Lets clear this up:UPenn Path-Wharton connection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LADoc00

Gen X, the last great generation
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im starting a different thread, because frankly, this topic is HUGE. If indeed UPenn somehow, in some bizarre back alley deal, is getting their residents into Wharton and bankrolling a good chunk of it then, ALL BETS ARE OFF. UPenn residency is king of the world.

I dont believe this for a second right now, because although Adam Bagg does wear nice suits to conferences, I have yet to meet a single UPenn grad with anything close to an MBA, in fact there are only a handful of practicing pathologists in the whole US with one.

So lets clear up the confusion:
1.) Maybe UPenn is allowing residents to take a special seminar course at Wharton?
2.) Maybe a Wharton faculty member comes to Path and gives a talk one day? Or even a whole series.
3.) Maybe a Path faculty who has HEARD of Wharton is talking about business and medicine?
4.) Maybe a Path faculty member who sat next to a guy at Starbucks who once attended Wharton and gave him a few tips is gonna pass those on in a mass email?
5.) OR, maybe in some crazy alternate universe scenario fresh from a old Star Trek episode, Wharton is telling UPenn path that although their residents have no management experience, no business training, no coursework in economics and no money to pay for tuition, they can come and attend course alongside the Smith and Barney associates and leave at anytime for a frozen section or blood bank call.

Which one is it???

How about Occum's Razor here folks. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Probably not a big deal. Look, when residencies are trying to recruit folks to programs, they're gonna exaggerate things. In all reality, residents are not gonna have time to go take business school classes when they're previewing cases and reading up on them 'til wee hours of the night. Taking business classes's just an option...but given the high demands placed on residents, especially first year residents, I can see a few people taking a class here and there but falling way short of getting a business degree. People probably get their panties in a bunch about this whole Wharton deal like other schools that have these elite business schools..."oooh, look I can take business school classes! maybe i should rank this program #1". c'mon let's get serious.

I heard UMich has free tuition for stripping school downtown, and all the Boston pgms have reciprocity with both bartending schools and AA!

Members don't see this ad :)
bente said:
I heard UMich has free tuition for stripping school downtown, and all the Boston pgms have reciprocity with both bartending schools and AA!
Ha! Well the stripping school graduates will be going elsewhere since there is quite a lacking of strip clubs in this state. Did you know that in full nudity strip clubs in the state of Michigan, you can't drink alcohol? WTF is up with that!

AndyMilonakis said:
Probably not a big deal. Look, when residencies are trying to recruit folks to programs, they're gonna exaggerate things. In all reality, residents are not gonna have time to go take business school classes when they're previewing cases and reading up on them 'til wee hours of the night. Taking business classes's just an option...but given the high demands placed on residents, especially first year residents, I can see a few people taking a class here and there but falling way short of getting a business degree. People probably get their panties in a bunch about this whole Wharton deal like other schools that have these elite business schools..."oooh, look I can take business school classes! maybe i should rank this program #1". c'mon let's get serious.

"Oooh look I can attend one of the best business schools in the world even though I am asshat with respect to econ" IS a big deal. Which is why I dont really buy it. A Wharton MBA would handily, handily trump any Path fellowship when it comes time for job searches.

AndyMilonakis said:
Ha! Well the stripping school graduates will be going elsewhere since there is quite a lacking of strip clubs in this state. Did you know that in full nudity strip clubs in the state of Michigan, you can't drink alcohol? WTF is up with that!

I'm telling your mother. :p

LADoc00 said:
"Oooh look I can attend one of the best business schools in the world even though I am asshat with respect to econ" IS a big deal. Which is why I dont really buy it. A Wharton MBA would handily, handily trump any Path fellowship when it comes time for job searches.
Yeah, I was being sarcastic. Basically we are concluding the same thing but from different angles.

AndyMilonakis said:
Did you know that in full nudity strip clubs in the state of Michigan, you can't drink alcohol? WTF is up with that!

