physician (MD) (~110 hours)

Research
Unfortunately, no real research experience. I understand that this may be a huge hole in my application.

Nonclinical volunteer activities:
-Treasurer for health career organization on campus. Biggest project was raising money to hold a biennial Health Conference for pre-health students
-Sports Coordinator (Coach) for Filipino social organization competing in intramural sports
-Big Sib/Lil Sib mentorship program: Acted as a "big sib" to a "lil sib" who has similar interests and career goals as me.
-Volunteer at my younger brother's school. He has autism and sometimes needs extra attention to stay on-task
-American Red Cross disaster action team trainee
-Capital campaign secretary for my local church
-Intramural basketball (4 years)

Employment:
-Scribe at Emergency Department (1000+ hours)
-Sports Coordinator/coach for youth basketball (50 hours)
-Disc Jockey (7 years). DJing has been a passion of mine. I love music. I've DJed many events including weddings, formals, school dances, birthdays, etc.
-Sales associate at on-campus computer store (2 years)

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

Long time lurker on these forums. Now that the application cycle is approaching, I was wondering if I can get some honest opinion on what schools I have a shot at. Here is some pertinent information about myself:

UC Davis recent graduate, Exercise Biology major. I am really passionate about using exercise as prevention and treatment of the many chronic illnesses (heart disease, hypertension, diabetes, etc.) that plague our country.
-cGPA: 3.6
-sGPA: 3.5
-MCAT: 28 (10/8/10)
-Open to both MD & DO. Although I understand that I have much better chances with DO
-LOC's from 2 science professors (probably decent), English professor (good), a cardiologist (good), and a DO (most likely very good). Will probably ask for one from an ER doc from scribing.
-California resident, would ideally like to stay here to be close to family but will also apply broadly.
-Filipino (if that matters)

Clinical volunteer activities:
-Student-run clinic: Volunteering at a clinic serving local underserved populations (specifically WWII Filipino Veterans and their families and uninsured families). Responsibilities included: performing lab tests, recording vital signs and chief complaint then presenting to a medical student, triaging patients, uploading and organizing patient information into electronic medical records (EMR), and educating patients on common conditions (hypertension, diabetes, etc.). Also participated in outreach events at health fairs, WWII veteran meetings providing vital signs and more education.
-Established (along with 2 other volunteers) a diabetes empowerment program within the clinic under the supervision of a DO doctor and certified diabetes educator. Provided patients with 1-on-1 education and materials that could not be provided during regular clinic appointments due to time
-Intern at UC Davis medical center, Accelerated access care unit (40 hours)
-Volunteer at flu vaccinations clinics for the past 2 years

Physician shadowing:
-Shadowed a cardiologist (MD), internist (DO), and Physical medicine & rehabilitation physician (MD) (~110 hours)

Research
Unfortunately, no real research experience. I understand that this may be a huge hole in my application.

Nonclinical volunteer activities:
-Treasurer for health career organization on campus. Biggest project was raising money to hold a biennial Health Conference for pre-health students
-Sports Coordinator (Coach) for Filipino social organization competing in intramural sports
-Big Sib/Lil Sib mentorship program: Acted as a "big sib" to a "lil sib" who has similar interests and career goals as me.
-Volunteer at my younger brother's school. He has autism and sometimes needs extra attention to stay on-task
-American Red Cross disaster action team trainee
-Capital campaign secretary for my local church
-Intramural basketball (4 years)

Employment:
-Scribe at Emergency Department (1000+ hours)
-Sports Coordinator/coach for youth basketball (50 hours)
-Disc Jockey (7 years). DJing has been a passion of mine. I love music. I've DJed many events including weddings, formals, school dances, birthdays, etc.

Thank you in advance for your help! :)

Well obviously best shot is DO. You would need to retake and maybe get some research for MD. However at DO I think you will do very well.

Schools I recommend you look into:

Westernu
Touro ca/Nv
RVU
AZcom
At still soma
KCUMB
PCOM
NSU
DMU

For MD:
Oakland
VCU
Quinnipiac
NYMC
Western Michigan
Rosalind
Creighton
West Virginia
UC riverside
Loma Linda
EVMS
Western Michigan
University of Miami

yes DO is more competitive for you, not just in light of your mcat, but your GPA as well. those 2 items will keep you from MD, but not all of them hopefully as the guy above pointed out.

get research experience. you will lose what chance you have at md schools if you don't get at least some research experience

i believe filipino is urm

Members don't see this ad :)