Sadly, here in Vegas, tis also the same rule. Thats why we usually get tanked in the parking lot before going in those "types".

I'm trying to find out some more info on the whole Wharton thing and I'll let you know if I find anything out. I think it started because there was one resident who was interested in business and worked something out - don't know if it's for an MBA or just a couple of classes. As for whether Wharton would take a resident, I can say that I have classmates who started at Penn as MD/PhD's going into biomedical research who switched over to the Wharton school (to do a PhD, not an MBA). We also had at least 2-3 people who took extra time to get an MBA before graduating from med school (people who entered Penn as MD only candidates).

EvilTaz said:
I'm trying to find out some more info on the whole Wharton thing and I'll let you know if I find anything out. I think it started because there was one resident who was interested in business and worked something out - don't know if it's for an MBA or just a couple of classes. As for whether Wharton would take a resident, I can say that I have classmates who started at Penn as MD/PhD's going into biomedical research who switched over to the Wharton school (to do a PhD, not an MBA). We also had at least 2-3 people who took extra time to get an MBA before graduating from med school (people who entered Penn as MD only candidates).

I applied for an MBA in my MD/PhD phase (short lived) so I know you can get free/reduced tuition especially if you can scam the system by getting reclassified as a University employee and not a grad student (some specific grants can do this). The issue would be whether you can do this as a resident (which is a totally different ballgame), which I would highly doubt.

UCSFbound said:
Sadly, here in Vegas, tis also the same rule. Thats why we usually get tanked in the parking lot before going in those "types".
Yeah, I found this out as well several weeks ago. Was it always this way? I wonder if my home state has also come up with this law (Baltimore strip clubs are so ghetto though).

AndyMilonakis said:
Yeah, I found this out as well several weeks ago. Was it always this way? I wonder if my home state has also come up with this law (Baltimore strip clubs are so ghetto though).

Its pretty much like that in every state that has strip clubs. There are rare exceptions. It has to do with a pre Civil War law prohibiting the serving of spirits and vaginas in the same location.

In case people were still interested, from what I can gather, the department at Penn is helping with some of the tuition costs for taking courses, as long as you can justify how it fits into pathology and your career goals (with business management qualifying, although I don't think it's limited to Wharton). They are not paying for everything. This also does not mean you are getting an MBA at Wharton, but there are other non-MBA programs (certificate type things). I don't know how much money there is, or how easy it is to get approval, and I assume that the courses must not interfere with clinical work (you probably take a semester off to do the classes?).

LADoc00 said:
Im starting a different thread, because frankly, this topic is HUGE. If indeed UPenn somehow, in some bizarre back alley deal, is getting their residents into Wharton and bankrolling a good chunk of it then, ALL BETS ARE OFF. UPenn residency is king of the world.

I dont believe this for a second right now, because although Adam Bagg does wear nice suits to conferences, I have yet to meet a single UPenn grad with anything close to an MBA, in fact there are only a handful of practicing pathologists in the whole US with one.

So lets clear up the confusion:
1.) Maybe UPenn is allowing residents to take a special seminar course at Wharton?
2.) Maybe a Wharton faculty member comes to Path and gives a talk one day? Or even a whole series.
3.) Maybe a Path faculty who has HEARD of Wharton is talking about business and medicine?
4.) Maybe a Path faculty member who sat next to a guy at Starbucks who once attended Wharton and gave him a few tips is gonna pass those on in a mass email?
5.) OR, maybe in some crazy alternate universe scenario fresh from a old Star Trek episode, Wharton is telling UPenn path that although their residents have no management experience, no business training, no coursework in economics and no money to pay for tuition, they can come and attend course alongside the Smith and Barney associates and leave at anytime for a frozen section or blood bank call.

Which one is it???

How about Occum's Razor here folks. :laugh:

I know a former Penn faculty member who while there took classes at Wharton in medical economics or something and received a certificate (not an MBA) at the end. Maybe thats where the confusion is.